Does the Bible Support or Oppose Five-Point Calvinism?

Do the 66 canonical books of Scripture support or oppose Five-Point Calvinism?

• Support

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Oppose

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
NOTE: IF YOU'RE GOING TO VOTE "OPPOSE" PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR SCRIPTURAL REASONING.

I originally opened this thread in the wrong forum, but would like to reopen it here.

After a bit of a discussion on the topic of OSAS, I want to ask a simple question: do the canonical 66 books of Scripture support or oppose Five-Point Calvinism? What Scriptural proof is there?

Below is basic Scriptural evidence for each of the five points of Calvinism. I would love other thoughts and opinions [including opposition].

Reminder: The five points of Calvinism can be summarized by the acronym TULIP.

Total Depravity

• As a consequence of the Fall, all men are born in bondage to sin, unable to refrain from evil, choose God, or accept the gift of salvation, save by the efficacious and sovereign grace of God.
Unconditional Election
  • Also known as double predestination.
Limited Atonement
  • Christ's work on the cross was sufficient for all, but it was the free and gracious will of the Father that the enlivening and saving effectiveness of Jesus' death work itself only on the elect, thereby leading them without fail to salvation [i.e. Christ's death counted only for the elect].
Irresistible Grace
  • God's grace is irresistible, and cannot be denied or fought against.
Perseverance of the Saints
  • Also known as eternal security. Sometimes referred to as "once saved, always saved" though the latter is often distinct.

Last edited:
Reactions: rnmomof7

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I of V

Total Depravity:

"Man, by his fall into a state of sin, hath wholly lost all ability of will to any spiritual good accompanying salvation: so as, a natural man, being altogether averse from that good, and dead in sin, is not able, by his own strength, to convert himself, or to prepare himself thereunto." [WCF, IX, 3]

1] The Fall has resulted in a spiritual death for all men:

"And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience - among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind." [Ephesians 2:1-3]

"And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses." [Colossians 2:13]
2] Fallen man is blind and deaf to spiritual truth:

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then also you can do good who are accustomed to do evil." [Jeremiah 13:23]

"The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." [Genesis 6:5]

"And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, 'I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done.'" [Genesis 8:21]

"This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that the same event happens to all. Also, the hearts of the children of man are full of evil, and madness is in their hearts while they live, and after that they go to the dead." [Ecclesiastes 9:3]

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" [Jeremiah 17:9]

"For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person." [Mark 7:21-23]
3] Fallen man is under the control of Satan, and in bondage to sin.

"You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies." [John 8:44]

"God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will." [2 Timothy 2:25-26]

"By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother." [1 John 3:10]

"None is righteous, no, not one. no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." [Romans 3:10-12]

"Enter not into judgment with your servant, for no one living is righteous before you." [Psalm 143:2]

"For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness." [Romans 6:20]

"For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another." [Titus 3:3]
4] Fallen man in his natural state is totally unable to repent, believe, or accept the Gospel.

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day." [John 6:44]

"And He said, 'This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.'" [John 6:55]

"For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." [Romans 8:7-8]

"The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." [1 Corinthians 2:14]

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
II of V

Unconditional Election:

"Those of mankind that are predestinated unto life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to his eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of his will, hath chosen, in Christ, unto everlasting glory, out of his mere free grace and love, without any foresight of faith, or good works, or perseverance in either of them, or any other thing in the creature, as conditions, or causes moving him thereunto; and all to the praise of his glorious grace." [WCF, III, 5]

1] God has an elect people He has chosen to grant salvation.

"Yet the Lord set His heart in love on your fathers and chose their offspring after them, you above all peoples, as you are this day." [Deuteronomy 10:15]

"And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect." [Matthew 24:22-24]

"And He will send out His angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." [Matthew 24:31]

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of Him who sent me. And this is the will of Him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that He has given me, but raise it up on the last day." [John 6:37-39]

"And He said, 'This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.'" [John 6:65]

"I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours." [John 17:9]

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that He might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom He predestined He also called, and those whom He called He also justified, and those whom He justified He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies." [Romans 8:28-33]

"So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace." [Romans 11:5]

"Even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will." [Ephesians 1:4-5]

"In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of his will." [Ephesians 1:11]

"For we know, brothers loved by God, that He has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake." [1 Thessalonians 1:4-5]

"For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ." [1 Thessalonians 5:9]

"But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth." [2 Thessalonians 2:13]

"To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with His blood." [1 Peter 1:1-2]

"They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do. But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." [1 Peter 2:8-9]
2] God's choice was not based on any foreseen faith or good works.

"For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the Lord set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but it is because the Lord loves you and is keeping the oath that He swore to your fathers, that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt." [Deuteronomy 7:6-8]

"Though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad - in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of Him who calls - she was told, 'The older will serve the younger.' As it is written, 'Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.'" [Romans 9:11-13]

"So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy." [Romans 9:16]

"But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God." [1 Corinthians 1:27-29]

"Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of His own purpose and grace, which He gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began." [2 Timothy 1:9]
3] Faith and good works are the results, not the grounds, of predestination.

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed." [Acts 13:48]

"And when he wished to cross to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him. When he arrived, he greatly helped those who through grace had believed." [Acts 18:27]

"So that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of His glory." [Ephesians 1:12]

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." [Ephesians 2:10]

"For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in Him but also suffer for His sake." [Philippians 1:29]

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." [Philippians 2:12-13]

"For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake." [1 Thessalonians 1:4-5]

"But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this He called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ." [2 Thessalonians 2:13-14]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
III of V

Limited Atonement:

"As God hath appointed the elect unto glory, so hath he, by the eternal and most free purpose of his will, foreordained all the means thereunto. Wherefore, they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ, are effectually called unto faith in Christ by his Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified, and kept by his power, through faith, unto salvation. Neither are any other redeemed by Christ, effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only." [WCF, III, 6]

"The Lord Jesus, by his perfect obedience, and sacrifice of himself, which he, through the eternal Spirit, once offered up unto God, hath fully satisfied the justice of his Father; and purchased, not only reconciliation, but an everlasting inheritance in the kingdom of heaven, for all those whom the Father hath given unto him." [WCF, VIII, 5]

"For whom did Christ die? The Father imposed His wrath due unto, and the Son underwent punishment for either: 1) All the sins of all men; 2) All the sins of some men; or 3) Some of the sins of all men. In which case it may be said: 1) If the last be true all men have some sins to answer for, and so none are saved; 2) That if the second be true, then Christ, in their stead suffered for all the sins of the elect in the whole world, and this is the truth; 3) But if the first is the case, why are not all men free from the punishment due unto their sins? You answer, Because of unbelief. I ask, Is this unbelief a sin, or is it not? If it be, then Christ suffered the punishment due unto it, or He did not. If He did, why must that hinder them more than their other sins for which He died? If He did not, He did not die for all their sins!" [John Owen]

1] Christ's death is set forth within Scripture as what accomplished salvation, rather than what made salvation possible.

"God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by His blood, much more shall we be saved by Him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by His life." [Romans 5:8-10]

"All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to Himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation." [2 Corinthians 5:18-19]

"By abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that He might create in Himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility." [Ephesians 2:15-16]

"And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, He has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before Him." [Colossians 1:21-22]

"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us." [Galatians 3:13]

"Who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession who are zealous for good works." [Titus 2:14]

"He entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of His own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption." [Hebrews 9:12]

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost." [Luke 19:10]

"The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." [1 Timothy 1:15]
2] Jesus Christ was sent into the world to save only those the Father had given Him.

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of Him who sent me. And this is the will of Him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that He has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in Him should have eternal life, and I will raise Him up on the last day." [John 6:37-40]

"I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father." [John 10:14-18]

"So the Jews gathered around Him and said to Him, 'How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.' Jesus answered them, 'I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." [John 10:24-29]

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him." [Ephesians 1:3-4]

"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace." [Ephesians 1:7]

"In Him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit." [Ephesians 1:13]
3] Christ's work as high priest/intercessor was intended for the specific people [the Elect] the Father had given Him, rather than the entire world.

"When Jesus had spoken these words, He lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said, 'Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given Him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.'" [John 17:1-11]

"I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word." [John 17:20]

"Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them." [John 17:24-26]

"Therefore He had to be made like His brothers in every respect, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people." [Hebrews 2:17]

"Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession." [Hebrews 3:1]

"So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him." [Hebrews 9:28]
4] Christ's gift of salvation was intended for the specific people [the Elect] the Father had given Him, rather than the entire world.

"She will bear a son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins." [Matthew 1:21]

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." [John 10:11]

"Just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep." [John 10:15]

"B
ut you do not believe because you are not among my sheep." [John 10:26]

"Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which He obtained with His own blood." [Acts 20:28]

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her, that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that He might present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish." [Ephesians 5:25-27]

"He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised - who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us." [Romans 8:32-34]

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." [John 15:13]

"Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." [Matthew 20:28]

"For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." [Matthew 26:28]

"So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him." [Hebrews 9:28]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
IV of V

Irresistible Grace

"All those whom God hath predestinated unto life, and those only, he is pleased, in his appointed and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death, in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation, by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God, taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and, by his almighty power, determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ: yet so, as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace. This effectual call is of God's free and special grace alone, not from anything at all foreseen in man, who is altogether passive therein, until, being quickened and renewed by the Holy Spirit, he is thereby enabled to answer this call, and to embrace the grace offered and conveyed in it." [WCF, 10, 1-2]

1] All of the Elect [those whom the Father has chosen and for whom Christ has died] will certainly experience salvation.

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out." [John 6:37]

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day." [John 6:44]

"And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd." [John 10:16]

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that He might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom He predestined He also called, and those whom He called He also justified, and those whom He justified He also glorified." [Romans 8:28-30]

"He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?" [Romans 8:32]

"And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." [1 Corinthians 6:11]

"Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says 'Jesus is accursed!' and no one can say 'Jesus is Lord' except in the Holy Spirit." [1 Corinthians 12:3]

"Who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." [2 Corinthians 3:6]

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." [2 Corinthians 3:17-18]

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him." [Ephesians 1:3-4]

"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace." [Ephesians 1:7]

"In Him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of His glory." [Ephesians 1:13-14]

"According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with His blood." [1 Peter 1:2]
2] Spiritual regeneration is an inward change in man performed solely by God with no dependance on or use of man's help or cooperation.

"But to all who did receive Him, who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God." [John 1:12-13]

"So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy." [Romans 9:16]

"Jesus answered him, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.' Nicodemus said to Him, 'How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?' Jesus answered, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.'" [John 3:3-8]

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." [1 Peter 1:3]

"Since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God." [1 Peter 1:23]

"For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith." [1 John 5:4]

"He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit." [Titus 3:5]

"And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live." [Deuteronomy 30:6]

"And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." [Ezekiel 36:26-27]

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to Himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation." [2 Corinthians 5:17-18]

"For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation." [Galatians 6:15]

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." [Ephesians 2:10]

"For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom He will." [John 5:21]

"And you were dead in the trespasses and sins." [Ephesians 2:1]

"Even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ." [Ephesians 2:5]

"And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our trespasses." [Colossians 2:13]

"Since you have given Him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given Him." [John 17:2]

"For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?" [1 Corinthians 4:7]

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." [Ephesians 2:8-9]
3] Repentance and faith are divine gifts resulting from the regenerating work of God, not the cause of it.

"God exalted Him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins." [Acts 5:31]

"When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, 'Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.'" [Acts 11:18]

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed." [Acts 13:48]

"One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul." [Acts 16:14]

"And when he wished to cross to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him. When he arrived, he greatly helped those who through grace had believed." [Acts 18:27]

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." [Ephesians 2:8-9]

"For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in Him but also suffer for His sake." [Philippians 1:29]

"God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will." [2 Timothy 2:25-26]

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
V of V

"They, whom God hath accepted in his Beloved, effectually called, and sanctified by his Spirit, can neither totally nor finally fall away from the state of grace, but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved." [WCF, XVII, 1]

1] The person who truly believes in Christ has new eternal life.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." [John 3:16]

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him." [John 3:36]

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." [John 5:24]

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life." [John 6:47]

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh." [John 6:51]

"Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.'" [John 11:25-26]

"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life." [1 John 5:13]

"Since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God." [1 Peter 1:23]
2] All of the elect are kept secure for eternity in God by His power.

"Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of Him who sent me. And this is the will of Him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that He has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in Him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.'" [John 6:35-40]

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." [John 10:27-29]

"And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled." [John 17:11-12]

"I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one." [John 17:15]

"For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that He might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom He predestined He also called, and those whom He called He also justified, and those whom He justified He also glorified." [Romans 8:29-30]

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written, 'For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.' No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." [Romans 8:35-39]

"Who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ." [1 Corinthians 1:8]

"He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will." [Ephesians 1:5]

"In Him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory." [Ephesians 1:13-14]

"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption." [Ephesians 4:30]

"And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." [Philippians 1:6]

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." [1 Peter 1:3-5]
3] The elect will persevere to the end in faith and obedience by the power of God.

"Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” [John 14:21]

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." [John 15:1-11]

"And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." [1 Peter 5:10]

"Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall." [2 Peter 1:10]

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." [Philippians 2:12-13]

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me His own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you." [Philippians 3:12-15]

"No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God." [1 John 3:9]

"We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him." [1 John 5:18]

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us." [1 John 2:19]

"And this is the promise that he made to us - eternal life." [1 John 2:25]

Upvote 0

Butch5

Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NOTE: IF YOU'RE GOING TO VOTE "OPPOSE" PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR SCRIPTURAL REASONING.

I originally opened this thread in the wrong forum, but would like to reopen it here.

After a bit of a discussion on the topic of OSAS, I want to ask a simple question: do the canonical 66 books of Scripture support or oppose Five-Point Calvinism? What Scriptural proof is there?

Below is basic Scriptural evidence for each of the five points of Calvinism. I would love other thoughts and opinions [including opposition].

Reminder: The five points of Calvinism can be summarized by the acronym TULIP.

Total Depravity

• As a consequence of the Fall, all men are born in bondage to sin, unable to refrain from evil, choose God, or accept the gift of salvation, save by the efficacious and sovereign grace of God.
Unconditional Election
  • Also known as double predestination.
Limited Atonement
  • Christ's work on the cross was sufficient for all, but it was the free and gracious will of the Father that the enlivening and saving effectiveness of Jesus' death work itself only on the elect, thereby leading them without fail to salvation [i.e. Christ's death counted only for the elect].
Irresistible Grace
  • God's grace is irresistible, and cannot be denied or fought against.
  • Also known as eternal security. Sometimes referred to as "once saved, always saved" though the latter is often distinct.

If we keep the Scriptures in context I don't think there is a single passage that support any one of the 5 points.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"For whom did Christ die? The Father imposed His wrath due unto, and the Son underwent punishment for either: 1) All the sins of all men; 2) All the sins of some men; or 3) Some of the sins of all men. In which case it may be said: 1) If the last be true all men have some sins to answer for, and so none are saved; 2) That if the second be true, then Christ, in their stead suffered for all the sins of the elect in the whole world, and this is the truth; 3) But if the first is the case, why are not all men free from the punishment due unto their sins? You answer, Because of unbelief. I ask, Is this unbelief a sin, or is it not? If it be, then Christ suffered the punishment due unto it, or He did not. If He did, why must that hinder them more than their other sins for which He died? If He did not, He did not die for all their sins!" [John Owen]
No sin - not unbelief - not murder - NO sin is forgiven by Christ's sacrifice.

We are justified by grace "through faith."

Until saving faith is exercised nothing is forgiven - even if Christ did die for it.

I agree with the other four points. I agree with the limited atonement point as rightly argued.

But this argument is fallacious.

Arminian or Calvinist - Christ's sacrifice is available to cover our sins if and when faith is exercised.

Election and irresistible grace as an argument take care of why salvation is only effective for some and why it is effective for them without doubt.

Limited atonement is redundant at best.

Limited atonement as taught by some within Calvinism is false or in some cases worse.

Why muddy the waters because of a silly 5 letter word that didn't come into being until long after Calvin died?

Other than that - I agree that the various points teach correct doctrine.

Around a hundred others here will disagree totally.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
After being challenged to look at Calvinism a few years ago, I did, and if I was looking for a denomination to stay away from those that were Calvinists would be at the top my list. :)
For what reason? What Biblical proof do you have to offer against Calvinism?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No sin - not unbelief - not murder - NO sin is forgiven by Christ's sacrifice.
So Christ's death was worthless? Why then did He die if not as penal substitution?

Let me ask another basic question. Is faith something we do, or is it something God does for us? If it is something we do, then surely do we not to some extent save ourselves?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ - taught much about the the calvinist of his day.

Jesus Condemns the Pharisees and the Teachers of the Law of Moses
23 Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:

2 The Pharisees/calvinist and the teachers of the Law are experts in the Law of Moses. 3 So obey everything they teach you, but don’t do as they do. After all, they say one thing and do something else.

4 They pile heavy burdens on people’s shoulders and won’t lift a finger to help. 5 Everything they do is just to show off in front of others. They even make a big show of wearing Scripture verses on their foreheads and arms, and they wear big tassels[a] for everyone to see. 6 They love the best seats at banquets and the front seats in the meeting places. 7 And when they are in the market, they like to have people greet them as their teachers.

8 But none of you should be called a teacher. You have only one teacher, and all of you are like brothers and sisters. 9 Don’t call anyone on earth your father. All of you have the same Father in heaven. 10 None of you should be called the leader. The Messiah is your only leader. 11 Whoever is the greatest should be the servant of the others. 12 If you put yourself above others, you will be put down. But if you humble yourself, you will be honored.

13-14 You Pharisees/calvinistand teachers of the Law of Moses are in for trouble! You’re nothing but show-offs. You lock people out of the kingdom of heaven. You won’t go in yourselves, and you keep others from going in.[b]

15 You Pharisees/calvinist and teachers of the Law of Moses are in for trouble! You’re nothing but show-offs. You travel over land and sea to win one follower. And when you have done so, you make that person twice as fit for hell as you are.

16 You are in for trouble! You are supposed to lead others, but you are blind. You teach that it doesn’t matter if a person swears by the temple. But you say that it does matter if someone swears by the gold in the temple. 17 You blind fools! Which is greater, the gold or the temple that makes the gold sacred?

18 You also teach that it doesn’t matter if a person swears by the altar. But you say that it does matter if someone swears by the gift on the altar. 19 Are you blind? Which is more important, the gift or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 Anyone who swears by the altar also swears by everything on it. 21 And anyone who swears by the temple also swears by God, who lives there. 22 To swear by heaven is the same as swearing by God’s throne and by the one who sits on that throne.

23 You Pharisees/calvinist and teachers are show-offs, and you’re in for trouble! You give God a tenth of the spices from your garden, such as mint, dill, and cumin. Yet you neglect the more important matters of the Law, such as justice, mercy, and faithfulness. These are the important things you should have done, though you should not have left the others undone either. 24 You blind leaders! You strain out a small fly but swallow a camel.

25 You Pharisees and teachers are show-offs, and you’re in for trouble! You wash the outside of your cups and dishes, while inside there is nothing but greed and selfishness. 26 You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of a cup, and then the outside will also be clean.

27 You Pharisees and teachers are in for trouble! You’re nothing but show-offs. You’re like tombs that have been whitewashed.[c] On the outside they are beautiful, but inside they are full of bones and filth. 28 That’s what you are like. Outside you look good, but inside you are evil and only pretend to be good.

29 You Pharisees and teachers are nothing but show-offs, and you’re in for trouble! You build monuments for the prophets and decorate the tombs of good people. 30 And you claim that you would not have taken part with your ancestors in killing the prophets. 31 But you prove that you really are the relatives of the ones who killed the prophets. 32 So keep on doing everything they did. 33 You are nothing but snakes and the children of snakes! How can you escape going to hell?

34 I will send prophets and wise people and experts in the Law of Moses to you Pharisees/calvinist. But you will kill them or nail them to a cross or beat them in your meeting places or chase them from town to town. 35 That’s why you will be held guilty for the murder of every good person, beginning with the good man Abel. This also includes Barachiah’s son Zechariah,[d] the man you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 I can promise that you people living today will be punished for all these things!
So where is the Biblical proof that the Pharisees were Calvinists? Couldn't I simply add in whatever group I wanted to condemn in the place of "pharisees" [much as yourself] and argue the same point?

Instead of offering a point-by-point rebuttal of the five points of Calvinism, you copy-paste quotes of Jesus condemning the Pharisees and add in "Calvinists", and claim that as a result, your argument is Biblically sound?

Reactions: Lazy_Proverb
Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Worthless huh ? You are saying God predestined all mens sin so Jesus's death was a waste of time !

Disgrace
First off - I was replying to someone who said that no sin is forgiven by Christ's atoning sacrifice.

Secondly, I think you greatly misunderstand the doctrine of predestination, and would encourage you to look over post #3. God did not predestine "all mens sin so Jesus' death was a waste of time." I don't know how you arrived at this conclusion, but it most certainly is not Calvinist. Rather, God made Christ's death sufficient for all, but efficient only for the elect, that is, Christ's sacrifice could have atoned for all sins if that indeed was what God the Father willed. Ultimately, however, God willed that Christ should not shed a single drop of innocent blood, and thus, His salutary gift only covered the sins of the elect (i.e. those Christians who are saved).

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's nothing wrong with TULIP. That doesn't mean it has to be 100% true, but there's nothing insidious or unjust of the doctrine.
Predestination theology is often intimidating because of it's simplicity. But free will theology much too often is overly complex, there always seems to have a need for a new doctrine or explanation.

Simpler explanations tend to be the right ones over others, albeit that is not always the case.
In the case of TULIP, because it is so straightforward, one has to keep predestination in mind through the whole of it, while at the same time relating it to how we labor under it.

If, for example, Jesus died only for the elect, it means he died for whoever will believe in him. That is who the elect are- the true saints. Did they choose to believe? Well, not really, at least according to Calvin. God made them turn to Christ by moving the world around them to have them be convinced.

Reactions: Lazy_Proverb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So Christ's death was worthless? Why then did He die if not as penal substitution?

Let me ask another basic question. Is faith something we do, or is it something God does for us? If it is something we do, then surely do we not to some extent save ourselves?
How could yo say a crude thing like that about my saying that Christ's death alone doesn't save without faith?

Calvinists are pretty much famous for that kind of statement. You are a poster child for the way that Calvinism is often presented negatively.

No one said anything about saving ourselves. That's ridiculous.

I am simply challenging you to acknowledge the fact that you and I and a host of others were not justified by Christ's crucifixion alone. It requires faith.

I believe that faith is a gift from God. I have already stated that I believe the points of Calvinism rightly presented.

A person can go 5, 30, or even 90 years in the condition of having had Christ die for them and still not be saved before hearing the gospel and responding positively in faith. Where that faith comes from is beside the point.

Full on 5 point Calvinists apparently think they have biblical proof that such a condition could not go on for eternity instead of just 90 years. I see no such statement in scripture.

The idea that Christ died for the sins of all men and yet no men are saved in this life until they respond is what you would call Arminian, I suppose.

You reject that idea.

But you accept the idea that that situation is true for the elect - often times until their deathbed.

You have no right to say that it could not be true for the lost for all of eternity.

There is a sense in which limited atonement is true. Not all will benefit from the atonement. We all believe that.

If limited atonement was only presented in that way - there would be no problem. But it is not.

Instead, if one doesn't see it all a certain way that you decide, they are charged with believing that they save themselves or that they believe Christ's death was worthless.

I have been Reformed for many decades now. I have been an elder in the Presbyterian church and preached and taught many times on the Westminster Confession of faith and such things.

To have these kinds of bitter Calvinistic charges hurled at me is very insulting.

I have a lot of sympathy for the way non-Calvinists often respond to Calvinism - even if they are often mistaken about what Reformed theology rightly teaches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For what reason? What Biblical proof do you have to offer against Calvinism?

I couldn't be bothered discussing it I have been there done that elsewhere and have no intention of going anywhere near it again.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I couldn't be bothered discussing it I have been there done that elsewhere and have no intention of going anywhere near it again.

So why respond to this post? Just to say that you've "been there, done that," and assume that everyone's going to know what you mean?

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In 1649 the Westminister Confession stated, “God, from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contin- agency of second causes taken away, but rather established.”

Even though this statement is in itself contradictory,.........................

Simply put, the Westminister statement seems to be an oxymoron, self-contradictory, and without any Biblical proof whatsoever."

And do not forget, these are Calvinist big wigs talking not those 'heretical', nasty Arminians. If only the followers would smell the coffee.
I don't believe that the predestination of all things that happen in God's creation is contradictory or incompatible with fee will as commonly understood.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes! Jesus is simply talking about Pharisees in this situation.

"If we use Scripture simply as an excuse to justify our pre-existing opinions, we're not getting God's word at all; we're talking over Him, correcting Him, and believing ourselves instead. What a horrifying prospect." [http://adam4d.com/locusts/]
However to give a long answer:
A long answer? My point-by-point proof of TULIP cited one hundred and fifty one Bible verses and took up five posts. You cite two verses in this refutation (excluding the above where you substituted "Calvinists" for the original "Pharisees" and claimed the Bible backed you up) and yet still claim your argument to be scripturally sound. Where is the proof?

double predestination
Not a single Calvinist I have ever met disagrees with this doctrine.

NOT found in Calvin; It was added to Calvinism after Calvin by some of his more extreme followers.
Proof?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.