Do Christians acknowledge that God might not exist?

Victory of the Cross

Jesus is the Word of God
Mar 3, 2005
✟41,510.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
There is a critical difference between the two a true believer and a non believer

If you were to pick up an apple, touch, smell and taste it, you would know it exists based on the evidence you experienced.

If someone else tried to tell you it had never been real you would not be convinced away from your knowledge.

many christians have seen things happen in answer to prayers.

my sister cured of a fatal blood disease

my grandmothers lungs were so consumed by cancers from smoking 65+ years she was given 2 weeks to live, after prayer only 24 hours later she was sent home the xray showed her lungs entirely healed, not a single scar or any cancer remained.

in my own like a very severe knee injury which would have required major surgery was healed after prayer so fast no surgery was needed, within 48 hours of the injury i was walking normal again, dr's said i would have been off my leg for months even with the best operation they could have done.

this just a few of dozens of examples i have witnessed personally in the lives of people in my every day life.

Once you know the truth it cannot be taken away.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just can't bring myself to believe in atheism. When I look at all of the great philosophical arguments for the existence of God, the various Christian evidences including the evidence supporting the Resurrection, the witness of the holy spirit, and even the irrationality of atheism itself, it just seems to go against logic to suggest that atheism could be true.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are Christians willing to acknowledge that God might not exist? That you might be wrong? If so, why do you insist on telling other people that they are following the wrong god if yours is just as much of an uncertainty as theirs is?

God, the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit is non-negotiable for us. The Gospel can be proclaimed without compromise in a respectful & non confrontational way with the hope that a person might receive it having the time to think it over (days, weeks, months etc. ).

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Are Christians willing to acknowledge that God might not exist? That you might be wrong? If so, why do you insist on telling other people that they are following the wrong god if yours is just as much of an uncertainty as theirs is?

If he doesn't exist I don't know who ive been talking to (and more importantly who is talking back 0.o)

haha, thats only half a joke, god really will talk back if you let him, not in an audible voice, but in some ways more clearly than that.

If I had any doubt if god was real I wouldn't be a christian, because being christian requires a 100% commitment.

Luke 14

25 Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

Luke 9

57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” 59 To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” 60 And Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” 61 Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” 62 Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”

Thats a steep price to pay, its a gift freely given, but if we accept we have to commit, and committing takes everything.

But the real question "how do I know", well, we could sit here and talk philosophy, but frankly thats now how "how I know". Ive been a christian all my life, and raised in church, I had a few experince where I knew god showed up and he was as real as the person next to me, but I had backsliden and didn't WANT god to be real, ran away, ran into sin, and when I realized I couldn't forsake him, because I KNEW he was real, I came back, and one day I got on my knees and prayed, confessing, and god showed up, I was a mess, I think I ended up in the floor bowing or in my chair bowing, and I gave myself to him fully, regiving myself in a way, and I honestly was scared to death he was just going to kill me, cause I knew I deserved it, instead he loved me, when I finally lifted my head later, I did a double take, kinda shockingly flinched, because when I lifted my head, no one was there, just the empty room. he was THAT real, over the next few months I had encounters like that sometimes daily, and sometimes they lasted for over an hour. I don't belive in god because of some theory or evidence, but because Ive met him, and he loved me, when it felt like no one else did, and he care about me, when I felt forgotten, and in my pain and misery, and believe me, Ive had MORE than many people, he didn't forget me, he spoke to me,he loved me, even when the CHURCH PEOPLE didn't, even when I hated myself, even when I DESERVED to be hated, I was a bad person, I hid it well, but I was a mess, borderline psychopathic at times. But he loved me, I'm not exagerating, when I told him he could do whatever he wanted with me, a part of me thought he would kill me, if not make me wish I was dead, but he didn't, and I'll never forget that.

I like how one of my favorite songs puts it

Oh how You've proven
That there in no one
Like You

Ever faithful
To such faithless men
Like us

Awake my soul

Oh how you've shown me
That this isn't a blind faith
In a distant God

You went before me and You
Bore my sin

Who am I to doubt You?
Let me hear Your voice
My ears have heard You
Let me see Your face
My eyes have seen You

For I believe
For I, I believe

Great is They faithfulness
O' God my Father and King
There is no shadowy presence
To Your promise I cling
Thou changest not Thy compassions
As Thou hast been
Thou forever and ever will be

When men cast their doubt upon Your name
You are unchanging
Still the immutable God
When nations rage against Your throne
You are unchanging
Still the immutable God

Seek god, and he WILL make himself known, it might take a minute, or it might take YEARS,but if you earnestly and honestly seek him, he WILL speak to you (sometimes in ways you didn't even think he DID anymore lol)

Upvote 0

Wolves

Apr 6, 2015
Melbourne
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There is a critical difference between the two a true believer and a non believer

If you were to pick up an apple, touch, smell and taste it, you would know it exists based on the evidence you experienced.

If someone else tried to tell you it had never been real you would not be convinced away from your knowledge.

many christians have seen things happen in answer to prayers.

my sister cured of a fatal blood disease

my grandmothers lungs were so consumed by cancers from smoking 65+ years she was given 2 weeks to live, after prayer only 24 hours later she was sent home the xray showed her lungs entirely healed, not a single scar or any cancer remained.

in my own like a very severe knee injury which would have required major surgery was healed after prayer so fast no surgery was needed, within 48 hours of the injury i was walking normal again, dr's said i would have been off my leg for months even with the best operation they could have done.

this just a few of dozens of examples i have witnessed personally in the lives of people in my every day life.

Once you know the truth it cannot be taken away.

This is the problem I have with my belief (or lack thereof). I am yet to see any kind of evidence :( and it really upsets me. I feel like I have been praying for God to come into my life for many years, but I am yet to feel his presence... so how can I ever know that he is real?

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the problem I have with my belief (or lack thereof). I am yet to see any kind of evidence :( and it really upsets me. I feel like I have been praying for God to come into my life for many years, but I am yet to feel his presence... so how can I ever know that he is real?

Hey Wolves,

I must confess that I'm a hopeless romantic. I love seeing young lovers getting to know each other, and that's the same feeling I get when I meet people who are honestly exploring Christianity. It's a great journey!

Anyway, now that you suggest the need for evidence, I would recommend The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. It's a great intro into Christian evidences.

As C.S. Lewis said of his own journey from atheism, after a while of exploring Christianity, I found that rather than being the hunter, I was actually the hunted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are Christians willing to acknowledge that God might not exist?
That does happen but naturally we will wonder therefore the basis on which they believed.
That you might be wrong?
If a person is intellectually honest, they will always acknowledge that possibility (I think), however unlikely it might seem. The world does produce results of extremely slim chance at times. However, given the experiences a Christian may have, to believe doubt really would require some doubting of one's sanity. When that is required in order to believe doubt then we are deluding ourselves in order to believe a particular idea. It also does happen. When that happens, we should always ask what enticed them to believe that doubt.
If so, why do you insist on telling other people that they are following the wrong god if yours is just as much of an uncertainty as theirs is?
The facts do speak for themselves. If someone loves the truth then they will recognize that what Jesus says is true. Sometimes we prefer to not know the truth, or seek to conceal the truth because we find it uncomfortable.

(The way people represent the truth often does not help others to develop comfort of acceptance).

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by alexiscurious
If so, why do you insist on telling other people that they are following the wrong god if yours is just as much of an uncertainty as theirs is?
I do not come from Christian back ground (I was atheist), and I did research most of the major religions before come to Christianity. So far Buddhism is not a religion, there is no God but only your personal 'level', and Islam is obviously wrong due to the internal conflicts (i.e. Muhammad never said anything about Bible been corrupted, and today's Muslims all claim that because they now know what the OT and NT is saying).

Not only that, the Christian message is straight forward, Jesus commanded us to "love god with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself", and if you really think about it, if we can all do that, we do live in the kingdom of heaven. For me that is the one most important facts that why Christianity is right.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do Christians acknowledge that God might not exist?

My belief in God is not just a theological perspective to which I adhere. "God exists" is not just a proposition to defend but the beginning point of fellowship with Him. I know God exists first and foremost because the Bible tells me He does, but also because I experience Him as He says in His Word that I can. So, I cannot concede that God might not exist and that I am wrong about Him any more than I could make such a concession about my wife or my parents. Consequently, I feel no compunction about telling others - even those who believe in another god - that the God I know personally is the One True God.

Selah.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

My belief in God is not just a theological perspective to which I adhere. "God exists" is not just a proposition to defend but the beginning point of fellowship with Him. I know God exists first and foremost because the Bible tells me He does, but also because I experience Him as He says in His Word that I can. So, I cannot concede that God might not exist and that I am wrong about Him any more than I could make such a concession about my wife or my parents. Consequently, I feel no compunction about telling others - even those who believe in another god - that the God I know personally is the One True God.

Selah.

Perfectly said

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I just can't bring myself to believe in atheism. When I look at all of the great philosophical arguments for the existence of God, the various Christian evidences including the evidence supporting the Resurrection, the witness of the holy spirit, and even the irrationality of atheism itself, it just seems to go against logic to suggest that atheism could be true.

I just can't bring myself to believe in the small group of men that compiled the book that your entire faith's foundation rests on. A small group of human witnesses who lived 2000 years ago. Really? God thinks that is a substantial amount of evidence for his existence? If God really did exist, I don't think he would leave such insufficient evidence for his existence especially when an eternity of torment is at stake.

There are no good philosophical arguments. I've looked at them all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
God, the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit is non-negotiable for us. The Gospel can be proclaimed without compromise in a respectful & non confrontational way with the hope that a person might receive it having the time to think it over (days, weeks, months etc. ).

So you consider God to be a certainty? Why do you need "faith" then?

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If a person is intellectually honest, they will always acknowledge that possibility (I think), however unlikely it might seem.
Your entire faith rests on human witnesses that lived 2000 years ago. We all know how flimsy and unreliable human witnessing can be. I don't see it as unlikely at all.

The facts do speak for themselves. If someone loves the truth then they will recognize that what Jesus says is true. Sometimes we prefer to not know the truth, or seek to conceal the truth because we find it uncomfortable.
It seems to me that if you wanted to know whether the Bible was true or not, that you would need to know the intentions of the authors that wrote it. Are you a mind reader? Can you magically see into the minds of Matthew, Mark, Luke and see whether or not they were interested in telling the truth? I don't think so. They are dead.

Upvote 0