Does the typical Southern Baptist church believe God still heals?

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you are conflating healing in the church with the gift of healing. (Thanks for answering, btw). If one has the gift of healing, they can use it without the anointing of oil, and such.

Actually , I was talking about the gift also .. People may have a gift without knowing .. Have you received your gift by the laying on of hands in the presbytery ? Stir up that gift that is within you .. If the Spirit is subject to the prophet then the prophet must allow the Spirit to operate .. My first hurdle was raising my arms when I praised or prayed , I wasn't comfortable but I was reading word for word that I should , great blessing !!! It's that simple ..
Some folk call it leaving your comfort zone but it can be a real barrier to overcome pride , for me anyway .. Peace , just trying to share .. I've had a hand in miracles , just obey and leave the results to Jesus .. It is all about bringing glory to Jesus

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Paul,

I'll leave it to you who are Southern Baptists to discuss the 'healing' views. There are many other Baptists around the world and I'm one of them, who have a biblical understanding of healing.

I don't know what caused you to go to the "last tried must have worked" syndrome in your response to me as my replies have not in any way approached that kind of thinking.

did you or did you not post this? Hint for the quiz: you did.

If you were living in the Central Africa Republic, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Bhutan, India, East Timor and Vanuatu where access to first class medical treatment is rare or sub-standard, you may find it much easier to investigate what the Bible says about the gift of healings and praying for the sick.

Would you not expect to have less than logical ways of thinking in those places?

Including "last tried must have worked".

You'll even find that in the USA.

Anyway, its perfectly easy to "investigate" what the Bible says about the gift of healings and prayer for the sick right here in the USA. We can even get on the internet discussion forums and discuss our ideas with others, instead of just being stuck with a single church in our village for ideas.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Actually , I was talking about the gift also .. People may have a gift without knowing .. Have you received your gift by the laying on of hands in the presbytery ? Stir up that gift that is within you .. If the Spirit is subject to the prophet then the prophet must allow the Spirit to operate .. My first hurdle was raising my arms when I praised or prayed , I wasn't comfortable but I was reading word for word that I should , great blessing !!! It's that simple ..
Some folk call it leaving your comfort zone but it can be a real barrier to overcome pride , for me anyway .. Peace , just trying to share .. I've had a hand in miracles , just obey and leave the results to Jesus .. It is all about bringing glory to Jesus

So are you saying that each congregation has someone with the gift, but that they don't know it?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,749,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding of what the gift of healing is, or or limit it. Look at this verse again: from here

1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, G2386 helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Look at what the word healing means per Thayers: " a means of healing, remedy, medicine".

In other words, it doesn't mean an instant or miraculous healing, like a faith healing, necessarily at all. It means that some are gifted in providing a remedy or a medicine. Is all healing physical? Or is there emotional or spiritual healing, as well? I believe it includes all three.

OsSpen, when you went to the doctor, had surgery, you did have healing. Before the open-heart procedure was developed, you would not have survived. God doesn't say we will be physically perfect. Not in this life anyway.

Yes, God can, if He choose, solve a physical problem. I know a minister who was an alcoholic and smoked a great deal. At his conversion, after decades of alcohol addiction, God immediately removed his desire for drink. Hasn't had a drink in nearly 20 years or more now. However, that smoking habit is one he is having a great deal of difficulty shaking. It could be that God wanted him to learn from that struggle.

Another example to consider (and a true story), a man is in the hospital dying from cancer and a group of church members from his church came to pray and included the minister. They prayed over him, and each felt the Spirit move in that room. The man dying got a huge smile, and though he was not physically cured from cancer, said it was all worthwhile, and he would go through it again, in order to feel God's grace like that. He was not physically healed, but did feel spiritually healed and totally blessed, and went peacefully a bit later. Healing is more than physical.

Upvote 0