Do you believe someone can be demonically possessed? Are drugs the gateway to possession?

Do you think drugs are a gateway to possession?

• Yes

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Human Sacrifice

Bless and do not curse
Oct 7, 2016
USA
✟14,391.00
Country
Virgin Islands, U.S.
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Very telling declaration there.

Just so that you are aware, this is a Christian forum.

Jesus was God in the flesh. When Jesus believed in Demons that means that Demons were real. Even the demons in Hell knew Jesus name and trembled.

You don't have to believe in Demons. Please don't misrepresent scripture in the process of speaking your opinion here. Thank you.

I don't agree with this. If Jesus was a man, then he had beliefs like a man. If it isn't so, how would he be fully human? Didn't Jesus speak in parables just to fufill prophesy? He was aware of scripture. Why should he calculate who is beneath him if he is above all? Why would he study? What did he study? How we understand things can't be the same as a God.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree with this. If Jesus was a man, then he had beliefs like a man. If it isn't so, how would he be fully human? Didn't Jesus speak in parables just to fufill prophesy? He was aware of scripture. Why should he calculate who is beneath him if he is above all? Why would he study? What did he study? How we understand things can't be the same as a God.
God arrived in the form of a man by God's will and unto a virgin so as to be born as a sinless child. His ministry began after his baptism by John.
And then the holy spirit of God indwelt him before all who witnessed his baptism. To show the fulfillment of his future teachings about just that. It was symbolic, being water purified and washed clean the sins of those who were there awaiting their turn with John.
Jesus message was taking the baptism one step further by teaching that the holy spirit, as God demonstrated upon his only begotten son that day, would later come and guide the faithful in him.

Jesus said any number of times during his ministry that when you have seen him you have seen the Father.

"I and the Father are one."
Reckoning back to the Old Testament, "Hear oh Israel, our God, our God is one."
Jesus was prophesied about in the OT. He was the fulfillment of those prophecies and the author of the new covenant.

Jesus showed everyone what is possible when we are one with God. He was a man in form in order to do that and be received by other men. However, he was the Temple of God in the process of living the example of truth in prophecy.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Simply because there seems to be a lot of arguing and all I wanted was an answer to my question, and I think I have that now. Not that I don't appreciate the many answers I've received--because they've definitely helped a lot!

But that's half the fun. :)

My view on that has always been:

1)When I start a thread, as far as I'm concerned people can say/do whatever they want. We can't shut them up in real life, nor would most of us want to, so let it all ride.

2)Those arguments can sometimes teach us more than straight to the point answers...much more.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In our day and age there is a scientific answer for everything it seems. It's funny to think people refused to believe the Earth was round yet we have people nowaday's that believe a baby made from 3 different people is the evolution of science and a miracle. I'm 16 by the way, so I don't know as much as I probably should about the bible, but I've seen some pretty creepy stuff but for right now I'm just going to mention this one incident that occurred last night. So my mom and I were at Walmart picking out some new shelves for my room. We found one we really liked so my mom asked me to go get a shopping cart from the front. I did what she said and it took me a while to get it because it was at the front of the store--10 minutes later I make it back. Now I already detest Walmart. God bless Doug McMillon, president and CEO of Walmart Store lol.

But back to the serious topic, as my mom and I are putting the heavy box in the shopping cart, this man begins to walk towards us, but it isn't a slow casual walk. It's a frantic, bouncy walk. It worries me a little, and usually when I'm worried about a particular person it's never a good sign. My mom believe's I have the gift of discernment, and if you don't know what that is it's basically when I feel that the holy spirit is letting me know something isn't quite right. I'm sure everyone is blessed with this, but sometimes I notice things that others are oblivious too. But enough of that... so this guy just gave me a strange feeling. I was helping my mom put the box in the shopping cart and he walks past and I don't know if you've ever had the feeling of someone standing right behind you with a knife to your back but that was the kind of feeling I got. Like I was in danger, and right when I felt that he said something under his breath. I could clearly pick out the f-word because it shocked me but I couldn't figure out what else he was saying. My eyes widened and my mom asked me what was wrong. I said "did you not hear that?" and she said "Yeah I just ignore childish people like that. It's not even worth my time." But I was at a loss for words. I wasn't angry, or upset.. I was just confused. I told my mom that I felt confused as well, and I tried to convince myself that maybe he was mad because we were in the way. This is when things started to get scary, and my mom began to feel scared to. After we put the box in the shopping cart we went down another isle, and we could hear the guy yelling something in the distant. For whatever reason I couldn't make out what he was saying--it was clearly English but it was slurred and because he was a ways away I couldn't tell what he was saying. We walked down the isle some more and this is when we saw him on the other end to our left. He had to have walked there quickly in order to get there, because we had heard him to our right not even moments before. But I looked at his eyes for a short 2 seconds and I had to look away from the amount of evil I felt. Like, I just remember his eyes being black.. But like a shiny black.. It was strange. He walked towards us as if he was coming to us but last minute he turned the other way. My mom and I were done looking after this. We felt scared that this guy would do something crazy like shoot or stab us. We walked out and we could hear him yelling nonsense but we were just ready to leave.

So I'm curious as to what you all think--I think it's definitely possible for someone to be demonically possessed. The worldly answer would be to say that this guy was on drugs, but I believe it's more than that. Do you think drugs can be a gateway to possession as well?? I'd like to know your views on this.

Psychedelic drugs do open the doors to perceived alternate realities. For those who are spiritually mature people, or who abide in cultures where the usage of such drugs have laid out well-traveled paths to maneuver through the perils involved, the gateway may lead to abodes beyond the demonic.
The more common path for those caught up in experimentation with these kinds of drugs is the gates of hell are opened up to them.
It would be a mistake to think that all hallucinations are merely delusions. Drugs are an entrance way into the world of spirit, and not all angels encountered in that world are of heavenly in nature. In fact, the opposite would be true.

The physiological damage caused by hallucinogenic drugs is real enough, and well measured by science. The psychic damage wrought on the soul leaves much deeper scars.

• Agree
Reactions: Starcrystal
Upvote 0

MayMcFlurry

Jun 30, 2016
England
✟18,090.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
I appreciate you sharing what you did, it helps me to better understand your experience, along with your thinking, as to what happened spiritually. If I may ask, how long since your deliverance and what is your testimony for God since being delivered? IOW, How are you fellow-shipping, growing and serving in Christ now?

My deliverance was earlier this February, so it's been, what, eight months? I've had to deal with a lot of demonic oppression in this time but I go to a great charismatic house church which is really understanding and gives me prayer for it. I guess that answers your question about fellowshipping :)

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stop putting words in my mouth. Lying indicates knowledge that something is or isn't true, then proclaiming the opposite.

You assume that everything Jesus is purported to have said in the Gospels are things he actually said. You believe that as a matter of FAITH. I don't.

No, it is truth, regardless of whether or not you accept or reject it. Truth is independent of whether or not someone believes in it or has knowledge of it.

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psychedelic drugs do open the doors to perceived alternate realities. For those who are spiritually mature people, or who abide in cultures where the usage of such drugs have laid out well-traveled paths to maneuver through the perils involved, the gateway may lead to abodes beyond the demonic.
The more common path for those caught up in experimentation with these kinds of drugs is the gates of hell are opened up to them.
It would be a mistake to think that all hallucinations are merely delusions. Drugs are an entrance way into the world of spirit, and not all angels encountered in that world are of heavenly in nature. In fact, the opposite would be true.

The physiological damage caused by hallucinogenic drugs is real enough, and well measured by science. The psychic damage wrought on the soul leaves much deeper scars.

Absolutely true. Native shamans will even tell you this. Think Carlos Casteneda if you have ever read any of his books. they basically teach one to become a "sorcerer" mainly through the use of 3 different type of 'sacred" plants: Datura, Peyote, and Mushrooms.
It definitely is NOT the path of Jesus.
Not all hallucinations are delusions.
This is even true when someone who has never done drugs experiences visions. It has been said that some of the prophets in the Bible, especially ones like Ezekiel and John on Patmos, would be diagnosed schizophrenic today, yet they were seeing visions of God.
But when someone does drugs it opens doors to what are known as the lower realms, those of hades, and the realm of the prince of the power of the air.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My deliverance was earlier this February, so it's been, what, eight months? I've had to deal with a lot of demonic oppression in this time but I go to a great charismatic house church which is really understanding and gives me prayer for it. I guess that answers your question about fellowshipping :)
I hope you continue to grow and walk in victory. Eight months is good, but certainly not too long for an evicted spirit to not come back and check in on a former dwelling place. Continue to tear down the old strongholds of thinking he helped build. Because if the house of thoughts he built is simply cleaned but still empty he'll returns with some friends, according to scripture.

Reactions: MayMcFlurry
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Absolutely true. Native shamans will even tell you this. Think Carlos Casteneda if you have ever read any of his books. they basically teach one to become a "sorcerer" mainly through the use of 3 different type of 'sacred" plants: Datura, Peyote, and Mushrooms.
It definitely is NOT the path of Jesus.
Not all hallucinations are delusions.
This is even true when someone who has never done drugs experiences visions. It has been said that some of the prophets in the Bible, especially ones like Ezekiel and John on Patmos, would be diagnosed schizophrenic today, yet they were seeing visions of God.
But when someone does drugs it opens doors to what are known as the lower realms, those of hades, and the realm of the prince of the power of the air.
I think that you bring up an important point about OT prophets like Ezekiel likely being diagnosed as schizophrenic today. It gets back to the observation of the first post as well, about a schizophrenic giving off unsettling and demonic vibes.
Jeremiah likely would receive a diagnosis of depression today too.

Yet, any people with what would be labeled as mental illnesses today have been counted among the saints and godly people, even today.

One of the main differences between an Ezekiel and the man that the opening poster described is not that their pyschic conditions are appreciably different. What is different is the exposure of a man like Ezekiel to a culture and an evangelization that had the needed social supports in order to direct those who experience psychic states toward God and a Beatific vision.
Our own culture has become so post-Christian that we no longer have the social structures that are capable of sublimating such visions into such blessings.
When a society stops believing in Christ and angels, what is left for those experiencing such altered states of minds is demonic presence alone.

I think that you bring up another important point as well. Without passing any judgement on shamanistic practices of other cultures, it is also important to point out that drug induced visions are definitely not the path to Christ.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Starcrystal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that you bring up an important point about OT prophets like Ezekiel likely being diagnosed as schizophrenic today. It gets back to the observation of the first post as well, about a schizophrenic giving off unsettling and demonic vibes.
Jeremiah likely would receive a diagnosis of depression today too.

Yet, any people with what would be labeled as mental illnesses today have been counted among the saints and godly people, even today.

One of the main differences between an Ezekiel and the man that the opening poster described is not that their pyschic conditions are appreciably different. What is different is the exposure of a man like Ezekiel to a culture and an evangelization that had the needed social supports in order to direct those who experience psychic states toward God and a Beatific vision.
Our own culture has become so post-Christian that we no longer have the social structures that are capable of sublimating such visions into such blessings.
When a society stops believing in Christ and angels, what is left for those experiencing such altered states of minds is demonic presence alone.

I think that you bring up another important point as well. Without passing any judgement on shamanistic practices of other cultures, it is also important to point out that drug induced visions are definitely not the path to Christ.

I try my best to keep on with the Ezekiel path, despite what society thinks, Jeremiah a bit too, though depression stinks :)

Cameras also do not hallucinate, though they are not exactly "wheels' within wheels... ;)
Fat saucer:
UFO_2004.JPG

UFO_2003a1.JPG

Enterprise D: "Captain Picard to Starfleet Command, we have someone with a camera down below on sensors, please advise course of action?"
Starfleet Command: "Captain, that couple in Alaska? they are not even in our time line. That's the year 2004. Riker doesn't even know about them. Let it alone Captain. Proceed to Space dock..."

UFO_2003a1galaxyclass.JPG

(The "UFO" bears an uncanny resemblance, doesn't it?)

Upvote 0

Human Sacrifice

Bless and do not curse
Oct 7, 2016
USA
✟14,391.00
Country
Virgin Islands, U.S.
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The point isn't that drugs will open a person up to a demonic posession. The point is that demonic possession must have a point of origin. Maybe that origin is sin. Maybe it is in ignorance, or the occult. If evil exists in this world, it may follow that demons exist or do not exist. Considering the reality of a spiritual realm of evil leads me to consider how one may experience it. For all I know I am a backwards satanist. But if not for a true and verified experience of evil, we are left with pitiful imaginings and maybe left vulnerable to it. I fear for my poor soul, and those of others who may have slipped into psychosis, that they may be evil and be condemned by it maybe for an eternity.

Upvote 0

Angelfire70

Mar 11, 2016
California
✟17,184.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Well Steve, since you speak with such authority on the matter, please enlighten us further by granting us the source of your authority.

Being this, a Christian Forum, I would think that the Bible would be at least considered by those attending. That is, if those attending profess to be believers of Christ.

Let us consider what the Bible offers before actually coming to specific conclusion.

Since the Bible 'says' that we can indeed be possessed by 'evil spirits', (demons), I would offer that your comment couldn't be further from the 'truth'.

Then consider that 'drugs' have the capacity to destroy our inhibitions, not only drugs, but alcohol as well.

If evil spirits have the potential and capacity to 'infect' individuals, (possess a person), I would offer that for this to be possible, they must somehow be 'allowed in'. I contend that drugs have the ability to cause us to 'let down our guard' and can indeed be a 'gateway' to infection by 'evil spirits'.

And not only 'drugs'. Music, what we read, anger, hatred, depression, just about anything negative that affects our lives can potentially be a form of 'leaving the door unlocked' to evil spirits.

Now, what I have offered is basically Biblical instruction. So where did your information come from?

Blessings,

MEC
Christ cast out demons, so yes demons exist and drugs can quite possibly be a gateway (because a bit like the lament configuration demons are called by those who indulge themselves).

Upvote 0

Angelfire70

Mar 11, 2016
California
✟17,184.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Lots of 'maybes' in there.

Steve, one thing is for sure, there are NO maybes in God's Word the Bible. Demons are evil angels that have been cast out of heaven with Satan, and they are here on earth, creating trouble, until the events in revelation take place. Actually, God created hell for these beings, and not for humans, but sadly, all who disregard Jesus as Lord will end up there.

For a comprehensive explanation, check out GotQuestions.Org "is there activity of demonic spirits in the world today". It cites scores of Biblical truth to verify that they indeed are.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Steve, one thing is for sure, there are NO maybes in God's Word the Bible. Demons are evil angels that have been cast out of heaven with Satan, and they are here on earth, creating trouble, until the events in revelation take place. Actually, God created hell for these beings, and not for humans, but sadly, all who disregard Jesus as Lord will end up there.

For a comprehensive explanation, check out GotQuestions.Org "is there activity of demonic spirits in the world today". It cites scores of Biblical truth to verify that they indeed are.

I have heard all this for 50 years in my evangelical/fundamentalist upbringing. None of this is verifiable without accepting Biblical literalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I disagree. I believe that the evidence is overwhelming.

Just listen to individuals confess their crimes. Some even state that they were aware of some 'evil entity' dwelling within themselves.

You are simply choosing a path of denial. That makes it impossible for you to see the evidence when it's staring you in the face.

The Bible states that the 'darkness' cannot comprehend the 'light'. That means that there are many things that this world is blind to.

Blessings,

MEC
No, the criminals are choosing the path of denial by attributing their crimes to invisible, unproven entities in order to get leniency from the judges based on insanity.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What is it that convinces people that the man had a demon or mental illness? Is it that he walked fast? Maybe his dark eyes? He turned an aisle. Maybe that is the give-away? Yep, demon possessed schizophrenia drug abuser.

Upvote 0