Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agreed. There are numerous ways to view every scripture. NOT just strictly apply same in a literal past tense basis.

Yes, eating pork was against the 'fleshly version' of the O.T. Law...but we might also be well advised not to FEED OUR HEARTS with inappropriate contentography or submit ourselves to bear a constant stream of cursing on television. That is just as much SWINE INGESTION as the physical act and much more 'harmful' to our heart health.

Just sayin....

Again agreed, but of course viewing these matters as spiritual vs. anti-spiritual activities for internal matters does take AWAY the view of a purely literal, purely external 'meat ingestion' perspective. And the same views or many others can easily apply in various directions NOT causing those same to be DO NOT EAT PHYSICAL MEAT only directives and ONLY to Jews. The latter presentation is a kind of strawman argument.

s

Thinking of dietary laws as only being physical denies the full intent of God giving the Jews their OT Law. We can learn a lot from studying the OT, but we need to keep in mind how the lessons and truths of the OT apply to us today. And, as we have agreed, in order to fully understand God's intent on an issue we need to look at every verse that applies to it. This also means looking at verses that, while they do not directly address the issue, they do address the intent and implications and underlying issues related to the main issue we are studying.

In which case, it has clearly been shown using Scripture that we, if we are in fact members of the NT Church, are not subject to the OT Laws given to the Jews. This has been done by showing verses that speak against judging people according to what they eat, by showing verses that speak of our freedom on the issue of what we eat, and by showing how God (through the apostles) addressed the issue of tryng to force Gentile believers to follow Jewish Law. And, it has been pointed out that if we choose to subject ourselves to the OT Law we are bound to keep all of the Law...and that is impossible. It was even impossible before the destruction of the Temple, which is why we needed Christ to be the final sacrifice and fulfillment of the Law. All of which says, we are free to eat pork and we are free to choose to not eat pork. We are not free to demand that others eat pork and we are not free to demand that others abstain from pork.

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus said not to cast pearls before swine He was speaking of neither physical pearls or physical swine. On this basis ALONE the entirety of 'swine' issues in the text are subject to re-examinations with GREATER light/understandings. And in that transition, YES, those texts DID pass away from a purely literal perspective.

The Old Testament also advised Jews to put the WORD in their heart.

Of course those literalists who don't want to eat PORK are sure not CUTTING THEIR physical HEARTS OPEN and inserting a little scroll in order to be 'legal and obedient.' And such is the problem with that kind of perspective.

Deuteronomy 6:6
And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart

Deuteronomy 11:18
Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.

The Pharisees of old literally (and still do in some cases) TIE OR BIND PHLACTERIES to the outside of their heads/hands in order to 'literally' obey what they THINK they see in these matters.

The fact is however that when THE LAW comes into the hearts, far more interesting things are yielded up FROM THE INSIDE of the cup...and Jesus certainly DID view THE LAWS from that perspective, seeing the RIPE HYPOCRISY that was born out in the Pharisees/Sadducees who appeared LEGAL ON THE OUTSIDE but within were 'ravening WOLVES' and 'VIPERS.'

Again, on this basis, every scripture regarding WOLVES and VIPERS and SNAKES and SERPENTS are subject to RE-VIEWS.

Literal NON-pork eaters will ascribe that there are INTERNAL unseen matters involved as well, and say BOTH physical and spiritual perspectives are in effect.

I would say that only the Spiritual views of these issue matter. Washing hands prior to eating did not appear to be all that important to Jesus, if at ALL.

enjoy!

squint

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip*
When Jesus said not to cast pearls before swine He was speaking of neither physical pearls or physical swine. On this basis ALONE the entirety of 'swine' issues in the text are subject to re-examinations with GREATER light/understandings. And in that transition, YES, those texts DID pass away from a purely literal perspective........

enjoy!

squint
A poster made a thread on that awhile back. It moved me so much, I made it a link in my siggy
In case some posters have "show siggies" turned off [as I do] here is the link.
Enjoy

http://www.christianforums.com/t7256012/#post47689189

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I found this quote by a poster on another thread pretty "amusing".....haven't yet researched this to see if pigs "invite its friends for sex" and by eating pig it causes one to have "wife swapping parties".....

http://www.christianforums.com/t2885502-44/#post23233639

5. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate.
In America, most people consume pork.
Many times after dance parties, they have swapping of wives; i.e. many say "you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your wife." If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs.

sounds like someone's been indoctrinated soundly with myths about pigs...sorta' like pig tales, eh? ^_^

Upvote 0

Blackknight

Servant of God
Jan 21, 2009
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I found this quote by a poster on another thread pretty "amusing".....haven't yet researched this to see if pigs "invite its friends for sex" and by eating pig it causes one to have "wife swapping parties".....

http://www.christianforums.com/t2885502-44/#post23233639

5. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate.
In America, most people consume pork.
Many times after dance parties, they have swapping of wives; i.e. many say "you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your wife." If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs.

I'm sorry but that statement is full of logical fallacies and sweeping generalizations.

I eat pork, I refuse to feel guilty about it. You don't, that's great.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
sounds like someone's been indoctrinated soundly with myths about pigs...sorta' like pig tales, eh? ^_^
So far, I haven't yet seen a tale of "flying pigs"......will have to look into that :D

http://www.christianforums.com/t6449385-53/#post40857628

flying_pigs.jpg

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sorry but that statement is full of logical fallacies and sweeping generalizations.

I eat pork, I refuse to feel guilty about it. You don't, that's great.
Are you referring to me? :confused:

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far, I haven't yet seen a tale of "flying pigs"......will have to look into that :D

http://www.christianforums.com/t6449385-53/#post40857628

flying_pigs.jpg

Ah, that is the beauty of CHRISTIANDOM

in CHRISTIANDOM

PIGS DO FLY

Ephesians 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

That anti-spiritual UNholy PIG flies into the HEARTS of everyone wherein the Word is sown....those who DENY that the PIG HAS TAKEN UP THE PEN shows they are still in deNILE...of the fact, and certainly not 'in truth.'

oh WELL...that's how it is...

Leviticus 5:2
Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcase of an unclean beast, or a carcase of unclean cattle, or the carcase of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty.

s

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
haha i have an avatar that looks like that one....i love piggies :D
:) Uh-oh....does that imply what I think it do.........:pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah, that is the beauty of CHRISTIANDOM

in CHRISTIANDOM

PIGS DO FLY

Ephesians 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

That anti-spiritual UNholy PIG flies into the HEARTS of everyone wherein the Word is sown....those who DENY that the PIG HAS TAKEN UP THE PEN shows they are still in deNILE...of the fact, and certainly not 'in truth.'

oh WELL...that's how it is...

Leviticus 5:2
Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcase of an unclean beast, or a carcase of unclean cattle, or the carcase of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty.

s

LOL i do believe you're spot-on, my fine chap. Hahaha...literally, pigs do fly...never thought of it that way before ^_^

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The idea that eating pork implies we are following satan is offensive and thoroughly unbiblical.

I am done here.
Is that medium done or "well" done :D ;)

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Isa66:15For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.
17They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.
18For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.

do a search on the word swine KJV...yuk!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Isa66:15For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.
17They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.
18For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.

do a search on the word swine KJV...yuk!

I agree that it may be unhealthy, however, i do not believe that it is a literal abomination to eat pork. God showed Peter when He spread before him a table cloth with all things Peter found abominable to eat and a disgrace to God to eat it. I believe this was meant in a spiritual sense as well. God was in essence saying that it is lawful to eat ALL things, and to give thanks to Him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.