Does belief in the afterlife diminish man?

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is commonly asserted, especially among atheists, that belief in an afterlife cools one’s enthusiasms for this life on earth. This God-centered or theocentric view allegedly prevents human beings from truly being themselves and living up to their full potential. As a consequence, they fail to appreciate fully the richness and rewards of this world.

AvilaSurfer

Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟928,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is commonly asserted, especially among atheists, that belief in an afterlife cools one’s enthusiasms for this life on earth. This God-centered or theocentric view allegedly prevents human beings from truly being themselves and living up to their full potential. As a consequence, they fail to appreciate fully the richness and rewards of this world.

Huh? ".....cools one's enthusiasms..." Sorry atheists, it does just the opposite.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟64,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

If I may:

I believe that it may well do just that.

From the article
Orthodox Christianity teaches that there is continuity between this life and the next. A true Christian does not think of himself as someone standing at a bus stop and doing nothing more than waiting for the bus (that will take him to heaven). He understands that what he does in this life determines his reward in the next. If we are faithful to the commandment to love God, ourselves, and our neighbors, that love will secure our place in heaven.

This is both a statement for and against that statement. I would submit that while there is a continuity between this life and the next it is just that continuity this is used to justify just about every injustice known to man.

This, I think, is the view of people who claim that man is diminished by believe in an afterlife.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FriendlyJosh

Jan 12, 2011
✟11,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Do not love the world or anything in the world, if you love the world the love for The Father is not in you" John 2:15

I can't tell you how many crime related documentaries i've seen, where people are mindlessly killing each other, or doing other horrible things, all for what you ask? money, power, and other useless, saddening, ultimately unimportant things in this world...

Yes we need money to pay for bills etc...but it is in no way, shape, or form is it worth more than someones life nor is it anything other than a means to do things. It matters nothing compared to the Glory of God and His purpose for each individual.

So does believing in God diminish men and womens focus on things of this world? I sure hope so, because we're here for God, and my understanding is, what we do on this earth, the short time we're here, counts for all eternity. So hurting people or doing other evil things to acquire money, power etc...does nothing for anyone when we die. Nothing in a good way that is, but spending our time helping our fellow human being, clothing those who are naked, feeding those who are hungry, giving hope to those who have none(like people in jails), helping the sick, and the homeless, and of course giving all credit and praise to God for all our blessings and the ability to do any of this, ultimately doing The will of God, I'd imagine those things are truly beneficial for eternity.

I turned 26 this year, and I know I haven't done enough, I only pray I will before my time runs out and the things I do please The Lord in same way. Because His will is all that matters now and in the end.

Upvote 0