ReUsAbLePhEoNiX

Liberated from SinComplex
Jun 24, 2003
Earth, MilkyWay Galaxy
Visit site
✟10,562.00
Faith
Taoist
thinking about this while reading this story from the BBC....

Penguins are turning to prostitution. But instead of doing it for money, Antarctic dolly-birds are turning tricks to get rocks off their menfolk.

Stones are essential for penguins to build their nests. A shortage has led to the unorthodox tactics.

"Stones are the valuable currency in penguin terms," said Dr Fiona Hunter, a researcher in the Zoology Department at Cambridge University, who has spent five years observing the birds' mating patterns.

Prostitution is described as the world's oldest profession. But Dr Hunter is convinced it is the first time it has been seen in animals.

Penguin partners

All of the female penguins Dr Hunter observed trading sex for stones had partners.

Penguins stick to the same mate, she said, but none of the males twigged what was happening.

"There was no suspicion on the part of the males. Females quite often go off on their own to collect stones, so as far as the males are concerned there is no reason to suspect."

She added: "It tends to be females targeting single males, otherwise the partner female would beat the intruder up."

Dr Hunter and Dr Lloyd Davis of the University of Otago watched the penguins at work on Ross Island, about 800 miles from the South Pole as part of a Antarctica New Zealand programme.

Tricking their prey

On some occasions the prostitute penguins trick the males. They carry out the elaborate courtship ritual, which usually leads to mating.

Having bagged their stone, they would then run off.

"The courtship display is a head-bowing display," Dr Hunter said. "It usually starts with the male, who bows his head and looks out the corner of his eye."

She said she does not think the female penguins are doing it just for the stones.

"The female only takes one or two stones," she said. "It takes hundreds to build the nest to get their eggs off the ground.

"I think what they are doing is having copulation for another reason and just taking the stones as well. We don't know exactly why, but they are using the males."

She said the female penguins could also be testing potential future mates, in case their existing partner died before the next mating period.

The single male penguins appeared to have only their own pleasure as a motive.

The action takes place during a three-week mating period starting in late October.

The most stones Dr Hunter saw a single female taking was 62, although she said she suspects her final total was higher.

The number of prostitute penguins is quite low, she said.

"It's probably only a few percent," she said. "I was watching opportunistically, so I can't give an exact figure of how common it really is."

Other animals have been seen trading food for sexual favours but only within a partnership.

ReUsAbLePhEoNiX

Liberated from SinComplex
Jun 24, 2003
Earth, MilkyWay Galaxy
Visit site
✟10,562.00
Faith
Taoist
Upvote 0

warispeace

ubi dubium, ibi libertas
Jan 14, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
✟8,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
ReUsAbLePhEoNiX said:
yes, the link.sorry bout that...the story is legit..what you guys never heard of this? Geez I thought everybody read up on penguin sexual behavour studies. Its so interesting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/60302.stm

Wow. That's crazy. Prostitution in animals.

She added: "It tends to be females targeting single males, otherwise the partner female would beat the intruder up."

So how are penguins supposed to beat each other up? :scratch:

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to the spam I get in my inbox, the answer is a definitive YES, and the girls they do it with are hot, barely-legal, teens!

Seriously, I have no idea. I tend to assume that they don't, but I have no way of knowing. I believe that sin requires moral culpability, which requires the capacity to understand moral questions. I doubt that cats really have this capacity, but I could be wrong.

I will say this: The way in which good people deal with their pets has more in common than I am sometimes comfortable with, with the Christian notion of grace and mercy.

Upvote 0

gogoGoddess

May 21, 2004
where i lay my hat
✟221.00
Faith
Other Religion
only if that is what you consider it. Are we not supposed to be brighter than most of the animal kingdom----I don't believe they would consider procreation a sin, since unlike humans thats usually the only time they would "sin".
I like seebs answer---I've had dates that were absolutely pigs. (not the cop kind)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums