jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5604564/

Don Henley pulled a Linda Ronstadt.

At a recent concert, the former Eagles crooner drew some boos — as well as some cheers — and some angry listeners walked out when Henley talked politics. The singer poked fun at President Bush and Vice President Cheney while performing at the Amphitheater in Costa Mesa, Calif., and tried to defend Ronstadt, who was given her walking papers by management after she promoted Michael Moore’s anti-Bush film “Fahrenheit 9/11” in her concert.

“Given what my good friend Linda Ronstadt —” Henley started telling the crowd, but he was cut down as the audience erupted in boos, reports the Orange County Register. Henley responded: “Whoops — Orange County, we used to be able to have civil debate in this country. Not anymore.”

Henley then said that Bush and Cheney should sing his next song — and then performed Randy Newman’s “Political Science” — a satirical song suggesting that the U.S. drop bombs on any country that doesn’t like it. Ex-Henley fans responded by leaving the concert.

When will these "heart and soul" of America (the celebrity entertainers) ever learn?

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Cool! Thanks, Don. Thanks for saving Walden Pond. Thanks for working to improve conditions in your economically-depressed home town of Linden, Texas. Thanks for speaking your mind.

You forum members can also support Linden by attending concerts at Music City Texas. Don will perform there on September 14th and 15th.

http://www.musiccitytexas.org/

Upvote 0

vatuck

This town needs an enema!
Jul 3, 2004
✟10,632.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't object to any performer being political or getting political in their concerts. What they better understand, though, is that some people are not there for that. They simply want to hear some good music. People are going to walk out. People are going to boo. If you make a decision to "go there" at one of your concerts, don't whine about it when people don't like it. Simple as that. Performers have their first amendment rights, but so do the fans.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't object to any performer being political or getting political in their concerts. What they better understand, though, is that some people are not there for that.
Feh. If someone is tone-deaf enough to want to go to a Henley concert in the first place and then not expect to hear something political, then they deserve whatever annoyance they get.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
vatuck said:
I don't object to any performer being political or getting political in their concerts. What they better understand, though, is that some people are not there for that. They simply want to hear some good music. People are going to walk out. People are going to boo. If you make a decision to "go there" at one of your concerts, don't whine about it when people don't like it. Simple as that. Performers have their first amendment rights, but so do the fans.

I agree. If Henley's going to infuse political speech into his concert, at least let people know ahead of time instead of ambushing the audience. Now with the Springteen's upcoming concert, that's the way to do it correctly.

Upvote 0

drboyd

Jun 27, 2004
✟3,316.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Well, in Orange County, what did Don expect? :eyesroll:

I've been a big Henley fan for a long time, and I find his music rich in spiritual symbolism.

"I've been tryin' to get down to the heart of the matter/ but my will gets weak and my thoughts start to scatter/ but I think it's about forgiveness"

Upvote 0

vatuck

This town needs an enema!
Jul 3, 2004
✟10,632.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jsn112 said:
I agree. If Henley's going to infuse political speech into his concert, at least let people know ahead of time instead of ambushing the audience. Now with the Springteen's upcoming concert, that's the way to do it correctly.
That's very true. If Dave Matthews came to town (on a "political tour" for Kerry right now), it would be insane for anyone to show up and not expect political rheteric/speech, etc. I remember, though, when we were stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas, I heard Don Henley on a morning radio program (some local program, I don't remember who it was), and he was very political. Many people may not know that, though. Okay, I am rambling now. Remembering the past out loud.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eldermike

Pray
Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't these people have managers? The music business is a business, it's for profit. To make records, do concerts and tour requires a number of people behind the scenes, He's speaking out, but also risking the futures of others that believed in his talent. I wonder if He's so self absorbed that He can no longer see those little people that help him everyday.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟16,834.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let's add em up: Madonna, Alex Baldwin, Tim Robbins, .... That's the gamble when a celebrity over-assumes:

1) His or her worth
2) Pubic opinion

They have to realize that the rest of the country doesn't live in their 'world', that some of us have paid a lot to see a SHOW. The left seems louder only because they dominate media.

How many pans did you see, hear or read about "The Passion" before it came out? Look at the box office results. Many of those reviewers never even saw the film before they wrote those attacks on it. But that's another topic.

As far as Henley goes, if he had said this at a VH1 taped studio show, he would have gotten woots and cheers - a closed, controlled system. Live concert....boos. Welcome to reality, Mr. Henley.

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I thought he had died - and was confused by the OP. But then I remembered it was Robert Palmer who just died! They both used to be in famous bands.....Ah, I need dig out the 'ole LP's I have for BOTH.

Anywho, I too am a music fan of Don Henley's (Boys of Summer, right?), yet I would have had the same reaction with booing him after giving me a political rhetoric. Sorry to say - but that's not what people pay, like, $50 bucks a ticket for nowadays. I pay you to offend me??

As I said on the Linda Ronstadt thread - shut up and sing! LOL!! ^_^

How ironic is that another hit song of his SLAMS people for doing what he just did - airing "Dirty Laundry". Yup, when it comes to Don's hypocrisy with the President, he "hits him when he's up, hits him when he's down, hits him in the shin, hits him all around". The irony.

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Interesting. Seems to me that some of us have a larger voice than others. An opportunity to express an opinion that is heard by many rather than just a few. So the question becomes, if you were one of those people with a larger voice, would you use it, or would you simply "shut up and sing"? I'd like to think I'd use it. And, based on my experience in concert going, I'd say 90% of the people I've seen choose to use it as well.

So, is the issue that he expressed a political opinion on stage, or that you disagree with that opinion? If he'd said, "Stop the madness. Put an end to abortion." would you have booed and stormed out, or cheered?

So if I go to a Toby Keith concert and he praises the president and the war, should I storm out? Should I have expected something else? Shouldn't I have known before I went in that he had a different set of political views than I?

Seems like a case of poor judgement and thin skin for those who stormed out.

Upvote 0