Do you have to become a member in the church you are baptized?

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

I got baptized tonight, but not in my home church. I felt great conviction to get baptized so I went through with it.

My question is that one of my previous Pastors told me that you are to become a member in the church you were baptized in for accountability purposes (Which makes sense) and in the bible it talks about people being baptized publicly and then adding to the church number. So although I like the church I got baptized in it is not my home church, but I would prefer to stay at my home church unless we are called to stay in the church which baptized us. I was originally supposed to be baptized on the 1st of November at my home church, but I am going to see if I can just give a testimony instead since I've been baptized now. anyways thanks for the help

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, you aren't. Usually baptism is required for membership. Once a member, you can 'move your letter of membership to another church.
I was baptised in another church because our church did not have a baptistry but became a member of my home church. My best advice is to talk to your pastor about it.

Reactions: Allen1901
Upvote 0

Lazerboy

Lutheristic Baptist
Jul 25, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
✟15,254.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My question is that one of my previous Pastors told me that you are to become a member in the church you were baptized in for accountability purposes (Which makes sense) and in the bible it talks about people being baptized publicly and then adding to the church number.

As I recall, to be a member of our church you first need to be baptized by immersion in any Christian church (need not even be Baptist), and then speak to our pastor or one of our deacons who must be reasonably sure that you are a Jesus-follower. You then have your application for membership voted on by the current members.

Upvote 0

spiersdodgerblue

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2007
✟18,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering.... why did you not wait when you knew you were to do this on the 1st. of Nov. Did you agree to do this with the pastor of your home church? Why would you not wait to celebrate this great day with your home church family? Don't you think you took something away from the family doing this with another body of believers? And why are you asking here and not talking to you home church pastor?

Sorry for all the questions but when someone talks about their "home church" this is a very close and intimate part of one life. And to plan your baptism with this close group of believers and then go and do it somewhere else with no notice to the Home church seems....... not so close.

Anyway I'm glad you followed Christ example in baptism and I agree w/others you don't have to be a member first to be baptist-ed.

I hope you do talk w/the home church pastor before he hears it else where, just out of respect to him.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Just wondering.... why did you not wait when you knew you were to do this on the 1st. of Nov. Did you agree to do this with the pastor of your home church? Why would you not wait to celebrate this great day with your home church family? Don't you think you took something away from the family doing this with another body of believers? And why are you asking here and not talking to you home church pastor?

Sorry for all the questions but when someone talks about their "home church" this is a very close and intimate part of one life. And to plan your baptism with this close group of believers and then go and do it somewhere else with no notice to the Home church seems....... not so close.

Anyway I'm glad you followed Christ example in baptism and I agree w/others you don't have to be a member first to be baptist-ed.

I hope you do talk w/the home church pastor before he hears it else where, just out of respect to him.

The reason I did not wait is because I felt great urge to do it. Not a human urge but a sense that the timing was right. It solved many family issues if I were to get baptized on the planned date as well (but this was not in my reasoning). I just had a great feeling inside of me that felt like a rock was laying on my chest to go talk to someone about this, and I believe it was God and obviously it was in His timing that this is when I would get baptized, and I acted on faith and not by my plans.

I understand the need to perhaps wait to be baptized in my home church but at the same token we are all a family of believers not just the church. I also emailed one of the Pastors about it, but I was just curious to get a quicker response and my Pastor is very intimidating :)

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My question is that one of my previous Pastors told me that you are to become a member in the church you were baptized in for accountability purposes (Which makes sense) and in the bible it talks about people being baptized publicly and then adding to the church number.

This confuses me. What do you mean by accountability purposes?

Reactions: Allen1901
Upvote 0