Does the typical Southern Baptist church believe God still heals?

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think we need a 'reconsideration' of the Scriptures. We need an accurate interpretation of the Scriptures. One of the gifts that God gives to the church. is the 'gift of healings' (1 Cor 12:9). Please note the plural.

There you go. If the churches had the power of healing why do we need Doctors, clinics, hospitals?

Upvote 0

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There you go. If the churches had the power of healing why do we need Doctors, clinics, hospitals?

Jesus could heal anyone, yet when report of the collapse of the tower of Siloam was brought to him, the response wasn't quite what one would expect. Instead of immediately raising the unfortunate from the dead, the rhetorical question was "think these were any more evil than you?" Implicit in this is that there is a time and place for both suffering and death.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It's because of your myopic view of healing. The Scriptures address 2 issues regarding healing:

1. Colossians 4:14 states, 'Luke the beloved physician greets you, as does Demas' (ESV). Therefore, Luke's work as a physician is affirmed. The Scriptures agree with the work physicians of medicine.
  2. In the church of the living God, the Bible teaches, 'to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit' (1 Cor 12:9). The supernatural gifts of healing are available by the Holy Spirit as one of the spiritual gifts to function in the church. This is how 1 Cor 12 continues:
27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? (ESV)

Note the emphasis, 'God has appointed in the church ... gifts of healing' and 'Do all possess gifts of healing?' In this latter verse the Greek construction expects the answer, 'No', because ALL do not possess gifts of healing. BUT, God has appointed in the church 'gifts of healing'. Who are you and I to exclude such teaching? You may not have seen such healing as one of the gifts of the Spirit, but the Spirit does give this gift in congregations.

Oz

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
OZ, can you name any Christian with the gift of healing alive today?

Just one. This will settle the issue because then those who don't believe they exist can go and video tape these healing and put them on YouTube. It will be there for all to see, just like Jesus healed in front of unbelievers and healed unbelievers.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
OZ, can you name any Christian with the gift of healing alive today?

Just one. This will settle the issue because then those who don't believe they exist can go and video tape these healing and put them on YouTube. It will be there for all to see, just like Jesus healed in front of unbelievers and healed unbelievers.

For you to even ask this question, you are misunderstanding the nature of the 'gifts of healing' as gifts of the Spirit when the church gathers.

What you wish to 'settle the issue' is according to what you want to see. God is not a showman who is here to exalt his gifts among people in the church. I will not play your game as the gifts of the Spirit are for the edification of the church and not to inflate anyone's ego.

Please don't try playing that game with me. You are flaming me with this kind of approach. Please quit it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's because of your myopic view of healing. The Scriptures address 2 issues regarding healing:

1. Colossians 4:14 states, 'Luke the beloved physician greets you, as does Demas' (ESV). Therefore, Luke's work as a physician is affirmed. The Scriptures agree with the work physicians of medicine.
  2. In the church of the living God, the Bible teaches, 'to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit' (1 Cor 12:9). The supernatural gifts of healing are available by the Holy Spirit as one of the spiritual gifts to function in the church. This is how 1 Cor 12 continues:

Note the emphasis, 'God has appointed in the church ... gifts of healing' and 'Do all possess gifts of healing?' In this latter verse the Greek construction expects the answer, 'No', because ALL do not possess gifts of healing. BUT, God has appointed in the church 'gifts of healing'. Who are you and I to exclude such teaching? You may not have seen such healing as one of the gifts of the Spirit, but the Spirit does give this gift in congregations.

Oz

So, according to your understanding of this passage, a sign of a true church would be that someone has a gift of healing. Who would that be in your church?

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Baptists are people of the Book. Scripture says "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8 If Lord Jesus wants to perform miracles and answer prayers, He is free to do so. He is Lord. Of course Baptists believes God still heals..at least the ones who know their Bibles.

What the biblical Baptist will not embrace are doctrines that are not biblical. And there are a lot of non biblical doctrines around..

Of course lets not forget Baptists are independent autonomous churches..I am a Southern Baptist who was an Assemblies of God.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
So, according to your understanding of this passage, a sign of a true church would be that someone has a gift of healing. Who would that be in your church?
I never said that or even hinted at that. What causes you to distort what I say like that? You have built a straw man about my beliefs.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Baptists are people of the Book. Scripture says "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8 If Lord Jesus wants to perform miracles and answer prayers, He is free to do so. He is Lord. Of course Baptists believes God still heals..at least the ones who know their Bibles.

What the biblical Baptist will not embrace are doctrines that are not biblical. And there are a lot of non biblical doctrines around..

Of course lets not forget Baptists are independent autonomous churches..I am a Southern Baptist who was an Assemblies of God.
Thank you, KnowHisJoy77. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For you to even ask this question, you are misunderstanding the nature of the 'gifts of healing' as gifts of the Spirit when the church gathers.

What you wish to 'settle the issue' is according to what you want to see. God is not a showman who is here to exalt his gifts among people in the church. I will not play your game as the gifts of the Spirit are for the edification of the church and not to inflate anyone's ego.

Please don't try playing that game with me. You are flaming me with this kind of approach. Please quit it.
I'm saying prove your answer by telling me of a person with this gift of instant healing. This is not a game to me. Jesus had a massive following for a time because people heard what he did, not because he was the Christ, and he healed and fed them out of love. Peter wasn't in church when he healed the lame man. He was in a visible location outside.

There is not a known person today who can instantly heal. That's a fact.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm saying prove your answer by telling me of a person with this gift of instant healing. This is not a game to me. Jesus had a massive following for a time because people heard what he did, not because he was the Christ, and he healed and fed them out of love. Peter wasn't in church when he healed the lame man. He was in a visible location outside.

There is not a known person today who can instantly heal. That's a fact.
You are not answering the issues I raised in #26. Therefore, I am left to conclude that yours is a red herring logical fallacy.

We cannot have a reasonable conversation when you use such fallacious reasoning.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I never said that or even hinted at that. What causes you to distort what I say like that? You have built a straw man about my beliefs.

I believe you said that we are not to exclude teaching about God appointing in the church gifts of healing.

Are you now excluding that in your own church?

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I believe you said that we are not to exclude teaching about God appointing in the church gifts of healing.

Are you now excluding that in your own church?
We cannot have a rational conversation when you distorted what I said at #27 with a straw man fallacy. Here you are trying to catch me in the straw man trap again. I won't buy into what you are attempting to do.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We cannot have a rational conversation when you distorted what I said at #27 with a straw man fallacy. Here you are trying to catch me in the straw man trap again. I won't buy into what you are attempting to do.

Just because you claim that I distorted what you said doesn't make it so. So either explain how I distorted what you said, or address what I said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No I don't misunderstand the gifts of the Spirit. It has nothing to do with a church gathering. No where in the Scripture does it say when the church gathers is when these will be used and be done in some back room closed to the public as some right of entrance into the faith.

Acts 2 was a public. So public people did believe it was some spectacle and mocked them. Peter, in Acts 3, doesn't go into some private room to heal the lame man. He does it out in the open. No faith involved by the man. He was a beggar at a location that was busy with people. Acts 5, People are laying sick people in the streets because what was happening became known around the region that they hoped for shadows to be cast on the sick. That's a spectacle, whether out of awe or whatever. This isn't something people whispered around like it was a cult practice they were trying to perform.

I wanted proof that there is a instant healer out in the world. why can't you just say you don't know of one existing today? That neither validates me or you. But I have yet to hear of a person existing since the Apostles.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
No I don't misunderstand the gifts of the Spirit. It has nothing to do with a church gathering. No where in the Scripture does it say when the church gathers is when these will be used and be done in some back room closed to the public as some right of entrance into the faith....

I wanted proof that there is a instant healer out in the world. why can't you just say you don't know of one existing today? That neither validates me or you. But I have yet to hear of a person existing since the Apostles.

This is a straw man fallacy regarding my view. It is an absolutely false view of what I believe. Would you please quit building this false view of my theology.

1 Corinthians 14:26 is very clear that the gifts of the Spirit are manifest in the church gathering:
What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up (NIV).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This is a straw man fallacy regarding my view. It is an absolutely false view of what I believe. Would you please quit building this false view of my theology.

1 Corinthians 14:26 is very clear that the gifts of the Spirit are manifest in the church gathering:

So when your church gathers, who has the gift of healing?

Upvote 0