Does the Bible 'truly' teach us 'not to judge'?

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's the key to that question:
John 5:30
30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Yes, we may judge. But we are to judge behaviors by God's standard, not our own. We are not to judge the fate of any person, that is not for us to know, but God only.

The caveat, by whatever standard we judge, we will be held to the same standard.

Upvote 0

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
Retired police/retired engineer
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
"Judging" by God's standards makes perfect sense to me.
http://www.studyyourbibleonline.com/bible-study/do-not-eat-with-such-a-one-i-corinthians-511/
He gives a list that includes the sexually immoral, greedy, idolater, slanderer, drunk, and cheat.
^^from:
http://www.studyyourbibleonline.com/bible-study/do-not-eat-with-such-a-one-i-corinthians-511/
It's clear to me that there are Biblical standards for avoiding
such persons that have not changed behaviors.
There is a man I "judge" a pervert based upon his behavior.
Why?
He boasts of a collection of hundreds of inappropriate content flicks including
"kiddy" inappropriate content.
He is a disgusting person to me.
I do not make "buddies" with people that are drunks, perverts,
criminals.
If members of my family are such people I don't need to be
around them.
I don't have to be mean to them but I don't want their company.
Those that once were such people but changed behaviors and
no longer indulge in such perversions are likely persons that
yielded to a higher standard.
At least one would hope.

Upvote 0

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Can a pedophile change?
Nope.
Pedophiles harm innocent children, usually irreparably.
They can no more "change" than a heterosexual can become
a homosexual.
Pedophiles' brains are hardwired.
Google it please.
I know these things from having arrested pedophiles and locking
them up for a loooooooooooooong time.
Sometimes pedophiles in prison are killed by lifers while
in prison. Even those criminals serving life have kids.
Ho, hum.......................so it goes.:sigh::sigh:
I'm fresh out of sympathy for such animals.
Do members here think me judgmental?
Sorry I don't even care an iota.
Walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me.
22.5 years service, Chief of investigations. Thirteen serious injuries
suffered "in the line", back broken four times and now crippled.
Add severe p.t.s.d. and depression to that mix.
It's all good now though.
I earned two degrees and retired again from General Motors.:clap:
Not being paranoid any longer I don't even carry a gun now.
But you can bet there is one real close by ALL THE TIME!:oldthumbsup:
Christian I am. Stupid I'm not.:smile:

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And that's not the complete truth either. We are certainly able to judge 'people' according to their 'fruit'. That means that we most certainly 'are' to judge 'people' according to their 'understanding and actions'.

So you can condemn a person before God, because you are knowing of their inner character and ultimate plan God has for them?

So you can judge Paul the Pharisee then and determine his worthlessness because he partook of murder?

Judgement of personhood is not discerning of motives or deeds, but rather goes deeper, where we make a determination about a person.

"They are a liar." So you are saying that person's nature is a liar, and they will never change by the power of God?

And if we call someone a liar who is a Christian, it's a false teaching, because God has made them righteous and blameless eternally, even should they lie.

I mean, I judge all the time. Christians are idiots. However, in the nature of Christ put in them, they are perfect.

Lost people are all satanists, because satan's spirit dwells in them... but in God's plan for their destiny, that's not the truth of how God sees them.

God saw me as his child, when I was a lost sinner who did all evil. If you focus on the evil, determine this is the ultimate fate of a person with your judgement that they "are so", then that just makes you deceived yourself and God can judge you on it.

Upvote 0

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We are not the great judge, but we can speak with just words and with right sayings, while others can speak wrongly, whom we should be able to rebuke in exhortation. It is for betterment, edification, and teaching, not for adamant demands, which hold god in a box. God can do anything, and his judgements are his own, and can be changing depending on his will. People don't like to know that part though.

As far as the church goes people on here like to hold the church as more true than the bible, which is weird. Should almost dismiss their arguments immediately, except that you should want to help them out of it.

~ Standing ovation ~

Upvote 0

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corinthians 5:11
"But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people."

^^
A judgment of a person based upon actions & behavior?
An "assessment" if you like?
As I've said here many times I attend addiction recovery gatherings
at least 5 X a week.
Some members in recovery groups have killed others and did
serious prison time.
I don't condemn or "judge" for what they were.
I accept them for what they are.
Get that?
Is that too confusing for some?
Two members I associate with are an openly homosexual couple.
My fiance and I have had lunch with them.
I don't condemn them for what they are.
God judges. I do not.
One is my beloved sponsor in recovery. I figure if he can stay
sober in the face of social condemning I can also.
I have never been charged with a crime of any kind yet I
attend recovery meetings with those that have done prison time.
Addiction is the great leveler of people.
When I was in rehab some time ago there were many trying to
recover from heroin addiction. Not the dregs of society but
doctors and lawyers children. Pagan motorcycle gang members
and Christians all suffering from addiction.
I judged none of them for the attempt to recover.
They may not commit another crime again.
We can only pray for them.
(and me if ya like)
If I drink alcohol just ONE more time I'll die.
I'm that sick with diabetes now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Stillicidia said:
We are not the great judge, but we can speak with just words and with right sayings, while others can speak wrongly, whom we should be able to rebuke in exhortation. It is for betterment, edification, and teaching, not for adamant demands, which hold god in a box. God can do anything, and his judgements are his own, and can be changing depending on his will. People don't like to know that part though.

As far as the church goes people on here like to hold the church as more true than the bible, which is weird. Should almost dismiss their arguments immediately, except that you should want to help them out of it.

I appreciate that ^^^ comment.
I've met devout church goers that were so self righteous that
I wanted to puke!
Not all of course but certainly some.
My significant others brother & his wife are that sort.
Nice enough but coated with sugar and soothing syrup.
"Sitting in a church does not make one a Christian anymore
than sitting in a chicken coop makes one a chicken."
Quote from a devout Christian lady I once knew.

Upvote 0

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Stillicidia said:

I appreciate that ^^^ comment.
I've met devout church goers that were so self righteous that
I wanted to puke!
Not all of course but certainly some.
My significant others brother & his wife are that sort.
Nice enough but coated with sugar and soothing syrup.
"Sitting in a church does not make one a Christian anymore
than sitting in a chicken coop makes one a chicken."
Quote from a devout Christian lady I once knew.

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
anyone else want to take a stab in the dark as to how christians should judge others? perhaps another demonstration?

Does it matter ? we live in a time of lawlessness,there is no wrong except to say something is wrong,there is no right except to say who can tell or "judge" what is right....we are in free fall just like the bible said the last days would be.

The bible says shall not and we say we shall,the bible says thou shall and we say no,we are more enlightended today and don't have to,the wicked are lifted up and excused,coddled and cuddled while those attempting to live a righteous (not perfect) life are ridiculed and scorned.....on and on it goes just like the bible said it would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeager016
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm pretty familiar with judging. The problem is that I don't know how to do it properly. I think it best left to others who know how. I don't know if I've ever seen judging done as one should. People can judge all they want, but I'm usually left feeling that they might not have done it right.

Maybe someone could recommend a book or video on how christians should judge others in the right way. At least then I could be enlightened on this christian judging.

If I felt in free fall, I would find it pretty scary. The only people I remember who "ridiculed and scorned" were christians. But I'm probably not as familiar with the bible. I think we'll be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeager016
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm just a dabbler in these things.

How does judging fit into reflecting God?

Who can I judge? Do you just judge whoever you feel like? Are there people not to be judged?

In family, does one judge your wife or husband? Judge your children too?

What if you don't know someone that well, can you still judge them?

What about people who don't want to hear it?

Do people need to be judged because their conscience doesn't work or is God not telling them?

I think it would be best I not judge. I don't know how to go about judging in the christian way. I'm really not qualified. I'm not pretty to look at, I'm not smart, and I have my own past and present sins to deal with.

Most people are better than I. So, for now, I think I'm going put off God's command to judge one another.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are prohibited from judging. Period.
Judging determines a person's MOTIVES. We simply cannot tag a person entirely by percieved evil. It is not reminding someone that smoking is bad for them. Thats not judging. Judging says "that person is obviously a dirty person who doesn't care about anyone's health because he smokes" for instance. THAT is judging.
There are certainly reasons for the behavior. Perhaps their whole family smoked or maybe they use it to deal with stress. Or maybe they just simply got hooked as a kid and don't even like it at all. There are too many possibilities involved.
Let me ask...do you have any activity that someone else around you thinks is wrong? Do you perhaps have a good reason for it? You might, but either way, the other person does not know it. Even if they ask you, they still do not know everything about your life. They have no right to put you in a box over a single activity or worldview.

As far as judging sins, Paul did suggest that we do this with other Christians...but not to unbelievers! In 2 Col he says that things we consume do not apply to sin. They have nothing to do with our love of God and others. Read it. Nagging people about petty sins does absolutely NOTHING to quell the evil nature inside.
Look at Yeshua...He hassles the religious folks, not the ones at the pub.

Bless up.

You seem to have contradicted yourself. First you say "We are prohibited from judging. Period."

Then you say, "As far as judging sins, Paul did suggest that we do this with other Christians."

Apparently your "period" is not what it seems.

Upvote 0