1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Anglicans say the Hail Mary and the RC Rosary?

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by Chrystabelle, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystabelle

Chrystabelle New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I was always told by my family that if I converted to Anglicanism, I would have to give up saying "Hail Marys" and the Rosary. Is this true?

2. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

Faith:
    Anglican
    Roman Catholics come to my parish to say the Rosary.

3. TomUK

TomUK What would Costanza do? Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    UK-Conservative
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Not at all.

4. Wiffey

Wiffey He is my refuge and my fortress...

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I still love the Hail Mary and the Rosary...

There is such a sthing as an Anglican rosary, with several different versions....basically praying and meditating on the life of Christ...but I still have a huge attachment to the old RC Marian rosary I grew up with.

No worries! It is perfectly fine to pray the Marian rosary, or use an Eastern Orthodox prayer rope, etc.

Anglicans are a very inclusive and welcoming lot who respect the diversity within Christian tradition.

5. Chrystabelle

Chrystabelle New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I am delighted to hear that. But my dear grandmother who would have been 110 this year converted to Roman Catholicism because she loved saying the rosary (and for other reasons, obviously). This would suggest that in the 1930s, when she converted, the Anglican church were not in the habit of saying the rosary. I am a bit confused now. I definitely remember her saying that as an Anglican she did not say the rosary and that she was introduced to the rosary by a Roman Catholic priest.

6. AngCath

AngCath Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Anglican
    I pray the Hail Mary but I use an Anglican Rosary.

7. Tawny

Tawny Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Some do some don't. Some pray the Anglican Rosary which is slightly different. I for one pray both. I alternate and pray the Anglican Rosary one night and the Marian Rosary the next.

I find saying Hail Mary Mother of God as comforting and devout as saying Jesus Lamb of God.

I believe it is a personal thing, the same as crossing oneself. I for one crossed myself before I attended Catholic Mass (I did so for over 6 months) and continue to do so now.

We have has some good threads on both the Rosary and Crossing oneself in STR recently, I will try and dig the links.

In Him

Nicky

8. Tawny

Tawny Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Anglican
  9. Naomi4Christ

Naomi4Christ not a nutter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Anglican churches do not restrict your private prayers and devotions. We aren't that kind of church.

artrx, Tawny and gtsecc like this.
  10. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

Faith:
    Anglican
    I repped you for that one Naomi!

11. karen freeinchristman

karen freeinchristman More of You and less of me, Lord! Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Anglican
    :clap:

12. Anij

Anij New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Anglican
    exactly -

I use both an Anglican and RC Rosary - I say the Ave Maria ( I pray it in Latin most of the time) , however equally as often I use either Rosary as a tool to guide me in prayer - not using a set "pattern" but using it as a way to focus and just "be" with God.

I think that some people ( my mother included) feel intimidated due to the Marian aspect of the RC Rosary , so they don't use it - however, I've always felt that the Rosary is a tool to guide you to prayer, not an end in itself.

One of the things that I cherish most about the Anglican tradition ( as I know it) , and the Church is that we're each given the freedom to pray as we wish - without feeling the need to conform to a certain standard.

13. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Traditional Orthodox Anglican

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I use both the Marian rosary and Anglican rosary.

Anglicanism allows both.

14. higgs2

higgs2 not a nutter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Anglican
    :holy: :angel: :holy: The angels in heaven are singing with joy...:holy: :angel: :holy:

15. pmcleanj

pmcleanj Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner

Faith:
    Anglican
    It is certainly more common now than it was in the last century. The Anglican rosary was developed only about 25 years ago, to give Anglicans more flexibility and their own rosary. Even in 1930, there were Anglo-Catholic parishes that practiced this devotion. But then even moreso than now, the majority of Anglican churches fell in the solid centre of Anglican theology, not leaning too far toward either Rome or Geneva.

The Marion rosary in the form it is presently prayed is clearly an Anglo-Catholic, Rome-leaning custom. Its current form was regularized by the Roman Catholic church after the reformation, and the extra-biblical words "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and in the hour of our death" appended to the biblical "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed is the fruit of thy womb" was also added after the reformation. "Anglo-Catholic" practice is similar to "High Church Traditionalist" practice, in that both find a high level of ceremony, symbol, decoration and adiaphora to be enhancing to the worship experience. But where High Church Traditionalists retain and reintroduce symbols and ceremonials from the early days of the Anglican church, Anglo-Catholics often look to Roman Catholic practices and embrace the ones that are meaningful to them, even if they are post-reformation innovations.

The rosary itself was known in Britain from earliest times, both as the 33-bead Rosary for reciting the "Jesus Prayer" similar to the Orthodox prayer rope of similar antiquity; and as the 50-bead Celtic rosary used for reciting the Psalms (fifty at morning, fifty at mid-day, fifty at evening; for an entire recitation of the Psalter every day -- beautiful practice, especially in a world where you couldn't listen to top-ten radio while you worked, but rather demanding on the memory. I wish I could remember 150 Psalms in order!)

16. starelda

starelda Guest

I use both the Anglican and RC Rosaries as well though I pray the Anglican one more often.

Naomi put it well :thumbsup:

17. Chrystabelle

Chrystabelle New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you so much. Your posts are always so informative and interesting. They inspire me to take up theology. It's very frustrating to have had false perceptions all these years.

18. Bonifatius

Bonifatius Regular Member

Faith:
    Anglican
    No, this is not true. The Hail Mary is often recited in services in Anglico-catholich churches and the Rosary is a common thing among Catholic Anglicans.

19. Chrystabelle

Chrystabelle New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I've been meaning to go to the Anglican Catholic church for a while now. Unfortunately it is quite far from where I live.

By Catholic Anglicans do you mean Anglicans in the Catholic tradition or former Roman Catholics (or both)? :doh:

20. lmnop9876

lmnop9876 New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    pamela's a legend, isn't she?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.