Does the Bible 'truly' teach us 'not to judge'?

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems that every time someone tries to point out the 'truth', inevitably someone else comes along and accuses them of 'false judgment'.

The Bible does NOT teach us 'not to judge'. It teaches us not to 'falsely judge'. In fact, the Bible teaches us to 'judge all things' according to 'righteousness' or 'truth'.

So where does this insistence come from when some insist that we are 'not to judge'?

It originated with the 'churches' that were not teaching the 'truth'. They didn't want the congregation to 'judge them' according to 'righteousness, (the truth), so they taught their followers 'not to judge PERIOD'.

And that is 'the' reason that so many today insist that we 'not judge'. Because that way they can interject any sort of 'nonsense' and insist that it's the 'truth'. So long as no one 'judges' what they 'say', they can convince themselves that whatever nonsense they 'make up' is as valid as anything else people 'believe'.

I encourage any and EVERYONE that reads anything I offer to 'judge it' according to the Bible. Not what 'your church' teaches you, but what we are offered in the Bible. Don't take 'my word' for 'anything'. Judge each and everything I offer according to 'scripture'.

Yet some continually insist that they should be able to speak with impunity so far as 'judgement' is concerned. That in order to determine the 'truth' of what they 'say' no one should 'judge' their words. That's ridiculous. We are to 'judge ALL things according to righteousness', (The Truth).

Blessings,

MEC

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems that every time someone tries to point out the 'truth', inevitably someone else comes along and accuses them of 'false judgment'.

The Bible does NOT teach us 'not to judge'. It teaches us not to 'falsely judge'. In fact, the Bible teaches us to 'judge all things' according to 'righteousness' or 'truth'.

That is a tiny, hardly supported point. Mostly wrong.
If you feel you are qualified to judge others, then you have poor judgment.
:sorry:
One sure sign of a weak argument is saying what scripture says without
referencing scripture.

John 12:47 "If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do ...
... "If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. ...
//biblehub.com/john/12-47.htm - 16k

Luke 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not ...
... "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not
be condemned. ... "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. ...
//biblehub.com/luke/6-37.htm - 16k

Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
◄ Matthew 7:1 ►. .... Do not judge, or you too will be judged. ...
//biblehub.com/matthew/7-1.htm - 15k

2 Chronicles 19:6 He told them, "Consider carefully what you do ...
... and he said to them, "Always think carefully before pronouncing judgment. Remember
that you do not judge to please people but to please the LORD. ...
//biblehub.com/2_chronicles/19-6.htm - 17k

John 7:24 Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge ...
... Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.” ... ...
//biblehub.com/john/7-24.htm - 15k

John 8:15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one.
... You judge me by human standards, but I do not judge anyone. ... You people
judge by outward appearances; I do not judge anyone. ...
//biblehub.com/john/8-15.htm - 15k

1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed ...
... So then, do not judge anything before the time. Wait until the Lord comes. ...
//biblehub.com/1_corinthians/4-5.htm - 19k

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: "We had to ...
... Paul and Barnabas said, 'To you it was necessary that first the word of God be spoken,
and seeing ye do thrust it away, and do not judge yourselves worthy of ...
//biblehub.com/acts/13-46.htm - 18k

27 Bible verses about Judging Others

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So where does this insistence come from when some insist that we are 'not to judge'?

It originated with the 'churches' that were not teaching the 'truth'. They didn't want the congregation to 'judge them' according to 'righteousness, (the truth), so they taught their followers 'not to judge PERIOD'.

And that is 'the' reason that so many today insist that we 'not judge'. Because that way they can interject any sort of 'nonsense' and insist that it's the 'truth'. So long as no one 'judges' what they 'say', they can convince themselves that whatever nonsense they 'make up' is as valid as anything else people 'believe'.

I encourage any and EVERYONE that reads anything I offer to 'judge it' according to the Bible. Not what 'your church' teaches you, but what we are offered in the Bible. Don't take 'my word' for 'anything'. Judge each and everything I offer according to 'scripture'.

Yet some continually insist that they should be able to speak with impunity so far as 'judgement' is concerned. That in order to determine the 'truth' of what they 'say' no one should 'judge' their words. That's ridiculous. We are to 'judge ALL things according to righteousness', (The Truth).

Blessings,

MEC
I think that maybe tearing down every stronghold that sets itself up against the TRUTH, so that every wind pf man made doctrine may be exposed for what it is...manmade And an unnecessary addition to THE FOUNDATION

But as to judging the agenda and motives of the inner heart and mind of men that we are not to judge because HE alone is the final judge and HE alone is the One who will lay bare what is hidden from our eyes but not hidden from HIS

Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟8,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To judge or not to judge?

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with immoral men, not at all meaning the immoral
of this world, or the greedy and robbers, or idolators, since then you would need to go out of
the world.
But rather I wrote to you not to associate with any one who bears the name of brother if he is
guilty of immorality or greed, or is an idolator, reviler,drunkard, or robber, not even to eat with
such a one.
For what have I to do with outsiders?
Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
God judges those outside.
Drive out the wicked person from among you.

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of stress.
For men will be lovers of self..
lovers of money..
proud, arrogant, abusive..
disobedient to their parents..
ungrateful, unholy, inhuman..
implacable, slanderers, profligates..
fierce, haters of good, treacherous..
reckless, swollen with conceit..
lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God..

holding the form of religion but denying the power of it...

AVOID SUCH PEOPLE.

If we are to not associate, not eat (fellowship) with these, to avoid such people, then

I would assume that we are to judge those, who bear the name of brother or hold the form of
religion but denying the power of it, according to God's standard.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Judge behavior. Don't judge souls.

Simple.
"With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree.
St. Irenaeus (AD 189)"

And then came the inquisitions where the church put to death those that did not believe as the church dictated. So I can judge them, by their behavior, as not representing Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree.
St. Irenaeus (AD 189)"

And then came the inquisitions where the church put to death those that did not believe as the church dictated. So I can judge them, by their behavior, as not representing Jesus Christ.
Which inquisition was that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Which inquisition was that?

The dark ages.
The Inquisition is a group of institutions within the judicial system of the Catholic Church whose aim was to combat heresy. It started in 12th-century France to combat religious sectarianism, in particular the Catharsand the Waldensians. Other groups which were investigated later include the Spiritual Franciscans, theHusites (followers of Jan Hus) and Beguines. Beginning in the 1250s, inquisitors were generally chosen from members of the Dominican Order, to replace the earlier practice of using local clergy as judges.[1] The termMedieval Inquisition covers these courts up to mid-15th century.

W. E. H. Lecky says: "That the Church of Rome has shed more innocent blood than any other institution that has ever existed among mankind, will be questioned by no Protestant who has a competent knowledge of history. The memorials, indeed, of many of her persecutions are now so scanty, that it is impossible to form a complete conception of the multitude of her victims, and it is quite certain that no power of imagination can adequately realize their sufferings." -- "History of the Rise and Influence of the Spirit of Rationalism in Europe," Vol. II, p. 32. London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1910.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The last period is known as the Roman Inquisition, and it was established in 1542 when Pope Paul III established the Holy Office as the final court of appeals in all trials of heresy. This group was made up of cardinals and other officials whose task was to maintain and defend the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church. This group played an important role in the Counter-Reformation, and it was also this body that condemned Galileo for “grave suspicion of heresy” and banned all of his works in 1633 for teaching that the sun was the center of the universe and that the earth revolved around it. In 1965, Pope Paul VI reorganized the Holy Office and renamed it as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and it remains in effect today.

Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married

Blessings,

MEC
Yes, you're to use righteous judgment.
1 Corinthians 2:15, James 5:19, Matthew 18:15

We are to judge behaviors not souls because it is not our place to judge souls. It is God's.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Imagican - I find the best balance is taught by James, which is to judge with mercy, the gospel and the beginning of Romans 2 tempers this indicating that the way you judge others you too will be judged.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
the LGBT uses such excuse. you tell them something in scripture, they will always divert it as a personal attack made by you thereby changing the topic to about you and your behavior of judging, not scripture. always like these.

people that have lived too long in darkness can't even accept a little glimpse of light.

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are instructed to 'judge' all men according to the 'truth'. You are incorrect. Judgement has nothing to do with forgiveness. How can we know who needs forgiveness without proper judgement?
Yes, when you put it like that, i agree.
And you are also wrong in your statement about forgiveness. We are not to forgive as we are forgiven. We are to forgive as we would LIKE to be forgiven. Big difference.
It's Scriptural like i said it, but i have no problem with how you put it.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, judgement as in right assessment is a necessity.
Judgement as in passing judgement, either condemning or pronouncing holy is God's job.

And about forgiveness it is not just "Forgive just like you have been forgiven (in Christ)" but also "Do unto others like you want others to do unto you."

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The dark ages.
Golly, that sounds rather serious. Maybe you should start a separate thread for that instead of trying to derail this one.

To go back to the actual point of this thread, behaviors can be judged by people; souls cannot. That's the point.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once again, the only people that would insist that others 'not judge them' would be those with something to hide. Anyone that is behaving as they should has nothing to hide and therefore would have no problem with others judging them.

You will be measured by the measure with which you measure. People with nothing to hide are people without sin.
Jesus had nothing to hide and did not have sin. There was nevertheless a problem with others judging him, and that problem is that the judges have sin.

And anyway, there are no people with nothing to hide. There was one. The judges crucified him. Everybody else has something to hide.

Which is why that is not a good yardstick to use to judge others, because we all have something to hide, and if we use that measure, we're not going to measure up to it ourselves, when we're judged by it.

It is best to apply Jesus' standard, and just forgive, and not to judge others lest we be judged.

Paul's standard is more fun, it gives us more power. But if we're not as perfect as Paul, it ends up being a snare.

Upvote 0