✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You don't offer Liturgies for the dead?

normally no. I have heard of that happening in EO Churches, but that is more of a Western thing and not common. we do have specific services for the dead (like the one in the video), and there are prayers for the dead throughout the Liturgy.

Do you pray for the departed during the liturgy?

yep

Do you dedicate your Eucharist or office for them?

yep

Does the Divine Liturgy help both the living AND departed? Same with the Eucharist?

absolutely. since God is outside of time, it is never too late from His POV. if I pray for the soul anyone who is departed, Orthodox or not, God applies that prayer to the entire economy of that person's life, because He knew that I would pray that prayer before I prayed it.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
They can be commemorated during the liturgy, prayed for, remembered in the proskomedia, etc. But there is no concept of having a mass said for somebody or for some intention (and especially no idea of a private mass, but this is a slightly different matter). Further, there are other services for commemorating the departed and praying for them, the panikhida. Yes, we pray for the dead and our prayers are efficacious.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"Soul Saturdays" are a few specific Saturdays where the liturgy is specifically for the departed. There is also Radonitsa, the Tuesday that's 9 days after Pascha, where traditioanlly there is a liturgy and then a panikhida and then you go to the graveyard in memory (and I suppose proclaiming) of the resurrection.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
They can be commemorated during the liturgy, prayed for, remembered in the proskomedia, etc. But there is no concept of having a mass said for somebody or for some intention (and especially no idea of a private mass, but this is a slightly different matter). Further, there are other services for commemorating the departed and praying for them, the panikhida. Yes, we pray for the dead and our prayers are efficacious.

Thank You for your response!!! :)

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Does the Divine Liturgy help both the living AND departed? Same with the Eucharist?
)

This is correct. The Apostolic Constitutions specifically states that the 3rd day memorial should be celebrated with psalms, lessons and prayers, that the 9th day memorial is done on behalf of both the living and the dead, and alms be given for the poor out of the departed person's goods as a memorial to him.

Upvote 0