Do you think when people are dying they can see the other side?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I went to the Nursing Home today. I was just there Monday to do the usual. Today I went because I got overloaded with magazines & decided to bring them in early.

Last Monday one of the women I see was saying she was leaving on a lear jet for Heaven that evening. It upset her daughter & both the nurse & myself said it is better to just go along with it. Emogene is as sharp as a tack but she has gone downhill mentally here in the past 6 weeks or so.

So that was that & I went home.

Today while dropping off the reading material I talked to another resident I see & I asked about Emogene.

She told me she went into check on her Tuesday & Emogene was saying she spent most of the night in Heaven & asked why she did not come. (Dorothy & Emogene have been lifelong friends).

Dorothy preceeded to tell me that Emogene told her her husband Joe was there, saw other various people & again asked why she did not come. Dorothy said the Lord did not want her yet. I could tell she was a little disturbed by all of this.

I've noticed my time there & when I worked in these types of enviroments that occasionally people will claim this sort of thing. See loved ones, etc. I once had a lady tell me she saw my father that had been killed when I was a child.

So my question is this: Do you think that God lifts the veil a bit as we are starting to let go of this world?

Have any of you had any experiences with this type of thing & loved ones?

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So I went to the Nursing Home today. I was just there Monday to do the usual. Today I went because I got overloaded with magazines & decided to bring them in early.

Last Monday one of the women I see was saying she was leaving on a lear jet for Heaven that evening. It upset her daughter & both the nurse & myself said it is better to just go along with it. Emogene is as sharp as a tack but she has gone downhill mentally here in the past 6 weeks or so.

Today while dropping off the reading material I talked to another resident I see & I asked about Emogene.

She told me she went into check on her Tuesday & Emogene was saying she spent most of the night in Heaven & asked why she did not come. (Dorothy & Emogene have been lifelong friends).

Dorothy preceeded to tell me that Emogene told her her husband Joe was there, saw other various people & again asked why she did not come. Dorothy said the Lord did not want her yet. I could tell she was a little disturbed by all of this.

I've noticed my time there & when I worked in these types of enviroments that occasionally people will claim this sort of thing. See loved ones, etc. I once had a lady tell me she saw my father that had been killed when I was a child.

So my question is this: Do you think that God lifts the veil a bit as we are starting to let go of this world?

I do. My step mom said when her mother was dying that she had a dream and it was her dad who died years before, he said to her in the dream, "I come to take Momma home..." and she woke up and her mother died.

I have never experienced any thing like it, however when my grandmother died (I was only 18) she was in the hospital and was out of it for the most part, she didn't talk to anyone, showed no interest in anything, etc. On the morning she died, the nurses told me she sat up in the bed, put the TV on and had a small conversation about her great grand child that was in the picture that was in her room and then a few minutes later, she died.

So... I think the Lord makes you aware.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do. My step mom said when her mother was dying that she had a dream and it was her dad who died years before, he said to her in the dream, "I come to take Momma home..." and she woke up and her mother died.

I have never experienced any thing like it, however when my grandmother died (I was only 18) she was in the hospital and was out of it for the most part, she didn't talk to anyone, showed no interest in anything, etc. On the morning she died, the nurses told me she sat up in the bed, put the TV on and had a small conversation about her great grand child that was in the picture that was in her room and then a few minutes later, she died.

So... I think the Lord makes you aware.
It has got me curious. I'm thinking it is a merciful thing not only for the person leaving, but family & friends. Dorothy though, seemed disturbed by it.

I'm thinking Emogene will not be here much longer.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My mother was dying at the same time her father was in the hospital. In fact they were across the hall from each other in the hospital. My grandmother...fearing knowing that each other was sick would cause more harm did not tell them the other was there. My mom knew though, she would tell us to go across the hall and see pop. Then she'd wink. Pop was in a bad way and did not know.

Mom died. My grandmother could not bring herself to tell my grandfather when he came home. He had had his last stroke and could not recognize many people or tell the span of time. So she thought that it would be ok. He was slipping away and was home to die while we took care of him.

We had taken care of him paralyzed at home for many years after his first stroke (my grandmother said it was until death, not until sick and she would take care of him at home, not a nursing home). During that time since the first stroke mom visited every day for 7 years. So now, when he came home after the last one..even though he could not tell anything else or knew the day or time he asked every day where she was. Near the end he said she was going to come to see him and would be happy. Then he'd become distant and confused again.

Soon it was time. My sister and I lived with gram and helped since mom died; we were ten and dad worked two mining jobs so it was best. I was shocked once at school that other ten year olds could not change an oxygen tank. The day he died, my sister was walking by the bed and we were in the next room. He was breathing badly and we all kind knew what the day was going to bring; we'd heard that sound before. I came in from the next room.

She stopped by the right side of his bed and asked if he needed anything...he sat up and looked directly at the bottom of the bed where no one was. He became totally cogent and calm. He could not sit up because he was paralyzed. But he did. Looked at the bottom of the bed and smiled wide and said "Joyce (my moms name) there you are."

And sat back and died. I don't doubt she was sent for him to give him comfort in his last moments on earth. And that in his suffering the days before he could sense and glimpse the peace of heaven at moment through God's will.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That reminds me of a story my mother told me about her grandmother dying. She was asleep in bed & woke up. She saw her grandmother standing at the end of the bed. She told her she was going to heaven & for her to stay sweet. Mom had no idea her grandmother had passed but got the call the next day.

It confuses me how some seem to experience these things while others do not.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It confuses me how some seem to experience these things while others do not.

yep.

Like my step mom... she sits with dying ppl and is always telling me stories.

After my Dad died, she was sitting out doors and said she was talking to him saying... "Rich, is it as nice as we always said it was going to be?" (referring to heaven) and she said a huge gust of wind blew at that moment- and she got chills.

I told her, stuff like that never happens to me.

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I hope so. :)

My great-grandma was always talking about her uncles and aunts and cousins and brothers and sisters and parents before she died. She didn't speak much English, but I remember my dad said that she would just constantly talk about them.

This is a little different, but a few weeks after my grandpa died, my grandma woke up one morning because he came into her room and woke her up with a big smile on his face. Apparently she had felt bad the whole time because he had died by himself and she thought she let him down. I was with her that day (she was going through chemo) and there is no doubt she experienced it. She was all lit up and she just knew he wasn't mad at her anymore.

So, yeah. I hope so. Goodness knows I'll need it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

God dose as He pleases.

Pray and trust in God.

Upvote 0

Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is certainly a nice thought, but I remain hesitant, if only because everyone always seems to go to heaven and see all of their loved ones there. You don't hear stories of anyone ever seeing hell before them.

Or Purgatory.

Upvote 0

Rao

Candlecaster
Sep 24, 2009
✟7,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't so much believe in these stories, but I certainly hope that they are true, how couldn't I? :thumbsup:

It is certainly a nice thought, but I remain hesitant, if only because everyone always seems to go to heaven and see all of their loved ones there. You don't hear stories of anyone ever seeing hell before them.

Good point... More hope? :p I remember tho an Italian TV presenter of the past, telling that he was once into a near-death experience after surgery, and saw the classic tunnel with light at the end, but being stopped before the end by a man who told him he wasn't ready for heaven and that one way to atone (about what I don't remember) was to do some research work and then TV presentation about the deaths of young people due to a specific cause (again I don't remember: car accidents? drugs? possibly related to something the TV presenter was guilty of?). He then survived, and recognized the man in the dream as someone who lived nearby him in the past, did some research and found that not only the man had died, but his son had died of exactly the cause mentioned by him in the dream.

But you know, our mind works behind our back... he might have accidentally heard of all this and not pay attention, apparently erased from memory. We might project our own hopes into visions when under the extreme circumstances of terminal illness, and see beloved departed ones comforting us with promises of heaven, but it might all be just our own mind trying to comfort us when there's nothing else to hope within our ending life. We just don't know... but it's good to share these stories and hopes with each other :groupray:

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I hope so. :)

My great-grandma was always talking about her uncles and aunts and cousins and brothers and sisters and parents before she died. She didn't speak much English, but I remember my dad said that she would just constantly talk about them.

This is a little different, but a few weeks after my grandpa died, my grandma woke up one morning because he came into her room and woke her up with a big smile on his face. Apparently she had felt bad the whole time because he had died by himself and she thought she let him down. I was with her that day (she was going through chemo) and there is no doubt she experienced it. She was all lit up and she just knew he wasn't mad at her anymore.

So, yeah. I hope so. Goodness knows I'll need it...
My mother in law had said that... that the dead will let you know they are okay...

I dunno... never happened to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

and that does leave me hesitant for that reason. But these ppl do experience this as well... so.

Maybe there is a grace allowed by God. The ppl don't have to be in heaven to 'visit'. they cab be in purgatory. Many souls do appear to folks because they want prayers said for them.

and as far as ppl in hell- they have been known to contact the living to let them know not to pray for them.

It all happens according to God... if He allows it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, they are out there. Wide range of stories in protestant circles. Saints had visions of Hell on the Catholic side.

A priest on EWTN had a scary experience also.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I firmly believe this and yes my Grandmother did the same thing while she was close to the end of life.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I firmly believe this and yes my Grandmother did the same thing while she was close to the end of life.
Did she see family & friends. Claim out of body type experiences?

Upvote 0