Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
no, I no longer fall short of the glory of God because I am no longer a slave to sin. Do I still commit random acts of sin? Sure, but I am no longer living a sinful lifestyle.

nasb
1Co 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1Co 6:10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 6:11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Notice the past tense of verse 11. I was a drunk fornicator, now I am a saint, who makes occassional mistakes. That does not mean that I lose my right standing with God. Christ has already taken care of that, now I pray that I live a life that brings Him honor and glory and is worthy of His name.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
no, I no longer fall short of the glory of God because I am no longer a slave to sin. Do I still commit random acts of sin? Sure, but I am no longer living a sinful lifestyle.

nasb
1Co 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1Co 6:10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 6:11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Notice the past tense of verse 11. I was a drunk fornicator, now I am a saint, who makes occassional mistakes. That does not mean that I lose my right standing with God. Christ has already taken care of that, now I pray that I live a life that brings Him honor and glory and is worthy of His name.
If you sin...even if it is random my friend then you fall short of the glory of God.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on whose ruler you use.

No, I don’t sin if one defines sin as willful disobedience to God.

Yes, If you define it as making a mistake or being imperfect.

(Jesus was a sinner if you measured him with the Pharisee’s ruler.)

God’s standard is perfection, I am not perfect, My perfection however is not mine, It is Christ’s

In Him I am perfect, sinless, and blameless, He died in my place to procure this righteousness for me. I have been in this state with access to my Dad’s lap since I accepted Christ. It is a free gift. I didn’t earn it and I’m not to make payments to maintain it.

I myself, and others as well have attempted to beat me up and drive me to attempt to be perfect as well. I realize now that I can rest from that. It was counterproductive. My attempts only cast stumbling blocks between me and God.

Now, whatever I do is a response to His love, not a responsibility to achieve it. Strangely I find that now I live a lot more righteously then when I was striving to be righteous.

John O.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God’s standard is perfection, I am not perfect, My perfection however is not mine, It is Christ’s

In Him I am perfect, sinless, and blameless, He died in my place to procure this righteousness for me. I have been in this state with access to my Dad’s lap since I accepted Christ. It is a free gift. I didn’t earn it and I’m not to make payments to maintain it.

I myself, and others as well have attempted to beat me up and drive me to attempt to be perfect as well. I realize now that I can rest from that. It was counterproductive. My attempts only cast stumbling blocks between me and God.

Now, whatever I do is a response to His love, not a responsibility to achieve it. Strangely I find that now I live a lot more righteously then when I was striving to be righteous.

John O.
You know John...sometimes I think I post these questions just so I can have the pleasure of reading your responses. :)

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wish mine was random. Normally, it's perfectly intentional and I know it. So when does that stage of Christianity come???

Last edited:
Reactions: GrapeGirl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

John O.

Good answer John. :papapa:We are perfect in Gods eyes. :sohappy:
We're just being made holy.

Hbr 10:14 because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

I just love these new smiles. :D

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I sin.

I wish I wouldn't, but despite all my efforts, I still do. I have good stretches and then BOOM...I commit a sin.

It's a good thing my salvation does not depend on my efforts, because if it did, I'm toast.

Gives me new insight to Paul's claim to be the chief of sinners.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know John...sometimes I think I post these questions just so I can have the pleasure of reading your responses. :)

You are too kind....

If I was really smart I'd figured this out 40 years agao.

John O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I sin.

I wish I wouldn't, but despite all my efforts, I still do. I have good stretches and then BOOM...I commit a sin.

It's a good thing my salvation does not depend on my efforts, because if it did, I'm toast.

Gives me new insight to Paul's claim to be the chief of sinners.

Honestly brother...even though I feel the same way as you, I think Paul was saying that we should no longer struggle with the flesh in the sense that we struggle with it. At least that is the impression I get from Romans 7 and 8.

However I also find that Paul was not really judgmental against those who struggled with the flesh, but was harsh against those who were not compassionate towards others. Even the man he had kicked out of the church in Corinth...he says later in 2nd Corinthians that the reason he did it really was not for the man's benefit, but for the benefit of the church body at Corinth and then he encouraged them to restore him back to the fold.

I find Jesus in Scripture was the same way. He was comapssionate to the sinners who admitted they did not keep the law and hard against the legalists who took pride that they kept the law, but really didn't.

It's the same way today.

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

Last edited:
Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly brother...even though I feel the same way as you, I think Paul was saying that we should no longer struggle with the flesh in the sense that we struggle with it. At least that is the impression I get from Romans 7 and 8.

However I also find that Paul was not really judgmental against those who struggled with the flesh, but was harsh against those who were not compassionate towards others. Even the man he had kicked out of the church in Corinth...he says later in 2nd Corinthians that the reason he did it really was not for the man's benefit, but for the benefit of the church body at Corinth and then he encouraged them to restore him back to the fold.

I find Jesus in Scripture was the same way. He was comapssionate to the sinners who admitted they did not keep the law and hard against the legalists who took pride that they kept the law, but really didn't.

It's the same way today.

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

Thanks.

If you ever find out the trick to not struggling anymore with sin, please share it with me. Even though I try, I still fail.

You're spot on though, that it makes me humble. I also find that I tend to sin just after I start thinking I'm doing good, and not sinning. :doh:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.