Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hearing John 21:15 and onwards in Church, I started getting depressed. Do I love Christ?

I mean, I see the beauty in the world, feel his peace, want to me more like him, love to feel the Holy Spirit in me healing me, making me a better person.

But that's just all respect, admiration and gratitude. Is that Love?

I got onto thinking about the song Lord of the Dance and another particular part of the Sermon about how Christ is reflected in the people on the Earth, and how the people of the Earth are reflected in Christ. Someone reminded me about the goats and sheep story.

The way I think I got this sussed is as follows. It's difficult for me to love Christ in the traditional sense of say brotherly or fatherly love. But if I am even just 1% of what Christ is, then firstly I know that I would love him.

The other way I was thinking is that if he lives in me like I live in him, then if I love myself then I love him, and if I love him, then I love me. Its a sort of cyclical argument and the best I got.

Any help here?

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think your second sentence pretty well answers your question. And, like all loves, the love of Christ grows with time.

I'm sorry I don't have an attribution for this; but I read a few years ago an article by someone who had asked a nun what it was like to be a "Bride of Christ." Her answer was, roughly, "It's like any relationship. Sometimes rough, sometimes smooth; sometimes easy, sometimes hard."

Upvote 0

TheGuide

Feb 5, 2007
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word of God. You grow in love by reading the word.

The Gospel of John brings it home: In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.

First, understand that Jesus (as he is known here on earth) has always been with God, even before man was created. We learn to appreciate what he left to come to this world to face torment and ridicule for our sake. Matthews tells us of his birth and development into the assignment God gave him, but John, oh John, he gives us information about Jesus in the most loving way.

He came unto his own and his own did not receive him, but to those that received him to them gave he the power to become the sons of God, even to them that spoke on his name.

Read the Gospel of John, then read it again. Take your time, read a half chapter or whole chapter and absorb Jesus's love. That's when the scripture that says "we love him because he first loved us" will be a reality in your heart.

God bless

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟14,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not something that comes easily. I struggle with the same question, because it doesn't come naturally to me. I often pray to "show me how to love You". I believe that it starts with an understanding of what God's love is for us, and the more we learn about it, the more we give back too.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hearing John 21:15 and onwards in Church, I started getting depressed. Do I love Christ?

I mean, I see the beauty in the world, feel his peace, want to me more like him, love to feel the Holy Spirit in me healing me, making me a better person.

But that's just all respect, admiration and gratitude. Is that Love?

I got onto thinking about the song Lord of the Dance and another particular part of the Sermon about how Christ is reflected in the people on the Earth, and how the people of the Earth are reflected in Christ. Someone reminded me about the goats and sheep story.

The way I think I got this sussed is as follows. It's difficult for me to love Christ in the traditional sense of say brotherly or fatherly love. But if I am even just 1% of what Christ is, then firstly I know that I would love him.

The other way I was thinking is that if he lives in me like I live in him, then if I love myself then I love him, and if I love him, then I love me. Its a sort of cyclical argument and the best I got.

Any help here?

If you love someone, you will want to spend time with them.

That must be your goal. Christ loves to spend time with us. He values those moments. I wonder why it's hard for you to think of Him as "brother/father" figure? How about a best friend? He IS your best friend. It's a great discovery you will have if you learn to fellowship with Him as with your best friend.

Love grows. Usually people don't love Christ because they do not know Him. I think I felt like you: devotion, admiration and stuff like that. But when I started to make time to be in His presence, to think of Him, to talk to Him in my thoughts - I fell in love. And now I can say that I love Him.

He loves you. More deeply than you can imagine. As a person. Not just as a worshipper, but as His...friend...someone He loves...child... you name it...

He adores you. Not because of the things you are doing good in the church or ministry. But just because. Just because you are dear to Him. He watches you constantly. He watched you grow up. He knows every line of your face and character. He knows why you do the things you do. And He doesn't judge. He simply loves. And He wants to be there for you. He is there! Just come and sit with Him (not necessarily physically, but in your thoughts). Focusing our thoughts on Him is a way to connect to Him.

Develop a relationship with Him. It's called a life in the Spirit. To come to God in the Spirit - is to fellowship with God through your spirit and your thoughts. Do that, and you will be blessed.

Ignore that, and you won't be the lucky one...

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I think the problem for me, is that there isn't a tangible physical presence that speaks back to you. At times, it feels like you're speaking into a void when you pray. You can't see or hear Christ, but you feel him and know he is there.

What I can say is, I see the changes he has made in me, so if he is reflected in me, and I in him, then it all becomes a bit easier, because if I love me, then I love him, and if I love him, I love me. So I say if I am but 1% of what he is, then meeting him in person would be amazing, because he would do those things you talked of. He would listen, wouldn't judge, and wants to help.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is sometimes a problem when couples base relationship decisions solely on their feelings of love. When the feelings go away, they imagine that love is gone. But are they defining love usefully?

If you love your parents, you might feel love for them one day, and get angry with them the next. But the undercurrent of what you think of them is loyal, dedicated, willing to help them, ready to defend them.

The Bible sometimes compares love to obedience and faithfulness. If you love me, feed my sheep. The love is based on a decision to appreciate and respect, love and honor.

If you love someone, you will want to spend time with them.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The love is a non-traditional kind of love. The love is self-sacrificial love -- a desire to operate in union with Christ, to love and to give what we have in gratitude.

And it's a love that extends to others: a "pour down" kind of love.

It's an interesting question -- and it's tough to love someone who's not visible, not present. As John said, you really have to see how your love "pours down" to know whether it's really there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 26, 2010
✟7,639.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Like any love, your love for Christ can go through difficult patches, and times when you're not 'feeling it', and like any relationship you have to work at it to get the love back. The wonderful thing about the Lord is that he is always there, immutable and steadfast. You always know where you stand with God and you can be certain of his love for you.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any help here?

sjdean said:
Any help here?

Remember: GOD IS TRUTH. Human hearts are quick to harden when we dwell on lies (that is, words which don't come from God but rather from the spirits of evil who plague our mind). You can carry these spirits into church too you know.

Your defense is to re-learn how to hear God's voice. One trick I have may help: think of the one thing you really want to know. Pray to God the Father in the name of Jesus to enlighten you. Believe that Jesus is The Holy Counsellor who will put the thoughts in your mind when you read. Read the Holy Bible from any page, skim until the words fall on your ears and enlighten you, that is Jesus The Holy Counsellor.

Remember, God is LOVE, we Humans know what Love is. Whatever message you get that conflicts with what you would do with Love if you were in God's place, you are not hearing God and you could be hearing your ego or the enemy. Have faith that God is the One absolute and cannot be conquered, you'll never be mistaken.

The divine book is closed to those whose hearts are hardened with sin. (Meaning what?) If you come to God with evil motives He will not love you for it. Be pure of heart and trust that He loves you and wants to help your walk of faith.

Now, for that verse: Jesus was resurrected and had taken on an unrecognisable form, yet he basically said to them: if you can recognise me in this form (by knowing Him as Love rather than the worker of miracles), you do in fact know Who I Am, feed my sheep.

This is a parable of the finest kind: you may see Jesus' presence in all forms He presents Himself as (The Holy Spirit - remember Jesus imparted the Holy Spirit to whosoever believes in Him), and you will know it is Him by knowing He is Love.

My prayer for you was a strong thought, God bless.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2010
✟15,166.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is not something that comes easily. I struggle with the same question, because it doesn't come naturally to me. I often pray to "show me how to love You". I believe that it starts with an understanding of what God's love is for us, and the more we learn about it, the more we give back too.

Spot on espec.the bit in red above. Isn't there something in the bible like "we love God because he loved us first"?

Upvote 0