Do I have to be totally free of sin to retain my salvation?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Always fearing that you are non-elect because of the imperfection of your faith (and, like our works, our faith is always imperfect), is just the kind of thing that would prevent a person from rejoicing in the Lord always. In the Bible, the nation of Israel’s unique calling among the nations was election writ large. But notice that this was an election whose blessings did not exclude the non-elect nations, the Gentiles. The Church today finds herself in an analogous situation with regard to the world. Christians are a “kind of first fruits" (James 1:18) of redeemed humanity.

James says faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
We are saved by grace thru faith.
So if we have a dead faith, we cannot access the saving grace of God (Which is a free gift).
Also, the author of Hebrews says without holiness no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
James was written to the 12 tribes scattered abroad only, James 1:1, not to Gentiles (since Acts 28:28, everyone today is a Gentile in God's eyes).

All of the Sermon on the Mount is concerned with Israel in the tribulation. Christ's earthly ministry was 100% to Israel Matthew 10:5, Matthew 15:4, Romans 15:8, John 1:31.

Our Holiness is achieved only through the works of Christ, not through any of our works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
James was written to the 12 tribes scattered abroad only, James 1:1, not to Gentiles (since Acts 28:28, everyone today is a Gentile in God's eyes).

All of the Sermon on the Mount is concerned with Israel in the tribulation. Christ's earthly ministry was 100% to Israel Matthew 10:5, Matthew 15:4, Romans 15:8, John 1:31.

Our Holiness is achieved only through the works of Christ, not through any of our works.
Galatians though is written to the gentiles and Paul writes Christ redeems those under the law.

Galatians 4:4-5 “But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons”

Those born under the law you might think should be the Jews only, but no, it is also the gentiles, since God is God of both the Jews and the gentiles. If I follow your logic, James has no application today since it was written to the twelve tribes scattered abroad, but that would be an extreme interpretation dont you think?

Romans 3:29
Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also,

Galatians 3
Sons and Heirs
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

As we are considered now as one new man by the Lord, the Jew and the gentile, there is no longer Jew or gentile, but only a new creation in Christ. The Word given to James belongs to this new man in Christ, not just the 12 tribes. An apostle wrote to a targeted audience, but scripture is not limited just to them. The letters of Paul to the Corinthians, would they reject the letter to the Romans as having no use to them? Paul tells us we gentile believers are Abraham's seed so then true spiritual Jews chosen of God, the true sons of Abraham.

Ephesians 2
Brought Near by His Blood
11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands—12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Christ Our Peace
14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near.18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

Christ Our Cornerstone
19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is the idea of continuing in the faith, note v23

Colossians 1
21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight— 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

2 Timothy 2:12New King James Version (NKJV)
12 If we endure,
We shall also reign with Him.
If we deny Him,
He also will deny us.

Clearly those who depart the faith are unsaved antichrists, as l John 2 teaches.
Those who do not deny Christ but endure to the end, Christ says will be saved.

Matthew 24:13
But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
1 John 2
18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that theAntichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; butthey went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. 23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

Endure without denying Christ. Peter did deny Christ 3 times, yet since Peter was elect, Christ told Peter HE had interceded, prayed to God for Peter and that Peter would be turned back.
God is the one who grants repentance.
Christ is the one whoever lives to make intercession for His people.
If you remain steadfast in faith, with Christ interceding for you, then in heaven is your eternal reward and that is your destiny.

This is false.

God essentially told Cain that he had a choice to either do well or to sin (Genesis 4:7). God did not set it up so that Cain was going to refuse Him beyond Cain's free will choice. For if man does not have free will in regards to His salvation then it does not matter what we do and there would be no need for God to judge man (Because it was God who was the One who chooses some to be saved and others to be unsaved). Calvinists deny free will in regards to a person receiving Christ and in a person's walk with God. Eternal Security Proponents (Who are not Calvinists) deny free will only after a person accepts Christ. However, there are many warnings given to the believer to overcome and or to continue in his goodness with dire consequences to one's soul in not doing so. Revelation 3:5, Hebrews 10:26-29, Hebrews 10:38, Romans 11:21-22.

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
sdowney717,

In the Ephesian verses you quoted, Paul is talking about Gentiles now (judicially) and when God is all in all being 100% equal to Israel. From Abraham through Acts 28:28, Gentiles were never equal to Israel. Gentile salvation always came through Israel, whether by being a proselyte or by being grafted in. The prize for both Jewish and Gentile believers in Acts was the New Jerusalem, the Jewish city in the created heavens with the gates named after the 12 tribes of Israel and the foundations named after the 12 apostles of Israel. Our hope today, as clearly spelled out in Paul's 7 post-Acts epistles, especially Eph and Col, is to be resurrected into the uncreated abode of God in the uncreated heaven of heavens, where we are now hid in Christ who is hid in God - Colossians 3:3. No one else in the Bible has ever had that calling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No. The New Covenant began with Christ's death (Hebrews 9:15-17). That is why the temple veil was torn. The Old Testament animal sacrifices were no longer acceptable anymore.

Romans 10:12 says there is no difference between the Jews and the Gentiles. For Galatians 3:29 says if you are Christ's then you are Abraham's descendants and heirs according to the Promise. So James is not a book that is useless rubbish in your Bible. James is a book that applies to you as a believer today. Besides, even if you were to deny the book of James, the Bible states this truth elsewhere. Paul himself said that a person can deny Jesus by their lack of works and disobedience (Titus 1:16). Paul also essentially says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, he is proud and knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. Now, why would God be so moved about like the winds of the waves in regards to His behavior in relation to man's sin? The short answer is that He wouldn't be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
How do the sinlessly perfect people manage to follow "Love thy neighbor as thyself"? I love myself enough to pay my bills, buy myself food, pay my medical bill if I get sick, provide myself a house, provide myself clothes, and so on. To love everyone else just as much I'd have to sell everything I own and spend every dime I get from work providing for others.

James 2:10 says if we follow the whole law and fail at one point we are guilty of all, and James 4:17 says it's a sin to fail to do good.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do the sinlessly perfect people manage to follow "Love thy neighbor as thyself"? I love myself enough to pay my bills, buy myself food, pay my medical bill if I get sick, provide myself a house, provide myself clothes, and so on. To love everyone else just as much I'd have to sell everything I own and spend every dime I get from work providing for others.

James 2:10 says if we follow the whole law and fail at one point we are guilty of all, and James 4:17 says it's a sin to fail to do good.

Certain believers were allowed to own their own houses. I believe a disciple of Jesus is asked to do more. I believe being a disciple is every believer's eventual goal in Christ because Christ tells us to be ye perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect. Also, please actually read the book of James. Nowhere is James 2:10 used as an example so as not to obey God's laws. For one, that wouldn't even make any sense for God to approve of one of His followers to disobey Him. God is good and holy and He gives us commands to obey and not to disobey them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And just what does the blood of Jesus Christ cover, he was the atonement(payment) for sin(Romans 5:11). Always remember if you love another you do not and can not sin, for he that loves another has fulfilled the law(1 John 3:9 and Romans 13:8). That there is nothing for you or anyone else to sin against our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ abolished, blotted it out, and disannulled it. This is how/why he is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your quoting verses which are only for the church, not the people of the world.
What then about the people Jesus kills when He returns?
Luke 17
28 Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; 29 but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. 30 Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.

Destruction is death, you must not believe in hell?

Luke 19, the parable of the Minas, tells us what happen when Christ returns.

24 “And he said to those who stood by, ‘Take the mina from him, and give it to him who has ten minas.’ 25 (But they said to him, ‘Master, he has ten minas.’) 26 ‘For I say to you, that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 27 But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.’”

Jesus states in Luke 17:20-21 that "The kingdom of God cometh not with observation(you can not see it): Neither shall they say, Lo, here!, or lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. And in John 17:4 Jesus states " I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do"(does Jesus have to return to finish the work that God the Father gave him to do(No)? Also in the verses of John 16:10-11 Jesus states" Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince(devil) of this world is judged(past tense). Are we to see Jesus anymore? Not according to Jesus himself. Ephesians 2:1-" And you hath he quickened(brought to life), who were dead(slain-Luke 19:27) in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye(you) walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince(devil) of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lust of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ,(by grace ye are saved)". Romans 3:29-30 Tertius writes " Is he the God of the Jews(believers) only? is he not also of the Gentiles(the other people of the world/non-believers)? Yes, of the Gentiles also: Seeing it is one God, which shall(promise/inevitably) justify the circumcision by faith, and the uncircumcision through faith." "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all(every one) men"(Titus 2:11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No. The New Covenant began with Christ's death (Hebrews 9:15-17). That is why the temple veil was torn. The Old Testament animal sacrifices were no longer acceptable anymore.

Romans 10:12 says there is no difference between the Jews and the Gentiles. For Galatians 3:29 says if you are Christ's then you are Abraham's descendants and heirs according to the Promise. So James is not a book that is useless rubbish in your Bible. James is a book that applies to you as a believer today. Besides, even if you were to deny the book of James, the Bible states this truth elsewhere. Paul himself said that a person can deny Jesus by their lack of works and disobedience (Titus 1:16). Paul also essentially says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, he is proud and knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. Now, why would God be so moved about like the winds of the waves in regards to His behavior in relation to man's sin? The short answer is that He wouldn't be.

Israel's New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31) did come in at or about Pentecost (as evidenced by the gifts of the Spirit) but phased out in Acts 28:28, when Israel temporarily became "not God's people" and the salvation of God was taken from them and sent to the Gentiles. Since the nation of Israel does not exist today, in God's eyes, the other things belonging exclusively to Israel (New Covenant and the Gifts of the Spirit, etc) also have temporarily ceased to exist in this parenthetical 2000 years long age that we live in. All of Israel will be back on the scene for the tribulation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Israel's New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31) did come in at or about Pentecost (as evidenced by the gifts of the Spirit) but phased out in Acts 28:28, when Israel temporarily became "not God's people" and the salvation of God was taken from them and sent to the Gentiles. Since the nation of Israel does not exist today, in God's eyes, the other things belonging exclusively to Israel (New Covenant and the Gifts of the Spirit, etc) also have temporarily ceased to exist in this parenthetical 2000 years long age that we live in. All of Israel will be back on the scene for the tribulation.

Acts 13, has the gentiles preached to and also believing. So do not make a doctrine on Acts 28 being a turning point of destiny for Israel.
Israel also was not believing in Christ and it says they could not believe in Him to fulfill the scriptures as God had so spoken of them in John 12 during the days of Christ on the earth. What happens is similar to the Isaiah 6:9-10 scriptures in John 12, however the few elect among them did believe, as also the elect among the gentiles did believe.

God did not just give up on converting any jews at Acts 28. This was predetermined that the gospel went out to the entire earth, to the gentiles, yet still only the elect of both Jew and Gentile ever did or will believe and be saved.

Acts 13
48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us:

‘I have set you as a light to the Gentiles,
That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.’”

48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

49 And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region.50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. 51 But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Romans 11
7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 8 Just as it is written:

“God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day.”

John 12
Who Has Believed Our Report?
37 But although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him, 38 that the word of Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spoke:

“Lord, who has believed our report?
And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

39 Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again:

40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts,
Lest they should see with their eyes,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.”

41 These things Isaiah said when he saw His glory and spoke of Him.

God blinded Israel deliberately according to His purpose and will so that it says, they could not believe in Christ.
Coming to God through Christ is by divine appointment alone, that is His will, so that no flesh can glory in His presence but only depend on His mercy and compassion. Many christians I think do not believe this, but rather believe in mankind's free will destiny. But obviously here for Israel, there was no freedom of the will to believe in Christ as God had blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts against believeing in Jesus Christ, and so they were most of them not saved.

Romans 11
7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

That would be the elect Jews and the elect Gentiles did obtain salvation with the rest of all people everywhere being judiciously blinded and having their hearts hardened by God according to His purpose and will.

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Acts 13, has the gentiles preached to and also believing. So do not make a doctrine on Acts 28 being a turning point of destiny for Israel.
Israel also was not believing in Christ and it says they could not believe in Him to fulfill the scriptures as God had so spoken of them in John 12 during the days of Christ on the earth. What happens is similar to the Isaiah 6:9-10 scriptures in John 12, however the few elect among them did believe, as also the elect among the gentiles did believe.

God did not just give up on converting any jews at Acts 28. This was predetermined that the gospel went out to the entire earth, to the gentiles, yet still only the elect of both Jew and Gentile ever did or will believe and be saved.

Acts 13
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us:

‘I have set you as a light to the Gentiles,
That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.’”

49 And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region.50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. 51 But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Romans 11
7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 8 Just as it is written:

“God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day.”

John 12
Who Has Believed Our Report?
37 But although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him, 38 that the word of Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spoke:

“Lord, who has believed our report?
And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

39 Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again:

40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts,
Lest they should see with their eyes,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.”

41 These things Isaiah said when he saw His glory and spoke of Him.

God blinded Israel deliberately according to His purpose and will so that it says, they could not believe in Christ.
Coming to God through Christ is by divine appointment alone, that is His will, so that no flesh can glory in His presence but only depend on His mercy and compassion. Many christians I think do not believe this, but rather believe in mankind's free will destiny. But obviously here for Israel, there was no freedom of the will to believe in Christ as God had blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts against believeing in Jesus Christ, and so they were most of them not saved.

Romans 11
7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

That would be the elect Jews and the elect Gentiles did obtain salvation with the rest of all people everywhere being judiciously blinded and having their hearts hardened by God according to His purpose and will.
Mid-Acts dispensationalist? No matter how much they were failing earlier, I have been convinced for 30 years that the final hammer fell on Israel at Acts 28:28. You mentioned the curse of Isaiah 6:9-10 being uttered in John 12. It was also in Romans 11:8. It was uttered for the 7th and last time (7 is the number of completion) in the Bible in Acts 28:25-27, right before Acts 28:28. I could list about 50 more scriptural reasons why Israel became Lo-ammi in Ac28:28.

We could argue about "when" until the cows come home. Actually, it makes no difference to us today. Today, there is no Israel, in God's eyes. Therefore, since the New Covenant belongs only to Israel and those Gentiles grafted in during Acts, the is no New Covenant today. Therefore, since the gifts are part of the NC, there are no Gifts today. Today's church is 100% Gentile and the only books of the Bible that are written directly to us today are Paul's last 7 books - Eph, Phil, Col, 1&2 Tim, Titus, and Philemon. Our calling of the uncreated Far above all Heavens only exists in those 7 books. The Jewish callings of the earth and the New Jerusalem (in the created heavens) in the epistles written during Acts have absolutely nothing to do with us today. The "rapture" in Thess and Cor has nothing to do with us. Our "rapture" is the "appearing" in Paul's post-Acts books - Colossians 3:4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Mid-Acts dispensationalist? No matter how much they were failing earlier, I have been convinced for 30 years that the final hammer fell on Israel at Acts 28:28. You mentioned the curse of Isaiah 6:9-10 being uttered in John 12. It was also in Romans 11:8. It was uttered for the 7th and last time (7 is the number of completion) in the Bible in Acts 28:25-27, right before Acts 28:28. I could list about 50 more scriptural reasons why Israel became Lo-ammi in Ac28:28.

We could argue about "when" until the cows come home. Actually, it makes no difference to us today. Today, there is no Israel, in God's eyes. Therefore, since the New Covenant belongs only to Israel and those Gentiles grafted in during Acts, the is no New Covenant today. Therefore, since the gifts are part of the NC, there are no Gifts today. Today's church is 100% Gentile and the only books of the Bible that are written directly to us today are Paul's last 7 books - Eph, Phil, Col, 1&2 Tim, Titus, and Philemon. Our calling of the uncreated Far above all Heavens only exists in those 7 books. The Jewish callings of the earth and the New Jerusalem (in the created heavens) in the epistles written during Acts have absolutely nothing to do with us today. The "rapture" in Thess and Cor has nothing to do with us. Our "rapture" is the "appearing" in Paul's post-Acts books - Colossians 3:4.

Acts 13 uses the same terminology as Acts 28 in they say they are sent to the gentiles, so don't make a significant doctrine of Acts 28.

I think you missed God's calling of the foreknown elect of both Jew and gentile in your understanding of these things as said in v24 for the vessels of mercy who obtain His salvation?

Romans 9
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
sdowney717,

In Acts and in all of Paul's epistles written during Acts, the ultimate calling was the New Jerusalem, that Heavenly city that is found in the created Heavens (Gal, Heb, and Rev). In all of Paul's 7 post-Acts epistles, the only calling available to us is the UNcreated Far Above All Heavens, where Christ now sitteth at the right hand of God. These 2 callings are 100% totally different and there is zero mixing of them in either group of Paul's epistles. It's one or the other.

Can you see the Above-Heavenly calling in Paul's post-Acts books?

What is your calling?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
sdowney717,

In Acts and in all of Paul's epistles written during Acts, the ultimate calling was the New Jerusalem, that Heavenly city that is found in the created Heavens (Gal, Heb, and Rev). In Paul's 7 post-Acts epistles, the only calling available is the UNcreated Far Above All Heavens, where Christ now sitteth at the right hand of God. These 2 callings are 100% totally different and there is zero mixing of them in either group of Paul's epistles. It's one or the other. Can you see this?

What is your calling?

In this specific verse, God's calling is what occurs before their salvation.
It is the same calling as Jude 1, to those who are called of Jesus Christ who are then saved.

JudeNew King James Version (NKJV)
Greeting to the Called
1 Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,

To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

2 Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.

AND
Romans 1

5 Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,
6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;
7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

All those called of God, God will glorify. The ultimate end is of course, God dwelling with man in the New Jerusalem come down onto a New earth. But to be called of God, means our being chosen of God to be of those saved, called of Jesus Christ to be His saints. We live today in a time before that experience of the New Heavens and New Earth. Peter said we look forward to this, so it is not yet that time, has not yet happened, is future.

2 Peter 3
The Day of the Lord
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Be Steadfast
14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Romans 11:32 " For God hath(has) concluded them all(Jew/believer/circumcised and Gentile/Pagan/non-believer/uncircumcised) in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all". "For there is neither Jew nor Greek(Gentile), there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus"(Galatians 3:28).

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
In Romans 11:32 " For God hath(has) concluded them all(Jew/believer/circumcised and Gentile/Pagan/non-believer/uncircumcised) in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all". "For there is neither Jew nor Greek(Gentile), there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus"(Galatians 3:28).
The gist of that is since God has concluded all people everywhere into disobedience, then it is His choice to then show mercy on them.
'Might have mercy' leaves the mercy decision upon Himself. This no guarantee of mercy since God tells Moses this in Romans 9 saying

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.”16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh,“For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

Who He wills He hardens and on others, whom He wills HE softens. If He is merciful, then it points you to being given a heart of flesh, so then a living heart, moldable, one to be conformed to Christ, becoming saved. If hardened, that points you to having a heart of stone, a dead heart, being cast out, or kept away from knowing the Truth.

Proof of that follows on in the text

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gist of that is since God has concluded all people everywhere into disobedience, then it is His choice to then show mercy on them.
'Might have mercy' leaves the mercy decision upon Himself. This no guarantee of mercy since God tells Moses this in Romans 9 saying

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.”16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh,“For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

Who He wills He hardens and on others, whom He wills HE softens. If He is merciful, then it points you to being given a heart of flesh, so then a living heart, moldable, one to be conformed to Christ, becoming saved.
"Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart"(2 Corinthians 3:3).

If hardened, that points you to having a heart of stone, a dead heart, being cast out, or kept away from knowing the Truth.
And what where the 10 commandments on, tables of stone?

Proof of that follows on in the text

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
"Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression"(Romans 4:15).

23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
Who did the Lord call? "But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches"(1 Corinthians 7:17).
"For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shown no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment" (James 2:13). Do you think he is speaking of the devil(that hath shown no mercy) in James 2:13? Have a blessed day.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
"For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shown no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment" (James 2:13). Do you think he is speaking of the devil(that hath shown no mercy) in James 2:13? Have a blessed day.
Certainly the devil shows no mercy to anyone, since by his fallen nature, cannot be anything except what he is as Jesus described him a murderer, a liar, the father of lies, so receives no mercy from God. But it is not of angels who receive mercy from God, only human beings. So that verse is directed towards people.

Mercy triumphs over judgement, means God's mercy saving people is more glorious than the ministry of condemnation.

God's people are merciful as is God merciful, but God is greater than our hearts and knows all things.
Scripture says, Galatians 6:10
Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

We are to be merciful as we find opportunity, it does say do good to those who despitefully use you.
Examples of God's people being merciful is shown at the judgement of the sheep from the goats.

Matthew 25:31-46New King James Version (NKJV)
The Son of Man Will Judge the Nations
31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did itto one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Upvote 0