Do Violent Revolutions Tend to Have Positive Results?

AionPhanes

Jan 1, 2015
Michigan
✟18,174.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
In an earlier thread I was explaining why I thought we should have allowed Assad to put a quick end to the revolution in Syria. It would have saved countless lives and prevented ISIS and other terrorists a new strong hold. I also noted that I thought many of the "Arab spring" revolutions (like Libya) ended up making said nations crappier places to live.

Then I said :

"Though you might find a few exceptions* in history as a general rule I don't think violent revolutions are a particularly helpful way to better ones country. Especially if you don't have the firepower and support to pull it off quickly."

* One possible exception might involve the overthrow of colonial powers ruling from the other side of an ocean and lacking the ability to project enough force to hold on to the territory if they faced determined and continued opposition. <~~ Yeah, I'm obviously referring to the American war of Independence here.

So... are violent revolutions generally a loosing situation or am I on the wrong track here?

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Short-term violence may be required for long-term gain. Syria appeared to be a lose-lose deal. Oddly Daesh/ISIS may cause enough unity of purpose among the super powers that a solution will have to happen that fits regional/local needs instead of Western business interests.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Here in this country there's been a need for revolution since before I was born. At one time I thought that would have to be a violent one, now I think it needs to be of the sort that encompasses the ballot box - a political revolution.

Wake up and vote America.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Violent revolution would require cutting back on binge-watching shows on Netflix and Roku. Therefore, not likely here in the good old USA.

Upvote 0

AionPhanes

Jan 1, 2015
Michigan
✟18,174.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I would agree that there may be rare instances where armed revolt might turn out for the better. There just seems to be a horrible track record of revolutions merely making things worse. Especially if the revolutionaries are too weak to win a fast and decisive victory and the said revolution grinds on and on bringing about maximum casualties.

Notice how common it is for one bad regime to simply take the place of another too. The revolution starts with talk of liberty and human well being then you have a brutal dictator like Lenin take power for example. Or like in Libya where the religious loonies start taking over. Once the chaos starts it's hard to prevent a strong man from rising up to seize power.

That's why it bothers me to see the US being so quick to arm and fund people who are out starting armed revolutions. Especially when said revolutions are destabilizing a region and making it a breeding ground for terrorism and extremism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cerberus~Infinite

Sippin and smokin
Nov 23, 2015
Redneck, TX
✟1,632.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Depends on how far out you go. France was not a pretty place after their revolution. Wasn't pretty before it. It's a bit better now.

The Arab spring has not led to good things in many of those nations. 50, 100, 200 years from now. Who knows.

It's best to avoid them when possible. But sometimes the frying pan is so miserable that the gamble on likely ending up in the fire is worth the small chance of finding your way off the stove all together.

Upvote 0

AionPhanes

Jan 1, 2015
Michigan
✟18,174.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
An armed revolution against the American government would be a waste of life and resources. Non violent methods of reformation would have a greater cost to effect ratio. Even if one doesn't mind corpses lining the streets it would still be pragmatic to reject such a revolution simply because it wouldn't be an effective way to bring about any real improvement in the lives of the American people.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here in this country there's been a need for revolution since before I was born. At one time I thought that would have to be a violent one, now I think it needs to be of the sort that encompasses the ballot box - a political revolution.

Wake up and vote America.

I will.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They can have positive outcomes, but are a bit riskier than non-violent ones. You can suffer backlash and have the movement implode on itself, win a phyrric victory, or simply be massacred. Non-violent tends to be less risky, but takes a lot of willpower and sometimes isn't as effective. Pretty sure people could have camped outside Assad's place for days and nothing significant would have changed.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Depends on how far out you go. France was not a pretty place after their revolution. Wasn't pretty before it. It's a bit better now.

The Arab spring has not led to good things in many of those nations. 50, 100, 200 years from now. Who knows.

It's best to avoid them when possible. But sometimes the frying pan is so miserable that the gamble on likely ending up in the fire is worth the small chance of finding your way off the stove all together.

Thomas Jefferson spent a lot of time in France, and was very sympathetic to the French people. Though he deplored the violent excesses of the Reign of Terror, he believed it was necessary to dispose of the King, and the nobility. And he never completely renounced the Revolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well.. there's America.
:oldthumbsup:

#RevolutionaryWar

America is the mightiest country in the world.

No, America isn't the mightiest country in the world. We haven't been the greatest country in a long time, actually.

You're just spouting some lie you've been told your entire life.

Also... I don't view the USA as a positive force in this world, right now. We terrorize other countries and wage meaningless wars. That's not positive.

EDIT: And I see you've edited your post a third time. So in response... no. We're not even arguably the mightiest in the world.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, America isn't the mightiest country in the world. We haven't been the greatest country in a long time, actually.

You're just spouting some lie you've been told your entire life.

Also... I don't view the USA as a positive force in this world, right now. We terrorize other countries and wage meaningless wars. That's not positive.

I didn't mean ethically- I meant military wise. Did you know that there is no other country on Earth that spends the amount of money we do on the military?

And
America is the reason others aren't pulling out their own soldiers to the same degree. You like to pretend we're out there for no reason, but notice the recent attack was nowhere near America..
We suffered the worst terrorist attack in modern history. 9/11 involved nearly 5000 victims, half who died.

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn't mean ethically- I meant military wise. Did you know that there is no other country on Earth that spends the amount of money we do on the military?

That doesn't make us 'mighty'. It makes us 'bloodthirsty'. Also, I count everything about a country when I gauge 'greatness'. Military doesn't matter if its citizens are being treated badly, after all. That's a horrible view, that 'might makes right'.

And
America is the reason others aren't pulling out their own soldiers to the same degree. You like to pretend we're out there for no reason, but notice the recent attack was nowhere near America..

I don't see how this is relevant at all. If anything it undermines your argument and proves my point.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't make us 'mighty'. It makes us 'bloodthirsty'. Also, I count everything about a country when I gauge 'greatness'. Military doesn't matter if its citizens are being treated badly, after all. That's a horrible view, that 'might makes right'.

'Bloodthirsty' is a loaded word. The Jews were bloodthirsty after the holy Exodus, if you want to go there. The reason America goes to war is because she has the military might to do so. The UK has it's military, but has chosen free healthcare and whatnot over defending against a very old, historical enemy.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
'Bloodthirsty' is a loaded word. The Jews were bloodthirsty after the holy Exodus, if you want to go there. The reason America goes to war is because she has the military might to do so. The UK has it's military, but has chosen free healthcare and whatnot over defending against a very old, historical enemy.

Might doesn't make right, I thought I already established that. And even if bloodthirsty is a loaded word, I'm completely correct. You're not even proving me wrong here. You're proving me right with this comment.

"We go to war because we can". That's what you're saying. And that's horrible.

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Might doesn't make right, I thought I already established that. And even if bloodthirsty is a loaded word, I'm completely correct. You're not even proving me wrong here. You're proving me right with this comment.

"We go to war because we can". That's what you're saying. And that's horrible.
We always have interests involved with any war we participate in

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We always have interests involved with any war we participate in

Yes, that's how war works. It doesn't mean it's right, though. It doesn't mean those INTERESTS were something we should be wanting/desiring/coveting. And I have NO INTEREST in shedding blood any more than what is necessary to defend this nation and its people.

But I don't see the USA waging war for defense anymore. We've become a problem.

Upvote 0

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, that's how war works. It doesn't mean it's right, though. It doesn't mean those INTERESTS were something we should be wanting/desiring/coveting. And I have NO INTEREST in shedding blood any more than what is necessary to defend this nation and its people.

But I don't see the USA waging war for defense anymore. We've become a problem.
No, we suppress and defeat tyranny and oppression. We are welcome wherever we go.

Upvote 0