Does God love you?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Do you honestly believe that the other gospels will rebuke what John says?

Jesus has been personally teaching me for forty years, and I know that there is nothing in what Mathew, Mark, or Luke that would rebuke what Jesus said.

Believe me if there way it would have been brought to my attention many years ago.

Well .. if you are "the prophet" then you're always right ;)

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Hi,

I know of Jesus giving us a new commandment. I know of Jesus changing the rule on divorce, and the reason he gave. I know what Jesus said the Greatest Commandment is. I know what He said the second greatest commandment is. I know He said My Commandments, and my Word in John 14:21 and John 14:23.

I know of The Commandments of God, in what we call the Old Testament, and Jesus called Scripture. I know of The Word who is also God, and is Jesus The Christ, in John 1:1, if I am right.

I do not know of Jesus as being the God of The Old Testament, although He is spoken of there, and He might also be. I don't know that though.

What was He referring to as My Commandments, in John 14:21?

And, What was His word, in John 14:23?

I am more than curious, if you know. I do not.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I know of Jesus giving us a new commandment. I know of Jesus changing the rule on divorce, and the reason he gave. I know what Jesus said the Greatest Commandment is. I know what He said the second greatest commandment is. I know He said My Commandments, and my Word in John 14:21 and John 14:23.

I know of The Commandments of God, in what we call the Old Testament, and Jesus called Scripture. I know of The Word who is also God, and is Jesus The Christ, in John 1:1, if I am right.

I do not know of Jesus as being the God of The Old Testament, although He is spoken of there, and He might also be. I don't know that though.

What was He referring to as My Commandments, in John 14:21?

And, What was His word, in John 14:23?

I am more than curious, if you know. I do not.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

I tend to take the greatest and second greatest as the lense for all other so called commandments and see if they meet up to that standard. in Romans 13 there is a greater simplification if there be "any other commandment" it is summed up in this brief saying "love does not harm their neighbour"

In the Old Testament Jesus appeared as the "angel of the Lord" as "the glory of God" in Ezekiel (compare to form of Jesus in Revelation) and also as the Voice of God who walked around in the garden during the cool of the day in Genesis. And in context of the gospel of John it is very apt to look at the use of the word or the logos as referring to the voice of God or the voice of God incarnated in the person Jesus Christ.

So whatever the commandments may be in the John passage instance .. it is not specific, but the bible does provide a way of simplifying all commandments to one basis, that being love. So it isn't as hard as some have made it seem.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Is that a polite, loving answer?

It seems if one believes me to be wrong they should be considerate enough to point out scripturally where it is that tells me I am wrong.

I don’t tell people they are wrong without having some scripture to confirm my opinion.

If I am wrong then show me scripturally.

Personally I challenge the whole Christian Community to take a true look at what Jesus called us to live. My witness is that there are only a very few people who live what Jesus called us to live.

Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I tend to take the greatest and second greatest as the lense for all other so called commandments and see if they meet up to that standard. in Romans 13 there is a greater simplification if there be "any other commandment" it is summed up in this brief saying "love does not harm their neighbour"

In the Old Testament Jesus appeared as the "angel of the Lord" as "the glory of God" in Ezekiel (compare to form of Jesus in Revelation) and also as the Voice of God who walked around in the garden during the cool of the day in Genesis. And in context of the gospel of John it is very apt to look at the use of the word or the logos as referring to the voice of God or the voice of God incarnated in the person Jesus Christ.

So whatever the commandments may be in the John passage instance .. it is not specific, but the bible does provide a way of simplifying all commandments to one basis, that being love. So it isn't as hard as some have made it seem.

Love is a gift from God. Jesus told us to love him one has to live his Commandments.

(John 14:21) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.”

(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

Living God’s Commandments is loving people and God.

Let us look at some of the loving Commandments that Jesus called us to keep.

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

(Matthew 6:19) “Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and woodworms destroy them and thieves can break in and steal.”

(Luke 14:33) “So in the same way, none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up all his possessions

(Matthew 23:8-9) “You, however must not allow yourselves to be called Rabbi, since you have only one Master, and you are all brothers. You must call no one on earth your father, since you have only one Father, and he is in heaven.”

(Luke 12:33) “Sell your possessions and give alms. Get yourselves purses that do not wear out, treasure that will not fail you, in Heaven where no thief can reach it and no moth destroy it. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

(Matthew 5:29-30) “If your right eye should be your downfall, tear it out and throw it away; for it will do you less harm to lose one part of yourself than to have your whole body thrown into hell. And if your right hand should be your downfall, cut it off and throw it away; for it will do you less harm to lose one part of yourself than to have your whole body go to hell.”

(Matthew 5:48) “Even the pagans do as much, do they not? You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Do not sin. Sinning is only loving the devil, and is not loving people or God.

(1 John 3:8) “Whoever lives sinfully belongs to the devil, since the devil has been a sinner from the beginning. This was the purpose of the appearing of the Son of God, to undo the work of the devil.”

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Hi,

So we are left with guessing. I don't know. You don't know. The answer then is a probability or a possibility, but neither of us knows, what Jesus meant by My Commandments, in John 14:21.

For me, there are a lot of things Biblically that I don't have answers for. I can handle this that way. Maybe by thinking on this, the commandments of Jesus, will make sense one day.

He did say, love others as I have loved you. He did say that He is doing His Father's Will. He did seem to say that love is doing the will of the one you love, and for Him that was His Father, but us also. Dying on the cross was His Fathers will, and it did help us, so He loved his Father by doing His Will and He loved us by doing our secret will.

I said secret will, because in 1 John 4, somewhere it is said love consists of this, not that you have loved, but that you have been loved. Yet, it was not just Jesus who loved us, by dying. His Father loved us. Jesus probably does also, but the primary reason that seems stated Biblically, for Jesus being born into a human body and dying on the cross was to do His Father's will. It was to love His Father.

That being our desire to be right with God again, at least right enough so we could have access to Him again, after this life, that happened by His death on the cross, but I would still like to know what His, 'My Commandments' were in the Bible.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Hi,

So we are left with guessing. I don't know. You don't know. The answer then is a probability or a possibility, but neither of us knows, what Jesus meant by My Commandments, in John 14:21.

For me, there are a lot of things Biblically that I don't have answers for. I can handle this that way. Maybe by thinking on this, the commandments of Jesus, will make sense one day.

He did say, love others as I have loved you. He did say that He is doing His Father's Will. He did seem to say that love is doing the will of the one you love, and for Him that was His Father, but us also. Dying on the cross was His Fathers will, and it did help us, so He loved his Father by doing His Will and He loved us by doing our secret will.

I said secret will, because in 1 John 4, somewhere it is said love consists of this, not that you have loved, but that you have been loved. Yet, it was not just Jesus who loved us, by dying. His Father loved us. Jesus probably does also, but the primary reason that seems stated Biblically, for Jesus being born into a human body and dying on the cross was to do His Father's will. It was to love His Father.

That being our desire to be right with God again, at least right enough so we could have access to Him again, after this life, that happened by His death on the cross, but I would still like to know what His, 'My Commandments' were in the Bible.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .
One can know for sure they are not loving if he or she deliberately commits a sin.

The Holy Spirit will, if a person follows what the Holy Spirit tells them, teach and heal a person to where they will never sin at all.

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

Not sinning at all is truly loving God, and man.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
One can know for sure they are not loving if he or she deliberately commits a sin.

The Holy Spirit will, if a person follows what the Holy Spirit tells them, teach and heal a person to where they will never sin at all.

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

Not sinning at all is truly loving God, and man.

Hi,
Rarely am I stumped. Rarely do I come across things that I don't know how to take. Rarely.

Love others as I have loved you, and Not sinning at all is truly loving God, and man.

Yes, that seems to work.

So, how does one do that I say thinking on a single person's life as an example,,,,Maybe. I can have this conversation with her. She is here now.

"Do you love?"
Yes, I am love that is all tha I am.
"What do you mean. God is love, how is it that you are love and God is love if you are not God?"
Well. I am love. It was not always so. When I was younger, I would say that certainly was not so.
"Go on please"
There was a year and a half in my life, when I did the impossible. I did not do a single sin for a year and a half.
"That's impossible"
Yes, that is. I though was able to do that once in my life.
"Okay. I am confused"
Later, things started happening to me, and then I could love like I have never loved before. I loved selflessly.
"Okay"
God did that. I have no abilities to love greater than myself. I cannot love without God. God did that, but let me tell you a little more.
"This seems implausible"
Yes. Yes it does. My life now is being only love to you, and to everyone else. It seemed that was little. It is much. It was much. I though merely mirror love. I though without Jesus am just me.
"What do you mean."
In my case and every human is treated by God individually, so what I do for God, and what God does for me, apart from love, but in the way God loves, is different in each human being.
"Hmmm?"
In my case my requirements from God are actually to be a Catholic, as hard as that is for anyone to believe. I can be in any religion, that is Trinitarian, to make it simple. My assignment from God was the Catholics.
They have the Eucharist. Like a balloon deflated, is what I am. Like a baloon filled with air is what happens to me, when I am around the Eucharist. I do not understand this. I live it. Being around the Eucharist for one hour, at least once a month, causes Jesus, like air in the baloon of me, to escape when I am loving anyone.
What they get is Jesus and not me. That is how I love.
"I am not sure, I understand"
Nor do I. I as me, am no miracle worker. I as me, am not really nice. I with being around Jesus enough, am all of a sudden, nice, effective, and the miracles are in people becoming better.
Does that make any sense to you.
"No, but I have heard that we are to become more Christ Like."
I would say that is exactly what I said.
"I need to go now."
Certainly.

She this woman, loves and is love we all see it. And she does not think it is her, but an effect of just being near Jesus. I imagine all the people I see who get close to Jesus, Biblically, are this way. I imagine.
Wait.

"How do you become this way, again?"
God did this. I could not do this on my own. I never was like this.
"What about this man's words on love"
Yes, for me, I when I love, do not sin. And I know it. God lets me know this. When and if I do not do His Will often enough, then I can sin again.
"What?"
The Bible and where God puts you in life, is God's Will for you. It is the same for all people. I pray, and not because I want to, but because it is in the Bible. I give alms. I don't want to do that. The me that is me, does not want to do that. I do it, because it is written. I don't want to work with the poor. I do because it is written. I don't want to be humble. I do the work to be humble, becauase it is written. I don't want to work. I do because it is written. I don't want to go to regular meetings. I do because it is written. I do not want to do what my assigned church tells me to do. I do because it is written. Just doing the things that are written, and that assigned church tells me to do, causes me to work for God, and I don't sin when I am doing that, or He forgives all my sins or ignores them, like maybe happened to Abraham. I am not certain. But, I know that some of the things I do now, would have been called sins by me once upon a time, and they no longer are, as long as I do my part.
"I don't quite understand"
And neither do I, but it is my life.
"Well thanks"
Do you want anything deeper?
"Ah, no. No. Not today."
Fine.

Well I think I am more confused now, than when I started. You bother me JohnLove, but in a good way. In a good way.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Hi,
Rarely am I stumped. Rarely do I come across things that I don't know how to take. Rarely.

Love others as I have loved you, and Not sinning at all is truly loving God, and man.

Yes, that seems to work.

So, how does one do that I say thinking on a single person's life as an example,,,,Maybe. I can have this conversation with her. She is here now.

"Do you love?"
Yes, I am love that is all tha I am.
"What do you mean. God is love, how is it that you are love and God is love if you are not God?"
Well. I am love. It was not always so. When I was younger, I would say that certainly was not so.
"Go on please"
There was a year and a half in my life, when I did the impossible. I did not do a single sin for a year and a half.
"That's impossible"
Yes, that is. I though was able to do that once in my life.
"Okay. I am confused"
Later, things started happening to me, and then I could love like I have never loved before. I loved selflessly.
"Okay"
God did that. I have no abilities to love greater than myself. I cannot love without God. God did that, but let me tell you a little more.
"This seems implausible"
Yes. Yes it does. My life now is being only love to you, and to everyone else. It seemed that was little. It is much. It was much. I though merely mirror love. I though without Jesus am just me.
"What do you mean."
In my case and every human is treated by God individually, so what I do for God, and what God does for me, apart from love, but in the way God loves, is different in each human being.
"Hmmm?"
In my case my requirements from God are actually to be a Catholic, as hard as that is for anyone to believe. I can be in any religion, that is Trinitarian, to make it simple. My assignment from God was the Catholics.
They have the Eucharist. Like a balloon deflated, is what I am. Like a baloon filled with air is what happens to me, when I am around the Eucharist. I do not understand this. I live it. Being around the Eucharist for one hour, at least once a month, causes Jesus, like air in the baloon of me, to escape when I am loving anyone.
What they get is Jesus and not me. That is how I love.
"I am not sure, I understand"
Nor do I. I as me, am no miracle worker. I as me, am not really nice. I with being around Jesus enough, am all of a sudden, nice, effective, and the miracles are in people becoming better.
Does that make any sense to you.
"No, but I have heard that we are to become more Christ Like."
I would say that is exactly what I said.
"I need to go now."
Certainly.

She this woman, loves and is love we all see it. And she does not think it is her, but an effect of just being near Jesus. I imagine all the people I see who get close to Jesus, Biblically, are this way. I imagine.
Wait.

"How do you become this way, again?"
God did this. I could not do this on my own. I never was like this.
"What about this man's words on love"
Yes, for me, I when I love, do not sin. And I know it. God lets me know this. When and if I do not do His Will often enough, then I can sin again.
"What?"
The Bible and where God puts you in life, is God's Will for you. It is the same for all people. I pray, and not because I want to, but because it is in the Bible. I give alms. I don't want to do that. The me that is me, does not want to do that. I do it, because it is written. I don't want to work with the poor. I do because it is written. I don't want to be humble. I do the work to be humble, becauase it is written. I don't want to work. I do because it is written. I don't want to go to regular meetings. I do because it is written. I do not want to do what my assigned church tells me to do. I do because it is written. Just doing the things that are written, and that assigned church tells me to do, causes me to work for God, and I don't sin when I am doing that, or He forgives all my sins or ignores them, like maybe happened to Abraham. I am not certain. But, I know that some of the things I do now, would have been called sins by me once upon a time, and they no longer are, as long as I do my part.
"I don't quite understand"
And neither do I, but it is my life.
"Well thanks"
Do you want anything deeper?
"Ah, no. No. Not today."
Fine.

Well I think I am more confused now, than when I started. You bother me JohnLove, but in a good way. In a good way.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .
There is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ our Lord and God that one needs to have. They need this relationship to be able to understand, and come to know God.

I believe the first step in having a relationship with Jesus, begins with a desire for one to be holy.

That desire to be holy comes from one’s spirit, and one’s spirit is from God.

To be holy one has to be given the Holy Spirit. And one makes a commitment to obey the Holy Spirit

Then a person needs to give one’s life to Jesus/God.

Giving one’s life to God means one becomes a servant of God’s and always does God’s will.

Doing God’s will is being holy.

Then that is when a true personal relationship with Jesus begins.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Love is a gift from God. Jesus told us to love him one has to live his Commandments.

(John 14:21) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.”

(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

Living God’s Commandments is loving people and God.

Let us look at some of the loving Commandments that Jesus called us to keep.

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

(Matthew 6:19) “Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and woodworms destroy them and thieves can break in and steal.”

(Luke 14:33) “So in the same way, none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up all his possessions

(Matthew 23:8-9) “You, however must not allow yourselves to be called Rabbi, since you have only one Master, and you are all brothers. You must call no one on earth your father, since you have only one Father, and he is in heaven.”

(Luke 12:33) “Sell your possessions and give alms. Get yourselves purses that do not wear out, treasure that will not fail you, in Heaven where no thief can reach it and no moth destroy it. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

(Matthew 5:29-30) “If your right eye should be your downfall, tear it out and throw it away; for it will do you less harm to lose one part of yourself than to have your whole body thrown into hell. And if your right hand should be your downfall, cut it off and throw it away; for it will do you less harm to lose one part of yourself than to have your whole body go to hell.”

(Matthew 5:48) “Even the pagans do as much, do they not? You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Do not sin. Sinning is only loving the devil, and is not loving people or God.

(1 John 3:8) “Whoever lives sinfully belongs to the devil, since the devil has been a sinner from the beginning. This was the purpose of the appearing of the Son of God, to undo the work of the devil.”

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

The problem is that, if you do not do what you are teaching .. you are heaping up condemnation for yourself . I appreciate your efforts to explain your point, but I sincerely doubt you have the authority to speak the message you are speaking.

In anycase thank you for the message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Is that a polite, loving answer?

It seems if one believes me to be wrong they should be considerate enough to point out scripturally where it is that tells me I am wrong.

I don’t tell people they are wrong without having some scripture to confirm my opinion.

If I am wrong then show me scripturally.

Personally I challenge the whole Christian Community to take a true look at what Jesus called us to live. My witness is that there are only a very few people who live what Jesus called us to live.

As with a sibling I was jokingly pointing out that you may be blinded by your pride, it helps to know our blind spots when surveying the oracles of God.

Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The problem is that, if you do not do what you are teaching .. you are heaping up condemnation for yourself . I appreciate your efforts to explain your point, but I sincerely doubt you have the authority to speak the message you are speaking.

In anycase thank you for the message.
You share your opinion for what it is worth, and don’t have anything to support what you say.

That does not seem to be doing anyone any good, does it?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You share your opinion for what it is worth, and don’t have anything to support what you say.

That does not seem to be doing anyone any good, does it?

Ditto.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Luke 6:32
“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Yes, God, the Father of Jesus .. loves me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Mike, when have I posted without giving scripture to support my beliefs?

Scripture can take on the appearance of a montage or collage or word art . in that one cuts scripture out of the bible as with a magazine glues it to a piece of cardboard and presents it as their view of scripture .. in this case this is what I have been observing.

Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
As with a sibling I was jokingly pointing out that you may be blinded by your pride, it helps to know our blind spots when surveying the oracles of God.

Pride comes from believing what one has is coming from him or herself.

Everything I know and say, comes from, and is given to me by God.

When people can’t refute a message they don’t want to hear they throw stones, at those who are giving them the message.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Pride comes from believing what one has is coming from him or herself.

Everything I know and say, comes from, and is given to me by God.

When people can’t refute a message they don’t want to hear they throw stones, at those who are giving them the message.

Scripture has been presented to the opposite of your suppositions throughout this thread, however, you have discounted these scriptures. Therefore, I find the above post disingenuous.

Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Luke 6:32
“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Yes, God, the Father of Jesus .. loves me.

I have already shown in this thread just how those scriptures you quoted have nothing to do with if Jesus loves us now.

Also how do you believe those scriptures you quoted rebuke what Jesus said in the following scripture?

(Matthew 7:21) “It is not those who say to me, ‘Lord, Lord’, who will enter the kingdom of Heaven but the person who does the will of My Father in Heaven. When the day comes many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?’ Then I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, you evil men!”

Jesus said he does not even know those who don’t keep his Commandments, much less love them.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have already shown in this thread just how those scriptures you quoted have nothing to do with if Jesus loves us now.

okay, well if those scriptures cannot mean what they say, then your scriptures do not either. Problem solved.

Upvote 0