Do evolutionists really understand the complexity of things?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The living world is so complex and interdependent that it is almost impossible to frame coherent questions about it. When asked science presents simple answers that can't begin to address these complexities. Perhaps the only answer is indeed that we were "fearfully and wonderfully made", by God. Psalm 139:14

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The living world is so complex and interdependent that it is almost impossible to frame coherent questions about it. When asked science presents simple answers that can't begin to address these complexities. Perhaps the only answer is indeed that we were "fearfully and wonderfully made", by God. Psalm 139:14
Not buying it.

We have learned an incredible amount of useful and durable knowledge about the biological world.

We may be in the early days of systems-knowledge right now. But every solid body of knowledge had it "early days".

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Idunno. Every time I look into any particular aspect of our natural world, I'm always amazed at how much we do know. And our understanding of the natural world is increasing at exponential rates.

Glass half full, I guess.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The living world is so complex and interdependent that it is almost impossible to frame coherent questions about it.

That's plainly ridiculous. We can, and do, ask and answer questions about life all the time. I'm tangentially engaged in research at the moment about why one particular type of cancer is so prevalent in Tasmania. A friend is researching the venom of the platypus. Another is investigating the effects of elevation on the micron of sheep's wool. All of these ask questions about the living world and seek to answer them.

When asked science presents simple answers that can't begin to address these complexities.

Not quite. The scientific method requires only addressing one problem at a time. It doesn't deal in complexities, it deals in breaking down high level intricate problems into hundreds or thousands of simpler and more direct problems and answering them. When it has enough weight of evidence, then it recombines all those simple answers to answer the complex problem.

Perhaps the only answer is indeed that we were "fearfully and wonderfully made", by God. Psalm 139:14

Perhaps the only answer is that the first living being was P’an Ku, who grew for 18,000 years inside a cosmic egg. Certainly, there is as much evidence for this assertion as there is for the Biblical claim.

I think that you've given up on pursuing intellectual answers about the natural world and are just willing to settle for 'Goddidit'.

I also think that I am very grateful that millions of others that came before us, and millions of others that are alive now, are not satisfied with throwing theirs hands up and declaring "its all too complicated clearly we cant address it".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
We are indeed fearfully and wonderfully made. But complexity as it applies to molecular biology is a mathematical concept, not merely an expression of incredulity. It is a rare creationist who attempts to criticize evolution from a mathematical standpoint and those who have tried--notably William Dembski and Werner Gitt--have failed.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,997.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yeah, here's one of those simplisitc scientific explanations. This is the explanation for photosynthesis. How child-like it is. Looks like a toddler's scribbles...

photosynthesis_fulton_diagram.png

On the other hand, here's the wonderfully detailed religious explanation, which answers any and all questions and provides a complete and perfect understanding:

"Goddidit."

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist

Argument from Incredulity.

Not very impressive or helpful.......

Upvote 0

MasonP

Sep 11, 2016
United Kingdom
✟16,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's the mantra of ignorance, I can't understand how it all came about therefor a God must have done it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's the mantra of ignorance, I can't understand how it all came about therefor a God must have done it.
You guys work hard not to understand.

Even if you have to pluto critical terminology to keep yourselves ignorant.

Example: "miracle" to "magic" and "created" to "poofed."

You want the Bible out of school, the Ten Commandments off the lawn, and MERRY CHRISTMAS plutoed to SEASONS GREETINGS and/or HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Then you claim you don't understand anything.

You work hard to find natural causes for the weather; then when someone suggests a particular storm might have been sent from God, you guys go 404.

You pluto "child" to "fetus," then wonder why people believe in the sanctity of life.

Just another day at the lab, eh?

All in a day's work.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, here's one of those simplisitc scientific explanations. This is the explanation for photosynthesis. How child-like it is. Looks like a toddler's scribbles...

photosynthesis_fulton_diagram.png

On the other hand, here's the wonderfully detailed religious explanation, which answers any and all questions and provides a complete and perfect understanding:

"Goddidit."

Both are (may be) true.

Your diagram, maybe.
Goddidit, definitely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Point out anything I said that isn't true (not anything you don't believe).

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Point out anything I said that isn't true (not anything you don't believe).
"When asked science presents simple answers that can't begin to address these complexities."

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are not doing a good job at showing that you argument is purely an argument from incredulity.

Read the OP again. I didn't present an argument, just an observation, and of course an opinion.

I love science and all that it does. I jump ship when they conclude that this incredible living apparatus constructed itself by trial and error. I believe it was carefully planned and brought into being for a purpose by an outside force, aka God. So I agree with all the valid science that has ever been done. It's the 'causal' element that I disagree with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0