Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only fear one should have is dying WITHOUT the Savior in their life and heart. If one has not been "born again" by the indwelling and sealing of the Holy Spirit that one has EVERY reason to be afraid of dying. Without confessing and trusting the Lord Jesus as personal Savior and Lord of one's life they will have no access to God (except as Judge when they leave this world). One ought to get serious today about salvation, and John 3 and John 14 lays out the whole picture of faith in Jesus, the Christ of God.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think most Christians look forward to the next phase of life but fear the transition. Dying is not a fun thing for most and living is not unpleasant for the vast majority of Christians. Eternal life will be eternal while this life is very short so there is no real reason to rush out of it especially when one knows the suffering that acccompanies the transition. Ecc 3 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

I think we as CHristians should look upon dying as a birth. A birth into what we've lived for on earth and fulfillment of the anticipation to be with the Creator of our Souls and Universe : Jesus . A bit of physical pain at the very end of earthly life is only a minor inconvenience and ill bet it will soon be forgotton once we are in the family of God for eternity and see the glory of God.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we as CHristians should look upon dying as a birth. A birth into what we've lived for on earth and fulfillment of the anticipation to be with the Creator of our Souls and Universe : Jesus . A bit of physical pain at the very end of earthly life is only a minor inconvenience and ill bet it will soon be forgotton once we are in the family of God for eternity and see the glory of God.

Yet we even fear a visit to the dentist office. We're human, we just want to avoid pain. We don't often accept it willingly, not even a little bit of it that will lead to something better. Being a christian does not makes us different from the rest of the population it just gives us a different perspective.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I apologize if this question offends– I'm only curious. If this world is a valley of tears, a transient state of sin and suffering, and the afterlife is a state of eternal bliss in the company of our creator and the source of all good in the universe, then why cling to our present existence? Shouldn't we be eager to knock off as soon as possible? I understand that suicide is considered a sin, so I understand why Christians aren't leaping off cliffs, but shouldn't an excited anticipation of passage into an infinitely superior afterlife be part of the Christian experience?
I am content to be alive for as long as I can be, because of the love i have for my family. Why would I be in a hurry to depart from them?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I am content to be alive for as long as I can be, because of the love i have for my family. Why would I be in a hurry to depart from them?
It's supposed to be because of the love you have for Christ, otherwise you Idolize your family, Christ said anyone who has more affection for their family, is not worthy of him...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's supposed to be because of the love you have for Christ, otherwise you Idolize your family, Christ said anyone who has more affection for their family, is not worthy of him...

God Bless!

Hetta is most likely capable of loving both Christ and her family simultaneously. Loving Christ does not preclude loving others and being in a loving relationship with Christ does not have to wait on the afterlife..

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hetta is most likely capable of loving both Christ and her family simultaneously. Loving Christ does not preclude loving others and being in a loving relationship with Christ does not have to wait on the afterlife..
Doesn't change what Christ said about having more affection for him over any of their family or friends, He should be our first love, sadly if your like me you don't learn this until your children are grown, your wife divorces you, and the rest of your family rejects you over a mental disorder, all I am left with is Christ now, so, it's much easier to put love for him first now, but I oftentimes wondered if I had have put Christ first in the first place, if things would have gone differently...

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I quite enjoy life actually, I'm in no hurry to pass on. Yet that is God's call, not mine. I don't think any serious or mature Christian is really itching for death, and we certainly aren't called to do so.

I don't even know that I will inherit the kingdom of God, life involves walking a path that leads there by God's grace, and there is still so much sin in my life. I am not presumptuous enough to claim I know what my destiny will be with certainty. As scripture says, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Rather than focusing on death I'm more concerned with how to be more Christ-like in this life. If that is our focus, the afterlife will take care of itself.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I apologize if this question offends– I'm only curious. If this world is a valley of tears, a transient state of sin and suffering, and the afterlife is a state of eternal bliss in the company of our creator and the source of all good in the universe, then why cling to our present existence? Shouldn't we be eager to knock off as soon as possible? I understand that suicide is considered a sin, so I understand why Christians aren't leaping off cliffs, but shouldn't an excited anticipation of passage into an infinitely superior afterlife be part of the Christian experience?

Some Christians might not fear death, some might. What is not feared is the afterlife.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
How about you? Where do stand? Or as a "Seeker" are you too timid to take a stand?

Upvote 0

directory

Aug 3, 2015
✟7,867.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How about you? Where do stand? Or as a "Seeker" are you too timid to take a stand?
Of course I'm too timid to take a stand. By definition, I live in a state of uncertainty and helpless doubt. I don't know how I'd feel if I felt certain that Christianity was true and that I was bound for Heaven, although I'd certainly anticipate it greatly.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of course I'm too timid to take a stand. By definition, I live in a state of uncertainty and helpless doubt. I don't know how I'd feel if I felt certain that Christianity was true and that I was bound for Heaven, although I'd certainly anticipate it greatly.
Why do you want to continue to live this way?

The gift of salvation is there for ALL who come to Jesus Christ who died for our sins. Through Him you can know your eternal destiny.

Why wonder?

Upvote 0

directory

Aug 3, 2015
✟7,867.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why do you want to continue to live this way?

The gift of salvation is there for ALL who come to Jesus Christ who died for our sins. Through Him you can know your eternal destiny.

Why wonder?
I want the gift of salvation so badly, but I'm still teaching myself how to ask for it. I pray often. I ask, seek, and knock, and wait patiently to receive the gift, but the time hasn't come yet. In the mean time, what choice do I have but to live in uncertainty?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have a Klingon point of view, prepared for death at any moment, Worf said, "we Klingon's do not mourn the loss of the body, we "celebrate" the releasing of the Spirit, another Klingon warrior has entered into the afterlife...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I want the gift of salvation so badly, but I'm still teaching myself how to ask for it. I pray often. I ask, seek, and knock, and wait patiently to receive the gift, but the time hasn't come yet. In the mean time, what choice do I have but to live in uncertainty?
There is no teaching involved.

By faith you are saved through the finished work of Jesus Christ and His death on the cross. He lived free from sin to be the Father's atonement for the sin of all mankind. Belief in this finished work of Christ and faith is what you need to be saved.

What 'gift' are you referring to?

Humble yourself before God and call on Him to save you from your sins.

Upvote 0