Boise, ID
✟7,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
i agree with askseekknock. i encourage you and bless you big time pal. Remember "I cando all things through him who gives me strength," and "I forsaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand that i should not be troubled." I pray for favor among men as the favor with God seems to be there. Praise God that through 2 divorces this person is still on fire for God. I wish you grace and peace. Follow him with all you got. in His love, Jenny

Upvote 0

walkin2e

Sep 28, 2004
Blackshear, Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟9,781.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
dwhitaker said:
Walkin2E,
I would have loved to have had the Pastor Interim Search Committe Report for my book, Full Restoration! It makes a great point that absolutely no one is free from sin, and therefore has earned the right to serve Christ-it is all by His grace!
Thanks
David Whitaker, Author, Full Restoration

Yes, that is a good point....It is amazing to me that the Lord still uses "us sinners" to do his work. The Lord called me to preach over 18 years ago...I have not pastored a church (although I was an associate pastor for 4 years), but I have preached in many places other than the church. When God calls you, nothing can stand in the way from the call on your life.

Too bad more churches don't realize "unperfect" people make great preachers.

Be blessed in Him, Irvin .

Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
Jenny and Irvin-
Thanks! I praise the Lord that persons such as yourself are out there living by the grace of God! Your posts have been an encouragement to me. I have been seeking to encourage others, by the encouragement that God has given to me over the past seven years, but I still need encouragement too.
Grace,
David Whitaker

Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
I hope that I am not being redundant, however, I have been thinking of a point that needs to be made clear when talking about divorced persons and ministry.

It is often assumed, and wrongly so, that anyone promoting anything positive about divorced folks, that it is a negative concerning the Bible's position (and I emphasize the Bible's position, not many churches position). I would like to go on record (and I do in Full Restoration), that those two positions are not exclusive. They can go hand in hand. I support what the Bible has to say about the permanence of marriage, and also agree that divorce can be destructive force in our society. I can tell you first hand, how damaging divorce can be as it negatively affects family, friends, associates, church members, etc. However, because a man has sinned so terribly in his past, does not diminish his capacity to confess, repent, restore relationships, and seek to do God's will and work in his future through God's grace. Hopefully, this restored person knows the pain and hurt that divorce causes, and seeks to guide others in ways to safequard their marriages.

The argument that accepting ministers into the pastorate weakens the testimony of the church, is a straw man. It rather strengthens the church as the church is to be a refuge for the hurting and a place to promote restoration. All of us have pasts, much of which many like to keep hidden.
However, having a past that has been removed as far as the east is from the west, enables all of us to minister grace to others. We have to pray that this legalistic, phariseeism is removed further from the church and many, not just divorced individuals, but those who have fallen to a number of sins, may no longer be considered "second class citizens" in the church and experience the freedom of God's grace. May more believers recognize the need for an emphasis on restoration today which will bring peace, power, hope, and forgiveness to the church that will revolutionize both the church and the world.

:preach: Somehow, we have to get this legalistic restraint removed from the church and the theme of restoration upheld...
...ALL WHO READ THIS-PRAY FOR RESTORATION FOR THE CHURCH, AND THE SPIRIT OF GRACE TO FALL UPON MORE BELEIVERS~!!!!

Grace,
Your brother
David Whitaker

Upvote 0

Hispath

Sep 24, 2005
Visit site
✟548.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I am apart of a church family that is rather small. I'm not entirely sure just how much everyone knows of my past, but...prior to my getting married to Heather, we went through counseling sessions with our pastor, who knows my complete relationship history. He has no problems with my level of activity in the church and has been completely supportive! He understands that it is about God's grace and how we serve Him, not about the attitudes of the people. No matter what others may say or think, lead with a humble, loving and compassionate heart. Keeping God's glory as the focus and everything else will fall into place. Everything I am, everything I have is because He provided it for me. I know that He loves me, I know that He forgives me, I know that He guides me. I need to be open and willing to follow!

Reactions: TheReasoner
Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
Hispath said:
I am apart of a church family that is rather small. I'm not entirely sure just how much everyone knows of my past, but...prior to my getting married to Heather, we went through counseling sessions with our pastor, who knows my complete relationship history. He has no problems with my level of activity in the church and has been completely supportive! He understands that it is about God's grace and how we serve Him, not about the attitudes of the people. No matter what others may say or think, lead with a humble, loving and compassionate heart. Keeping God's glory as the focus and everything else will fall into place. Everything I am, everything I have is because He provided it for me. I know that He loves me, I know that He forgives me, I know that He guides me. I need to be open and willing to follow!

Hispath,
I am thankful to hear your testimony of God's grace! You are so right when you say, "no matter what others may say or think, lead with a humble, loving and compassionate heart...Keeping God's glory as the focus, and everything else will fall into place.
If you will email me, I would love to share more with you on this subject. I have made encouraging those who have gone through divorce my life's work until Christ comes back!
God's blessings to you and His grace!

Your brother
David Whitaker
If you

Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
dwhitaker said:
Hispath,
I am thankful to hear your testimony of God's grace! You are so right when you say, "no matter what others may say or think, lead with a humble, loving and compassionate heart...Keeping God's glory as the focus, and everything else will fall into place.
If you will email me, I would love to share more with you on this subject. I have made encouraging those who have gone through divorce my life's work until Christ comes back!
God's blessings to you and His grace!

Your brother
David Whitaker
If you

I am so glad that Hispath, and many others writing in this forum agree together about the fact that God fully restores us from our past sins, post-confession and repentance. My prayer and hope is that the many who agree in the body of Christ and want to see the legalism of limitations dwindle, will come out in force to write and speak out about this issue. It is not just about setting divorced people free, but anyone who has sinned in their past and is judged, limited, prejudiced need set free too!

There are too many out there who are too willing to accept what tradition has said, and have not challenged these unbiblical traditions. I hope more in this forum will speak out and share more about what we can do as Christians.
If you have any ideas as to how more believers can begin to step out and share on this...let me know.

Your brother,
David Whitaker

Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
Just a concern! A huge concern. Making the point that individuals need restoration, does not imply a weak position on offenses. There are many who wince at this idea of restoring divorced individuals and seeing them as persons who have never offended. We live in a society where people believe that individuals should get what they deserve.
To suggest any true forgiveness and restoration and a viewing of these individuals as though they had never offended, is almost unthinkable to many people. That is viewed by many as softening on crime or encouraging wrongdoing because it will be rewarded.

That mindset makes many repel at this idea of divorced pastors receiving full restoration or any Christian who has noticeably sinned in his or her past of being considered "pardoned" in full! That is a shame. First, God's grace wipes out all of our sins, and God looks upon us who have repented as though we never committed the sin in the first place. Restoration does not forget the sin, nor de-emphasize its destructiveness...TRUE RESTORATION speaks out against the wrongs committed by the former wrong-doer himself! He or she warns and admonishes others to not make those mistakes...to not go down that path. The restored person uses the past to give God glory in the present and future. That is what restoration does.

Secondly, too many believe that our ministry is earned? What? Hello? God's Spirit administers giftedness, including leadership severally as HE wills. It is by grace that it is bestowed. It is not earned. I read another forum (not Christianforums) where this fellow named Jeff V. said that we do not earn forgiveness, but we do earn leadership by our lifestyle. Nada! Yes, we are to be an example, and live by example, and leaders must strive to walk consistently before others...he cannot be a rollercoaster of sinning, and repenting, sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting...etc....(there must be some consistency here)...but we neither earn forgiveness or leadership, both are given by God through His grace.

There is much unteaching that needs to be done in this area!

May God bless those who are seeking to serve Him with their whole heart!

Love in Christ, Your brother,
David Whitaker

Upvote 0

Honibee

Tasting the Lord's goodness
Sep 20, 2005
Passing through (in the USA)
✟18,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Diane_Windsor said:
1 Timothy 3

Overseers and Deacons

1Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer,[a] he desires a noble task. 2Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. 5(If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?) 6He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.

8Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons.

11In the same way, their wives[b] are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.

12A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well. 13Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus. 14Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. 16Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:
He[c] appeared in a body,[d]
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

YAY! This is my 2000th post!

DIANE
:wave:

For the man considering the pastorate, this is biblical advice. I would hope that those who don't fit the criteria, seek employment elsewhere and be a Godly witness there. We need those in the pulpit who serve the flock by EXAMPLE. :holy:

~H :pink:

Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with the previous person's post....if the criteria doesn't fit, the person should find other work...but the criteria does not include not having ever divorced in the past...

I recognize there are many who have sincerely believed 1 Timothy 3 to teach that a person who has divorced cannot be a pastor, but they are sincerely incorrect.
No where in the Bible does it teach that God changes His mind about the giftedness of believers and their service because of past sin. Read Romans 11:29. God didn't change his mind concerning Moses, who murdered before He pastored, and David, who committed adultery bedore He continued to lead his kingdom...God gives grace to the sinner (remember Peter? who denied the Lord, even cursing? Yet Jesus through His grace said, "Peter, feed my sheep". It is all about grace and restoration.

To say that a person who has divorced can never be an example of Christian truth to anyone is to deny what the Bible says about many of its leaders who had sinned in many diferent ways... It is that their heart was right, they confessed and repented, changing their life...becoming a testimony of God's grace to repair a life.
Men such as this can be a great testimony and example.

We don't tell our children that we cannot be an example to them and lead them, because we committed some of the same foolish things they did long ago. No, we can tell them not to make those mistakes, because we did...but learned from it.
No, we don't have to sin to be an example, but those who have sinned can be an example still.

Besides...the best Greek Bible Scholars say that "husband of one wife" is not refering to divorce...but speaks about a man's present character about women....He is to be a "one woman sort of man", in other words, not flirtatious or a ladies man.

Paul did not use the word "divorce" here, though it was a common word, and he could have easily used it, if he meant it. He did not, because it would have made divorce like the "unpardonable sin", which the Bible does not separate out our sins like this and make some limiting of our service to Christ.

That is good Biblical advice.

Grace
David Whitaker

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Christina M

Honibee said:
For the man considering the pastorate, this is biblical advice. I would hope that those who don't fit the criteria, seek employment elsewhere and be a Godly witness there. We need those in the pulpit who serve the flock by EXAMPLE. :holy:

I do NOT agree!

Yes! Those in the pulpit must now be living lives of good example....but if one has never had sin, of which he/she has been redeemed, how can one really relate with his/her flock??

I would much rather have one who has experienced hell on earth leading me, than someone who is lilly-white.

I had a pastor who was so squeaky clean, many could not relate to him - as well as he could not relate to them. He was always "shocked" by things people told him. It made them uncomfortable speaking to him. Thank God he had a great associate pastor who had had some "real life" experiences.

Upvote 0

Honibee

Sep 20, 2005
✟18,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Christina M said:
I do NOT agree!

Yes! Those in the pulpit must now be living lives of good example....but if one has never had sin, of which he/she has been redeemed, how can one really relate with his/her flock??

I would much rather have one who has experienced hell on earth leading me, than someone who is lilly-white.

I had a pastor who was so squeaky clean, many could not relate to him - as well as he could not relate to them. He was always "shocked" by things people told him. It made them uncomfortable speaking to him. Thank God he had a great associate pastor who had had some "real life" experiences.

Hi Christina
Not quite sure I understand what you disagree with. I was agreeing with the poster that related the guidelines for pastors mentioned in scripture. Of course, we all come into the kingdom by way of the cross of Jesus- so in that way, we all know the reality of our own sin nature. The point Paul makes in what he wrote is simply that a man who does not rule well his own house, is not euquiped to rule the house of God.

Blessings In Him :)

Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
Honibee said:
Hi Christina
Not quite sure I understand what you disagree with. I was agreeing with the poster that related the guidelines for pastors mentioned in scripture. Of course, we all come into the kingdom by way of the cross of Jesus- so in that way, we all know the reality of our own sin nature. The point Paul makes in what he wrote is simply that a man who does not rule well his own house, is not euquiped to rule the house of God.

Blessings In Him :)

Honibee-
I agree with you as to Paul's word inspired by the Holy Spirit...A man who cares for the house of God, must be able to rule his house well.
Having said that...let me say that Paul was refering to his children being in subjection to their father who aspires to be a pastor and his children being saved kids (cross reference to Titus' passage on this).
I went through a tough divorce. I sinned in the divorce. I will not make myself appear to have been an "innocent party" in that. I have confessed it, I have repented, I have sought forgiveness of my family and friends offended, and have sought to serve the Lord. God has restored me. I am now a pastor of a church that God is blessing.
Where I am thankful is that though I have made mistakes and fallen down...my children are all serving the Lord. My next to oldest son, who was the most critical of me through my divorce...is now my associate pastor. All of my children say that I taught them well...and live for the Lord today becasue of that. The one big sin I committed did not erase the years I dedicated to them as a loving father...although my act of divorce was not loving at all...and more selfish. They also know my heart and see that I desire to do right and live for the Lord. They do not look at me as someone who is weak or not able to lead by example. They see God's hand on my life and His grace and it has made them stronger. I think that is the heart of what Paul was talking about.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that a person who has sinned in their past is limited in God's calling and gifts .Romans 11:29 says that God does not change iHis mind about our gifts and calling, though we have sinned. Though tradition has said that divorce is the one sin to keep men from the pastorate, it is a forced interpretation on 1 Timothy 3:2 ,which says in the original that the pastor must be a "one woman sort of man", in other words, not flirtatious or a ladies man. It speaks of his present character, not his past sin.
If this were the case, then David would have never been given the right to continue his ministry as a divinely ordained King, after his adultery with Bathsheba. David is a case of a person whose heart was right. David confessed his sin and changed his way. God gave David grace, inspite of David's failure. That is the message we need to get out today. Grace is so great that we do not recognize it. We do not deserve anything we have because of our sin. I do not deserve to be a pastor, but because of grace, God has given me this ministry. That is how great grace is. It is not a message that we are rewarded for sin. Mercy and grace follow us all of our days as God's children. That is the blessing of His love.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your earlier post, Honibee.

Your brother,
David Whitaker, PhD

Upvote 0

Honibee

Sep 20, 2005
✟18,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
dwhitaker said:
Honibee-
I agree with you as to Paul's word inspired by the Holy Spirit...A man who cares for the house of God, must be able to rule his house well.
Having said that...let me say that Paul was refering to his children being in subjection to their father who aspires to be a pastor and his children being saved kids (cross reference to Titus' passage on this).
I went through a tough divorce. I sinned in the divorce. I will not make myself appear to have been an "innocent party" in that. I have confessed it, I have repented, I have sought forgiveness of my family and friends offended, and have sought to serve the Lord. God has restored me. I am now a pastor of a church that God is blessing.
Where I am thankful is that though I have made mistakes and fallen down...my children are all serving the Lord. My next to oldest son, who was the most critical of me through my divorce...is now my associate pastor. All of my children say that I taught them well...and live for the Lord today becasue of that. The one big sin I committed did not erase the years I dedicated to them as a loving father...although my act of divorce was not loving at all...and more selfish. They also know my heart and see that I desire to do right and live for the Lord. They do not look at me as someone who is weak or not able to lead by example. They see God's hand on my life and His grace and it has made them stronger. I think that is the heart of what Paul was talking about.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that a person who has sinned in their past is limited in God's calling and gifts .Romans 11:29 says that God does not change iHis mind about our gifts and calling, though we have sinned. Though tradition has said that divorce is the one sin to keep men from the pastorate, it is a forced interpretation on 1 Timothy 3:2 ,which says in the original that the pastor must be a "one woman sort of man", in other words, not flirtatious or a ladies man. It speaks of his present character, not his past sin.
If this were the case, then David would have never been given the right to continue his ministry as a divinely ordained King, after his adultery with Bathsheba. David is a case of a person whose heart was right. David confessed his sin and changed his way. God gave David grace, inspite of David's failure. That is the message we need to get out today. Grace is so great that we do not recognize it. We do not deserve anything we have because of our sin. I do not deserve to be a pastor, but because of grace, God has given me this ministry. That is how great grace is. It is not a message that we are rewarded for sin. Mercy and grace follow us all of our days as God's children. That is the blessing of His love.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your earlier post, Honibee.

Your brother,
David Whitaker, Author: Rull Restoration

Pastor, I appreciate your perspective, and agree that God is forgiving, that sins of the past don't need to determine the present or future. Sir, I don't know your situation personally, but true repentance would include a forsaking, and turning away from the transgression, sincerely working to reconcile with your wife, as scripture teaches the divorced should do. Or to remain single if that is not an option (again, I don't know your circumstances).

Yes, Paul is speaking of children being in subjeciton, but the marriage relationship is very much a 'mainstay' of that household. In Malachi it is stated that divorce, 'dealing trecherously with the wife of one's youth', puts one AGAINST God. Scary place to be- and not a position to lead others TO God.

My words may not be the most popular, but I've come to realize the Lord is to be worshiped with obedience. One facing temptation, and overcoming it, by the power of the Lord, is the one who has authority to lead others.

It's a difficult era to pastor, and my prayers are with you, sir. Thank you for responding to my posts. Blessings in Him.

Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0

breathingforJC

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
✟198.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I may be a little late for this topic but it caught my eye, cause my pastor married a lady who had been divorced. The bible talks about a person who is married and remarries commits adultry and the other with them

Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

My church had a sturggle with deciding if he should be our pastor or not, but God has blessed us with him very much. I can't tell you how much our church has grown. If it is the will of God let it be.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but didn't God tell one man to marry a harlot? I realize it was to give an example of what God's love for us is, but if God says for a man to be something, why should they be made to back down by anyone less then God?

Just looking at that I would say whatever God says goes, and if God is telling your friend to be a pastor then let him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
breathingforJC said:
I may be a little late for this topic but it caught my eye, cause my pastor married a lady who had been divorced. The bible talks about a person who is married and remarries commits adultry and the other with them

Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

My church had a sturggle with deciding if he should be our pastor or not, but God has blessed us with him very much. I can't tell you how much our church has grown. If it is the will of God let it be.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but didn't God tell one man to marry a harlot? I realize it was to give an example of what God's love for us is, but if God says for a man to be something, why should they be made to back down by anyone less then God?

Just looking at that I would say whatever God says goes, and if God is telling your friend to be a pastor then let him

I appreciate what breathingJC said...it is spoken out of a spirit-filled heart. Sometimes we get too caught up with what others have said God's Word teaches, when it is not in fact, God's Word at all. I am amazed at the lack of teaching out there. This is one of the reasons that I wrote Full Restoration:Rethinking Issues Concerning Divorced Pastors, because I believe there are sooooo many people who are hurting and need the truth that sets free. I grew up a fundamentalist believer, and am still a strong, Bible-believing Christian, but I have found so much Pharisaical teaching and actions in the church today that it is quite disturbing. However, I am thankful that there are Spirit-led, spirit-filled believers who are full of grace, and still speak the words of God Himself! The idea that a man whose wife has divorced him should reconcile with his wife, once he is remarried, is in itself unbiblical. Should he work to seek her forgiveness concerning the divorce and heal the relationship and not be bitter-absolutely! However, that he is perpetually in a state of adultery, is to consider him as committing the unpardonable sin. The only unpardonable sin in Scripture is denying the power of the Holy Spirit. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that a person who has sinned, any sin, in their past is limited in service to God if he has confessed, repented and fully restored.

We don't have to see this teaching as accommodating the world and promoting the sin of divorce..no, it is accommodating the truth that God restores fully, and as far as the east is from the west He remembers our sins no more, that God's gifts and calling are irrevocable (Romans 11:29). He knew what sins one would commit even before this person became a leader, deacon or pastor, but God did not keep His power, gifts and calling from him.
The blood of the cross was to cover our sins, past, present and future. God did not give grace, that sin may abound..but he did die so as to be our advocate if any man does sin.

Thanks for the encouraging post!

David Whitaker

Upvote 0

Honibee

Sep 20, 2005
✟18,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
breathingforJC said:

Hi Breathing-

Growth really isn't an indication of God's blessing. Remember in the wilderness, when the children of Israel demanded meat, instead of manna? God gave them what they wanted- but the result was LEANESS TO THEIR SOULS.

Yes, we can demand our own way in things with God. And He will give us what we rebelliously demand- the result is poverty to our soul.

There is too much at stake, as a layman in the congregation, to knowingly sit under the ministry of one who has put themselves against God in the act of divorce (Malachi 2).

To address one more issue- the one with the spirit of the Lord, is the one who walks in obedience. Jesus had this mind, and 'did all that the Father had given Him to do'. Most of the time it flew in direct contradiction to the pharisaical dogma of the day- just as it does today. John tells us in his gospel, that the Spirit of the Lord would bring attention to the Lord- to His ways, He would remind us of HIS words, so we could obey. The spirit of the Lord is full of power to obey- He's all about our holiness.

Upvote 0

walkin2e

Sep 28, 2004
Blackshear, Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟9,781.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God will use you...He called you and ordained you to preach His word..and nothing shall oppose His plan for your life:

SITTING ON THE BENCH FOR JESUS

Many of God's servants are waiting on the bench for the Coach to put them in the game. They have prepared for the the day, time, and hour when the LORD nods His head, points His finger, and says "Okay, it is time for you to take the position you have prepared and practiced so hard and so long for. It is your time."

In the Bible are many examples. Joseph, the dreamer, was preparing, waiting for that day, time, and hour when God gave the okay, and he was promoted to the position that God had ordained for him. Moses, David, Paul, and many others were the same way. Even Jesus, who knew more about the Father, and had so much to share, sit on the bench until God's time was right.

The LORD has taught me the value of waiting on His timing many times over the past 18+ years. I would like to give two examples.

The Holy Spirit had spoken a word to me that I would be preaching on the radio. Days, weeks, months, and a year passed. During this time, I was studying God's word, praying, preaching at some other places..yet, the Holy Spirit often spoke to me on this. About 14 months after I received the word to preach on the radio, I was sitting on my back porch, meditating on God's word. Suddenly, the LORD spoke to me and said, "Tonight, at 6:45, I want you to start preaching on the radio." It was Wednesday afternoon, about 1:30. I said, "Okay, Lord. I'll go over to the radio station, and inquire about having a 15 minute program." I drove the eight miles to the station, went inside and asked the radio station manager about a program. He said, "Normally, we don't have preaching on Wednesday evening, but I can give you a fifteen minute slot starting at 6:45 P.M. You can begin tonight. It will be $25." So, I paid the man, and preached that night. Many who were going to a Wednesday night service heard me. This mission the LORD gave me lasted for 18 months. No one supported me (financially) yet the LORD made a way. The Holy Spirit had spoken a word to me, yet I had to "sit on the bench" until the time of the word came. PSALM 105 verse 19 ''UNTIL THE TIME THAT HIS WORD CAME: THE WORD OF THE LORD TRIED HIM."

I was praying for the LORD to open a door for me to preach. He spoke to me and said, "You will be preaching a sermon at your old home church, in the new one they built." I replied, "Lord, they are not going to invite me to preach. I don't go there anymore (the Lord had moved me because I was not being utilized there) and besides, the leadership has not recognized the call on my life is from you." He replied, "Have faith." A few months later, I was sitting at the coffee shop reading the paper. I turned to the obituaries, and read where a friend of mine had died. At the bottom of the article, these words jumped out at me: "And preaching on her funeral will be the pastor of the church (my home church), and Irvin Rozier." Well, that was me and the funeral was the next day. I arrived, and the pastor met me, and said "You go first. Do as the LORD leads." This was God's plan. I did preach at my old home church just as the LORD had said.

I recognize that the LORD will place you where He wants you....and nothing shall oppose His will.

I hope this is an encouragement. Wait on the leading of the Holy Spirit and on God's timing.

Acts 16 verse 7 "After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not."

Irvin L. Rozier

I am divorced, too...My wife walked off and left me and three small children. I was not saved then, neither was she. About 19 months after she left, the Lord saved me, and called me to preach...despite being divorced. I have won many to our Lord, and have encourged weary pilgrims.

Walkin2e

Upvote 0
C

Christina M

breathingforJC said:
ISomeone tell me if I'm wrong, but didn't God tell one man to marry a harlot? I realize it was to give an example of what God's love for us is, but if God says for a man to be something, why should they be made to back down by anyone less then God?

Yep..... it was Hosea. He watched his wife carry on with other men.... he even took care of her WHILE she was unfaithful. Then he nursed her when she was broken and devastated.

Why would anyone think we are any different???

Only religious spirits would. How sad. :o

Upvote 0

dwhitaker

Aug 17, 2005
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
I am reading many things that have an element of truth about them, but incorrectly applied misses the target. I had some very excellent arrows, with sharp broadheads, and a very good compount bow...I can't stress the value of having good equipment when it comes to harvesting game in the hunt...but even the best equipment is of little productivity if I do not aim at the target and hit it!
So too, are statments with Biblical truth in them like obeying what Jesus has said. Who can argue the value of this good biblical truth that we must obey Christ? The problem is, as good as obedience is...who and what are we obeying? If you say that the Bible teaches that a man who has sinned in his past cannot or should not serve preaching or pastoring, and using the gifts that God has given him, post confession, post repentance, post healing of relationships and serving Christ, what is it that this man, to you, should obey?
To not serve preaching, pastoring, using the only gifts God has given him to lead others? How can I obey that which the Bible does not teach.

Please, someone, show me a verse or two verses that says that God takes away your gift of ministry because of past sin. It is not there. Yes, obedience is excellent, but it must be that which God has spoken very clearly about. Is the practice of divorce treachery? Absolutely. Does God hate divorce? Yes, He does. However, God also forgives those who have divorced and whose hearts are turned toward Him, like David.

Also, my good friend, please search history, and not the Bible for this...because it does not support the idea of "laity" and "clergy" either. This is a fabricated teaching of men, who lifted up men above the people as a special class of men. This is a doctrine that God hates. Pastors are gifted believers in the body just as every other man. Should he live godly? Yes, and so should every other believer who serves Christ. Part of the problem with men who fall to various sins in the church is that they don't feel they can connect with people who see them as lifted up on a pedastol. They must be like superman...and the higher they are lifted by men's expectations, the harder they fall. It is true. I am not blaming others, for one person's sin...but I believe the church today has to take some of the responsibility for the rising number of pastors who are divorcing (12%) according to one study.
Take your pastor off the pedastol and get him down to the people where he belongs. My emphasis dear friend, is not that the pastor should let down his living as an example and being obedient...it is that he is human and will fall down...and when he does...we have to have the right theology about that fall to restore him. The church is employing the wrong theology about restoration!

We need to be a whole lot more about grace...and less about our ability to appear perfect. I grieve when the same ones who argue that a divorced man does not have the right to be in the pulpit, have a pastor, are a pastor, or know a pastor that has been married to the same woman forever...but his heart is not right and has no business being in the pulpit.

I pray that God will deliver many who should be in the pulpit, but who are not because of those who piously think they don't deserve God's grace to be there. Well, the truth is, they don't deserve it...but God gives His grace to allow it...that is what grace is...undeserved favor. Who among you are without sin? Cast the first stone!

David Whitaker

Upvote 0