Does God expect us to be perfect?

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brothers and Sisters.

Much debate and confusion can be abated when its realized
that "perfect" in the original means "complete".

Its the goal, and the prize, but its only by me being agreeable (believing)
and HIM (SPIRIT) actually doing it.

-eric

The Exchanged Life

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear If Not For Grace. Jesus told us to be perfect, He did not say unless we are perfect... God can see our hearts and our thoughts, God will know how hard we try to become as loving as God wants us to be, and God will also know if we hardly try, because Jesus died for us. Jesus died for all past sins of humanity, Jesus paid the prize we could not, and Jesus reconciled us to God. Now we are free to return to God, but God is Love, and God wants loving children/sons and daughters. We have enough time to become as God wants us to be. The Bible also tells us again and again: " Repent," change from being selfish and unloving TO: loving and caring selflessly and no conditions asked. God gave us free will, and we have to become His loving children. I say this humbly and with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

sterken7983

Apr 10, 2011
✟7,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, Salvation in Jesus 101.

In the beginning God created man (and woman) to have perfect fellowship and relationship with Himself in the perfect garden. God created us with free will, so that we have choices about relationships. Satan, a fallen angel, was in the garden with man and woman and brought temptation to go against God to man and woman. Enter free will and choice; and woman decided what Satan said might be advantageous to her and her mate-man. So, she and the man, disobeyed God, enter SIN. Sin is merely going against God's will for our lives. So, broken relationship with God, resulting in limited fellowship between God and mankind. No longer perfect.

God needed a perfect reconcilliation with man, His creation. God tried to have man reconciled by blood sacrifice of His second best creation; animals, but that was an imperfect reconcilliation, which man was unable to keep due to our sinful nature after the fall in the garden. God needed a perfect sacrifice to perfectly reconcile man to Himself. The entire Old Testament points to that perfect sacrifice and perfect reconcilliation of man to God and restoration of perfect fellowship lost in the garden.

Enter the birth of Jesus, the Word which was in the beginning with God, and was God, Who became flesh and blood and walked on the earth as man and still God, so is perfect in all ways.

Enter Satan with Jesus in the desert to tempt Jesus as he tempts man. Jesus defeats Satan's temptations with the Word of God as an example to all other humans as to how to defeat temptations from Satan.

Then comes Jesus ministry to man to show humans the true nature of God the Father of all creation. Jesus performs many miracles to encourage and heal humans of things that keep us from having quality of life and to show that there is quality of life in Him. Jesus continually forgives sins and provides guidance of how God wants to have a loving, accepting, forgiving relationship with His creation.

Then, the final solution to sin: Jesus death on the cross and the acceptance of all human sin upon Himself, which He carries into Haedes (Hell) and leaves there. He presents Himself to those in Haedes who have died before His sacrifice and take those who accept Him in to Heaven for eternity. They are now perfect as He is perfect, by His perfect blood sacrifice. Jesus now returns to His dead flesh and blood body in the tomb, gives it new life, and walks again on the earth as a guarantee to us of resurrection into a new life, perfected by His perfect sacrifice on the cross as a substitute for us.

Jesus now ascends into Heaven to prepare a place for each of us to live in eternity with Him in a perfect relationship and perfectly restored fellowship with our Creator God. He then sends the third part of God, the Holy Spirit, to encourage us and strengthen us and teach us the truth and power of God.

When we, you, accept Jesus' substitutional sacrifice for our/your sins, God begins to look at us through the blood of Jesus, instead of directly at us. We are perfect, as Jesus is perfect. Not because of us or anything that we do or can do, but because of Jesus and what He did, and what the Holy Spirit can do for us and in us.

It is a free gift from God called grace that makes us perfect as He is perfect.

Be blessed by God,
Lee

Amen. Lee has defenitely nailed it. This is the Truth of God.

I would also like to add, picking up right where Lee left off.

"
"It is a free gift from God called grace that makes us perfect as He is perfect."

Now, because you are in the flesh, but have NOW recieved the Holy Spirit, you now can call upon the Holy Spirit to deliver you from temptation.

But, if you fail in your faith and fall into sin (meaning, sin) you must confess that sin before Christ, so that you may be washed and presented clean. So therefore, we must strive, while in the flesh, through faith to remain in the Spirit, and to walk unto righteousness, so that we do NOT fall to sin. The Word strengthens us through the Holy Spirit to give us power through faith to now resist temptation by the might of the Holy Spirit which is now in us.

So that it s a daily dying of the old man, and rasing up with the new. The more this happens and the less we sin, the more satan flees from us and the stronger the holy Spirit is in us. Jesus showed us that even IN THE FLESH, because of the Holy Spirit being with us, we can walk in PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS just as He did. For His flesh body was ABSOLUTELY no different than ours. He simply maintained perfect FAITH in the Holy Spirit and never ONCE fell to the temptation of sin. This is hard for man to accomplish but it is what Christ tells us to STRIVE FOR. So that we may remain PERFECT before Our Heavenly Father so that the Holy Spirit can continue to bring us closer and closer to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION, which we will recieve in the Ressurection, when we recieve our perfect spiritual body in heaven.

So yes, God wants us to be perfect and the Holy Spirit gives us the means by faith with which to accomplish this. Christ was the sacrifice and IS the Living Way to forgiveness and the Holy Spirit, and to the Father.

Praise be to the Lord, for He is Mighty, and His Works cause me to tremble in fear and awe.:bow:

Upvote 0

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen. Lee has defenitely nailed it. This is the Truth of God.

I would also like to add, picking up right where Lee left off.

"
"It is a free gift from God called grace that makes us perfect as He is perfect."

Now, because you are in the flesh, but have NOW recieved the Holy Spirit, you now can call upon the Holy Spirit to deliver you from temptation.

But, if you fail in your faith and fall into sin (meaning, sin) you must confess that sin before Christ, so that you may be washed and presented clean. So therefore, we must strive, while in the flesh, through faith to remain in the Spirit, and to walk unto righteousness, so that we do NOT fall to sin. The Word strengthens us through the Holy Spirit to give us power through faith to now resist temptation by the might of the Holy Spirit which is now in us.

So that it s a daily dying of the old man, and rasing up with the new. The more this happens and the less we sin, the more satan flees from us and the stronger the holy Spirit is in us. Jesus showed us that even IN THE FLESH, because of the Holy Spirit being with us, we can walk in PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS just as He did. For His flesh body was ABSOLUTELY no different than ours. He simply maintained perfect FAITH in the Holy Spirit and never ONCE fell to the temptation of sin. This is hard for man to accomplish but it is what Christ tells us to STRIVE FOR. So that we may remain PERFECT before Our Heavenly Father so that the Holy Spirit can continue to bring us closer and closer to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION, which we will recieve in the Ressurection, when we recieve our perfect spiritual body in heaven.

So yes, God wants us to be perfect and the Holy Spirit gives us the means by faith with which to accomplish this. Christ was the sacrifice and IS the Living Way to forgiveness and the Holy Spirit, and to the Father.

Praise be to the Lord, for He is Mighty, and His Works cause me to tremble in fear and awe.:bow:

And now comes the Holy Spirit to begin the process in us of "SANCTIFICATION". Through sanctification a Christian can live without sin for an hour. Then for two hours. Then for a day, then for a week, without sinning. It is a process and takes time, as we surrender to the power of the Holy Spirit. It is not something we will accomplish completely until we leave this earth. It is an on-going process. But, the Holy Spirit can accomplish temporary periods in our flesh and blood bodies whereby we do not sin, for a time.

I have sin in my flesh and blood body. WE all do. Yet, there have been days, even weeks, that I have operated without sin, BECAUSE the Holy Spirit was able to set me aside to do so. I have always fallen back into a sin here or a sin there, which is why John wrote:

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:5-10 NIV

Be blessed
Lee52

Upvote 0

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, when we are in a condition where Jesus purifies us from all sin, we are perfect as He is perfect.

When we confess our sins and He is faithful and just and forgives us our sins and purifies us from ALL unrighteousness, we are perfect at that moment, like He is perfect.

Be blessed,
Lee52

Upvote 0

Ttery

May 27, 2010
✟19,617.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OP Short Answer NO!

Then there was no need for Jesus to come down here at all if "we" can be perfect.

I was not perfect before being saved, am not perfect now-so if God expected me to be perfect He messed up, but then He could not be God & do that now could He?

Stop twisting these words, I have said nothing about being "Perfect". I said that it is possible to stop sinning. As in: "I used to sin". If it wasn't possible to not sin Jesus would not have been able to do so. Of course we need Jesus, we have sinned and we shouldn't claim to be without sin because all have sinned.

Jesus saved us from our sin.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we are saved we become new creations. We die to our worldly self and are reborn in the spirit. We are being perfected in the image of Gods Son, Jesus Christ. Yes, His standard is perfection. We should live as His Son did, in complete obedience. Though we are not yet perfected, when we enter the Kingdom the corruptible will put on the incorruptible and we never sin again.

Or does He want u to be perfect?
There's a couple of verses in the Bible saying that we are to be perfect just like God but doesn't It also say that no one is righteous except God?

Please help me out on this issue...it's really frustrating me...

Thank you in return and God bless you all... ;)

Upvote 0