Does the Holy Spirit have a truly divine and a truly avian nature?

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not surprised "bird boy" would think that way. But one must realize that the Holy Spirit could appear as anything. A dove, yes, but also as a person, in a dream, as thoughts, and in any physical manifestation or "bodily form". So the HS is not avian per se.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's interesting that "Jonah" is the Hebrew for "dove"; and that Jesus spoke of Himself as the "sign of Jonah": Luke 11:29-30

How long has the symbol of a dove been associated with peace? Would a 1st century Jew speaking of himself as the "sign of Jonah" have been understood by those around him as saying that he is a sign of peace?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How long has the symbol of a dove been associated with peace?

I'm not sure we can answer that question; but if I were to hypothesize, since the day the dove returned to Noah with the olive branch?

Would a 1st century Jew speaking of himself as the "sign of Jonah" have been understood by those around him as saying that he is a sign of peace?

No, they would have understood Jonah being sent to preach the judgment coming to Nineveh, and the call to repentance in the face of judgment.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But one must realize that the Holy Spirit could appear as anything. A dove, yes, but also as a person, in a dream, as thoughts, and in any physical manifestation or "bodily form".

Great, you completely dismantled and destroyed my pet heresy in two sentences. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0