Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
sweetcaroline said:
What is the official Catholic stance on this? Does god predetermine when we all die or is it all up to chance?:scratch:

Well, He may have some plan for it. But to say we can't affect that plan, by say, deciding to jump off a building beforehand would seem to deny free will.

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
BillH said:
Well, He may have some plan for it. But to say we can't affect that plan, by say, deciding to jump off a building beforehand would seem to deny free will.

That's where I get confused.

Is there anything written about this?

I realize committing suicide would not be a predestined thing....I guess...I mean I dunno...I would think if something is predestined than it's set in stone. I was thinking though more along the lines of does it really matter each little thing I do or will it happen at a set time and place no matter what I do.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟437,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
WE all have a set reason in life...and are given our abilities.

WE also have the ability to make each new choice b4 us....and with each choice, God knows the conclusions.

Hmmm, :scratch: How do I put this...?

You have path A and path B....
You have free will to choose A or B...so you take A, and consistently take path A in your life, then your life will lead you to your eventual death {Everyone's outcome} which might be a longer life than if you choose path B.
If you take A or B is a determinent.

Ex...You choose to smoke, thus God knows your body will slowly attack itself, and your choice caused your death to come sooner...but God KNOWS the date of your death because of your choices...

:D I dunno if I made sense...ANYWAY

God allows our free will help determine our time of death.
OR circumstances that we could have changed...had we listened to our Guardian Angel. Whom God gives us to warn us. {Especially when He feels we should have more time on earth}

Ex...the ppl who might have skipped a flight that 'crashed'....because they 'felt' funny about taking it that day.

These are IMO...:wave:

etc etc

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
3toraiseup said:
Bridget,

The Catholic Church allows for beliefs on both sides of the predestination camps. There is a good article explaining what a Catholic *may* believe on the subject here: Tiptoe through the TULIP

Oh wow! thanks! I'll read it once the kidlets are in bed since at the moment they are destroying my bedroom by making pretend my bed is a mountain and they're going to snowboard down a bunch of pillows and land into my closet. :doh:

be back in a while to comment...just heard a loud *thud* ...:sorry:

Upvote 0

Seek Ye First

Senior Veteran
Dec 19, 2004
✟18,367.00
Faith
Catholic
Hello Bridgett, read this little story about a woman who went to San Giovanni:

At a time of great trial in my life, I decided to join a Pilgrimage tour, to include San Giovanni Rotondo, with my children, including my son Emil. This had been organised in Sri Lanka where I lived, for all the Catholics in the area.

On this tour I heard about Padre Pio for the first time. We decided to attend a Mass at the Church of Our Lady of Grace, and witnessed and experienced an unforgettable drama unfolding before our eyes as Padre Pio offered the most profound sacrifice of the Mass. The frail wounded figure, assisted by two monks, approached the main altar. and with agonising steps he moved as he said the prayers.

After Mass the men folk were allowed to go forward and kissPadre Pio's hand. My son Emil and another gentleman from our group were led to the sacristy, and as Padre Pio made his way back to his cell, Emil was once more called forward to kiss Padre pio's hand with his handkerchief. Then I noticed Padre Pio bent close to my son as if to say something. I said "Did the Padre say something to you?". It was a question never answered.

On our arrival home, Emil resumed school and was excelling in many areas. One night he remembered his precious handkerchief and asked to have it. Soon he was getting a sweet perfume, which seemed indescribable.

It was about midday that afternoon; I was called out, and then went back home for lunch. A neighbour demanded to know what Emil was wearing, we asked for what reason and he said a boy had been drowned near by that day. It was our son who had gone to the beach and drowned.

It was afterwards that I found out from a pilgrimage companion that Emil had disclosed in a jovial mood that Padre Pio had told him he had not long to live. Then the truth had dawned on me - It is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life. My Emil must have known this too.

C.P. Sri Lanka

God knows when we are going to die, thats why I think its so important to pray everyday that we will die in a state of grace.

God bless Bridgett!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟437,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
seek ye first said:
Hello Bridgett, read this little story about a woman who went to San Giovanni:

At a time of great trial in my life, I decided to join a Pilgrimage tour, to include San Giovanni Rotondo, with my children, including my son Emil. This had been organised in Sri Lanka where I lived, for all the Catholics in the area.

On this tour I heard about Padre Pio for the first time. We decided to attend a Mass at the Church of Our Lady of Grace, and witnessed and experienced an unforgettable drama unfolding before our eyes as Padre Pio offered the most profound sacrifice of the Mass. The frail wounded figure, assisted by two monks, approached the main altar. and with agonising steps he moved as he said the prayers.

After Mass the men folk were allowed to go forward and kissPadre Pio's hand. My son Emil and another gentleman from our group were led to the sacristy, and as Padre Pio made his way back to his cell, Emil was once more called forward to kiss Padre pio's hand with his handkerchief. Then I noticed Padre Pio bent close to my son as if to say something. I said "Did the Padre say something to you?". It was a question never answered.

On our arrival home, Emil resumed school and was excelling in many areas. One night he remembered his precious handkerchief and asked to have it. Soon he was getting a sweet perfume, which seemed indescribable.

It was about midday that afternoon; I was called out, and then went back home for lunch. A neighbour demanded to know what Emil was wearing, we asked for what reason and he said a boy had been drowned near by that day. It was our son who had gone to the beach and drowned.

It was afterwards that I found out from a pilgrimage companion that Emil had disclosed in a jovial mood that Padre Pio had told him he had not long to live. Then the truth had dawned on me - It is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life. My Emil must have known this too.

C.P. Sri Lanka

God knows when we are going to die, thats why I think its so important to pray everyday that we will die in a state of grace.

God bless Bridgett!

:crosseo: I so adore Padre Pio....yet this is so sad. :cry:
Yes God always knows when we will die. Sometimes we are warned tho.

And I believe the choices we have in life also make things come or not.

I say this...... :cry: Because a part of me will always and always wish I would have listened to my 'guardian angel' when it came to my nephew.

I heard a 'inner voice' tell me that my nephew should not go with his brother...he must NOT go with him.

3 days later he was in a car with his 21 yr old brother driving, and they had a horrible accident.

My lil nephew........... :cry: didnt live long after.
I feel it is part my fault...I should have listened....I just should have.

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
3toraiseup said:
Bridget,

The Catholic Church allows for beliefs on both sides of the predestination camps. There is a good article explaining what a Catholic *may* believe on the subject here: Tiptoe through the TULIP

Ok...I've read through the article but I think maybe you misunderstood...or more likely I didn't communicate my question properly.

I"m not asking if God knows who is going to heaven or hell. I'm asking if God predetermines when we die....whether or not we go up or down is not the question. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.