Do Christians acknowledge that God might not exist?

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Are Christians willing to acknowledge that God might not exist? That you might be wrong? If so, why do you insist on telling other people that they are following the wrong god if yours is just as much of an uncertainty as theirs is?

Why does Richard Dawkins spend so much time trying to convince the world that God doesn't exist?

In both cases, probably because people of a contrary opinion make them feel insecure in their own position.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prayer is not a conversation with him. It is a conversation with your imagination.

It doesn't matter if they want to approach him or not, he is not approachable period.

These beliefs seem to not correspond to reality, can you please explain why you believe these ideas?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Timeless and uncaused are basically the same thing. Joshua defined immaterial as existing outside the universe (which is something a first cause would have to do because the universe wasn't around at that time). These are broad terms which could be applied to any first cause.
OK, well I don't know if existence outside of our universe is not material, but I will not speculate. I do think though that time is defined by change, that without change, time cannot be perceived, and wherever there is change, time is perceived. I expect that things change outside of the universe (assuming that is even a valid concept), therefore, I tend to also assume that time exists before, after, and without the universe.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Y'know, Alex...I get the sneaking suspicion that you feel as though you've already got all the answers, and you're basically just snubbing everyone who tries to explain anything to you.
I don't have all the answers and neither do you.

Clearly, you're bored and not willing to learn anything. So I'm out. Good luck in life...you know...knowing everything like you do...man, that must be hard!
It's ok. I expected that you would not be able to tackle my challenge.

"Half the Bible was written as fiction", eh? Where's your so-called "source" on that...? And you're saying at least half of it is true? Which half? ^_^
The Old Testament is my source. You will find that most Christians do not take most of it literally.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
These beliefs seem to not correspond to reality, can you please explain why you believe these ideas?
Why do I believe prayer is bogus? Because there is no evidence that leads me to believe otherwise. I could pray to any god and the response will be the same from all of them. Could you prove that your prayer is different from everyone elses? You may be convinced that you are actually talking to your god, but so are the millions of Muslims praying to allah, and the Hindus praying to krishna, and so on...

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Here's a classic example of what Joshua260 is talking about: freezing water. Why does water freeze? Because the temperature has dropped below 0 degrees Celsius. And as long as the temperature remains at least this low the water will remain frozen. Thus, the cause of the freezing water and the frozen water are concurrent with each other. I'm sure Joshua260 has other examples he could offer.
But this isn't how every cause and effect works. I can go ahead and move my fingers around and type this message (cause) but the only thing that will remain is this message (effect). They don't have to be concurrent with each other. My fingers have stopped moving.

Actually, Joshua260 explained very well that the KCA limits the field of possible First Causes. The argument does not bring us to the conclusion that just any old first cause we might imagine will do. Re-read his comments.
He said the first cause would have had to been uncaused, unaffected by time, and existed separate from the universe. This could be used to argue any first cause. People could use this argument to argue for the big bang.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do I believe prayer is bogus? Because there is no evidence that leads me to believe otherwise. I could pray to any god and the response will be the same from all of them. Could you prove that your prayer is different from everyone elses? You may be convinced that you are actually talking to your god, but so are the millions of Muslims praying to allah, and the Hindus praying to krishna, and so on...
Are you expecting me to say that the gods that other people pray to arent real if they are not God? I wouldn't say that. I would rather be inclined to suggest it is demonic worship if it is not God. And not every Christian believer worships God, some do listen to counterfeits when it suits them.

Mentioning this also brings me to suggest that God does not say the same as all other gods. He tells the truth.

Does this change your response, or can you please rephrase your response to me with this knowledge? Thank you Alex.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Thus, the cause of the freezing water and the frozen water are concurrent with each other."

Thanks, aiki. That's a great example and feel free to jump in anytime during my exchanges. I find your inputs very insightful.

But this isn't how every cause and effect works. I can go ahead and move my fingers around and type this message (cause) but the only thing that will remain is this message (effect). They don't have to be concurrent with each other. My fingers have stopped moving. .
I think aiki's example is exactly how at least some cause and effects work. But I'd like to examine your example and point out that you skipped a whole bunch of relationships.
1. The effect of your words appearing on the screen is from the cause of electronic signals coming from circuitry. (simultaneous)
2. The effect of the electronic signals coming from the circuitry is from the cause of reading the saved data in the chips. (simultaneous)
3. The effect of the saving data in the chips is from the cause of a certain sequence of keys being pressed (simultaneous).
4. The effect of the movement of the key .002 distance is from the cause of the movement of my finger moving .002 distance into the keyboard. (simultaneous)
So while I might agree that some effects may continue to happen after the cause has stopped, it seems to me like we could cite an abundance of examples where the effects happen concurrently with the causes. I think example #4 seems closest to what I saying...that at the same time the universe began to exist (the movement of the key .002) is the same time that God brought the universe into being (the movement of the finger .002). But I'm glad we're having this discussion because we seem to be agreeing with each other that our experience confirms that effects have causes, so it really looks like premise 1 is rock solid...that everything that begins to exist has a cause.

He said the first cause would have had to been uncaused, unaffected by time, and existed separate from the universeThis could be used to argue any first cause. People could use this argument to argue for the big bang.
I don't think so. What I said is that we could extrapolate some traits of the first cause and rule out possibilities. Such examples that we could rule out are all of the Greek and Roman gods because they are said to exist within the universe, and the flying spaghetti monster because he is material. Maybe I misunderstood you, but I hope you don't mean to suggest that the big bang could have caused the big bang itself...that to me seems incoherent...that something that does not exist could bring itself into existence. So far, the only possible candidates that seem to have all of the traits that line up with the first cause are the Muslim, Jewish, and Christian god.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Its a good thing that I do not have to understand all that is God. All I can say is that I am a Christian, and know that Jesus is good,and there is no condemnation in faith in Christ.

I condemn no one... its way outside of my realm

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

TheImmortalJellyfish

Unnaturally elected...
Oct 20, 2014
✟8,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't have all the answers and neither do you.

You don't seem to want any answers, and instead would rather insert your own.

It's ok. I expected that you would not be able to tackle my challenge.

"Challenge"?

The Old Testament is my source. You will find that most Christians do not take most of it literally.

Your source for believing that half of the Old Testament is true is....the Old Testament?? Can you at least see why this conversation seems utterly ridiculous?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It would be logically inconsistent to claim to be a true Christian and allow the possibility that God, who created all, does not exist. To say it another way, the answer to your question is an emphatic no; such would be impossible.

There is huge evidence in the cosmos, in the earth and in life, that God exists and is the creator of all. There is a whole branch of study called Christian apologetics that does nothing but to defend Christianity from attacks of all varieties from non-believers.

Upvote 0

wndwalkr99

I'd change my mind
Jun 22, 2013
Nebraska
✟13,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Because I don't hear him talking to me. I don't feel as though he has answered me in any way, I don't feel his presence or hear any words from him. If I'd been praying to him to ask him to help me feel his presence, wouldn't he answer my prayers?
So, he's acting exactly like a god who isn't there?

Strange.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Its a good thing that I do not have to understand all that is God.
I don't think that is a good thing at all. People who lack understanding tend to be easier to manipulate.

All I can say is that I am a Christian, and know that Jesus is good,and there is no condemnation in faith in Christ. I condemn no one... its way outside of my realm
Threatening people with a eternal place of torment seems very condemning.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You don't seem to want any answers, and instead would rather insert your own.
I do want answers. It doesn't look like I'm getting any from you though.

"Challenge"?
I asked you to provide me with something found in Christianity that another man-made religion cannot replicate. You failed to do so.

Your source for believing that half of the Old Testament is true is....the Old Testament?? Can you at least see why this conversation seems utterly ridiculous?
I guess half of the Christians on here are speaking utterly ridiculous things as well. They don't take much of the Old Testament literally.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think so. What I said is that we could extrapolate some traits of the first cause and rule out possibilities. Such examples that we could rule out are all of the Greek and Roman gods because they are said to exist within the universe, and the flying spaghetti monster because he is material. Maybe I misunderstood you, but I hope you don't mean to suggest that the big bang could have caused the big bang itself...that to me seems incoherent...that something that does not exist could bring itself into existence. So far, the only possible candidates that seem to have all of the traits that line up with the first cause are the Muslim, Jewish, and Christian god.
Sorry for the pause in responses. I tend to get extremely frustrated with some of the responses I receive on here.

I don't think we can rule out any first cause with the argument you provided. Your argument still fits as a match for pretty much anything even the big bang. You also admitted that not all causes and effects exist concurrently with each other. So I fail to understand why you think that the first cause must have existed in this way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This reminds me of a friend a while ago. He was helping me because he owed me and he was meant to stay a couple of days and we were going to do all this two-person work together. Well I gave him some wine, but I didn't drink any. I'm not really into wine that much, so it has to be a really nice one, but it was just OK. Well, he does drink wine. One and a half bottles later, he gets in a mood and storms off, saying it's over and he will just pay back the money. Well, I didn't want to stop him, in fact it was a relief to see him go. I was able to have my peace again after that. Then he texts me in the car a few minutes later "well, I walked out on ya, you didn't try to stop me. Strange dude, very strange". Just saying, my friend thought there was something about his company I should have begged for, while I did not agree at the time. Sure, later when the wine had passed, we've been OK again. I just wonder whether you might find value in that perspective.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
This reminds me of a friend a while ago. He was helping me because he owed me and he was meant to stay a couple of days and we were going to do all this two-person work together. Well I gave him some wine, but I didn't drink any. I'm not really into wine that much, so it has to be a really nice one, but it was just OK. Well, he does drink wine. One and a half bottles later, he gets in a mood and storms off, saying it's over and he will just pay back the money. Well, I didn't want to stop him, in fact it was a relief to see him go. I was able to have my peace again after that. Then he texts me in the car a few minutes later "well, I walked out on ya, you didn't try to stop me. Strange dude, very strange". Just saying, my friend thought there was something about his company I should have begged for, while I did not agree at the time. Sure, later when the wine had passed, we've been OK again. I just wonder whether you might find value in that perspective.
Well, your friend acts pretty bizzare when he's drunk. I am neither drunk nor am I begging anyone here for their company. I fail to see how this story even relates.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, your friend acts pretty bizzare when he's drunk. I am neither drunk nor am I begging anyone here for their company. I fail to see how this story even relates.
Yes well you know that drunkenness disables your guard then your inner self is more freely expressed. In his case, he was expecting me to beg him to stay. I see you are basically expecting God to beg for your attention. Maybe he just doesn't want a friend that treats Him that way. What do you reckon? I said I see a similarity because while my friend thought it was strange that I didn't try to stop him, he thought I was being strange. Actually, I am glad he chose to go, I didn't like that mood. Same, I imagine for God to you, I have seen your regard for Him. If I was Him I wouldn't speak to you either, it just would not please me. Did you ever read the first verse in my signature?

Upvote 0