Do Anglicans say the Hail Mary and the RC Rosary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Chrystabelle said:
I was always told by my family that if I converted to Anglicanism, I would have to give up saying "Hail Marys" and the Rosary. Is this true?

Not at all.

Upvote 0

Wiffey

He is my refuge and my fortress...
Oct 27, 2004
✟18,913.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I still love the Hail Mary and the Rosary...

There is such a sthing as an Anglican rosary, with several different versions....basically praying and meditating on the life of Christ...but I still have a huge attachment to the old RC Marian rosary I grew up with.

No worries! It is perfectly fine to pray the Marian rosary, or use an Eastern Orthodox prayer rope, etc.

Anglicans are a very inclusive and welcoming lot who respect the diversity within Christian tradition.

Upvote 0

Chrystabelle

Mar 19, 2006
✟7,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am delighted to hear that. But my dear grandmother who would have been 110 this year converted to Roman Catholicism because she loved saying the rosary (and for other reasons, obviously). This would suggest that in the 1930s, when she converted, the Anglican church were not in the habit of saying the rosary. I am a bit confused now. I definitely remember her saying that as an Anglican she did not say the rosary and that she was introduced to the rosary by a Roman Catholic priest.

Upvote 0

Tawny

Senior Contributor
Feb 21, 2005
Buckinghamshire,UK
✟21,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Some do some don't. Some pray the Anglican Rosary which is slightly different. I for one pray both. I alternate and pray the Anglican Rosary one night and the Marian Rosary the next.

I find saying Hail Mary Mother of God as comforting and devout as saying Jesus Lamb of God.

I believe it is a personal thing, the same as crossing oneself. I for one crossed myself before I attended Catholic Mass (I did so for over 6 months) and continue to do so now.

We have has some good threads on both the Rosary and Crossing oneself in STR recently, I will try and dig the links.

In Him

Nicky

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anij

Feb 12, 2006
✟15,221.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Naomi4Christ said:
Anglican churches do not restrict your private prayers and devotions. We aren't that kind of church.
exactly -

I use both an Anglican and RC Rosary - I say the Ave Maria ( I pray it in Latin most of the time) , however equally as often I use either Rosary as a tool to guide me in prayer - not using a set "pattern" but using it as a way to focus and just "be" with God.

I think that some people ( my mother included) feel intimidated due to the Marian aspect of the RC Rosary , so they don't use it - however, I've always felt that the Rosary is a tool to guide you to prayer, not an end in itself.

One of the things that I cherish most about the Anglican tradition ( as I know it) , and the Church is that we're each given the freedom to pray as we wish - without feeling the need to conform to a certain standard.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Chrystabelle said:
I am delighted to hear that. But my dear grandmother who would have been 110 this year converted to Roman Catholicism because she loved saying the rosary (and for other reasons, obviously). This would suggest that in the 1930s, when she converted, the Anglican church were not in the habit of saying the rosary. I am a bit confused now. I definitely remember her saying that as an Anglican she did not say the rosary and that she was introduced to the rosary by a Roman Catholic priest.

It is certainly more common now than it was in the last century. The Anglican rosary was developed only about 25 years ago, to give Anglicans more flexibility and their own rosary. Even in 1930, there were Anglo-Catholic parishes that practiced this devotion. But then even moreso than now, the majority of Anglican churches fell in the solid centre of Anglican theology, not leaning too far toward either Rome or Geneva.

The Marion rosary in the form it is presently prayed is clearly an Anglo-Catholic, Rome-leaning custom. Its current form was regularized by the Roman Catholic church after the reformation, and the extra-biblical words "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and in the hour of our death" appended to the biblical "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed is the fruit of thy womb" was also added after the reformation. "Anglo-Catholic" practice is similar to "High Church Traditionalist" practice, in that both find a high level of ceremony, symbol, decoration and adiaphora to be enhancing to the worship experience. But where High Church Traditionalists retain and reintroduce symbols and ceremonials from the early days of the Anglican church, Anglo-Catholics often look to Roman Catholic practices and embrace the ones that are meaningful to them, even if they are post-reformation innovations.

The rosary itself was known in Britain from earliest times, both as the 33-bead Rosary for reciting the "Jesus Prayer" similar to the Orthodox prayer rope of similar antiquity; and as the 50-bead Celtic rosary used for reciting the Psalms (fifty at morning, fifty at mid-day, fifty at evening; for an entire recitation of the Psalter every day -- beautiful practice, especially in a world where you couldn't listen to top-ten radio while you worked, but rather demanding on the memory. I wish I could remember 150 Psalms in order!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrystabelle

Mar 19, 2006
✟7,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
pmcleanj said:

The rosary itself was known in Britain from earliest times, both as the 33-bead Rosary for reciting the "Jesus Prayer" similar to the Orthodox prayer rope of similar antiquity; and as the 50-bead Celtic rosary used for reciting the Psalms (fifty at morning, fifty at mid-day, fifty at evening; for an entire recitation of the Psalter every day -- beautiful practice, especially in a world where you couldn't listen to top-ten radio while you worked, but rather demanding on the memory. I wish I could remember 150 Psalms in order!)

Thank you so much. Your posts are always so informative and interesting. They inspire me to take up theology. It's very frustrating to have had false perceptions all these years.

Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
Chrystabelle said:
I was always told by my family that if I converted to Anglicanism, I would have to give up saying "Hail Marys" and the Rosary. Is this true?

No, this is not true. The Hail Mary is often recited in services in Anglico-catholich churches and the Rosary is a common thing among Catholic Anglicans.

Upvote 0

Chrystabelle

Mar 19, 2006
✟7,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bonifatius said:
No, this is not true. The Hail Mary is often recited in services in Anglico-catholich churches and the Rosary is a common thing among Catholic Anglicans.

I've been meaning to go to the Anglican Catholic church for a while now. Unfortunately it is quite far from where I live.

By Catholic Anglicans do you mean Anglicans in the Catholic tradition or former Roman Catholics (or both)? :doh:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.