Does God turn His back on us everytime we sin ?

Aug 3, 2005
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Hello & God Bless You ! I am a 17 year old girl, and I have been Christian since I was little. Recently I've been going to a Pentecostal church and today (Sunday) they split up the children, the youth and the adults in three seperate groups for sunday school as usual. The church pastor was leading the discussion because she also pastors the youth group and she said that "whenever we sin God turns His back on us because He can not see sin therefore he leaves us". And I disagreed with that because what I read in the word of God is that he will never leave us or forsake us. I told her that if Jesus had not died for us, then God would have to turn His back on us whenever we sin, but since Jesus did die for us God sees us cleansed through the Blood of Jesus. (I think she was trying to scare us away from sinning by saying that "whenever we do sin, even by circumstances/by-mistake God will turn His back on us and leave us " but I believe we should obey God and try to please Him out of our love for Him, not only because we love Him but because He loved us first, Not out of fear, because love out of fear is not perfected love as it says in Romans 8:15) I also told her that by saying that God leaves every single time we sin that we are diminishing God because he is always faithful. She (the youth pastor) was kind of mean and very defensive, she rolled her eyes and told me that I was not going to change her beliefs (& I wasn't trying to, all I was saying was what God was putting in my heart) and she was acting like I was trying to brainwash everyone in the youth group or something. This was very saddening to me, I felt as If I was being persecuted or something :0( Please reply back to my post and let me know your opinion on this. Thank You & God Bless You :0)

dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow, what a tough experience for you! But good on you for standing up and responding to what didn't sit well with you. What about God's mercy? Grace? It could've been that the youth pastor was trying to communicate something else, and then she was too embarrased to admit her mistake to you. Which is really too bad, and not terribly right. I don't quite know what advice to give, because I don't know the person you are talking about, but maybe try talking to your youth pastor in private about it (where there is no other audience). Pray first. Lots. And then come to her with concern, but also willing to listen. Let her know that what she said worried you, and ask her what she was trying to say. If her theology does indeed seem to be a couple bubbles off center, I would confront her first, and then maybe ask her if ya'll could bring it up with another senior pastor.

Hope that helps,
Blessings on ya,
D'M
ps. keep us updated

Upvote 0

KayD

Oct 31, 2005
United States
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
No, the Lord does not turn His back on us each time we sin. Christ was slain from before the foundations of the world, and He died for us while we were yet sinners. It also states in the Bible that the Lord is married to the backslider. I'm sorry I'm unable to give you Scriptural references for these passages (gotta run), but believe it when the Lord says that he will never leave us nor forsake us. We may forget God, but He will not forget us (found in NT).

Upvote 0

jennistout

Nov 13, 2005
✟7,803.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nb_christseeker said:
yet another reason why women shouldnt teach. i'm glad you saw past her lies.

Too bad there are thousands of men out there teaching exactly what this woman said. I find it amazing that you would blame the fact that she would say something like this on her being a woman. Did you ever think where did she get her teaching from, more than likely A MAN....

Upvote 0

KayD

Oct 31, 2005
United States
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
jennistout said:
Too bad there are thousands of men out there teaching exactly what this woman said. I find it amazing that you would blame the fact that she would say something like this on her being a woman. Did you ever think where did she get her teaching from, more than likely A MAN....

You know, I was going to respond to his (I'm assuming it's a him) statement too, but I had to stop seeing red first. Thanks Jenni!

I also wanted to add that possibly, just quite possibly, there wouldn't be a need for women to teach if most men were taking up the reins of responsibility and leadership as they ought to. ..just a thought...not saying that I agree, but just a thought. Afterall, Deborah was a judge in Israel too.

Upvote 0

Omacron

Dec 3, 2005
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
PraiseJesusAlways said:
Hello & God Bless You ! I am a 17 year old girl, and I have been Christian since I was little. Recently I've been going to a Pentecostal church and today (Sunday) they split up the children, the youth and the adults in three seperate groups for sunday school as usual. The church pastor was leading the discussion because she also pastors the youth group and she said that "whenever we sin God turns His back on us because He can not see sin therefore he leaves us". And I disagreed with that because what I read in the word of God is that he will never leave us or forsake us. I told her that if Jesus had not died for us, then God would have to turn His back on us whenever we sin, but since Jesus did die for us God sees us cleansed through the Blood of Jesus. (I think she was trying to scare us away from sinning by saying that "whenever we do sin, even by circumstances/by-mistake God will turn His back on us and leave us " but I believe we should obey God and try to please Him out of our love for Him, not only because we love Him but because He loved us first, Not out of fear, because love out of fear is not perfected love as it says in Romans 8:15) I also told her that by saying that God leaves every single time we sin that we are diminishing God because he is always faithful. She (the youth pastor) was kind of mean and very defensive, she rolled her eyes and told me that I was not going to change her beliefs (& I wasn't trying to, all I was saying was what God was putting in my heart) and she was acting like I was trying to brainwash everyone in the youth group or something. This was very saddening to me, I felt as If I was being persecuted or something :0( Please reply back to my post and let me know your opinion on this. Thank You & God Bless You :0)

God bless you,
You make me glad when I read that you beleave we should worship God because he loves us and is the Father. That is the reason we shouldn't sin. We should never do anything that would displease our God. But like others have mentioned here, we are not perfect. We are allowed grace and forgivness through the blood of Christ. There are more than a few who teach fire and brimstone trying to keep the flock from going astray. Fear of hell is not a good reason to worship God. No, God would never leave you. You are one of his children. His love for you is boundless and unconditional. A lot of times people will take a position on this or that. When confronted with the truth some of them will defend their position even when they know it is not right. Some people resist saying they were wrong. Pray for this person and love them as you are commanded to by God the Father.
Matthew 22

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

38This is the first and greatest commandment.

39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Also remember what else Jesus said:

Luke 6
27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Upvote 0

jennistout

Nov 13, 2005
✟7,803.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
KayD said:
You know, I was going to respond to his (I'm assuming it's a him) statement too, but I had to stop seeing red first. Thanks Jenni!

I also wanted to add that possibly, just quite possibly, there wouldn't be a need for women to teach if most men were taking up the reins of responsibility and leadership as they ought to. ..just a thought...not saying that I agree, but just a thought. Afterall, Deborah was a judge in Israel too.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I think it's pretty ignorant to believe that women should not be teaching at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ann52

Nov 27, 2005
New England
✟15,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Good topic. I went to a wonderful Pastor for counseling. I was living in sin. Willfully turning my back on God. My prayers hit a stone wall until I repented. I believe God will turn from us if we choose willful sin over Him.
2 Cor.5 We are no longer ignorant of the schemes of the enemy. The enemy cannot knock us down if we are thankful to God for His love, mercy, grace,joy and freedom. Attitude is a habit of the heart.
We do fall and we do the wrong things...we do not arrive at absoulte character but it should be a goal. Character is being tested and tried. When we mess up, we should respond by seeing how we can improve...learn from it.
The righteous fall 7 times and yet they stand up again. This does not mean a true 7 times.....it means the number of times it takes. We need to call out to Him when we fail...not hide. Blowing it does not mean you are a bad person...we can allow it to accuse us or we can take it to God and gain more character and Christlikeness. We should not let it accuse us...IT IS PAID FOR. Thank You Lord! He is a God of love, yet we need a respectful fear. Just my 2 cents. Ann

Upvote 0

TheRickster

God Chaser!
Nov 20, 2003
South East Missouri
Visit site
✟2,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 5
1. Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
2. through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;
4. and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
5. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
6. For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.
8. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
10. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
11. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

From the cross... He saw every sin... even after we were saved... till the day we die... and still He died for our sin...

Yes we must repent... and yes sin does bring a wall of guilt between us... but it's not because God leaves us.. but because we leave God...

BUT!!!...

He never turns His back on us... Like the prodigal son... He is looking for us afar off... and comes running to us every time we turn from our way... and come back to Him...

His grace, mercy, love, endures forever!!!!

Upvote 0

Hediru

Newlywed Wife, New Pastor, Loving the ride!
Sep 23, 2005
Ohio
✟17,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's what I think your pastor was trying to say: God doesn't turn his back on us when we sin. We turn our backs on God! That's why we have to pray for forgiveness. Hope this helps! I will pray for you.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2006
✟15,127.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi there

The first thought that i had was where your youth leaders beliefs came from, and if she communicated what she meant clearly. i'm not sure but she may have been refering to the ongoing interceeding Christ does on our behalf, but if that's not what she was thinking then she needs to be taken to task by someone in authority over her. We are never separated from the Love of Christ and God will never leave or forsake us as we're told in Romans 8 and Deut. 31. I'm sorry you had that experience, but on the other hand it caused you to examine what your beliefs are and what they are based on. Well done!!

Rob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PraiseJesusAlways said:

I think that you were quite correct, in your understanding of our relationship with God, and correct in speaking out publically. I know that the reastion from the leadership waspainful, and probably will continue to be so. People do not like to be corrected, certainly not in public, and never by "youngsters"! But we cannot allow wrong information about God to be taught! I agree with you about your thinking about the motivation, but misrepresenting God to get people to obey God is not justifiable.

So... what are you thinking about for your future???? :wave: Your theological understanding and courage are remarkable...

Upvote 0

Abyssal

Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
Las Vegas
✟11,196.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The person teaching you might have meant to get a different point across and then felt embaressed because you were right and probebly made the other kids think that the teacher was wrong. She would likely much rather talk to you about it when you are alone and she doesn't have to worry about what the other kids think. Either way she shouldn't have gotten all defencive, if she felt comfortable teaching and being with the kids then she should have felt fine saying "You're right, but what I am getting at is this...". If our youth director made a mistake then we have plenty of kids who would be happy to point it out and he wouldn't get all defencive and mad. It makes me think that God isn't with this teacher. But I don't know the situation at all so don't do somthing rash because of my thoughts.

~Abyss

Upvote 0