1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God love atheists and heathens?

Discussion in 'Struggles by Non-Christians' started by seekingagnostic32, Nov 8, 2011.

Does God love atheists and heathens?

1. Yes god loves everyone.

2. No, god does not love non-christians.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ?

2. ChristianT

ChristianT Newbie Orthodox

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    Luke 5:32
    Romans 5:8
    So the answer is yes, God does love atheists and heathens, however, not in a way where they can just disbelieve and randomly go to Heaven, but so that they might one day before their death, recognize who God is and change their lives (not to follow a list of dos and donts but to simply stop sinning and live free of sin).

3. ChristianT

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    I love how with the current results, God definitely loves atheists and heathens. :cool::p:D

Attached Files:

4. I was taught that god does not love anyone but the elect.

5. ChristianT

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    from where or whom were you taught?

6. dewba

dewba Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Yes!

John 3:16
    16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

7. Westminster Confession and Synod of Dordt specifically. God calls some and damns the rest.

8. dewba

dewba Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Proverbs 16:4
    The LORD works out everything for his own ends--even the wicked for a day of disaster.

9. ChristianT

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    The problem with the idea of the elect is this:
    Think of all the years from creation (if you don't believe in this, take a quick assumption... if you believe in secular or even theistic evolution, the dates are much longer). Now of the 6000 (+/-) years of human existence, how many people have lived? one can guess billions, trillions, etc. But in Revelation, John said that he only saw 144 000 of the elect. So therefore, the odds of any of us being the elect are almost if not zero. If we were not destined for grace, and we can not receive grace by a faith and life dedicated to Jesus and a life-change (change of sin), then why doesn't God just condemn us now? what would be the point in letting us live if we could not be saved from our sin?

These are real questions, so please answer or provide questions if you want.

10. These are all good reasons why I'm not a believer at this point. I could suppose that god lets man live on earth so that he has a little bit of joy and fun in his life before going to hell. There is some merit in that.

11. dewba

dewba Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    If God works everything out for his own ends (even the wicked), then nobody is "eternally damned;" It would be incredibly cruel, if it were so, and God is not cruel...the pain that we feel while in world is nothing compared to the complete bliss of heaven

12. ChristianT

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    proving my point ("what would be the point in letting us live if we could not be saved from our sin?" my point is we can be saved from our sin. That's why Jesus died. Not for the few or elect to be saved, but for ALL who believe and truly strive to remove sin from their lives).

I am a believer because I know those statements of God throwing us away [into Hell] are false!

In Romans for instance, Paul did NOT say "But God demonstrated his own love for some of us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for the few of us."

13. Romans 9 says god chooses whom he will to save and whom he will reject or harden. You're believing only the parts of the Bible you like and agree with, while you reject the unpleasant parts. I used to do that too.

14. ChristianT

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    Romans 9:19-24
    this may sound Calvanistic, however!

going on, in context,

Romans 9:25-29
    those who were not God's people (the 'elect') will be called his people... how can this not obviously deny the claims of Calvanism and predestination?

also, what is predestination as you believe it (or don't)?
    I think of it as a lack of free will, as we all have.

15. There is no free will, god wills everything. He did so with Pharaoh to display his power and that is why he damns people.

The more I listened to Calvin, the more I came to see it lined up with the Bible.

16. razeontherock

razeontherock New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    This post is very good, right up to the part I emphasized. That much is also right on, but it can be read in a works righteousness frame of mind. this is why it's so essential to become "grounded in the word," so we don't fall to prey to legalism. On CF, many "former Christians" stand as a warning of this!

17. ChristianT

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    I agree. Legalism is not what God want(s)(ed), and is not what gets us a place in Heaven with God.

18. ChristianT

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    At least, He didn't want all of our focus only on keeping laws and hope that leads to salvation.