Does a person's political beliefs play a factor in your desirability for him/her?

Tess

Not a tame Lion
Jan 12, 2015
England
✟10,899.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Somewhat, I suppose.

On the one hand, I like a good debate, and I don't think differences in opinion are a big problem in a relationship. After all, we won't expect our partner to agree with us on everything.

On the other hand, if a debate leads to a genuine argument I think that would be a problem.

So I guess it probably depends how big the differences are and how passionate we are about them?

Reactions: MiniEmu
Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
For me it boils down to Core values. I don't expect that she agree with every single minutiae of details, but if we've got major differences in philosophies, it will not work.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes and no. It ultimately comes down to individual issues and how passionate each of us are, and how well we can remain civil in disagreements. I don't really expect to fully agree on every little detail, but it's definitely better if we agree on general ideas.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me it boils down to Core values. I don't expect that she agree with every single minutiae of details, but if we've got major differences in philosophies, it will not work.

I think personal values spill over into political values since it's the same person who holds both of them and one would influence the other. If her political values clashed with mine, then I imagine our personal values would clash as well.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I think personal values spill over into political values since it's the same person who holds both of them and one would influence the other. If her political values clashed with mine, then I imagine our personal values would clash as well.

Yes, that's exactly how I see it as well.

Upvote 0

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
^

I could never be with a SJW either. :p

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Generally it doesn't matter to me, providing we can have a nice discussion about it.
It would really depend on what their priorities were, and their ability to take into account differing opinions.

Actually, if they couldn't separate personal convictions from political views I may have a slight issue. There are lots of things I, personally, value which may/may not be reflected by the policies of the political parties I associate with. If they take my political leanings to identify my personal convictions, I may be left a little confused.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Pretty much this. I'm okay with disagreeing on some stuff, but there are those certain things that I couldn't get past and it wouldn't work between us. A couple of the things would actually play into the marriage/relationship, so if we couldn't agree than marrying wouldn't be an option. I can remain on good, civil terms with you. But I couldn't be...you know...their lover, if you will.

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GQ Chris

Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Er...what do you mean by serious committed relationship?

You know, if I were to take a drink from my glass bottle of Mexican Coca Cola, she wouldn't mind drinking out of the same exact bottle. Serious relationship

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
You know, if I were to take a drink from my glass bottle of Mexican Coca Cola, she wouldn't mind drinking out of the same exact bottle. Serious relationship

I love Mexican Coke.

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0