Do we have any rights?

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No matter what political camp you belong to it seems like there is a lot of talk of rights. I have to wonder if our rights are granted/defined by government and can be altered/removed by said government how they are not privledges, and if no government grants them how do they exist, and become defined?

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No matter what political camp you belong to it seems like there is a lot of talk of rights. I have to wonder if our rights are granted/defined by government and can be altered/removed by said government how they are not privileges, and if no government grants them how do they exist, and become defined?
The second amendment was intended to protect the so called rights given to us by the constitution and the founding father. Although this was the one class I did not take in High School. I decided to take my GED rather then to take the POD class. I imagine it is mostly propaganda anyways. As a lot of the public school system involves brain washing.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The second amendment was intended to protect the so called rights given to us by the constitution and the founding father. Although this was the one class I did not take in High School. I decided to take my GED rather then to take the POD class. I imagine it is mostly propaganda anyways. As a lot of the public school system involves brain washing.
The second ammendment seems pretty weak. The government does not seem to really see the second ammendment or any of the other ammendment in the bill of rights as an obstacle to doing as they please. Plain reading of the second ammendment would lead a person to believe that any individual could own any we on and posses in any place at any time, but that is not the case in practice.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The second ammendment seems pretty weak. The government does not seem to really see the second ammendment or any of the other ammendment in the bill of rights as an obstacle to doing as they please. Plain reading of the second ammendment would lead a person to believe that any individual could own any we on and posses in any place at any time, but that is not the case in practice.
Almost the next day after the Orlando shooter there were 4 gun control laws to vote on. They voted according to their party and nothing passed. So the law is based on one of the parties having a voting majority at any point in time.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No matter what political camp you belong to it seems like there is a lot of talk of rights. I have to wonder if our rights are granted/defined by government and can be altered/removed by said government how they are not privledges, and if no government grants them how do they exist, and become defined?

For Americans.

This a a big cryptic. Can you perhaps just plainly state what you are asking.

This is the American politics forum, so it's pretty much a given that posts are for Americans

I just have no clue what you are trying to ask.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Almost the next day after the Orlando shooter there were 4 gun control laws to vote on. They voted according to their party and nothing passed. So the law is based on one of the parties having a voting majority at any point in time.
But if we truly had the rights we are brainwashed into believing we have then no vote or social uprising could be reason for a law that would violate those rights.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This a a big cryptic. Can you perhaps just plainly state what you are asking.

This is the American politics forum, so it's pretty much a given that posts are for Americans

I just have no clue what you are trying to ask.
Do "rights" exist. So the rights enumerated in the Constitution only apply to Americans?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do "rights" exist. So the rights enumerated in the Constitution only apply to Americans?

Well it is the American Constitution. Addressing Americans. It carries no weight in England.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You might consider taking this to the philosophy forum.

But clearly rights don't exist the way that apples or rocks exist. Rights are agreements among human groups. In many places they are codified in the rules of government.

Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

As essentialsaltes said, they don't exist the way apples or rocks exist. They only exist if a society supports them.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As essentialsaltes said, they don't exist the way apples or rocks exist. They only exist if a society supports them.
Then they cannot be universal or inalienable, or even real, and the government has been feeding us a line for over 2 centuries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Then they cannot be universal or inalienable, or even real, and the government has been feeding us a line for over 2 centuries.

If you want to look at it that way, sure. Personally, I'm glad that my country, Canada, works towards giving everyone these "rights". I'm not saying we're 100% successful, but imo it's a darn sight better than not worrying about them.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Are you saying that the founding fathers, (of the United States), Authored The Constitution, (of the United States), and the Bill of Rights, (of the United States); but because these uniquely American documents are not universally (Globally) validated or enacted, they therefore are not real?

Is that what you are saying?

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you want to look at it that way, sure. Personally, I'm glad that my country, Canada, works towards giving everyone these "rights". I'm not saying we're 100% successful, but imo it's a darn sight better than not worrying about them.
How does your ever so benevolent state grant rights?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would not, but would it apply to those in other countries that might fall within the purview of the American government.

What countries would be those?

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying that the founding fathers, (of the United States), Authored The Constitution, (of the United States), and the Bill of Rights, (of the United States); but because these uniquely American documents are not universally (Globally) validated or enacted, they therefore are not real?

Is that what you are saying?
No I didn't say that but you bring a valid point to the table. What I am saying is that rights are a figment of your imagination, they do not exist and no artificial construct such as the state or its ridiculous documents can magic them into existence.

Upvote 0