Do we have to confess our sins to another person?

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes you should confess your sins to another person.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (James 5:16)

Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone's sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven." (John 20:21-23)

It may feel embarrassing to confess something but understand that if you do this to a priest they are not going to tell anybody else and will not judge you because of that.

Upvote 0

Follower3

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2013
✟378,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes you should confess your sins to another person.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (James 5:16)

Sounds to me like, not only do you have to confess not just to anyone, but to a righteous person.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sounds to me like, not only do you have to confess not just to anyone, but to a righteous person.
That would be good but it is not a requirement. The Saints are in heaven and they are the most righteous people so we can ask them to pray for us. Their prayers are the most powerful and effective like the verse said.

Upvote 0

whitstatman

Aug 25, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Scripture does not imply that particular people in heaven are able to intercede with God in a unique way in the case of particular kinds of needs.

By attributing such abilities to these saints, we detract from the centrality of Jesus Christ as our divine and human mediator. 1 Timothy 2:5 states:

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"

If you need to repent, bring your worries and sin to Christ. Only He can vanquish your sin. That is not to say praying with one another is wrong. Matthew 18:20 states:

"For where two or three are gathered in My name, there am I among them."

All in all, seek the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness. Scripture says nothing about certain people having intervening powers in heaven with Jesus. Pray with one another. Pray for one another and do all you can to further the walks with Christ of those among us.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do we have to confess our sins to another person? or is praying the prayer of forgiveness the same thing, because I read that you have to confess your sins to another in order to be healed I think?

its just that I do not know who to talk to, and its kinda embarrassing saying that you are sorry for masturbation?

In the case you mentioned, your not sinning against another person so you wouldn't go find someone to confess to.
I think you have to be careful about who you confess to. For some people, it would be like as the Bible says, throwing pearls before swine. If you have a mentor who is older in the faith then maybe that would be a person to talk to about it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the case you mentioned, your not sinning against another person so you wouldn't go find someone to confess to.
I think you have to be careful about who you confess to. For some people, it would be like as the Bible says, throwing pearls before swine. If you have a mentor who is older in the faith then maybe that would be a person to talk to about it.

But you're describing advice or guidance there, not asking forgiveness for sinning, right?

Upvote 0

willlowbee

Life Is Hard! Hug me!
Jul 3, 2013
✟1,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do we have to confess our sins to another person? or is praying the prayer of forgiveness the same thing, because I read that you have to confess your sins to another in order to be healed I think?

its just that I do not know who to talk to, and its kinda embarrassing saying that you are sorry for masturbation?
Simple answer if you are not Catholic. NO!

Upvote 0