Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been searching the internet about this very thing today! Unfortunately, I found no answers specifically to my issue. After a very long and messy marriage and devastating divorce, I stepped away from my faith in God (even though I KNEW He had held me through all of the traumas and provided for me when I found myself completely on my own with nothing.

Anyway, during that year, I searched for fulfillment in meditation and Eastern religious beliefs. I ended up getting a tattoo of a buddhist symbol (the incomplete circle) with a dragonfly (to symbolize renewal) on my forearm. I now feel it gives the wrong message and promotes something I don't truly believe in. I regret it and fear I will be judged by other Christians because of this. I know that God does not judge because of this and I have been forgiven for all my sins during that time. Still, it is a permanent mark that I ashamed to wear. Any input?
Hi there; good to see you on the forums; and it's wonderful that day by day we can feed on God's Word and know communion with the Saviour Who died for His people at the Cross and is now risen and intercedes for them constantly, Hebrews 7.25.

Many Christians have tattoos, including faith based ones. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen also as a result of her willingness to have it done.

I think it's the design that you currently have that bothers you, right? When you have the time and funds to spare, you might consider having the design adapted to reflect your settled Christian convictions. It's amazing what a good tattoo artist can do; and for example, a Christian woman with the name of an ex-bf (e.g., Bill) tattooed might want to get the tattoo 'Bill' changed to (e.g.) 'Bible', or something like that.

There might also be the option of removing it altogether, although this might prove both expensive and painful, involving multiple sessions and the end result might not look good, either.

If you do succeed in having the current tattoo adapted and superimposed with a specifically Christian design, you will be numbered among very many Christians who have done the same. I saw this quote from someone someplace in the Bible Belt, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been searching the internet about this very thing today! Unfortunately, I found no answers specifically to my issue. After a very long and messy marriage and devastating divorce, I stepped away from my faith in God (even though I KNEW He had held me through all of the traumas and provided for me when I found myself completely on my own with nothing.

Anyway, during that year, I searched for fulfillment in meditation and Eastern religious beliefs. I ended up getting a tattoo of a buddhist symbol (the incomplete circle) with a dragonfly (to symbolize renewal) on my forearm. I now feel it gives the wrong message and promotes something I don't truly believe in. I regret it and fear I will be judged by other Christians because of this. I know that God does not judge because of this and I have been forgiven for all my sins during that time. Still, it is a permanent mark that I ashamed to wear. Any input?
Well unless you want to keep explainig it to everyone who asks why you got it, keep it covered. I think most christians dont really question why ppl get tattoos anymore, since its become a fad, but they might be concerned, try not to take it as judging.

Sin does have consequences im afraid even when we forgiven we cant go back and undo all our bad choices. Keep Living a christian life and people will overlook yur outward appearance because they will see Christ IN you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well unless you want to keep explainig it to everyone who asks why you got it, keep it covered. I think most christians dont really question why ppl get tattoos anymore, since its become a fad, but they might be concerned, try not to take it as judging.
Getting tattoos is very widespread, anyway; and a lot of them are faith based.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Would like to see your tat my friend.

I have a few religious ones on my arms too.

Dn't try rubbing it off as it wont work. I have tried laser treatment. Very expensive and VERY painful!!!

Offer up your tattoo to God. Pray and tell Him it is a sign, an outward sign, of your deep love for Him.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

PS: Was it your first tattoo?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It could be considered a testimony that you are human like everyone else. It is horribly ironic if it is Christians who are most likely to be rejecting of you because of it—a test most Christians are not ready for. It can be pretty hard on a person to be rejected by even just a few people who should be brotherly/sisterly. I think what you have to deal with is a social issue, not a moral issue. Use a permanent marker to put a prohibition mark around it. ;) It can still be a good conversation starter.

This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. (1 John 3:19-20, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

protorayish

Aug 27, 2016
USA
✟1,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm a little late to this, but Greg J. said it very well. I think you can simply explain that it was a bad time in your life and use it as a testimony of sorts. If you don't cover it, you might get looked down on by people that don't know you, but that's a matter of their own spiritual immaturity.

Upvote 0

protorayish

Aug 27, 2016
USA
✟1,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And since it was asked for, here's a picture of the tattoo. This is when I first got it a little over a year ago. It has faded a bit since then.

Attachments

• 20150920_090318.jpg
    20150920_090318.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are all sorts of motives for doing it, or not doing it; but it does seem to be something that those of more mature years are often now doing without compunction, anyway, FYI:

' "...Most of my clients are in the older bracket," Gallo-Kohlas told The Huffington Post. "We see a lot of women in their sixties and seventies getting their first tattoos." Gallo-Kohlas recalls a woman in her sixties who got a tattoo because everyone in the golf clique at her gated community had one. It seemed like the thing to do in order to fit in.'
Many Women Get Tattoos Post 50 ? And Don't Regret It Later huffington post

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And since it was asked for, here's a picture of the tattoo. This is when I first got it a little over a year ago. It has faded a bit since then.
If it's faded, do you think you'll need a bit of extra ink to touch it up?

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A little over a year ago, I got a tattoo on my upper arm. It is two nails in the shape of a cross with the Jesus fish symbol wrapping around it in blood. I had a clear conscience at the time, but after a while started to question whether or not it was wrong to get the tattoo. My dad, a very strong Christian, had many tattoos, but had most of the visible ones (his sleeves on his forearms) removed because he didn't want to look intimidating (he's a 6'5 ex marine, so that along with the tattoos was a bit of an off-putting image). He has no moral objections to tattoos and I was always raised that tattoos were in no way wrong. My tattoo is almost always hidden and most of friends forget I even have it because they go months without ever seeing it because of its location, so looking "intimidating" or it hindering my ability to witness is really not much of a factor here. I also don't think my mindset in getting it was rebellious or really even vain, I just thought it would be cool to have a permanent cross on body to make it clear what I'm what all about. I prayed about it beforehand and didn't sense any objection. The question I've been dealing with is if a tattoo in and of itself is inappropriate for a Christian to have. If it's not a moral problem, I have no regret of getting it. It's pretty cool and has given me a couple of opportunities to explain it and how it represents the ruggedness and weight of the cross that was carried for us.

I have tendencies to often go through phases where I really struggle with legalism. Though I'm getting better about it, it has not been uncommon for me to really start to separate myself from God because I'm afraid that something that I don't even know is wrong is putting me at enmity with God. A month or so ago, I saw a post online about how tattoos that are not repented for and removed will send someone to Hell. This seemed ridiculous to me at the time because I've thoroughly studied the context of Leviticus 19:28 and other passages used against tattoos and found no basis that they are wrong, but it soon started to really make me worry about if they are right.

I looked into tattoo removal, but cannot afford to have it removed professionally, so if I do decide to have it removed I will definitely use salabrasion (thoroughly rubbing layers of the skin off with salt water and gauze) to do it myself. I like the tattoo and don't want to remove it, but if it is wrong for me to have, I will certainly remove it no matter how painful it may be.

Sorry for the long post. I'm sorry if there are other threads on the morality of tattoos, but I asked this because my situation is a little bit different than the mere morality of getting a tattoo (my situation being having a tattoo and wondering how/if I should deal with that). Like I said, based on scripture, my current stance is that I don't think tattoos are wrong, but I really don't want to mess this up and face serious consequences for my ignorance. I also don't know if that mindset I just described is edging on the side of legalism that I often struggle with.

I would really like all of your thoughts on this matter. To put this all into 2 questions:
1. Should I feel bad about my tattoo and regard it as sinful?
2. Should I remove it?

Don't feel like you need to follow those questions specifically.

Thank you very much for any genuine contribution.

That be a matter between you and the Lord...you ask the Lord not man if you should have(or keep) the tattoo...don't worry about what other people be doing or approving of, you do what the Lord and his Word tell you to do.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see nothing wrong with faith-based tattoos or others.

There is a man who comes to my store a lot and he's covered in them. He is the nicest man! He's a good Christian and good to people in big and little ways.

He made the LONG trip to see me in the big hospital four times to pray with me and twice a week in the rehab center. His tattoos are regular and faith-based.

His faith and his deeds are precious. Keep the tat and let God's love shine out from your own self.

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see nothing wrong with faith-based tattoos or others.

There is a man who comes to my store a lot and he's covered in them. He is the nicest man! He's a good Christian and good to people in big and little ways.

He made the LONG trip to see me in the big hospital four times to pray with me and twice a week in the rehab center. His tattoos are regular and faith-based.

His faith and his deeds are precious. Keep the tat and let God's love shine out from your own self.
This was kind of him. Hope you are doing well now.

So maybe his faith based ink serves to help him have conversations with ppl about the Lord?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That be a matter between you and the Lord...you ask the Lord not man if you should have(or keep) the tattoo...don't worry about what other people be doing or approving of, you do what the Lord and his Word tell you to do.
A lot of Christians have faith based tattoos that are proven effective in witness conversations; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This was kind of him. Hope you are doing well now.

So maybe his faith based ink serves to help him have conversations with ppl about the Lord?

How should I know? It wasn't my day to ask questions.

All good things
Emmy

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

protorayish

Aug 27, 2016
USA
✟1,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your insights, I really do appreciate all of your perspectives. I'm sorry that I'm not responding in a very timely manner, but I've been busy and don't check this site often enough to keep up.

Since I started this thread a while ago, I think that it would be appropriate for me to offer an update of where I'm at:
I've prayed alot on the subject and talked to members of my church about it, and I don't really feel like having the tattoo is a problem. I recognize that I may struggle with this question at times in the future because I find that I still have a very weak/immature conscience, but I feel at piece now and no longer feel the need to have it removed.
Once again, whether I agree with them or not, I appreciate the responses!

Upvote 0

protorayish

Aug 27, 2016
USA
✟1,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it's faded, do you think you'll need a bit of extra ink to touch it up?
What actually led me to posting this question was me getting it touched up. I had scheduled an appointment, but then started to question the morality of tattoos and canceled my appointment the day of. I then went one step further and started to consider removing it.
Now, I still might not have it touched up because I kind of like the faded look. It's a lot more subtle.

Upvote 0