✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Everyone:

Writing as a morally/socially conservative Christian, one who seeks to uphold and defend the Law of Christ against all forms of immorality and sexually deviant behavior, I see nothing in the Bible prohibiting or discouraging simple nudity.

Wanting to get some perspectives and opinions here, realizing that this issue is seldom ever spoken of or discussed in western culture.

Nakedness is shunned and often equated with perversion in the west, but I find this attitude to be in opposition to the will of God, who created all things inherently good. Sure, with the fall, man's nature became corrupt so that he abuses things - e.g., alcohol, if imbibed without moderation, leads to all sorts of problems.

But the problem isn't the alcohol - it's the person who sins by indulging the flesh. In other words, it's a spiritual issue. Same with nudity.

In studying Scripture on the issue, I have discovered several examples of positive, normal nudity in public contexts. Those verses that speak of it negatively are not criticizing it from a moral standpoint inherently, but only when it appears in unfortunate contexts (sexual immorality, poverty, etc.).

So, I'd like to open this up for candid discussion and debate. What's inherently wrong with swimming/skinny dipping, laying out under the sun, exercising, hot tubbing, etc. in the nude? What about nude art/photography or nude sketching? What about nudity in a medical setting?

In studying this issue, I was fascinated to find that Paul's use of "modesty" really didn't have anything to do inherently with hiding bare skin. The way he uses it in context and according to the lexical meaning, it has to do with behaving and appearing in a manner that is appropriate for the specific occasion.

So modesty really has nothing to do with nudity or clothing at all. Instead, it has to do with whether or not clothing or nakedness is more appropriate for certain occasions or certain types of activities. It also has a great deal to do with motives, attitudes and behavior.

In fact, if we say that nudity is inherently sexual (in the sense of being immoral), aren't we surrendering the body to the inappropriate content industry, and allowing them to define reality? Doesn't this just perpetuate an ideology that gives total control of the meaning of the body over to those who seek to twist the natural goodness of God's creation?

Enough for now. Let the posts fly!..

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
Depends on the time of day...
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When Adam and Eve acquired the knowledge of good and evil, they saw they were naked and covered themselves to hide their shame. This could only imply that nudity is evil.
Hi Elijah,

Thanks for your opinion! :)

I think that PEOPLE are evil, and that the human figure (like any other created thing) is glorifying to God when used for good and natural purposes.

I would say that Adam and Eve lost the glory they possessed in the Garden when they sinned. Shame entered when their disobedience divested them of their former glory. But instead of returning to God Who was their source of glory and righteousness, they ran and hid themselves. Rather than be reconciled to God, they avoided Him. Yet God, in His mercy, stooped down to reconcile man anyway, and provided a sacrifice.

Hebrews 5: 13-14: For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil

Adam and Eve were "babes" in their understanding of good and evil when they fell. They were on milk, and had not matured to the point where they could handle the knowledge that they acquired when they ate. God accommodated this situation by clothing them; He did not clothe them because nudity is inherently sinful. Adam and Eve had to get used to their new situation and grow in righteousness, wisdom and discernment. In the mean time, God provided clothes to help them in that endeavor.

And now Christ has come and fully redeemed us from the curse of the Law. We are free in Him, and able, with proper judgment, discernment and wisdom to be (with His help) proper stewards of the created order, including over our bodies.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi paleodoxy,
Good topic, should be an interesting discussion.

I've not found were the bible says our bodies or any physical thing is inheriantly evil. Actaully, Paul says in Rom.14 that he is convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing in inherantly evil.

While God killed an animal to make clothes, the account in Gen.3 doesn't call it a scarifice. The context of Adam and Eve being sent out from the garden is that there will be thorns and the earth wouldn't bring forth fruit like it was in the garden. Maybe cool nights? So it can be argued that the skins were to provide protection for Adam and Eve not for a sacrifice.

A new thought for people to react to.
If we say nakedness is sinful. Then we are saying that the poor that can't afford clothes that cover themself very well (I've seen this one a couple of missions trips) are sinning just because they are poor.

looking forward to reading peoples replies.
dayhiker

Upvote 0
F

FijianBeliever

I don't think nudity is evil. I think it's people's attitudes towards it that matters. David danced naked before the ARk when it was being brought back to Jerusalem. God found this pleasing, so much so that when Saul's daughter Michal ( I always get the spelling of this name wrong) critised David for his nakedness, God rendered her infertile for the rest of her life.

On the other hand, we are called to assist those whose faith is weaker than ours.

Thus, I believe you can go naked, but if it will cause problems, then it is better not to. I do not see nakedness/nudity in itself as a problem. After all, innocent babies (1-3 approx in age) have no problem running around in their "birthday suits".

Good question paleodoxy, it should become an interesting thread to follow.

God Bless You All,
Isaia

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
quote by FijanBeliever:
David danced naked before the ARk when it was being brought back to Jerusalem.
the verse about David dancing says "David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might" 2 Samuel 6:14, not being nude. The niv bible study note says Michal might have wanted him to have been wearing his royal robe and not just a linen ephod.

I personally believe nudity is just context and what is our heart with that. We do need to be careful of each other not to cause others to stumble into sin.

Upvote 0

lilymarie

The love of heaven makes one heavenly -Shakespeare
Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't think art is the same. I'm an artist and I've had to draw nudes as it's a requirement if I wanted to get into ANY art school, which I never followed through on.

However, I have no problem with viewing nudes in museums nor ancient nude statues in museums or while traveling.

Also, clothes can be more seductive in some instances.

I think this is a male problem because for me, as a women, it isn't much of a problem viewing naked men.

I think people look funny naked especially with flubber hanging out all over the place.

I saw this movie called Naked World where all kinds of people posed in groups naked and I thought they looked ridiculous.

As far as nudity, I think men seek it for lust sake, such as inappropriate contentography, and that is not good.

I also have always been very private with my body. I didn't even like being naked in the girl's locker room in high school. I wanted my privacy.

As far as nudists in legal areas, they are free to do so.

Anyhow, I think we had a similar thread like this about three months ago or so? Seems very familiar?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tpolg

Oct 20, 2006
Visit site
✟7,938.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
When Adam and Eve acquired the knowledge of good and evil, they saw they were naked and covered themselves to hide their shame. This could only imply that nudity is evil.
No, what it teaches us is that they were conceited and prideful, and that they idolatrously sought to put the work of their own hand above the work of God.
However God in His grace later allows them to wear clothes, even the very form of their original sin, as He sends them forth into the harsh world of their penance.
Unfortunately, as ever man has turned liberty to license, and in his seemingly unending quest to put himself on God’s throne, declares the work of his own hand more righteous then that of the Creator’s.

Upvote 0

L3g3nd

Aug 11, 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
✟871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Not at all; humans are evil, and the shame of Adam and Eve is taken away from us by Christ, who clothes our spiritual nakedness. Why then should we be ashamed of what God has created? Lust, sexual deviance, etc... these are all evils, but nudity in and of itself is not evil.

Upvote 0

Jedi

Knight
Sep 19, 2002
United States
Visit site
✟5,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nudity? Evil? No way. Nudity is great! I mean, c'mon, who doesn't love getting naked?! Woot! ;)

Kidding aside, I really have a hard time believing nudity is inherently evil. Like most other things, it depends on the context and its effect on people. Some people can look at nude art, statues, etc. and it really doesn't bother them or cause them to stumble - they're merely seeing humanity as God created it. However, there are some who either (a) don't feel comfortable with nudity in general or (b) stumble very easily when exposed to it. In these cases, it's not nudity itself that is evil, but the combination of their own selves when exposed to it that might result in sin.

It seems to me nudity is like a chemical. It's not bad in and of itself, but depending on the context and what sort of people it's paired up with, the result can vary from good to neutral to bad: the "chemical reaction" if you will.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The human body is very good. I do not believe nudity is evil, I think that lust is evil.

Our bodies are good, but we live in a fallen world and lust enters our hearts. To protect ourselves from the lusts of others we cover ourselves. I believe this was the reason that Adam and Eve covered themselves after the fall. the lust of other can lead to shame about our own bodies. But as Christ says 'in the beginning, it was not so'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tpolg

Oct 20, 2006
Visit site
✟7,938.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The human body is very good. I do not believe nudity is evil, I think that lust is evil.

Our bodies are good, but we live in a fallen world and lust enters our hearts. To protect ourselves from the lusts of others we cover ourselves. I believe this was the reason that Adam and Eve covered themselves after the fall. the lust of other can lead to shame about our own bodies. But as Christ says 'in the beginning, it was not so'.
Do deceive your self my sister, a garment cannot protect you from lust but is often its device (and no, the type of garment matters only slightly). Let rather your protection be a hart filled with purity and modesty, which cannot be striped from you, as can the vain works of man. For lust seeks its own, if your own hart is free, you need fear no other.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I stand corrected. Thanks rocklife. I apologise to all for not checking my Bible before posting.
Its been awhile since I read about what the ephod is. If my memory serves me correctly tho, its like a poncho. It was a rectangular piece of cloth with a hole in the fold at the half for one to put their head thru.

With David dancing and turning I suspect the cloth would have flown out and up at times of his dancing so that his sex would have been seen. So David wasn't dancing naked, but neither would his dancing been allowed any were in the USA except a male strip club. Unless there are some while dance places I'm not familar with, which could be true as I don't get out dancing often.

My thought on David's dance is what every David's state of Dress, that wasn't what was important to God. What was important to God was where his heart was. David almost always made sure his heart was in the right place.
dayhiker

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.