Does a GLOBAL FLOOD truly seem like the BEST explanation for seashells on mountains? (2)

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
actually the burden of proof lies in the defence, now that an argument has been made. The jury awaits.

LOL, the burden of proof lies with who is making the assertion. Always.

that would be an ad hominem, attack on character and not the evidence of what was said.

You should read again what he said. The critique on the evidence, not the person.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
That would be grammar. And the papers have no substance to avoid.
I must admit that I wouldn't know whether at some point the papers get some substance. I didn't encounter any, but I didn't read the whole paper. I might try again this weekend.

I will say that one of the characteristics of a good scientific article (and that is what was claimed these were) contains a concise, accurate and dispassionate summary of the research up to that point in the introduction. The introduction of the article I read was had none of those characteristics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I started reading the second of his 10 "censored" papers in my lunch break. Really couldn't get through it, gave up after the first two pages. The first two pages are basically self-congratulatory whine fests with no substance whatsoever. Really, if I dared to send something like that to my supervisor I'd get a strong reprimand from him. If I continued, I don't think I'd ever get my PhD, unless I'd find a different professor who revels in self-congratulatory whine fests.

edited to add: Seriously, read one of those articles, the writing is really, really, really crappy.

edited because I can't get over how crappy: yes, really, extremely, horribly crappy.

I read the abstract of the first. It was more polemic than abstract and had details (intended to impress I'm sure) that do not belong in an abstract.

Half the titles are enough to raise red flags on their own.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree, I say that Bigfoot, the Lock Ness monster and the tooth fairy all exist, unless you can prove that they don't,
the jury awaits.
What does your brother say?

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does your brother say?

If he is a scientist, he will say something along these lines: "there is as much evidence supporting the existence of these creatures as there is supporting Thor or a global flood".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If he is a scientist, he will say something along these lines: "there is as much evidence supporting the existence of these creatures as there is supporting Thor or a global flood".
Then it looks like ET is being selective in even what his brother says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟929,495.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
actually the burden of proof lies in the defence, now that an argument has been made. The jury awaits.

We're not in a courtroom. As for the jury -- Wasn't Gerrity's "science" already reviewed by a "jury" of his peers... and found wanting?

that would be an ad hominem, attack on character and not the evidence of what was said.

What was said demonstrates a complete lack of evidence, and Gerrity has repeatedly demonstrated a complete lack of character.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by TLK Valentine

The Institution rejects lots of papers -- did they mention why?

No less blind than rejecting it as biased without investigation.

There is no scientific evidence for creationism -- Gentry's "evidence" consists of so much whining that even other creationists are getting sick of him.
Originally Posted by Tomk80 I started reading the second of his 10 "censored" papers in my lunch break.
Really couldn't get through it, gave up after the first two pages. The first two pages are basically self-congratulatory whine fests with no substance whatsoever. Really, if I dared to send something like that to my supervisor I'd get a strong reprimand from him. If I continued, I don't think I'd ever get my PhD, unless I'd find a different professor who revels in self-congratulatory whine fests.

edited to add: Seriously, read one of those articles, the writing is really, really, really crappy.

edited because I can't get over how crappy: yes, really, extremely, horribly crappy.
logical fallacies are in question in your reply, mainly a red herring. To avoid the topic of substance for grammer.
I have no idea what you just said, but, it sounds interesting....

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

Search Multiple Dictionaries (including Easton's Bible Dictionary) :

Grammer | Define Grammer at Dictionary.com

grammer

- no dictionary results

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Interesting. A theory from the 1930's. I always thought Moses was supposed to have written the Pentateuch without some other primary source according to many variants of Judaism and Christianity but this is the first I'd heard that he only compiled them based on "tablets" handed down.

I especially LOVE Wolf's doubt that Moses would have been able to read a Pre-Tower-of-Babel tablet. So much for "confounding their languages", eh?

LOL!

Pretty clever to imagine things like tablets handed down through the generations.

It sounds like this "hypothesis" is still very much in debate and is rather outside of the usual schools of the "Documentary Hypothesis" or the "Mosaic Authorship" hypothesis.

So can I ask why the Tablet Hypothesis appeals to you? Do you have a reason to believe in hypothetical tablets? Or is this more stuff like the Bethelehem Star Hologram that is added onto the Bible? Are the tablets mentioned in the Bible?

Upvote 0