Do you believe someone can be demonically possessed? Are drugs the gateway to possession?

Do you think drugs are a gateway to possession?

• Yes

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

PottersHands

Jan 4, 2017
Minnesota
✟24,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prove that it is truth.

I've decided that what I wrote before should not be told. I was talking with a Christian friend of mine and told her this story about my friend seeing a spirit regularly for over a year and she said I should not tell this story. It doesn't serve any purpose and may actually harm some people who are vulnerable. I agree now. It just didn't feel right to have this story sitting here for someone to stumble across.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Two years ago in Feb. of 2014 I stopped by a friends house. He is a lawyer and a very smart guy and also has serious addiction problems. I worked with him for 8 years and I know him quite well. Some details: his girlfriend at the time was into wiccan, he was doing pain pills during this period. He told me some strange things had been happening in the house. 2 weeks later he called me and told me to come look at something. He showed me a photo shot outside at 3 the previous morning. You could see a large figure about 10 feet tall next to a birch tree. Same birch tree that was outside. I said, "Why were you outside at 3 am?" He said, "Because I could feel it was there." Yeah, I know this doesn't prove anything and I thought it was pretty thin. So let's fast forward through the next year. The big thing started showing itself in the house on a regular basis. It would race across the room and through a wall, it would sit in the corner and watch him take a bath with his girlfriend. He would wave and give it the finger at the same time. He would ask it what it wanted. It would walk up to their bed and spread it's arms wide almost like it was saying, "You're mine."

Apparently she had done something on the internet to conjure this or summon this. My friend was adamant through this time that he thought God was bs, spirits were bs and he was very determined that this was all ridiculous. I was trying to impress on him that the only thing they listen to is Jesus. He said, "b____t. So that's where we're at, I know 2 people who were with him and saw this thing and other spirits. I have numerous stories, pictures I received and experiences from this 2 years. I was told by several pastor friends to stay away from this as it is very dangerous. I can tell you that there is a strong form of curiosity which draws you toward this but I did resist the draw to go try to see this thing. It screamed at me over the phone once. My friend did not hear the scream.
This story gets so bizarre you would think I'm from another planet if I told you what happened next. So I'm going to skip that and tell you that my friend put a shotgun in his mouth, pulled the trigger but had the wrong shell in the gun. So he took 20 benzos instead and ended up in treatment. That failed but the next time he went to treatment a counselor with extensive physics and biology knowledge convinced him that WE cannot exist without a God who created us. He told him about our dna and string theory. I said Praise God and my friend said, Praise Jesus. The spirits left and he doesn't see them anymore. He is a mess from all this but he's alive and he goes to treatment every morning. He's my friend and I prayed that he would be part of the kingdom of God. I never thought it was possible.

So anecdote equals truth?

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with those who say that this should not be your only source of an answer. If you are not already in a church please find a Bible believers congregation and ask to sit with a group of people who are knowledgeable about scripture and demons. I can tell you they exist but you can only know yourself once you experience them. Turn away from them, expel them, do not cajole or exhort them, do not play games. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit and seek to do good in the name of Jesus. This person could have been clinically insane and his behavior exacerbated by drugs or alcohol but either way, don't play with it in any fashion. The Bible is clear that there are, but again, you can only know yourself once you experience them.

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

PottersHands

Jan 4, 2017
Minnesota
✟24,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with those who say that this should not be your only source of an answer. If you are not already in a church please find a Bible believers congregation and ask to sit with a group of people who are knowledgeable about scripture and demons. I can tell you they exist but you can only know yourself once you experience them. Turn away from them, expel them, do not cajole or exhort them, do not play games. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit and seek to do good in the name of Jesus. This person could have been clinically insane and his behavior exacerbated by drugs or alcohol but either way, don't play with it in any fashion. The Bible is clear that there are, but again, you can only know yourself once you experience them.

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While it is impossible to understand everything 'spiritual', we have the Bible that is able to define for us what we NEED to know.

And we are instructed without doubt that there are indeed, familiar spirits, evil spirits, witchcraft, sorcery, etc..............

Our minds, souls, spirits are capable of creating a 'gateway' to many 'things' that are spiritual. Whether real or imagined, we are capable of creating 'things' that are as real to us and others as anything physical.

We are instructed that we are capable of 'creating lies' and having those lies become a part of our lives.

What is 'real'?

What our minds perceive as real is what is 'real' to each of us.

The person hearing voices, to them, those voices are as real as any other in their lives.

The person seeing an hallucination, that vision is as real as any other 'thing' that they perceive.

I am a firm believer in demons, evil spirits or whatever else you may choose to label them.

But we are also assured that if we RESIST the Devil, he will flee. The problem is in the understanding of resistance. How do we 'resist'?

I believe we resist by using the tools we have been given. God's Word, faith, prayer, repentance. And the most important tool: FORGIVENESS of ourselves and others.

For it is when we find ourselves in a 'negative place' that we end up most vulnerable to the wiles of the Devil. When we are weakest is when he strikes most often.

Don't ever let anyone tell you or convince you that we are NOT at war with Satan and his minions. We surely are and all it takes is for one to open their eyes to clearly SEE it.

I would personally 'avoid' anyone that I KNEW was openly practicing any sort of sorcery or witchcraft.

It's like a pilot buddy of mine use to always say: "I'm not so worried about it being MY day to die in a plane crash, I worry about it being someone else's day ON MY PLANE".

The best way to get shot is being involved in a 'gunfight'. If you weren't THERE, not likely to get shot.

Helping others? Sometimes we can't. Sometimes they will end up bringing us down with them rather than us having the capacity to bring them out.

We NEVER 'give up'. But there is an amount of 'common sense' we are given and most often it's when we ignore it that we find ourselves in situations that could have easily been avoided.

Witchcraft is REAL. All of it? Of course not. But there is 'evil' and there are those that seek it out and embrace it. And the scary part is we have no idea how POWERFUL evil can be. We have examples but as in most examples, things can always vary and be worse than what we've 'seen'.

What if the story of Job is literal? What if Job was 'special' to God and that Satan could have permission to DESTROY someone not so 'special'? Wouldn't want to 'find out the hard way' myself. That God had left it up to ME and Satan to 'battle it out' and I was left to sort it out on my own. Satan has been around since 'the beginning'. It would really be a bummer to 'slip' while battling with Satan.

So, it would be best to 'avoid' that with the appearance of PURE EVIL. I would choose to RUN rather than stand and fight.

Not that I'm a coward, I just don't have the confidence to pick a fight with the Devil. I got a feeling he's a lot stronger and wiser than myself.

Evil is REAL and it is exhibited as often as one is willing to open their eyes and LOOK. I try my best to 'look away' to avoid it having the potential of snaring me. For the Devil is 'wise' indeed. He KNOWS what 'moves us' and how to influence in ways that often SEEM harmless.

Seek the 'truth' offered in God's Word and you will stand a much better chance of avoiding his snares.

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Remind me again what century we are living in.
Different century but the same truth Jesus spoke of centuries ago when he taught us that not all have "eyes to see, or ears to hear".

Upvote 0

FormerTweaker

Dec 3, 2016
California
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Demons are very real.

I have dealt with demonic oppression and possession. I've felt like it took control of my body and there was nothing I could do but lay flat on my bed hoping it wouldn't hurt anyone, fighting against it's will for control of my body. A prayer to God and Jesus begging for help stopped that feeling of my body being controlled by another person next to instantly. Thank you Jesus. But he didn't cast it out at that moment. He still permits it to bother me and torment and molest/rape me. Not seeking to talk about deliverance since it's against forum rules though I wish it were not.

I let this happen to me before I was a Christian due to being an idiot. Thought some demons were neutral or good. Like they were just spirits on earth or something and I let one possess me, not even knowing what possession meant. I am suffering the consequences of my actions. I am hoping Jesus will deliver me soon. I met a pastor who suffered from demonic oppression/possession and said it took him 6 months before they were driven out and he was not a fool like me, willingly letting one possess him.

This demon can either take a physical form, or make it seem like it has one via illusions/hallucinations. They can make you feel/see/hear/smell/hear (or a combination of all at once) things that they want you to. I remember angels having physical forms in the old testament. And if demons are fallen angels, they may be able to do the same.

This one is currently trying to get me to commit the unforgivable sin 24/7. Has been for a while. I don't speak to it. They're evil, do not get involved with them.

Search scripture to see if it says how one becomes demonically possessed.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Demons are very real.

I have dealt with demonic oppression and possession. I've felt like it took control of my body and there was nothing I could do but lay flat on my bed hoping it wouldn't hurt anyone, fighting against it's will for control of my body. A prayer to God and Jesus begging for help stopped that feeling of my body being controlled by another person next to instantly. Thank you Jesus. But he didn't cast it out at that moment. He still permits it to bother me and torment and molest/rape me. Not seeking to talk about deliverance since it's against forum rules though I wish it were not.

I let this happen to me before I was a Christian due to being an idiot. Thought some demons were neutral or good. Like they were just spirits on earth or something and I let one possess me, not even knowing what possession meant. I am suffering the consequences of my actions. I am hoping Jesus will deliver me soon. I met a pastor who suffered from demonic oppression/possession and said it took him 6 months before they were driven out and he was not a fool like me, willingly letting one possess him.

This demon can either take a physical form, or make it seem like it has one via illusions/hallucinations. They can make you feel/see/hear/smell/hear (or a combination of all at once) things that they want you to. I remember angels having physical forms in the old testament. And if demons are fallen angels, they may be able to do the same.

This one is currently trying to get me to commit the unforgivable sin 24/7. Has been for a while. I don't speak to it. They're evil, do not get involved with them.

Search scripture to see if it says how one becomes demonically possessed.

So anecdote and millenia old texts are evidence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I'm curious as to what you all think--I think it's definitely possible for someone to be demonically possessed. The worldly answer would be to say that this guy was on drugs, but I believe it's more than that. Do you think drugs can be a gateway to possession as well?? I'd like to know your views on
this.

Of course there is demonic possession, as well as demonic oppression - I have witnessed both.

And of course drugs lead to possession - It's what they're for. Where the NT speaks of avoiding sorcerers and wizards, almost exclusively the word involved is 'pharmakopia', the root word for, well you can guess it by our word 'pharmacy'.

Upvote 0

PottersHands

Jan 4, 2017
Minnesota
✟24,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no such things as supernatural demons, so no, drugs cannot lead to possession by them.

From your short and sometimes cryptic responses I think I see what you are saying. Here's the deal, you don't have to believe in demons to be saved. You just have to believe in Jesus and what he did for you. Reading the gospels for 50 years tells me you've taken care of that so that's good! So your opinion about this discussion is kind of meh!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are no such things as supernatural demons, so no, drugs cannot lead to possession by them.
"Demonization" (daemonizimai) is ABSOLUTELY possible, and Probably a good deal MORE Prevalent that we know, or are willing to admit.

"Hollywood demons", of course are INFINITLY more powerful than the Hollywood "God", so "media presentations" of Demonization are ALWAYS more utterly hopeless and horrendous than the reality of the situations - i.e. satan is a BEATEN ENEMY, and ANY Christian has authority over Him in Jesus' NAME.

The "Worldly answer" for demonization WILL ALWAYS BE "some form of insanity" (There are NO SUCH THINGS as supernatural Demons - or some such similar foolishness).

THE PROBLEM IS - that the "visible church" (Regardless of denomination) is morbidly AFRAID of the Demonic, and for the most part is completely unable to address it when they encounter it. The Catholic church WILL ADMIT it's existence, but treats it in a completely beaurocratic way which is all but WORTHLESS in terms of actually solving it.

However ANY BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN moving in the power of the Holy Spirit is completely capable of DELIVERING, in the power of the Holy Spirit, one who has become demonized.

There are any number of "Gateways" to demonization - Ouija, coming into contact with a GENUINE Spiritist Medium, Playing with Wicca, Astrology, and simply saying "YES" to little stuff - which leads to saying "yes" to bigger stuff - etc.

Drugs, since they can lower one's defenses, and make them more susceptible to suggestion could be a contributing factor, but probably not the PRIMARY factor.

It sounds to ME as though you DID come into contact with one who was demonized, and may have had other factors (possibly chemical) aiding and abetting his behavior.

Back in the '70s, there was a woman in our church, whose sister was at the point of being institutionalized because of crippling FEAR that led the family to fear that she'd destroy herself to alleviate the pain. However the Pastor of our Assembly of God church (Claud Dewlan at Celina, Ohio), and the woman decided to give "Deliverance a try" as a "Last ditch effort" before the papers were signed, and she was gone.

Long story short, they went over to her house and confronted the demonic entity - the Pastor in English and the Woman (who had NO training, or previous exposure to the demonic) in her Tongue - she described the TERRIBLE ANGER against the filthy thing that was killing her sister and described "Pushing against it" in tongues - until it left. And her sister became completely "normal" instantly (in her right mind).

For several days afterwards, the sister's Piano would clank in the middle of the night, and there were footsteps heard, pounding on the walls, and Shadows with nobody there, which the sister knew (now) to "Rebuke in Jesus' name" which stopped them, and then all was at peace.

Last time I Saw the woman I asked how her sister was 30 years later, and she said everything was fine, and the Sister was serving the Lord in a Church, and no further "Fear Issues".

SO THIS WAS a case of a person bound to the point of Commitment into an asylum, but after having Deliverance from Demonization Ministered to her, instantly becomes completely O.K. and remains that way - long term.

The "World" says that: "There are NO SUCH THINGS as supernatural Demons" (or heaven or hell, or Judgement, or a Messiah that shed HIS BLOOD so that we could be saved from our sin).

The "World" doesn't know what it's talking about.
Right. People don't understand how real it is

• Agree
Reactions: roamer_1
Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, 'some' people don't 'get it'.

some of us are completely aware of the 'evil influence' that exists in this world and where it comes from.

Demons are as real as Satan himself. They are his minions and constantly seeking who they can destroy. And who they can USE to destroy others.

What we don't know is exactly HOW powerful they may be.

What if? What IF they are so powerful that we have little if any defense against them now days.

For we see that even among the 'so called Christian Community', there are many that insist that demons do not even exist.

I offer that if we DO NOT RESIST, they will not flee.

And if we do not acknowledge their existence, we have NO defense against them.

Like any other enemy, pretending that they do not exist does not eliminate them. It only empowers them.[

If one does not recognize their enemies, their enemies have power over them that they cannot resist.

Demons have the ability to enter into humans and once 'inside', influence their very thoughts and even their 'actions'.

Drugs are certainly one avenue demons can use as a doorway in.

For thousands of years Shamans and the 'religious' leaders of tribes used 'drugs' to enter into the 'spirit world'.

Since we can see this tradition in tribes 'all over the world', it is unlikely a 'fluke'. It is more likely that this was 'common knowledge' among ancient peoples.

That certain drugs and rituals were able to allow the participants entrance into the 'spirit world'.

And it only stands to reason that if man can enter into the 'spirit world', the 'spirit world' has access to this world as well.

Voodoo is about allowing 'evil spirits' to enter into a subject and 'have it's way' so that the 'evil spirits' won't negatively affect the entire group. So 'evil spirits' are invited in to individuals so that they can 'have their way' with the individual.

While some insist it is 'just an act', if you actually witness a 'voodoo' ritual, it appears to be as real as anyone I have ever witnessed speaking in tongues or flopping around on the ground in a 'church'.

Yet in 'voodoo', those that believe in it openly present their belief as in 'evil spirits'. They admit that they attempt to appease evil spirits in order to limit their malevolence. To 'appease them'.

It's kind of funny, people believe that because we have learned to make 'machines' that the 'things of the past' are no longer relevant.

I offer that the 'things of the past' are often MORE relevant than our attempts to forget them.

How about this for contemplation:

If you were an 'evil spirit', would you rather be 'recognized' or 'unrecognized'?

Would you attempt to reveal yourself or conceal yourself?

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, 'some' people don't 'get it'.

some of us are completely aware of the 'evil influence' that exists in this world and where it comes from.

Demons are as real as Satan himself. They are his minions and constantly seeking who they can destroy. And who they can USE to destroy others.

What we don't know is exactly HOW powerful they may be.

What if? What IF they are so powerful that we have little if any defense against them now days.

For we see that even among the 'so called Christian Community', there are many that insist that demons do not even exist.

I offer that if we DO NOT RESIST, they will not flee.

And if we do not acknowledge their existence, we have NO defense against them.

Like any other enemy, pretending that they do not exist does not eliminate them. It only empowers them.[

If one does not recognize their enemies, their enemies have power over them that they cannot resist.

Demons have the ability to enter into humans and once 'inside', influence their very thoughts and even their 'actions'.

Drugs are certainly one avenue demons can use as a doorway in.

For thousands of years Shamans and the 'religious' leaders of tribes used 'drugs' to enter into the 'spirit world'.

Since we can see this tradition in tribes 'all over the world', it is unlikely a 'fluke'. It is more likely that this was 'common knowledge' among ancient peoples.

That certain drugs and rituals were able to allow the participants entrance into the 'spirit world'.

And it only stands to reason that if man can enter into the 'spirit world', the 'spirit world' has access to this world as well.

Voodoo is about allowing 'evil spirits' to enter into a subject and 'have it's way' so that the 'evil spirits' won't negatively affect the entire group. So 'evil spirits' are invited in to individuals so that they can 'have their way' with the individual.

While some insist it is 'just an act', if you actually witness a 'voodoo' ritual, it appears to be as real as anyone I have ever witnessed speaking in tongues or flopping around on the ground in a 'church'.

Yet in 'voodoo', those that believe in it openly present their belief as in 'evil spirits'. They admit that they attempt to appease evil spirits in order to limit their malevolence. To 'appease them'.

It's kind of funny, people believe that because we have learned to make 'machines' that the 'things of the past' are no longer relevant.

I offer that the 'things of the past' are often MORE relevant than our attempts to forget them.

How about this for contemplation:

If you were an 'evil spirit', would you rather be 'recognized' or 'unrecognized'?

Would you attempt to reveal yourself or conceal yourself?

Blessings,

MEC

Prove it (without Bible verses and anecdotes.)

Upvote 0