• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Do you also have what others have called a "high pain threshold?"

D

Devorim

I am wondering, because I saw this phenomenon mentioned here.

It never crossed my mind that I have a "high pain threshold" until my daughter said (a couple decades ago) that she thought this of me. I have thought of this since, but today, I saw two different persons write this of themselves. One gave a bit of a reason for this that was interesting to me.

I am wondering if this is directly related to abuse. What do you think? What have you seen evidenced?

The reasons I probably have a high pain threshold:
* Child birth, for me, was easy, painless, only pressure. Actually, I had enough fun giving birth that I considered doing it again after two.
* I have a serious illness that causes others a lot of pain, but I just don't seem to have all the pain others with this illness have. (I am on a forum for those who have it, and their pain is incredible and nearly constant. Mine is not.)
* I have sciatica, but it is obvious to me that I just don't hurt as do others with sciatica.
* I have back pain, but I often don't notice it until someone touches my back or I lean my back against something.

So what are you thinking regarding what you know?

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
home is where the heart is <3
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am wondering, because I saw this phenomenon mentioned here.

It never crossed my mind that I have a "high pain threshold" until my daughter said (a couple decades ago) that she thought this of me. I have thought of this since, but today, I saw two different persons write this of themselves. One gave a bit of a reason for this that was interesting to me.

I am wondering if this is directly related to abuse. What do you think? What have you seen evidenced?

The reasons I probably have a high pain threshold:
* Child birth, for me, was easy, painless, only pressure. Actually, I had enough fun giving birth that I considered doing it again after two.
* I have a serious illness that causes others a lot of pain, but I just don't seem to have all the pain others with this illness have. (I am on a forum for those who have it, and their pain is incredible and nearly constant. Mine is not.)
* I have sciatica, but it is obvious to me that I just don't hurt as do others with sciatica.
* I have back pain, but I often don't notice it until someone touches my back or I lean my back against something.

So what are you thinking regarding what you know?

It sounds like a possibility. I actually slept thru half of the labor with one of my babies, lol. I have had to learn to connect with/in my body, since trauma beginning in infancy conditioned me that being in the body was painful. I learned very early in life not to connect with the body, which meant I didn't register pain very well. If someone was to ask me "on the scale of 1 to 10.." where my pain level was, it's hard for me to give an accurate number.

Upvote 0

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I agree. I have not tried to connect, as you have. It amazes me that people can read their bodies, their needs, etc. And yes, I am troubled by trying to scale pain. Again, thank you!

Hi, you're welcome. I had no concept about this until I began realizing I had alter personalities connecting with me, sharing memories of traumas.

I remember specifically, this incident one day about 7 years ago (I was 35). I was doing dishes and after some time... maybe 15 or 20 minutes... I began to have this nagging feeling "something's wrong." But it didn't register at first. Several minutes passed, and this "nagging feeling" began to be a voice from inside (although distant) ... "Something's wrong... you need to check and see!" Several minutes more passed, and the voice finally was loud enough, I decided to check... and also checked with my body, and realized there was some "pain" in my side. What I discovered was that there was an opened ink pen in my pocket and every time I went from the sink to the dishwasher, bent down to put something into the dishwasher... this ink pen was jabbing me in my side over and over. I had NO CLUE!! I actually had long imbedded ink marks on my side where it broke the skin. That was the day I began to realize how much disconnect there was from the body.

Another day, I was on my treadmill and noticed a huge bruise, and that day, I actually celebrated because I remembered where the bruise came from! lol

I also noticed times when I actually slipped out of the body (by accident) ... I was walking through my dining room, and in a split-second, I decided to make a quick turn to the left, but my body kept moving forward (without me), as there was an alter out in front of me who was intent on walking in another direction, and I wasn't aware I wasn't fully out front. Anyway.... I slipped out of the body and for a couple seconds, scrambled to catch up with my body.

I know that sounds weird, and scary.... but it was part of my becoming aware of how disconnected I was. And I'm still learning to connect. It's not natural for me, but I'm getting there.

I have had to make an effort to connect with what's going on in my body because of safety issues. I need/ed to be able to take daily assessment of what's going on with my physical body so I'll know things I need to know related to my safety.

Hope that made sense...

Upvote 0
D

Devorim

Wish I could reply that I understand, but I can't. Wow! That is complete disconnection! I had not realized it could go that far!!

I have a friend who has alters. Without her, I would have no idea what you are writing of. Without her and knowing what a wonderful, precious human being she is -- and a believer -- I would have no idea. I am very naive in this area.

Thank you for giving us your perspective! Thank you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People experience things in different ways. When ppl were sticking needles into me in hospitals, it was commented that I must have a high pain tolerance, because it didn't bother me much.

Another aspect is when getting tattoos; some ppl don't need to use numbing cream; others do. Do you understand what some tattoo artists mean when they say that pain is all part of it? (I'm not sure quite what is meant by this, anyway.)

Upvote 0
D

Devorim

People experience things in different ways. When ppl were sticking needles into me in hospitals, it was commented that I must have a high pain tolerance, because it didn't bother me much.

Another aspect is when getting tattoos; some ppl don't need to use numbing cream; others do. Do you understand what some tattoo artists mean when they say that pain is all part of it? (I'm not sure quite what is meant by this, anyway.)

Thank you, faroukfarouk, for your answer. No, I don't suffer that much, considering. :) I feel very fortunate in that.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, faroukfarouk, for your answer. No, I don't suffer that much, considering. :) I feel very fortunate in that.
Glad you don't suffer too much! Fact is, from hospitals to tattoo parlors, the way people respond to different levels of pain does vary a great deal, as you may have experienced practically, maybe.

Upvote 0

dyingslowly

Mar 16, 2015
Singapore
✟2,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've had fractures and never uttered a sound when they occurred. I went about my business as usual. No one knew I was hurting. The only exception was a heel fracture. I could only hop on my good leg.

It was a bad heel fracture that is giving me arthritis now.

Needles don't bother me.

It's all in the individual. Life experience does count.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Same here. Broke a bone once, didn't utter a squeak, and I was only 11 years old at the time. I gave birth three times, never any pain meds because I always had short, quick labors and by the time I got to the hospital, it was too far advanced to start the pain treatment. The first two, I screamed bloody murder, but the third, not a squeak. Psychological, because my mother was in the room that time, and I have been heavily conditioned never to show "weakness," that is any pain or any negative emotion, in her presence. To this day, no matter whose funeral it is or what serious injury I've just suffered, I cannot react if she is present. I have an easier time crying in front of perfect strangers than I do my own mother.

My husband and I are both diabetic. I'm insulin dependent. Fortunately for him, he isn't. Because I think nothing of checking my blood sugar level and injecting myself with my insulin, but if he tries to stick his finger to check his blood sugar, you'd think he's cutting his finger off entirely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your kindness. It's so amazing to me when I hear of someone who is accepting and supportive of someone who is multiple (has alters). That isn't something that is common at all. Bless you.

Wish I could reply that I understand, but I can't. Wow! That is complete disconnection! I had not realized it could go that far!!

I have a friend who has alters. Without her, I would have no idea what you are writing of. Without her and knowing what a wonderful, precious human being she is -- and a believer -- I would have no idea. I am very naive in this area.

Thank you for giving us your perspective! Thank you.

Upvote 0