Does God care about our financial situations?

Moonrise Lu

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I posted in the Prayer Request threads about struggling financially, asking people to pray for me to find a new job cause I'm about to be at the end of my rope, financially speaking.

But then I have been wondering, does God even care about my financial situation? Lots of people have less than I do. There's gotta be some Christians out there who are homeless. Should I be asking God to help me get a better job? Does He really care if I get evicted from my apartment if I end up not being able to make rent?

I remember in church people would tell you to turn to God when you struggle with money and He would get you on your feet again, but then I remember those stories of people in the bible losing everything (Job for example, Joseph, etc etc) So I keep wondering about what if I literally lost everything? Would that really matter to God? Is having financial stability/gain, a place to call home, and food on the table every night really something God promises to provide?

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But then I have been wondering, does God even care about my financial situation? Lots of people have less than I do. There's gotta be some Christians out there who are homeless.
I wouldn't say that you should think he "doesn't care," but it was very good of you to have this realization, in my opinion. I'm not Christian, but one of my pet peeves is when people suddenly question God's goodness or existence just because they start experiencing misfortune, even though they've always known that plenty of other people experience worse things every day. A+ for recognizing that people who struggle aren't necessarily doing something wrong in that regard. :)

Upvote 0

aangel

Sep 25, 2014
✟14,822.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently read a book called 'A Better Way to Pray' by Andrew Wommack. You can listen to audio version on his website for free. As a new believer I'm still trying to find my way but everything in this book made a lot of sense to me. I don't think for a second that God wants us to be poor and struggling.

Upvote 0

Moonrise Lu

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recently read a book called 'A Better Way to Pray' by Andrew Wommack. You can listen to audio version on his website for free. As a new believer I'm still trying to find my way but everything in this book made a lot of sense to me. I don't think for a second that God wants us to be poor and struggling.

Thanks, I'll try listening when I can.

Upvote 0

RobertMerton

Veteran
Mar 19, 2005
Internet
✟17,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I posted in the Prayer Request threads about struggling financially, asking people to pray for me to find a new job cause I'm about to be at the end of my rope, financially speaking.

But then I have been wondering, does God even care about my financial situation? Lots of people have less than I do. There's gotta be some Christians out there who are homeless. Should I be asking God to help me get a better job? Does He really care if I get evicted from my apartment if I end up not being able to make rent?

I remember in church people would tell you to turn to God when you struggle with money and He would get you on your feet again, but then I remember those stories of people in the bible losing everything (Job for example, Joseph, etc etc) So I keep wondering about what if I literally lost everything? Would that really matter to God? Is having financial stability/gain, a place to call home, and food on the table every night really something God promises to provide?

Of course he cares.
The bible says to pray about all things (Philippians 4:6).
And also, Matthew 6:26 (I'll let you read that for yourself).

God provides. Just don't expect him to provide a BMW lol.
Food on the table? No worries.

Upvote 0

Samuel_Rigby

Preparing for rain
Feb 12, 2005
✟22,103.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Andrew Wommack is a prosperity gospel preacher. You will get much better advice following Dave Ramsey or Dan Celia.

So if you think God doesn't want us poor and struggling are you saying that the poor and struggling are outside of God's will? Was the Apostle Paul outside of God's will when he was in prison? When Jesus said he had no place to lay his head, was it because he didn't have enough faith?

This is what I'm talking about. . .Andrew Wommack and the prosperity gospel doesn't match up to reality and the Bible. It is true that God doesn't want you to struggle. He wants you to find your contentment in Him no matter how much money you have.

Philippians 4:11–13 (ESV). . .
11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.(emphasis added)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aangel

Sep 25, 2014
✟14,822.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Andrew Wommack is a prosperity gospel preacher. You will get much better advice following Dave Ramsey or Dan Celia.

So if you think God doesn't want us poor and struggling are you saying that the poor and struggling are outside of God's will? Was the Apostle Paul outside of God's will when he was in prison? When Jesus said he had no place to lay his head, was it because he didn't have enough faith?

Philippians 4:11–13 (ESV). . .
11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.(emphasis added)

Yeah... that's not what I said at all. Regardless of what situation you're in and whether you have money or not, it's important to always be thankful to God for what you do have. But at the same time I am not about to go around saying or thinking to myself that God wants me or anyone else to be poor or struggling.

Upvote 0

Samuel_Rigby

Preparing for rain
Feb 12, 2005
✟22,103.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"I am persuaded that the Bible teaches a form of Christian capitalism—responsibility associated with wealth. It does not promote the possession of money for the sake of money, but instead encourages us to use money for the sake of the kingdom." ~ Hank Hanegraaff

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SillyFool

Motley
Nov 7, 2014
✟7,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There have been great Christian men and women who have been fabulously wealthy and ruled nations, and there have been great Christian men and women who have lived destitute and almost-naked in the wilderness. Both situations can be perfectly part of God's desire for an individual's healing and the redemption of the world. The question we must ask is, "what is necessary for the healing of my soul and my conformity to His likeness?"

Upvote 0

Moonrise Lu

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"I am persuaded that the Bible teaches a form of Christian capitalism—responsibility associated with wealth. It does not promote the possession of money for the sake of money, but instead encourages us to use money for the sake of the kingdom." ~ Hank Hanegraaff

That's part of why I wanna have more money. I want to be able to tithe, and when I go to Albertsons to pick stuff up, I used to always add a couple $5 charity donation things to my purchase, but now I can't do that. I miss being able to do that and I want to be able to give money to God through tithing.

There have been great Christian men and women who have been fabulously wealthy and ruled nations, and there have been great Christian men and women who have lived destitute and almost-naked in the wilderness. Both situations can be perfectly part of God's desire for an individual's healing and the redemption of the world. The question we must ask is, "what is necessary for the healing of my soul and my conformity to His likeness?"

Not really sure how this could be necessary for my conforming to His likeness lol. I guess if I'd be obsessed with my money or something I'd see how losing it would be good, but I've never had an abundance of money, was always just "okay". How could struggling be good for healing and world redemption?

Upvote 0

youngthomas

Nov 11, 2014
North Carolina
✟15,226.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm in a similar situation. Tonight I prayed hard about it, and what I feel is God calling me to take more action, to be "brave" if you will. Keep faith, but also to try a little harder. I believe he provides, no doubt, but sometimes he calls us to take more action. Just my 2 cents. I'll say another prayer for us both, sister.

Upvote 0

SillyFool

Motley
Nov 7, 2014
✟7,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Moonrise Lu "Not really sure how this could be necessary for my conforming to His likeness [...] How could struggling be good for healing and world redemption?"

That is one of the most beautiful, profound, important, and difficult questions any Christian can ever face. In it is locked the mystery of our faith and the heart of our God. I truly do not know of a question you could ask that would take you more quickly into the depths of His character.

Upvote 0