Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Love eating burgers off the grill? You’ll want to read this.

Connecticut resident Cheryl Harrison was rushed to the emergency room with extreme stomach pain two days after eating a grilled burger. At the hospital, doctors discovered that she had a thin, inch-long piece of metal from a grill brush in her intestine, which they had to remove via emergency surgery.

“Obviously, if it was in my mouth and I bit it, I wouldn’t have swallowed it,” Harrison told Connecticut’s News 8. “It must have been positioned in that burger just perfect, and I ingested it and swallowed it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/health/doctors-issue-warning-about-cleaning-grills-with-120029534272.html

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love eating burgers off the grill? You’ll want to read this.

Connecticut resident Cheryl Harrison was rushed to the emergency room with extreme stomach pain two days after eating a grilled burger. At the hospital, doctors discovered that she had a thin, inch-long piece of metal from a grill brush in her intestine, which they had to remove via emergency surgery.

“Obviously, if it was in my mouth and I bit it, I wouldn’t have swallowed it,” Harrison told Connecticut’s News 8. “It must have been positioned in that burger just perfect, and I ingested it and swallowed it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/health/doctors-issue-warning-about-cleaning-grills-with-120029534272.html

I grill and bar b que a lot. A wire brush will certainly get your grill clean, but the only reason you should need one in the first place is if you don't oil your grate and keep your grill properly cleaned after each use. Many people don't, which I don't understand.

You wouldn't put a skillet back in the drawer without cleaning it. So why wouldn't you clean your grill grate?

If you have burnt on food, a better way to clean your grate is to take a piece of used aluminum foil (if what you're grilling is wrapped in foil, just save that to clean with), crumple it up so the outside is facing out, and rub it down with that. Then, soapy water should clean it easily, just like you would if you were washing dished.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I had a grill, I used to worry about this all the time.

I grill and bar b que a lot. A wire brush will certainly get your grill clean, but the only reason you should need one in the first place is if you don't oil your grate and keep your grill properly cleaned after each use. Many people don't, which I don't understand.

You wouldn't put a skillet back in the drawer without cleaning it. So why wouldn't you clean your grill grate?

If you have burnt on food, a better way to clean your grate is to take a piece of used aluminum foil (if what you're grilling is wrapped in foil, just save that to clean with), crumple it up so the outside is facing out, and rub it down with that. Then, soapy water should clean it easily, just like you would if you were washing dished.

Dude, I don't get people. When I had a grill, I would usually have it on pretty high, so it would often clean itself, but my then-roommate (who owned the grill) would do steak tips covered in bbq sauce and have the grill on low. He'd pull them off and leave the grill covered with a sticky mess. I'm kind of amazed we didn't have ants or something living in there.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saw the news ads for this "Danger Report" (you know "News at 11, how using a wire brush can Kill you" ) and figured it was someone didn't clean the grill properly.

Wire brushes have been around for a long time and I've known that if you don't clean properly you can end up with stuff stuck, but why not just clean the grill properly? Even public grills, you know you need to clean them before use.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

A few scrapes with the hamburger spatula will clean the grill right up. :eek:

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I guess I'm the only person who would use a wire brush and THEN use a dish rag with soap and water...

Anyways, not sure that a national state of emergency is warranted here. Millions of people grill weekly and millions use wire brushes. If this were a real problem then this story would occur by the thousands on a weekly basis.

*shrug*.

Just a fluke accident.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like to use Dobie pads for most of my scrubbing, I also love George Foreman grills.

Dobie-by-Scotch-Brite-300x224.jpg

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I use a notched grill scraper, then wire brush it, wipe it down with a paper towel, then burn it off and spray it down with non-stick oil, and I'm still alive to tell the tale, mates!

Upvote 0