Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,370.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
At this moment all the members of TAW are indeed fasting.

Probably not the way you think - but the ideal for all of us at present is

No meat , no dairy , no oil, no alcohol until the Feast of the Resurrection of Christ [ Easter in your terminology ] Note this is the ideal and how far we fast according to the ideal is between each of us individually and our Spiritual Father / Confessor or Priest. People with health problems usually follow a mitigated fast - again according to advice from their SF/ Confessor / Priest and their medical advisor.

Fasting is not just food and alcohol abstinence - there are other aspects - but we tend not to discuss these.

During this time we also attend Services during the week . We also give alms . Many of us also try and increase our reading of spiritual books

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:thumbsup:

At this moment all the members of TAW are indeed fasting.

Probably not the way you think - but the ideal for all of us at present is

No meat , no dairy , no oil, no alcohol until the Feast of the Resurrection of Christ [ Easter in your terminology ] Note this is the ideal and how far we fast according to the ideal is between each of us individually and our Spiritual Father / Confessor or Priest. People with health problems usually follow a mitigated fast - again according to advice from their SF/ Confessor / Priest and their medical advisor.

Fasting is not just food and alcohol abstinence - there are other aspects - but we tend not to discuss these.

During this time we also attend Services during the week . We also give alms . Many of us also try and increase our reading of spiritual books

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights, some say fasting combined with pray is good. Have any of you tried fasting?

Why yes, yes we do. :wave:

As a matter of fact, it is a regular part of our lives as Orthodox Christians. But we do it corporately, rather than on our own. Although no one makes us fast. We choose to keep the Fasts that the Church , in her wisdom, has prescribed for our spiritual health.

Welcome to TAW!

Mary

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,794.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"Let us observe a fast acceptable and pleasing to the Lord.
True fasting is to put away all evil,
To control the tongue, to forbear from anger,
To abstain from lust, slander, falsehood and perjury.
If we renounce these things, then is our fasting true and acceptable to God.
Let us keep the Fast not only by refraining from food,
But by becoming strangers to all the bodily passions. "

Upvote 0

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian
ihavefoundgod

We do NOT boast about fasting - we have stated simply what we do and none of us have told you exactly what we do.

How we fast is between us , our family if necessary , our priest and God

Sorry I didn't mean it to imply you're boasting, that was not my intention. Was just quoting what Jesus said :)
Im just curious about fasting, thank you for your insightful replies :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus says we shouldnt boosts about fasting but I just wanted to know if they're people out there that still do it, im thinking of fasting at some point during lent (from food)
Maybe next Monday to Wednesday-thursday.

Thank you for your replies, god bless.

I think the only thing I would add is that if you are going to fast, it's best to do it under some kind of spiritual direction and not just go off on our own.

and I hope you stick around too

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ceruleanbutterfly

Jan 19, 2014
✟7,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As several people have mentioned we do fast. I am different a bit though. I am an Orthodox Christian but I do not fast in the traditional sense. I am one of those who can't for health reasons, I have not been allowed to do a full fast since I was 16. I do a modified fast, I cut out more in the way of special things and I increase spiritual works and I will make other sacrifices. I am attempting to do a stricter fast this year than I have in the last 9 years because my health is better than it has been. I fast under the guidance of my spiritual father and a doctor, and my doctor has said in the past that due to my health that it is not safe to fast. You see the point of fasting is to tame the flesh and bring you closer to God. If fasting instead only brings you closer to the hospital than it is not a good idea. :) All that said I will still be breaking the fast every now and then and having a bit of non fasting food if I need it.

Welcome to TAW! Please do stay around!

Upvote 0