Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sometimes the over literalness around here really puzzles me. I could say someone here was cool and someone else would offer them a sweater.

Well I'm sorry I puzzeled you so and for being so dumb and ignorant to take what you said too literally. Or am I taking you too literally again? I guess I'm just the most stupidest person in the forum.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only thing I do not like about this reasoning is the implied suggestion that God cannot be understood which leads to the conclusion that God cannot be known.

I must disagree.

Jesus came to show us the Father and He did not fail.

Since He did not fail, we can know the Father and the Father can be understood.

Numerous places in the word states that we can know God, understand God, as well as know and understand His will. More than that, it states that salvation and sanctification is obtained by the knowledge of God and His will.

This all goes back (again) to the theism without Jesus. What we are hearing in these threads is the continual background noise of Christianity without Jesus. To say that we cannot know or understand the Father is to say that Jesus failed and that is a denial of His Lordship and work.

I realize people do not approach it with that idea in mind. They think they are glorifying God by saying that He is too big to be understood. But you need to read what you are saying to then measure it up to what the word says.

Did Jesus show us the Father or not?

I will simply repeat His teaching:

John 14:9-26 KJV
(9) Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
(10) Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
(11) Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
(12) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
(13) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
(14) If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
(15) If ye love me, keep my commandments.
(16) And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
(17) Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
(18) I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
(19) Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
(20) At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
(21) He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
(22) Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
(23) Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
(24) He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
(25) These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
(26) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Hebrews 1:1-3 KJV
(1) God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
(2) Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
(3) Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

2 Corinthians 4:6 KJV
(6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

John 16:13 KJV
(13) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Colossians 1:9-10 KJV
(9) For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
(10) That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

1 Corinthians 1:5 KJV
(5) That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

Romans 12:2 KJV
(2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Ephesians 5:17 KJV
(17) Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

John 1:14 KJV
(14) And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

2 Corinthians 4:4 KJV
(4) In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Colossians 1:12-15 KJV
(12) Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
(13) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
(14) In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
(15) Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

2 Peter 1:2-3 KJV
(2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
(3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

This idea that we cannot know and understand God is completely contrary to the gospel and the process delivered to us by God. It sounds very religious and sound from a theistic point of view...

But it simply is contrary to the doctrine of Christ.

Knowledge is words.
Faith comes by words (knowledge) received by Christ.

If you cannot know God, then you cannot have faith.
While it all does sound so religious... it short circuits the plan and purpose of God.

Know Jesus... you will know the Father.

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The only thing I do not like about this reasoning is the implied suggestion that God cannot be understood which leads to the conclusion that God cannot be known.

Strawman. You are the only person whom I've ever seen take that leap of logic. And it is a leap. It's a non sequitor and no mistake. The fact that we know in part does not equate to us not knowing at all. In fact, it's obviously not the case. For if we know in part then we know some and therefore it cannot be that we know none.
:wave:

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Know Jesus... you will know the Father.

I know my earthly father very well. I have a great relationship with him. But I do not know every thought that he thinks, every thing he has ever done, or his motives for what he did today.

No matter how well you know someone, even another mere human, we will never reach the place where we know everything about them and have them "all figured out."

It's even more the case with God who is infinite and almighty. I can know (have a relationship with) God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) without understanding all that they are, all that they think, all that they do, have done or will do.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know my earthly father very well. I have a great relationship with him. But I do not know every thought that he thinks, every thing he has ever done, or his motives for what he did today.

No matter how well you know someone, even another mere human, we will never reach the place where we know everything about them and have them "all figured out."

It's even more the case with God who is infinite and almighty. I can know (have a relationship with) God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) without understanding all that they are, all that they think, all that they do, have done or will do.
Agreed, but does saying that you have figured someone out equate to saying that you know everything about him to the last detail?

I've said to myself before that I have figured something or someone out, but I'm not so presumptuous to believe that there isn't yet things to learn about them or it. I know people believe that they have figured me out, but do they know everything there is to know about me? No.

I think I have figured Dids out enough to say that he isn't saying that he knows everything about God, and I have said point blank that not only do I not know everything about God but I think it impossible in this lifetime, even in the next lifetime, to come to know everything about him. Do I know enough about him? Everything that God currently wants me to know about him? Now to me, that is the question and that is what is important.

From what God has revealed to me, I have figured out, and am in the process of learning more as He reveals it to me.

It's just another way of looking at it. As I said earlier, "for the sake of arguement". ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I'm sorry I puzzeled you so and for being so dumb and ignorant to take what you said too literally. Or am I taking you too literally again? I guess I'm just the most stupidest person in the forum.

Dear brother...please don't feel that way. I meant nothing by what I said and certainly did not mean to imply anything you are suggesting.

That was just my way of saying I was not being entirely literal in the OP.

Grace and peace to you my friend!

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dear brother...please don't feel that way. I meant nothing by what I said and certainly did not mean to imply anything you are suggesting.

That was just my way of saying I was not being entirely literal in the OP.

Grace and peace to you my friend!
I'm sure I did blow it out of proportion but I think I had reason to take it personal, after all, up to that point I was the only one forming an arguement to what you and others have said here. And I guess we all should have figured out by now that anyone checking "yes" in your poll are just immature and inexperienced christians, you should steer clear of me! ;)

I'm just playin.

Grace and peace to you too my friend.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Do I have God figured out..

no

^_^ He surprises me every day

I disagree :) I think it's perfectly possible to KNOW God yet not understand Him. Because we can know God without knowing everything about Him, but in order to truly understand Him, we have to know everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
but in order to truly understand Him, we have to know everything.
Really, I don't find that in evidence in my every day life. Granted I'm talking about things alot simpler than God Almighty but I can understand how a city is run, but do I have to know all the finer details about it? I can think of thousands of anologies for this if I had the time. I can truely understand how our physical body functions, but do I have to know the purpose of every minute atom in order to say that I have figured out biology?

This website, or the internet, I have figured out how to use it but do I have to know every minute detail in order to say that? I have to say of course not.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Really, I don't find that in evidence in my every day life. Granted I'm talking about things alot simpler than God Almighty but I can understand how a city is run, but do I have to know all the finer details about it? I can think of thousands of anologies for this if I had the time. I can truely understand how our physical body functions, but do I have to know the purpose of every minute atom in order to say that I have figured out biology?

This website, or the internet, I have figured out how to use it but do I have to know every minute detail in order to say that? I have to say of course not.

well I meant more like understand Him fully :) not just a few of His attributes.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not in the slightest...but one day I will know like I am known.....just not yet. And I'm content with knowing what I do know about him without the need to figure him out entirely...I like the suspense ;)
But would you say that what you do know about God is all you need to know for now, to get you through life? Will it help you win the race?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
well I meant more like understand Him fully :) not just a few of His attributes.
:) LOL, but my point is, all we really need to know about God, all we really need to understand about him, so far, in this life of ours down here on earth, is that He loves us, He cares, He has made it possible for us to have eternal life, and how we are to know the way to that eternal life with him. Also how to trust in him. That's all we need to figure out about him. Have I figured that out, yes.

Did I need to know how He created the universe to know that, no I didn't need to know that to be able to figure him out. Do I need to understand his full power? No, all He wants is for me to be able to figure out that without him I have no power and am lost without him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
:) LOL, but my point is, all we really need to know about God, all we really need to understand about him, so far, in this life of ours down here on earth, is that He loves us, He cares, He has made it possible for us to have eternal life, and how we are to know the way to that eternal life with him. Also how to trust in him. That's all we need to figure out about him. Have I figured that out, yes.

Did I need to know how He created the universe to know that, no I didn't need to know that to be able to figure him out. Do I need to understand his full power? No, all He wants is for me to be able to figure out that without him I have no power and am lost without him.
oh oki; I agree with this :) that is true. God bless:hug:

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the poll should have given more options:

1/ "I have God completely figured out."

2/"I have God somewhat figured out."

3/"I am starting to figure some things out about God."

4/"God? Umm... Who are we talking about again?"

In common everyday terms, when we use the phrase, " Ive figured it out", don't we generally mean we have grasped the difficulty very well, have able been to solve it, and nothing more needs to be of concern?

That's what I thought was being asked in the poll, and so I said no, I haven't figured God out.

As others have said, yes I know Him, but there's a lot - a BIG lot - still to be known!

Upvote 0

RisingAbove

Rising Above Hell's Influence
Dec 3, 2008
Athens, WV
✟15,198.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wow... five voted "yes" so far...

I voted "no." One may use those Scriptures to understand that God allows us to understand His will through the Holy Spirit... On our own we are still in a sinful nature and the Glory is hidden from us. We may strive to be perfect, thus allowing us to understand more the will of God for our lives... This does not mean we will have God "figured out."

But God is Spirit, no man can catch, grasp, or fully understand Him. He is infinite and spiritual where we are finite and carnal.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.