TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was more than just a person who obeyed the laws of God. Jesus did everything he saw the father doing.

Is it possible for Christians to do the same?
Hi Jesse

scripture also say Jesus was the only one who ever walked the earth who is perfect

God bless

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Mat 17:18-20 KJV
(18) And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
(19) Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
(20) And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Joh 14:1-14 KJV
(1) Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
(2) In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
(3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
(4) And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

(5) Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
(6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
(7) If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

(8) Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
(9) Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
(10) Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
(11) Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
(12) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
(13) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
(14) If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

the reason we don't see more 'works of Jesus' in our lives is revealed by the Master Himself in Mat 17:20; He tells us three times in John 14:12-14 that it's not only possible, but that we should confidently expect this

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
I believe so. Otherwise Jesus wouldn't have said this statement:

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father." John 14:12 NKJV

I get it.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was more than just a person who obeyed the laws of God. Jesus did everything he saw the father doing.

Yes. If you want to do it like Jesus did, you will need to be seriously devoted to God (like Jesus was) for years. It is an extremely hard road. There are lighter versions of the same thing, though.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sure, it is God's plan for us to become more Christ like. However it is often hard for us to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit to the full for God often asks us to go beyond our boundaries. i.e. he will challenge us in our fears, and weaknesses, he will ask us to be bold when we feel timid. We might find it easy to talk about Jesus in a casual way, so he may demand something more, a more straight forward manner, to test how much of us we are prepared to give up to honour him. Paul said "I die daily", I feel he was not talking of physical death, but rather, crucifying his internal desires and fears to become like Christ. To be bold and strong, putting to death his internal desires for comfort.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Yes. If you want to do it like Jesus did, you will need to be seriously devoted to God (like Jesus was) for years. It is an extremely hard road. There are lighter versions of the same thing, though.

Yeah, I know it's a hard Road. It's also a very scary Road.

God may ask me to give up my life physically for someone else. And I am afraid to die.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Yes.
Jesus was obedient but also knew he His Father loved him so he wasnt just going through the motions. He wanted to be like his dad.

It is sometimes difficult for me to understand God's love, but I am learning from everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Sure, it is God's plan for us to become more Christ like. However it is often hard for us to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit to the full for God often asks us to go beyond our boundaries. i.e. he will challenge us in our fears, and weaknesses, he will ask us to be bold when we feel timid. We might find it easy to talk about Jesus in a casual way, so he may demand something more, a more straight forward manner, to test how much of us we are prepared to give up to honour him. Paul said "I die daily", I feel he was not talking of physical death, but rather, crucifying his internal desires and fears to become like Christ. To be bold and strong, putting to death his internal desires for comfort.

Yes, I do have a lot of fears. It will be hard for me to step out of my comfort zone.

For example, I have social phobia. God may call me to reach out to someone. Just saying hi to a stranger will freak me out. I don't mind saying hi to people that say hi first, but going out of my way is a little scary for me. I can respond to threads on here, but this is online.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
I believe so. Otherwise Jesus wouldn't have said this statement:

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father." John 14:12 NKJV

Thank you for your response.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Mat 17:18-20 KJV
(18) And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
(19) Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
(20) And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Joh 14:1-14 KJV
(1) Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
(2) In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
(3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
(4) And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

(5) Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
(6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
(7) If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

(8) Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
(9) Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
(10) Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
(11) Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
(12) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

(13) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.(14) If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

the reason we don't see more 'works of Jesus' in our lives is revealed by the Master Himself in Mat 17:20; He tells us three times in John 14:12-14 that it's not only possible, but that we should confidently expect this

Yes that is what Jesus said.

My faith is very weak.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes.
Jesus was obedient but also knew he His Father loved him so he wasnt just going through the motions. He wanted to be like his dad.

I hope with this statement (which I agree with,) we can understand the want for people to know God intimately who feel like He doesn't communicate with them, loves them, or even forgives them.

****I AM IN NO WAY TAKING FROM CHRIST****

The argument would be something like, "how do I know..." or "how can I be sure..." about God''s love and communion for and with me like Christ was. A lot of hurt and struggling people often ask this, and I think your comment shines greater context into perhaps why these questions are asked.

By the way, the OP is spot on. How, then do WE as humans trying to be children of God proactively keep our eyes on Him. In other words, how do you get the confidence in, and FROM God to be willing to be crucified by Him, for example?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I know it's a hard Road. It's also a very scary Road.

God may ask me to give up my life physically for someone else. And I am afraid to die.
Fear is eliminated through faith. God is protecting you enormously. Nothing can harm you unless God allows it for a good reason.

The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. (Isaiah 57:1, 1984 NIV)

The uncertainty of whether God will allow this is a source of worry for people, but it is Satan who is working for death. God is working for life. He is the source of all life. It is his nature to prosper life. He heals, he blesses, he encourages, he loves, he protects. He treats you like his precious child. The only real problems are that (1) sometimes we don't want to do what our heavenly parent says, and (2) we live in enemy territory in a warzone.

If a person's perception of God is not a great source of comfort, they either haven't been doing what he wants long enough or don't yet know him well enough.

Upvote 0

Larry Wilgus

Aug 1, 2016
Greensboro, NC
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Absolutely - we can do what Jesus did - preach the truth of the gospel and not corrupted denominational viewpoints, cast out devils, heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, and raise the dead.

Upvote 0

Vi

Sep 17, 2004
Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's key to remember our abilities come through the HS of God when we try to come to answers abt tbis sort of thing. ... And the will of God and the plan of God is dominant over our desires. A time of visual miracles served a purpose and we could say we are not in that time any longer but watch to see a time of visual miracles coming again. Being as Christ is impossible but a goal. Being like Him... Similar, is achievable through the HS. He is our example of perfection. But we are not part of the trilogy. But perhaps like a ray of sun is like the sun but not the sun, we can be like Him.

Upvote 0

Larry Wilgus

Aug 1, 2016
Greensboro, NC
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's key to remember our abilities come through the HS of God when we try to come to answers abt tbis sort of thing. ... And the will of God and the plan of God is dominant over our desires. A time of visual miracles served a purpose and we could say we are not in that time any longer but watch to see a time of visual miracles coming again. Being as Christ is impossible but a goal. Being like Him... Similar, is achievable through the HS. He is our example of perfection. But we are not part of the trilogy. But perhaps like a ray of sun is like the sun but not the sun, we can be like Him.

Your response is exactly why the over-church has had limited influence in our culture. Where does it say 'visual miracles' served for a purpose and we aren't in that time any longer? Who give you that authority to believe that or expound that as truth? Nothing could be further from the truth. Nearly all the entire church has become 'parrots' of wrong belief. They spew out with bright-colored boldness wrong concepts, wrong principles, wrong understanding - desiring to impact our cultures, but are stuck in the mire of corrupted church doctrines and wonder why no one is listening.

If you think we aren't empowered by the Holy Spirit to do the works of Jesus today, you must be reading a church doctrine of doubt and unbelief, and not the Bible.

Upvote 0

JudyH

Site Supporter
May 6, 2009
Maryland, U.S.
✟25,213.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do have a lot of fears. It will be hard for me to step out of my comfort zone.

For example, I have social phobia. God may call me to reach out to someone. Just saying hi to a stranger will freak me out. I don't mind saying hi to people that say hi first, but going out of my way is a little scary for me. I can respond to threads on here, but this is online.

Hi, I love your honesty and humility. "God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble." There is no need for you to worry about what God might ask you to do at some point in the future. If/when He asks something of you, He will give you the tools you need to do it. Yes, it might still be a little scary, but you will have the grace and courage to do what He asks.

Jesus said that He did only what He saw the Father doing. I believe our task, if we want to be like Him, is to do our best to "see" what He is doing. That involves spending time with Him, seeking to know Him, learning to hear Him speak, reading Scripture, being willing to wait until we have an answer. His desire is to make Himself known to us, so if we are willing to give Him the opportunity, He will meet us more than halfway.

I am sure that you will be blessed on your journey.

Upvote 0