Do you believe and follow Jesus' words?

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
An enemy in authority would ask. If uncompliant, more than likely, they will demand after that, and then if still resistent, force will be given.

Police are generally good in the performance of their duties, but we have seen how some cops can just plain go bad. Fear & distrust is spreading, and it is important to apply His words now more than ever to yield to those in authority, even to the froward when the stress and the insecurities of the day mounts to tempt one to be abusive in authority.

1 Peter 2:18Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. 20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. 21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: 22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: 23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: 24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
Thank you for your patience and for sharing your perspective on the verse. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The question "Why was this verse difficult for you to explain as an orthodox Christian"? I'm sorry. My answer: The verse was always in the back of my mind, but I spent most of my time focusing on Paul's writings.
That actually does not describe to me why it was difficult for you to explain.

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
What about Luke 6:30, "Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again."?
I believe in Jesus and desire to follow His teachings. What we have from the Disciples is Gold, however not the same to me as if Jesus explicitly wrote it.

What was Luke meaning to imply to readers?

For me Charity.

Touchy subject asking to divulge this...

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more." 2Cor :16
How does this show that St Paul's teaching contradicts Luke 6:30?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not saying it does. I'm saying that verse is how I rationalized the passing away of Jesus' earthly teachings/dispensation.
That's a pretty weird thing to do. .. Is that what you felt you had to do as an orthodox Christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was part of our doctrines.
I have never heard of that before. Can you tell me when that doctrine originated and who decreed it? It seems strange that a Christian religion would consider Jesus Christ's teaching obsolete.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I have never heard of that before. Can you tell me when that doctrine originated and who decreed it? It seems strange that a Christian religion would consider Jesus Christ's teaching obsolete.
Surely you've heard of dispensationalism.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Surely you've heard of dispensationalism.
I had to look it up on Wikipedia last week. I am not familiar with it. Do you know who started the idea that Jesus' teaching was obsolete? Can you link to the original statement?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Why did you say this is orthodox Christianity? It doesn't sound like Christianity at all.
In the united States alone, it is said that up to 16% of self-professed Christians believe in dispensationalism. It includes Presbyterians, Baptists, Pentecostal, Charismatic, non-denominational, evangelical churches ... sounds like many orthodox denominations to me.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the united States alone, it is said that up to 16% of self-professed Christians believe in dispensationalism. It includes Presbyterians, Baptists, Pentecostal, Charismatic, non-denominational, evangelical churches ... sounds like many orthodox denominations to me.
What then do they claim Christianity to be, if it is not the observance of Jesus Christ's teaching?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
.. Also, why do you describe these as orthodox denominations? They are all protestant denominations.

Upvote 0