• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does anyone on here suffer from Fibromyalgia?

Sailor Kenshin

More coffee!
May 14, 2012
Visit site
✟7,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I used to deal with symptoms that were related to Fibromyalgia. I am symptom free, so I do believe we do not have to accept the thought that there is no cure, or hope for that matter. I had to learn a lot to get me to place of healing, but the journey has been so awesome and beautiful seeking out my Father. For me it has been getting to a place of Truth, and the good thing is that Truth has been the same yesterday, today and always.

If you are interested, there is a physician that has had success treating chronic pain as as well as other symptoms. His name is John E Sarno, there is a message board to help as well.

He believes, as well as I do that many symptoms can be caused by fear, repressed emotions, thoughts, anger, etc. That was something that I did not want to believe or admit at first. It is amazing what all the bible has to say about health and healing, and I find that to be the most reliable. That living word when it is applied and acted out in our lives and what it does for the mind-body-spirit. Wish you all well and my prayer is that you come to a place of healing. It is not fun being plagued with chronic symptoms. The pain is definitely not all in our our heads, but very real.

I KNOW him! Thanks so much for the link!

Upvote 0
D

Dairy

I don't have Fibromyalgia, but have suffered for a number of years with different aches and pains due to another autoimmune disease. Looking at Dr. Sinatra's blog saw he had a nice write up on some ways to treat fibromyalgia. Thought to share.

The mention about earthing at the end of his article in particular interested me. I've been earthing or grounding of late, and have been surprised to find many pains going away.

"Treat Fibromyalgia with Heart Nutrients? Absolutely"

snippet from his article:

...In addition to nutrients, I also recommend Earthing for fibromyalgia. The Earth’s surface contains a limitless number of free electrons that are continually replenished through solar radiation and lightning strikes; your body naturally absorbs these particles when you make physical contact with the ground. In the body, these electrons have an anti-inflammatory effect because they reduce the free-radical activity that causes inflammation and chronic pain.

Now it’s your turn: Have you found a solution that helps fibromyalgia?

Read more: Treat Fibromyalgia with Heart Nutrients? Absolutely

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have been diagnosed with lupus and Ra but I'm thinking there's more. For as long as I can remember occasionally my skin will feel like there's needles poking me when anything touches me. I have not been able to move my leg tonight at all without intense pain and the "tingle" or whatever you want to call it. I'm crying and usually do at bedtime :( I'm so bummed and depressed. I have no idea what is wrong with this skin/muscle issue but I've had enough.

One of the really big problems is diagnosis. People go through years and doctors before diagnosis and the last study I saw said 1/3 of the people diagnosed with fibro didn't have it. Part of the problem is most docs can't perform the test properly. So they do blood work, if they find inflammation markers like they would with you, they stop because they have a diagnosis. If they can't figure anything out, they use fibro as a garbage can to put people.

Nothing, but nothing says you can't have RA and fibro.

One very simple diagnostic procedure they use in parts of Europe would help a lot. You use a blood pressure cuff. Pump it up and if you experience significant pain below 210, a pretty strong indicator of fibro. Many fibro people experience the pain at much lower levels, like 140 or 150. So when their blood pressure is taken the pain causes a spike in blood pressure and the doctor prescribes meds for blood pressure when they don't need them resulting in low blood pressure.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been dealing with fibromyalgia and neuropathy for maybe a decade. I'm a 61 year old male and I take a variety of medications for pain and anxiety. They control the symptoms well enough for me to continue working, and in another year I will retire. My plans are to do some traveling, writing, reading, and home projects. I've been considering relocating, leaving the heat of the tropics for a more comfortable climate. The summers are treacherous here in south Florida.

I am blessed with a female partner who is already retired. We have a dog and cat, and she has a full family with grandchildren who stay for days at a time. So, I'm able to give something of myself to the kids, although when bad days hit, my activities slow down, which all of my "family" understand.

As one who also suffers with IBS, herbal concoctions are not good for me, and diets that restrict me to hard-to-digest meals are out as well. It's a one-day-at-a-time lifestyle to which I've grown accustomed that, as I see it, contains only the miracle of love. We care in my "family" and are willing to give as we are able. Do we disagree? Sure, we do. Is there any anxiety, frustration, disappointment, depression, etc. that appears? You betcha. But, we have love, and that's worth all the alternative approaches to healing in my book.

Upvote 0

MeloMom

Aug 11, 2013
✟15,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, wow...the struggles that we go through. Reading the posts makes me very emotional. What a journey we go on! I have been ill for 3 years and just diagnosed with CFS and Fibro. I have been through thorough testing and they aren't able to pinpoint a cause...so although happy for diagnosis, it's like "that's great! Now what?!" It is nice to see people that are going through what you are, then you don't feel so alone......but to be honest, the one who gave me the diagnosis said "it's just a blanket dx, anyway!"..

Upvote 0

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟9,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone, wow...the struggles that we go through. Reading the posts makes me very emotional. What a journey we go on! I have been ill for 3 years and just diagnosed with CFS and Fibro. I have been through thorough testing and they aren't able to pinpoint a cause...so although happy for diagnosis, it's like "that's great! Now what?!" It is nice to see people that are going through what you are, then you don't feel so alone......but to be honest, the one who gave me the diagnosis said "it's just a blanket dx, anyway!"..

Well, officially it's Fibromyalgic Syndrome, it covers a variety of symptoms. Not everyone suffers from all of them. I don't believe it's a "blanket dx," it's a valid neurological condition. It's even recognized by Social Security as a disease qualifying for disability. Once problems with similar symptoms like lupus and RA have been eliminated, Fibromyalgia is the obvious diagnosis. There are still doctors who don't believe it's a real condition. I have to see a neurologist to get the medications I need.

I went through the "that's great! Now what?!" phase. It was great to find out that there was a name for my problems and that is wasn't "all in my head" like other doctors had suggested. Then I had to cope with the facts that not only don't they know what causes it, there's no hope of a cure, they can only treat the symptoms and it gets progressively worse with time. Now I have serious memory problems and the pain is crippling.

I found out after the fact that I had early-onset fibro. I wasn't diagnosed until my mid-twenties, in the 90s. It took an orthopedic doctor with a specialization in diseases of the muscles and connective tissues. My mother suffered from it, undiagnosed, for most of her life. Both my daughters have had it from an early age. They have seen first-hand what they can expect. It depresses me to know that I've passed this curse on to them.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised in a very, very dysfunctional family, but it wasn't until I was in my thirties that I heard the word "dysfunction." It seemed to be the exact word, containing all the madness that emerges when our family members were together. We no longer gather with one another.

I knew I had fibro for many years before I was finally diagnosed with it. The primary cause wasn't difficult to uncover, as I've been a pest mgmt. professional for 35 years, and handled all those chemicals that were once permitted but are now illegal to dispense, such as organophosphates and carbamates.

The dysfunction and inner turmoil of my childhood didn't help matters, I don't suppose, as they too have had an effect on my nerves, causing me PTSD with which I struggled for years. My childhood was a true horror story, absolutely saturated with madness.

Upvote 0

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟9,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in a very, very dysfunctional family, but it wasn't until I was in my thirties that I heard the word "dysfunction." It seemed to be the exact word, containing all the madness that emerges when our family members were together. We no longer gather with one another.

I knew I had fibro for many years before I was finally diagnosed with it. The primary cause wasn't difficult to uncover, as I've been a pest mgmt. professional for 35 years, and handled all those chemicals that were once permitted but are now illegal to dispense, such as organophosphates and carbamates.

The dysfunction and inner turmoil of my childhood didn't help matters, I don't suppose, as they too have had an effect on my nerves, causing me PTSD with which I struggled for years. My childhood was a true horror story, absolutely saturated with madness.

I am so sorry to hear about the horrible things you have dealt with!

:groupray:

I'm sorry to break it to you, I know how much easier it is to bear the pain when you have something to be able to point to and say, "this is the cause of my pain" but fibromyalgia seems to be a genetic condition, and appears to be passed through the mother. While your exposure to all those awful chemicals has probably aggravated your problems, it's not the root cause.

I very much hope that you can conquer your PTSD, I know it can take years of therapy to feel better and get past problems like the flashbacks and the night sweats. I will pray for you and for the strength you will need to overcome your struggles.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am so sorry to hear about the horrible things you have dealt with!

:groupray:

I'm sorry to break it to you, I know how much easier it is to bear the pain when you have something to be able to point to and say, "this is the cause of my pain" but fibromyalgia seems to be a genetic condition, and appears to be passed through the mother. While your exposure to all those awful chemicals has probably aggravated your problems, it's not the root cause.

I very much hope that you can conquer your PTSD, I know it can take years of therapy to feel better and get past problems like the flashbacks and the night sweats. I will pray for you and for the strength you will need to overcome your struggles.

Thanks SC. It is good to have a family in the Lord here who will intercede. God bless you. Pain levels are really tough to endure especially when they have a mind of their own. Minutes before a seminar or work conference it will rise up against me and almost lay me out, but I keep putting one foot in front of the other. Again, thanks. David

Upvote 0

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟9,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes, just going one step at a time is all we can ask for. The steps add up and before we know it, we've done what we had to. And I've noticed that the pain always seems to get worse at just the wrong time, when I have something important to do like go to my daughter's school or run errands. Of course, if it doesn't happen before, then it will be even worse afterward. And you are very welcome, David, and thank you for sharing your strength. Larii

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MeloMom

Aug 11, 2013
✟15,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok...I recently had a lot of blood work done- I noticed some of the inflammatory marker tests weren't even done! May I ask anyone who knows what the markers are? And, to make things more complicated- inflammation and Fibro are supposed to be completely diff disorders! I honestly believe I have inflammation and not Fibro...��appreciate your thoughts and enjoy the day!����

Upvote 0

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟9,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok...I recently had a lot of blood work done- I noticed some of the inflammatory marker tests weren't even done! May I ask anyone who knows what the markers are? And, to make things more complicated- inflammation and Fibro are supposed to be completely diff disorders! I honestly believe I have inflammation and not Fibro...��appreciate your thoughts and enjoy the day!����

You can have both an inflammatory condition and fibromyalgia, and to further complicate matters, fibro also causes inflammation. The root cause of the pain associated with fibro is misfiring nerves. These send pain signals to the brain that tell you that you feel pain, even though there isn't a physical cause for pain. The body's response to this is for the muscles to tense up and this causes more pain and inflammation. Standard medications for fibro include anti-inflammatories.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've not been here for a while---SquareC is right. We are always looking for some other thing that we might have instead of fibro! And that is good, sometimes it is something else, or something else in addition to fibro. One of the ways to diagnose Fibro, is to test for everything else that our symptoms might be--if everything can be eliminated, then they diagnose firbo, providing you also have the tender points, at least 11 of them. A lot of us also have high WBC counts, which is an indication of infection. Mine have been 10-12.7. I've seen an endocrinologist--he's just watching me, my WBC has been this way for 15 years.

Upvote 0

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟9,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've not been here for a while---SquareC is right. We are always looking for some other thing that we might have instead of fibro! And that is good, sometimes it is something else, or something else in addition to fibro. One of the ways to diagnose Fibro, is to test for everything else that our symptoms might be--if everything can be eliminated, then they diagnose firbo, providing you also have the tender points, at least 11 of them. A lot of us also have high WBC counts, which is an indication of infection. Mine have been 10-12.7. I've seen an endocrinologist--he's just watching me, my WBC has been this way for 15 years.

Thank you for reminding me, I should have mentioned the tender points. It is important to eliminate things like RA and Lupus through testing, but the tender point test is more significant than most people realize. With some of those points, other people don't register anything unusual. I tested at 13 of the points. I haven't had my WBC tested, perhaps I should.

Upvote 0

MeloMom

Aug 11, 2013
✟15,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow this gets very complicated! Well my WBC is supposed to be normal. Had a lot of blood testing they can't find anything...Frustrating. Checked for all that incl rheum. To no avail...but- a test from natropath showed all kinds of things incl inflammation, mold, parasites, deficiencies, etc!!! Some say blood tests not reliable-the symptoms are...I am a complicated case...��

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MeloMom

Aug 11, 2013
✟15,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Completely true, Emilie! Yet do not ignore facts- they are not truth but still facts that must be contended with. God isn't a Cracker Jack box. POOF! It takes time and the Spirit of God that does the work. Confession is useless without the power if the Holy Spirit behind it. I come from the same school of thought as you but be careful in your presentation.

Upvote 0

MeloMom

Aug 11, 2013
✟15,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Emilie, I see no compassion in your answer. Do you have it ever had a frustrating, debilitating, chronic illness that there was no natural cure for? Don't ever judge a person until you are in their shoes. Positive thinking isn't faith. Don't bother responding I won't reply to your judgemental reply.

Upvote 0

emilie mayer

Jun 22, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes i suffer myself. I do have compassion for people with chronic pain. But you accused me of making God a cracker jack box. I dont know anyone who truly loves the Lord that woudnt take offense to that. You offended me. My response was to take your eyes off the storm and focus on Jesus. Being positive and knowing God is in control and will take care of our problems is faith sweetie. You are telling me not to judge but you did that with me. I was trying to uplift you and encourage you to focus on our Heavenly Father. If your situation is chronic than only the Lord can help you anyway.

Upvote 0