Do you ever beat yourself up for what you've said?

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That happens to me pretty much everytime I open my mouth.
not good, really not good. I hope you are able to take something good out of a conversation once in a while NILLOC?

Thanks Mina for the hug. It sucks when you feel this way, and worse when one can discern that they are usually lies from the enemy.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
not good, really not good. I hope you are able to take something good out of a conversation once in a while NILLOC?
Even a broken clock's right twice a day, and like that clock, the few times I am right are short-lived and infrequent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tcwoods91

Friend of God
Jun 11, 2011
Newberg, Oregon
Visit site
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to beat myself up all the time. Then I realized that it was Satan trying to get me to feel guilty. This is far different than feeling convicted by the Holy Spirit about what we said. When we are beating ourselves up is when we have bought into a lie. The Bible says that there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. This is just as true when we are talking about what we have said. As we come to know God in a deeper and deeper way we find that we don't need to beat ourselves up over what we have said in the past, while at the same time allowing God to transform our way of speech to bring Him glory in the future!

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

Ugh, that happens way too often; either some part of me will say maybe 30 seconds later, "you f---ed up;" or I'll come away from a conversation or a brief interaction wishing I'd phrased something differently. It ranks higher than waterboarding on the torture scale.
On the bright side, this happened a few weeks ago while I was having a cup of coffee - and a deep conversation - with a friend. I came away from it wishing I'd explained something more clearly. Instead of the usual beating myself up, I texted her with what I'd really meant to say. She thanked me, saying that she understood it much better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mydnyte

Dec 7, 2008
✟47,133.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Do you ever go home and feel like, I just couldn't seem to say the right things? or why did everything I said seem to just not go right?

Yeah, there's been times I look back and wish I would have said something that I left unsaid. I do think I'm getting better though.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you ever go home and feel like, I just couldn't seem to say the right things? or why did everything I said seem to just not go right?

Sampa - you're going through alot right now, and you're taking medication that you know effects your mind a bit. Making all kinds of life changes, diet changes etc all of a sudden is not easy. Self correction is fine - but try not to be so hard on yourself. You'll grow in the areas you want to with positive reinforcement rather than harsh self criticism. :hug:

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...... Instead of the usual beating myself up, I texted her with what I'd really meant to say. She thanked me, saying that she understood it much better.
sounds like a good outcome toastface_grillah

thank you Hazel.

Sampa - you're going through alot right now, and you're taking medication that you know effects your mind a bit. Making all kinds of life changes, diet changes etc all of a sudden is not easy. Self correction is fine - but try not to be so hard on yourself. You'll grow in the areas you want to with positive reinforcement rather than harsh self criticism. :hug:
Stravinsk, thank you, yes there are a lot of life changes. But the topic has been something much of my life and i think others also. At the same time I do have to fight things a lot more in my thinking and not listen to the lies of the accuser more often as things have changed. I like the idea of having another opportunity to talk to someone. At the same time there are those that in life who never wanted to have another word with me and walked the other way....those siutations I was pretty much helpless and have learned I have to move on and its not worth it.

Reactions: Stravinsk
Upvote 0