Do I have to sin?

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Now that I am saved do I have to sin because it is said, no one on this Earth is perfect. We are born in a sinning world and raised in sin. I now believe we were born to serve God, how can we not sin if we are saved? nameone

Because if you abide in Christ, then you do not sin. But see John is teaching about the new creation in Christ, your spirit is alive in Christ.
Those who are Christ's are joined one spirit with Him and in Him there is no sin.

But you do sin in the body, but the spirit and the body are not the same thing. There is a spirit and there is a body.

Romans 8
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christis in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

1 John 3
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Don't let this confuse you, there is the new man born of the Spirit, alive to Christ and God and it does not sin being created by God in righteousness and holiness.

Then there is the old man of the body of flesh and it does sin. And we must all give account to God at the judgement seat of Christ for the things done in our bodies, but the spirit is saved in the Day of the Lord Jesus. Remember He came to take away our sins, so for the Christian there is no more death.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because if you abide in Christ, then you do not sin.

Well, conisdering the fact that just about 100% of people who claim to be "saved Christians" still sin, that is not very good news.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
1 John 3:6
Whoever abides in Him does not sin. (saved people)

Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. (unsaved people)

Romans 11:27
For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”

If you abide in Christ, He, in the New Covenant has taken away your sins.
If you are a new creature in Christ in the New Covenant, then you abide in Christ and He abides in you and there is no sin, no sin at all in the Spirit where your spirit is joined to His Spirit as one.

1 Corinthians 6:17
But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
God does not join His Holy Spirit with sinful spirits. He transforms them into new creations in Christ where there is no sin and no sin can any longer separate us from that love of God. Christ put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself for US.

Hebrews 9:26
He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

To say exists sin there, your calling God and Christ and Holy Spirit and Scripture liars.
This is talking about our spiritual relationship with the Holy Spirit, our spirits and His Spirit, not the flesh of this body and mind which still can sin.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now that I am saved do I have to sin because it is said, no one on this Earth is perfect. We are born in a sinning world and raised in sin. I now believe we were born to serve God, how can we not sin if we are saved? nameone
It's a struggle; we will fall sometimes. But that is no reason for despair as long as we still desire to be holy because God's forgiveness of sin, and help to "go, and sin no more", are eternally at our disposal, drawing and encouraging and giving us reason to get back up and repent and keep fighting the good fight against sin; the message of the cross is nothing if not a glaringly loud statement, "I'm on your side". It is generally our own pride or laziness that obstructs this message and the work God desires to do in us. In any case this struggle is part of God's refining of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I said this
sdowney717 said:
"Because if you abide in Christ, then you do not sin."

You said this

1 John 3:6
Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

Jason why do you think God's words are bad news? Your testimony about scripture is bad fruit. Your understanding of scripture is corrupt and rotten.

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."
1 John 1:8 NIV

Please don't accuse me of thinking "God's word is bad news" and my understanding is "corrupt and rotten". It is obvious that everyone, including Christians sin. 1 John 1:8 makes that clear. It even says that to think otherwise is to "deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us". We all sin and continue to do so, even after we are saved. The difference is that as Christians, we dont want to sin. If we abide in Christ, we will not choose to deliberately sin with a complete disregard for the Lord's commandment.

So to take John 3:6 for face value and say that we "cannot sin if we abide in Christ" is disheartening because everyone, including Christians, continue to sin. So in essence, you are saying that nobody abides in Christ and thus nobody is truly saved! That is a statement i cannot disagree with more.

I have counseled numerous God fearing christians who struggle daily with their sin. Lust, inappropriate contentography, anger, drugs.... these are all problems that Christians struggle with on a daily basis.

Take a moment and read the parable of the pharases and the tax collector (Luke 18:9-4). When we believe in this notion that because we are saved, we cannot sin, pride begins to set in. And like the pharases, we will begin to think too highly of ourselves. However, it is the sinner who struggles everyday with their sin and are humble as a result. It is the prostitute, the drug addict, the inappropriate content addict....who will be blessed in the end because they hate their sin and are suffering in their attempts to please God.

Upvote 0

Question ?

Oct 3, 2016
Miami beach,Fla
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Saint Paul said,"not one is perfect" and Satan was a Angel and he sinned, his pride turned him from right to wrong? Why can't that happen to saved angels and people? After being saved we are at spiritual war from Satan. name-one

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Man's INNATE "sin nature" at birth is not TOTALLY erased at the SALVATION EVENT. His "sin nature" continues to manifest itself during the SANCTIFICATION PROCESS. The "old man" battles with the "new creature" in Christ.

SIN NATURE = the natural-born capacity and inclination to do / not do those things that can in no way
commend Man and his "works" to God....
This natural tendency is SPIRITUALLY is changed by the SALVATION / REDEMPTION EVENT, BUT it still rears its ugly head in the BODY / SOUL combo during the SANCTIFICATION PROCESS.

1 John 1...God Is Light, BUT BELIEVERS can continue to walk in the DARK
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light,
and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have FELLOWSHIP (no sin barrier!) with Him and yet walk in the darkness,
we lie and do not PRACTICE the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light (FOLLOW Jesus' example) as He Himself is in the Light,
we have fellowship with "one another" (BELIEVERS),
and the blood of Jesus His Son CLEANSES us from ALL sin.
8 If we (Believers after salvation) say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we CONFESS (agree with God about) our sins,
He is faithful and righteous to FORGIVE us our sins and to CLEANSE us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned,
we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Upvote 0