Do guns kill people, or people kill with guns?

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can't understand why newscasters constantly say a person was killed by a gun. No it's a person who used a gun to kill someone. Every time someone calls for gun control they never explain what they mean by that statement.
Background checks are a must especially for gun and knife shows. Having laws that allow buyers of guns and rifles at gun shows without background checks should be illegal in all states. Permitting people to buy guns and rifles without background checks is stupid and thoughtless. Those demanding gun control, that I have heard seldom, if ever, mention those gun shows.
My opinion is that gun and knife shows are a huge loop hole for gun stores and people to by pass the law of mandatory background checks when gun stores sell guns and rifles. I have never heard of requiring people selling their personal gun or rifle to someone else to file a report to some authority. That might be an acceptable idea for some.
If the Liberal thinkers of our government continue to push for more restrictive gun control laws, and require everyone to register their gun or rifle, what would you do?

Krissy Cakes

Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Aug 5, 2008
Idaho
✟69,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guns don't kill people as they can't do it on their own. You need a handler and which people think its alright to kill someone. So people kill with guns and if anyone thinks the other way they need to learn more about guns.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟310,184.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Guns make it so easy to kill people any idiot with a gun could do it if they get angry.

So while people kill people, people kill people with guns significantly more easily than without them.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If the Liberal thinkers of our government continue to push for more restrictive gun control laws, and require everyone to register their gun or rifle, what would you do?

This is the question I was referring to.

After the new laws in New York and New Jersey, many people were required to register their previously-unregistered guns; most have not done so.

CF has a rule against advocating any illegal activity...

Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, people kill people. They do it with guns, bombs, knives, tbare hands, poison, hammers... you get the idea. Yes there should be background check and that might prevent some unsuitables getting one
Other hand is if someone really wants one they'll get it. I understand the sheer number of people killed by guns in one instance..gone, dead.. Sometimes I think just give everyone a gun. Good for home protections ...you've heard it all before
Still and all i believe people kill people

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟296,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Guns make it so easy to kill people any idiot with a gun could do it if they get angry.

So while people kill people, people kill people with guns significantly more easily than without them.

What's the number one murder weapon in the UK?

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟296,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I give up. What?

It wasn't a trick question, nor was the question addressed to US citizens. It was addressed to a poster who lives in the UK, and it was an honest question. So, leave it alone and let the poster I was addressing it to, (the one who lives in the UK), answer the question. Thanks.

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟220,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's the number one murder weapon in the UK?

The US murder rate is now down to 3.8 per 100,000 per year, the UK rate is 1 per 100,000 per year, so I guess the answer is that compared with the US, most of the people that got killed in the US didn't get killed in the UK at all.

Upvote 0

havevisions

Dec 24, 2010
Southwest Virginia
✟47,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a complicated issue. There are no easy answers.
I believe in the 2nd amendment.
Are you asking what is the most likely weapon with which people are killed?
Its silly to ask whether the gun kills or the person who uses it kills. Now if you're asking what is the most common motive for using a gun to kill another, (because no one knows really) then we would be in this thread from now on.

Roughly, the number of guns in America is about as many as ONE per person! (if they were spread out equally) As a defense against robberies, think of this: "only the tiniest fraction of victims of violent crime are able to use a gun in their defense. Over the period from 2007-2011, when roughly six million nonfatal violent crimes occurred each year, data from the National Crime Victimization Survey show that the victim did not defend with a gun in 99.2% of these incidents" http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/opinions/us-guns-evidence/ So guns are not used primarily for protection, it seems.

I'm not myself a gun owner. I've lived to this age, thankfully, having never had a use for one.

Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MorkandMindy

Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟220,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It certainly is a complicated issue, no magic wand exists to turn a nation stuffed with guns into a nation largely without, a big point of contention is whether it gets more dangerous or safer in the transition from one to the other. Fortunately the evidence is it gets safer.

Then there are those totally law abiding citizens who want to use hand guns to over turn the government and the economic system and survive a few months out in the middle of nowhere. Well hand guns just don't work against government authorities in helicopters or on roof tops. That's why Russia permits hand guns but no long guns. That attitude is neither right nor effective.

Part of it is psychology, the need to feel in control. They believe if someone points a gun at them they could pull out their gun and shoot the person. Wrong. The person who draws first has an advantage and instinct takes over so the person who choose after a moment's thought to pull out a gun has a huge advantage over the one who responds out of fear, who is guaranteed to freeze long enough to be killed.

The NRA members are aware of all this so 74pc even of NRA members support background checks for every gun purchase. The problem is the gun makers don't. The more shootings there are the more money they make.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It certainly is a complicated issue, no magic wand exists to turn a nation stuffed with guns into a nation largely without, a big point of contention is whether it gets more dangerous or safer in the transition from one to the other. Fortunately the evidence is it gets safer.

Then there are those totally law abiding citizens who want to use hand guns to over turn the government and the economic system and survive a few months out in the middle of nowhere. Well hand guns just don't work against government authorities in helicopters or on roof tops. That's why Russia permits hand guns but no long guns. That attitude is neither right nor effective.

Part of it is psychology, the need to feel in control. They believe if someone points a gun at them they could pull out their gun and shoot the person. Wrong. The person who draws first has an advantage and instinct takes over so the person who choose after a moment's thought to pull out a gun has a huge advantage over the one who responds out of fear, who is guaranteed to freeze long enough to be killed.

The NRA members are aware of all this so 74pc even of NRA members support background checks for every gun purchase. The problem is the gun makers don't. The more shootings there are the more money they make.

I think the statement "The more shootings there are the more money they make." I think that is a rather wide statement. Could you please explain how you think that works? Are there enough shootings to make such a difference that gun manufacturers have to produce more guns to keep up with the guns confiscated by the police?

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟220,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's ask someone from the UK.

I'm from the UK, moved here 1 year ago well aware that the murder rate here is high, but unable to survive the business stupidity in England, fortunately the stupidity over here is among the right wing Christian gun slinging weirdos and is largely optional.

us v uk homicides.jpg

Well as some US Christian informed me, when the guns are taken away, the murders are done without guns. But there are not only fewer gun killings but other killings as well. The data suggests that having the means to kill right at hand makes it far more likely to be used.

It could be argued that very few people have stolen a million dollars, and that it would be fine to leave a million dollars in the home of every person who has not been convicted of theft, and then allowing the no background checks situation, leave a million in the homes of most thieves as well.

availability does increase likelihood

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So guns are not used primarily for protection, it seems.

For me personally, this is my biggest confusion with the guns debate. People seem to think that if someone is coming at you with a gun, you have time to pull out your own gun and defend yourself, your family and your property. But, if the guy coming towards you already has a gun out, chances are, its already too late.

I know some pro-gun folks who use the "protection" argument all the time. But they keep their guns locked in a safe! If someone was truly bent on harming you, your family or your property, they would not politely wait while you keyed in the safe combo to get your gun.

I generally don't really care whether people have guns or not, but I personally will never understand the logic. The only reason I understand having a gun is if you live on a farm/ranch/acreage and you need it as a tool or if you hunt for food.

Upvote 0