1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does belief in the afterlife diminish man?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    It is commonly asserted, especially among atheists, that belief in an afterlife cools one’s enthusiasms for this life on earth. This God-centered or theocentric view allegedly prevents human beings from truly being themselves and living up to their full potential. As a consequence, they fail to appreciate fully the richness and rewards of this world.

2. Stormy

Stormy Senior Contributor

Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    I suppose a mouse in the cage makes more of his life, than one that lives open and free?

3. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Leave the Gun. Take the Cannoli.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Huh? ".....cools one's enthusiasms..." Sorry atheists, it does just the opposite.

4. Michie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    What I thought as well.

5. Michie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Are you implying the Christian belief in the afterlife cages a person? ^_^

6. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    It diminishes man in that it should put his earthly life in perspective and make him more humble. A diminution that is IMO beneficial.

7. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie New Member

Faith:
    Catholic

If I may:

I believe that it may well do just that.

From the article
    This is both a statement for and against that statement. I would submit that while there is a continuity between this life and the next it is just that continuity this is used to justify just about every injustice known to man.

This, I think, is the view of people who claim that man is diminished by believe in an afterlife.

8. Stormy

Stormy Senior Contributor

Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian

Why would you jump to that conclusion?

Quite the opposite. I have never been more free.

9. Michie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    If the son sets you free, you are free indeed.

10. Genersis

Genersis Sorta Still Social Democratic.

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    UK-Greens
    Faith:
    Atheist
    I've never heard an atheist say such a thing.
    Though obviously, it rings true with certain specific beliefs for certain peoples, but i'd rather not drag this thread off topic.
    I wouldn't say "diminished" mind you.

11. FriendlyJosh

FriendlyJosh Newbie

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Christian
    "Do not love the world or anything in the world, if you love the world the love for The Father is not in you" John 2:15

I can't tell you how many crime related documentaries i've seen, where people are mindlessly killing each other, or doing other horrible things, all for what you ask? money, power, and other useless, saddening, ultimately unimportant things in this world...

Yes we need money to pay for bills etc...but it is in no way, shape, or form is it worth more than someones life nor is it anything other than a means to do things. It matters nothing compared to the Glory of God and His purpose for each individual.

So does believing in God diminish men and womens focus on things of this world? I sure hope so, because we're here for God, and my understanding is, what we do on this earth, the short time we're here, counts for all eternity. So hurting people or doing other evil things to acquire money, power etc...does nothing for anyone when we die. Nothing in a good way that is, but spending our time helping our fellow human being, clothing those who are naked, feeding those who are hungry, giving hope to those who have none(like people in jails), helping the sick, and the homeless, and of course giving all credit and praise to God for all our blessings and the ability to do any of this, ultimately doing The will of God, I'd imagine those things are truly beneficial for eternity.

I turned 26 this year, and I know I haven't done enough, I only pray I will before my time runs out and the things I do please The Lord in same way. Because His will is all that matters now and in the end.