Do Christians look forward to death?

directory

Aug 3, 2015
✟7,867.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I apologize if this question offends– I'm only curious. If this world is a valley of tears, a transient state of sin and suffering, and the afterlife is a state of eternal bliss in the company of our creator and the source of all good in the universe, then why cling to our present existence? Shouldn't we be eager to knock off as soon as possible? I understand that suicide is considered a sin, so I understand why Christians aren't leaping off cliffs, but shouldn't an excited anticipation of passage into an infinitely superior afterlife be part of the Christian experience?

Reactions: alisonm328

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I apologize if this question offends– I'm only curious. If this world is a valley of tears, a transient state of sin and suffering, and the afterlife is a state of eternal bliss in the company of our creator and the source of all good in the universe, then why cling to our present existence? Shouldn't we be eager to knock off as soon as possible? I understand that suicide is considered a sin, so I understand why Christians aren't leaping off cliffs, but shouldn't an excited anticipation of passage into an infinitely superior afterlife be part of the Christian experience?
Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

What do you think this means:

"Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

.. Do you think that Jesus was not just as eager to serve His time on earth, and to return to His father's house?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Well, this world is not always a "valley of tears, a transient state of sin and suffering." In fact, there are many pleasant moments to be had living in this world. And we are able to serve our God here and witness His redeeming and transforming work in the lives of others. So, this present life is not all unmitigated misery.

Should we be eager to "knock off as soon as possible"? Paul the apostle seemed to have this attitude:

Philippians 1:21-23
21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.
23 For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.

Paul loved Christ and wanted above all things to be with him. The afterlife was a pleasing prospect because of who Paul would meet there, not merely because the hardships of his life would end. I wonder how many Christians look eagerly forward to meeting their Saviour and how many are more enthused about golden streets, meeting lost relatives, and endless pleasant living.

Selah.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I look forward to internet trolls' deaths.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Youre right. Christians who know why they are going to heaven after death, should be anticipating it with joy. The Bible says that God hasn't given us a spirit of fear regarding death but to have a sound mind about it. The thing which gets to us is leaving our loved ones behind , not being able to care for elderly parents, siblings, friends, etc.... The experience itself of entering into eternity the first few seconds after physical death is going to feel strange and somewhat awkward but only for a very short time, till we adjust. And adjust we will do very quickly . Christians cant loose either way whether we stay on earth to love and worship God or in his direct presence. Not so for the Unbeliever ; ive had loads of opportunities to be at the bedside of dying Unbelievers and there is no hope, no joy, only fear and fighting emotionally to try and prevent dying from happening. Its a wonderful thing to stare death in the face with a smile knowing Jesus is on the other side . This happened to me recently with getting stage 4 colon cancer which spread to my liver. Only 15% survive this. But Gods will it looks like, is to keep me around here longer as the cancer is drastically reduced , has not spread, and side effects from chemo drugs aren't too bad. But for awhile, I was in that state of 'take me if you want Lord but I prefer to stay here to look after my elderly Mom' . Ive never embraced the idea of death to the extent I have and ive never experienced Gods mercy and love to the same extent.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think most Christians look forward to the next phase of life but fear the transition. Dying is not a fun thing for most and living is not unpleasant for the vast majority of Christians. Eternal life will be eternal while this life is very short so there is no real reason to rush out of it especially when one knows the suffering that acccompanies the transition. Ecc 3 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Because looking at salvation as a blissful escape from the world through death is a fundamentally wrong way of looking at salvation and the entire Christian paradigm.

Christians confess that the Word became flesh, Jesus Christ, having come to save the world--to renew, restore, and redeem all creation. And our hope is not a place called "heaven" to dwell as disembodied ghosts strumming harps, but is instead the renewal and restoration of all things--a new heavens and a new earth, the resurrection of the dead, etc.

Christianity is not about escape from the world; but about the salvation and transformation of the world through and on account of Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Because looking at salvation as a blissful escape from the world through death is a fundamentally wrong way of looking at salvation and the entire Christian paradigm.

Christians confess that the Word became flesh, Jesus Christ, having come to save the world--to renew, restore, and redeem all creation. And our hope is not a place called "heaven" to dwell as disembodied ghosts strumming harps, but is instead the renewal and restoration of all things--a new heavens and a new earth, the resurrection of the dead, etc.

Christianity is not about escape from the world; but about the salvation and transformation of the world through and on account of Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

^This!

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You might look at it like you have Jesus either way. I kind of see it that way. Through prayer, worship and fellowship, we have access to God 24/7. That is the beauty of the New Covenant of Jesus blood on the cross. We have God with us.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Christians do not 'look forward' to death. Death is a curse. Death is the result of sin (Romans 5:12). For the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). But all Christians should be looking forward to Jesus' return (2 Timothy 4:8).

Upvote 0

alisonm328

Jan 30, 2015
So
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im surprised to see so many answers saying they are ok here. I have NEVER felt content in this world and have always known deep inside that i longed for more than this world could ever offer me. I know i belong with my creator and with him is my true home. I feel an ache in my heart every minute of every day to finally get to be with him and eternally in his presence!!! His presence is true life. This life here is not true life.

I wish for death all the time and tell God constantly how much i cant wait to come home! Id gladly jump off a cliff if this body were my own but its not. I was bought for a price. Paul definitely understands me!!

2 Corinthians 5:4-8
For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. Because we live by faith and not by sight. We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.”

Last edited:
Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, Matthew 9:37-38, Luke 17:33, Luke 19:11-27, Matthew 13:24-30. These verses really do show that life in this world is highly contended between one's own desire to enjoy it as much as possible, and God's desire to gain good produce from it. This contention is a very real thing and was there since the human was first tempted by it. I really like posts #10 and #15 a lot!

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, Matthew 9:37-38, Luke 17:33, Luke 19:11-27, Matthew 13:24-30. These verses really do show that life in this world is highly contended between one's own desire to enjoy it as much as possible, and God's desire to gain good produce from it. This contention is a very real thing and was there since the human was first tempted by it. I really like posts #10 and #15 a lot!
@directory - if you are still with us here, I have noticed another passage as your topic was on my mind, and I thought, probably for you, it could provide a valuable insight in conjunction with the passages I listed here, to consider why Luke 15:10 says there is joy among the angels in heaven when a sinner repents. Probably if you take a look at the verses surrounding that one, you will see why this is, because the back story to their situation supposes that they have chosen to remain loyal to God, being confident that He is right that the humans can be brought to salvation and thereby redeem the world from sin. You can see in that context, especially with Ecclesiastes 9:6, that every sinner who repents has an immediate impact on the propagation of righteousness in the world, proving that they have been right to support us. I can imagine their joy when I think of that.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I look forward to the "shout" when the Lord comes "in the air" to receive up His Bride (and as one has said: "I don't look for the undertaker, but the uppertaker"); and until then it is good to be taken home to the Lord anytime He pleases ---though I surely do not want my family to hurt. Though they all know that it is "far better" as the Apostle says to "...be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (2 Cor. 5:8).

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Jesus took the sting out of physical death . Im not afraid of physically dying because it is the start of eternity with God....how great that will be. It is our culture that has made dying out to be highly ugly , filled with anxiety , something to be avoided , fearful , etc..... its only scary to those who don't know where they are going after death . People can know, but they either want to delay thinking of the experience, or, they simply don't want to relinquish their own authority over to Gods rightful place. For most, great and never ending disappointment and regret in the afterlife is what will be a reality. It doesn't need to be that way however.

Upvote 0