Do you think recreational sex is permitted or not?

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
A thought provoking post on sex in Dalrock's blog.

Like a rutting buck.

I think the author tend to support recreational sex which not to conceive a child.

".... This isn’t cold sex only to conceive a child, or mere duty sex. It also isn’t a picture of sex “purified” by romantic love. This is sex with great physical passion. ...."

What is your opinion about recreational sex? Do you support it or not?

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Like a rutting buck.

I think the author tend to support recreational sex which not to conceive a child.

".... This isn’t cold sex only to conceive a child, or mere duty sex. It also isn’t a picture of sex “purified” by romantic love. This is sex with great physical passion. ...."

I don't think he's supporting recreational sex. His post is supporting animal-like sex between married couples, and he is saying that "romantic love" is a lie, and a sin of idolatry. Basically he is saying men and women should approach one another as animals, and that "romantic love" is sinful.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Forbidden by God for His followers. And it has mental and emotional consequences even without unwanted pregnancies or sexual transmitted diseased or scandals.

AyeAyeCaptainJack said:
presumably from the reference blog... said:
There's a mistake in thinking here. The writer categorizes all sex ending in a child as "cold sex"; and all sex "purified" by romantic love as passionless and by implication, not much fun.

This is a rather common secular view. It has been around, expressed better and worse, for centuries; possibly millennia. This idea probably gave rise to prostitution on the basis of a man wanting "... a little fun..." and this meant excluding his wife.

The reality is sex is fun. The only place marriage is a bar to enjoyable sex is current television and movies; one simply has to have relations with anyone and everyone in order to be 'happy'. However, sex with the same person over time does require commitment, love and a bit of practice - work - to remain fulfilling instead of merely 'fun'. Perhaps this idea of 'fulfillment' is what escapes the attention of the writer.

As a Christian, it is forbidden and out of the question. As a non-Christian, it causes psychological and emotional problems for all involved, not to mention various physical 'inconveniences'.

Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think he's supporting recreational sex. His post is supporting animal-like sex between married couples, and he is saying that "romantic love" is a lie, and a sin of idolatry. Basically he is saying men and women should approach one another as animals, and that "romantic love" is sinful.

I am a long time reader of Dalrock's blog.

He believes romantic love does not exist.
Romantic love is a lie, not sinful.

Why do you think "animal-like sex" in marriage is illegal?

We are essentially animals, mammals to be precise, but wired with intellect and a sense of morality.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a long time reader of Dalrock's blog.

He calls it "idolatry" right on his blog. He clearly thinks it's sinful if he's calling it idolatry, unless he thinks idolatry isn't sinful.

Quote: However, the idea that romantic love is purifying is not biblical, and comes from the medieval concept of courtly love, an idolization of adultery. The link leads to another article which doesn't support that he considers romantic love a "lie" at all, but idolatry and adultery (which to my mind is "going off the rails" of condemnation: not just going off the rails, but through the air, 500 yards, end over end, to smash into a gas-station, exploding in a fireball of concussive force able to be felt by schoolchildren a mile away, as they look up from their classroom assignment in perplexity)

Why do you think "animal-like sex" in marriage is illegal?

I didn't claim it was. I've got nothing at all against the concept. I have nothing at all against the concept of "romance", either: though I'll state that I'm far more appreciative of the latter than the former; the latter being a product of genuine emotion, the former a product of pure carnality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Move it move it thread.jpg

MOVED from MESSIANIC JUDAISM
TO
GENERAL THEOLOGY​

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We are essentially animals, mammals to be precise, but wired with intellect and a sense of morality.
We are "made in the image and likeness of God". The animals are not.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Then he's wrong. In healthy normal humans, and even in animals, the act of sex, among a few activities, releases a hormone called oxytocin, which, among other things, promotes the emotion of love. It's not overpowering, and a person can deny it, but it's definitely there. Romantic love does exist. God physically made it a component of healthy sex. It serves the purpose of holding families together. It encourages members to take care of each other.

As for the question of recreational sex, which I assume refers to the act of sex without the intent of reproduction, I think that the Bible is clear on the idea that spouses have a duty to have sex with each other, if for no other reason than to avoid tempting the other into adultery. Apart from the act of reproduction, there is an honest view that it will be done for the sake of pleasure. This much appears to be assumed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What does image and likeness mean exactly, besides knowing good and evil?
The ability to reason and a soul. [Which embodies the intelligence]
Animals have spirits, humans have souls which necessitate judgment.
Humans are rational beings with choices of behavior.
Animals are fully instinctual.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The ability to reason and a soul. [Which embodies the intelligence]
Animals have spirits, humans have souls which necessitate judgment.
Humans are rational beings with choices of behavior.
Animals are fully instinctual.

Are angels made in God's image?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Are angels made in God's image?
Angels do not 'know' good and bad and are not judged as we are.
Remember satan said to Eve, we would be like God - and thus know good from bad.
Thats not to say they cannot rebuke the love of God. That doesnt mean they are incapable of choosing to go bad.... but once they do, they cannot be redeemed.
They are a higher being than humans, and have much greater knowledge.
However; they are fully without sin.
They do not understand the grace of God... as we do.
ALL Beings are created from God and all have hierarchy of existence.
Man's is not lowest [see animals] - but we are lower than angels and if I do not err - angels have a hierarchy [and purpose] as well.
Man being lower than angels can be redeemed.
WE have a soul that is judged on the knowledge of good and bad and what we do with it.

Angels if they rebel - are doomed eternally.
They do not have temptations [since the source of which are the fallen angels who once had everything].

NOW - why did the angels fall?
Being in complete and utter love and having such powers - they - as satan did - may allow their very selves to be corrupted. By having so very much and NOT being God Himself [who is and always will be untouched by sin since it is contrary to Himself] and they being outside of God can indeed fall short of His Permanent state of Being THE Perfect Goodness.

Mankind was created differently than angels and tested.
Though they did fail, God granted them a period of separation from Him to choose good or evil.
Free will was given to humanity.
Angels do not have free will, because they have so much more.
And being without free will, they cannot be repentant.
Once they who had the fullness of God's Essence and love and throw it away - they are immediately the complete opposite of God.
And pride being their biggest fault - cannot return to God.
Once out of His Presence - the evil is to it's fullest.
Hence hell is all evil thousands fold.
Those there are not in God's Presence nor can they have the grace of God.
For it is Grace that fills us with good during our separation from God. It carries us and we are free to choose to keep it.

Make sense?

OR...
God knows good and bad. For He knows everything and everything outside of good, is known to God and cannot be near Him. For His Presence destroys anything that has it within itself via separation from HiS Goodness.
Angels know 'of' good and bad. Angels are not judged on merit but immediately away from God.
Man is judged on the good and bad they do.
For humans were made as such that if they were to fail the test, God would see to it He wouldnt abandon them....yet separate them and fill them with His graces so they could choose to do good vs bad.

Upvote 0