Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An even larger issue , in my mind , is the fact that twenty years ago people in the church still cared about this problem and now people in the church have more or less accepted it as normal.

Perhaps 20 years ago divorcees were automatically put out of the church, now some more liberal churches perhaps permit them to remain.

If everyone who has a divorce is put out of church membership, then the % of church members who are divorced will be zero.

I think the RCC and AOG perhaps refuse to admit full membership to divorcees?

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,512.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The teaching on divorce in the Church has been the same for 2000 years going back to people who actually spoke Greek and clearly knew the meaning of the words in the New Testament.

This only changed in protestant churches in the last half century or so and it changed not because of better understanding of scripture but because of giving in to the pressures of the culture and the unwillingness of Christians to actually obey Jesus.

Regarding the greek vocabulary and divorce...

Matthew 5:31-32 (KJV)

It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away (GR: Apoluo) his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement (GRL Apostasion): But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away (GR: Apoluo) his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced (GR: Apoluo) committeth adultery.

Same verses in differing translations...

(NIV)
It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

(ESV)
It was also said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.'
But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

First note... as you can see pretty much every translation agrees that "putting away" is synonymous with divorce. This is because its obvious in the greek text that the terms are all used to refer to the same thing and Apostasion clearly identifies it as a divorce.

Second note, if you were paying attention to the text, you would know that Jewish law forbid "putting away" a wife WITHOUT giving her a bill of divorce! This is precisely why God was angry with the Israelites in the Old Testament who did this. They were breaking the law. Thus the assumption of all law abiding Jews was that to put away (apoluo) a wife was synonymous with divorcing a wife (apostasion) which is exactly what the text says.

In Matthew Jesus only addresses the woman and says that she commits adultery if she remarries (as does the man who marries her)

However in Luke 16:18 Jesus makes clear that this applies to both the man and the woman.

(ESV)
""Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery."

The issue is again re-iterated in Mark 10:2-12

In this particular passage the Pharisees test Jesus. The passage again outlines that under the Law of Moses to put away a wife REQUIRED a writ of divorce. The two are synonymous.
It was not legal or allowed by God to "seperate" without divorce.

Jesus again makes clear that those who divorce commit adultery if they remarry.

The argument has been presented that the greek "apoluo" is different than the greek "lusin" used in 1st Corinthians and that "lusin" refers to divorce, while "apoluo" only refers to seperation without divorce. While this idea is simply not possible under Jewish law as has been shown.. it is also not a valid argument based on the greek.

Apoluo and Lusin have fundamentally the same meaning. They, in fact, come from the same root.

Lusin is a noun meaning "a loosing" or "a setting free"

Apoluo is verb formed from a compound of "apo" meaning away and "luo" meaning "to loose", "to set free" "to let go" etc.

Apoluo is simply the verb form of Lusin. They mean the exact same thing, only one names the event and the other is the action of the event.

The argument about divorce vs seperation is further destroyed earlier in 1st Corinthians chapter 7 when Paul speaks about the issue of divorce between believers and unbelievers. He outright says if the unbeliever seperates and departs, that the believer is not bound. The text is NOT distinguishing between seperation and divorce. It is using the terms synonymously.

The "Pauline" exception given in 1st Corinthians chapter 7 regarding an unbeliever divorcing a believer is the ONLY circumstance in which a Christian is permitted to remarry after a divorce.

The reason for this, which Jesus outlined, is that when believers are married there is a covenental, sacramental bond created by God and that is not disolved by getting a divorce under human law. That sacramental, covenant bond still exists and that is why any believer who divorces and remarries commits adultery. Because in God's eyes they are still bonded to their original spouse.

Paul gives the exception to this because God only creates this covenant, sacramental bond when both parties (husband and wife) enter into the marriage with the intent of actually being joined in that bond.
Thus if one person is an unbeliever, they did not have the intent to enter into that bond and thus the marriage can be disolved by divorce.

Why do you think, when Jesus gave his teaching on divorce, all his disciples said "this is incredibly hard! if this is true it would be better never to get married!"
They didn't say that because Jesus told them they can't just seperate and then pick up a new girl, but they have to actually get a divorce... that was already required by the Law of Moses and they had no problem with that.
what they were shocked and dismayed by was that Jesus essentially told them there is no divorce. Even if you justly seperate (for adultery), you are not divorced because you can not remarry.

In modern terms, the problem is not seperation or even disolving the legal ties... it is the idea that you can remarry at your discretion.

Addendum...

I wanted to add this note. Given the abysmal understanding of marriage in most of the evangelical churches today, it is entirely possible that there are many married christians who got married with no intention of having a real sacramental covenant relationship as Jesus describes. As a result, there are probably more than a few christians whose marriages would fall under the exception catagory described by Paul.. not because they are not believers, but because they never had the intent to enter into a true sacramental marriage covenant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why is there such a disagreement on the subject of divorce?

All sides of the argument use Scriptures to support their view.
The subject has been greatly misunderstood.
Some Scriptures have been wrongly translated.

The hurt and destruction caused by the false teaching on the subject of divorce is too great to imagine.

Some have taught that all divorce is sin. The truth is that most divorce is sinful, but in a few cases there is a truly innocent party who is not guilty.

Some
have taught that remarriage is committing adultery.
This has caused many divorced and remarried people to feel as though they have committed an unpardonable sin.
Many so-called "Christians" have treated many remarried people as though they had committed an unpardonable sin.

A murderer can be forgiven and become a pastor, board member, or respected member.
A divorced and remarried person, in many congregations, will never be allowed to sit on a board, be a minister or pastor, and sometimes will not be allowed to be a member of the church.

This additional unpardonable sin, that many congregations have added to the Word of God, has done great harm to the gospel.
It is simply a misconception of the truth of Scripture.

Others
have taught, with the aid of their set of Scriptures, that divorced people may remarry, and not be sinning thereby.

Yet, the Word of God has only one truth to teach.
Both ideas cannot be correct.
The Bible does not contradict itself.
When the true understanding of the Word of God is known,
all the Scriptures will agree.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God is divorced!

This is startling to many.

Yet in Jeremiah 3:8, we read:
"I (this is God speaking) have put her away,
and gave you a divorce..."

God divorced Israel, who was called God's wife.
Her sinfulness caused God to divorce her.

So, when converts to the Lord, find that some Christians stigmatize them for a divorce and/or remarriage, don't be discouraged.

There are many today that have misunderstood the teaching of the Word.

They may try to put the divorced/remarried in the same corner as those who have sinned an unpardonable sin... but the Lord God Himself is understanding.

He too knows what a failed marriage is like.

God did not sin when he turned away from Israel.
Israel sinned and caused the divorce.

God therefore can understand and empathize with the divorced and/or remarried of today.

There is no lack of harmony of Scripture on the subject.

There is a lack of harmony of doctrinal dogmas in the congregations of today.

Some have held their views so long, and are so adamant about their false doctrines, that it is hard to even get them to look at the true meaning of the original words.

They have erred in the fact that they have not studied this doctrine before condoning it.

Pray for them, and pray for the injury they do to hurting and bleeding saints who are damaged by the false dogmas on this subject.

There will be a 'remarriage' too.... We call it the 'marriage supper of the Lamb' where we will celebrate the remarriage of God...

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Tough to go thru a divorce. We still have hard hearts just like when Jesus said thta was the reason that God allowed Moses to give a divorce law.

I have no study that says this, but the reason I think Christians get so many divorces is because of how legalistic we are. We are told a long list of things are sinful. We don't talk about ourselves doing those sins, so they get ignored. Because its preached these things are so sinful we feel really guilty about them and our spouses feel extra pain because we haven't delt with the issue early and its made to be so evil that one has to feel hurt even more when its done to us. I see all this making recover from the sin that caused the separation even harder.

Then there are the issues we have money so we can get along without each other.
There are 10,000 things we can get interested in, which leaves us going different directions as the years go by.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In this particular passage the Pharisees test Jesus. The passage again outlines that under the Law of Moses to put away a wife REQUIRED a writ of divorce. The two are synonymous.
It was not legal or allowed by God to "seperate" without divorce.

Not true, there are Jewish women today who are put away and not seperated.

Quoted with permission:

Jewish Women in Chains

by Norma Baumel Joseph

[In discussion with brethren on a certain list regarding my stating that the Jewish men were “putting away” their wives and not divorcing them (as per Deut 24:1-4), the reply was that what I said was untrue. It was truly amazing how they took up for the Jews. In doing some internet surfing I ran across an article, “Jewish Women in Chains,” that indicates that what I was teaching is still being practiced today.]
Jewish divorce, like any other, can be simple or complicated; a release or a tragedy; straightforward or a swindle. It can set people free to resume or reinvent their lives, or it can embroil individuals and families in a never-ending cycle of abuse. The intent of rabbinic Judaism was to ensure a tolerable disengagement. Regrettably, the current implementation of the halakhic (Jewish legal) system does not meet that minimal standard.

Many individuals, women and men, rabbis and volunteers, have labored to maintain a fair practice. And in some cases it does work.
However, the biblical account of divorce found in Deuteronomy, while accepting marital breakups, establishes a procedure that is at the heart of the problem. "When a man has taken a wife, and married her, and it comes to pass that she finds no favor in his eyes, because he has found some unseemliness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorce, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." (Deuteronomy. 24: 1-2) Clearly, the man is the initiator, the actor. And while rabbinic law established that there need be no grounds for divorce other than mutual consent, it enforced the structured order of the verse: the male is the active legal principle. He must initiate, author, and give the document to her. She receives it and only then is free to resume control.

While in most cases Judaism's tolerant acceptance of divorce enables a decent split, in too many situations this male prerogative becomes the means for extortion, vengeance and affliction--certainly not a biblical ideal. Thus, although her consent to the divorce is necessary, the woman is still at the mercy of the man. In the course of the development of Jewish law, many improvements have been incorporated into the system in an attempt to limit the man's unilateral power and prevent the misery. The rabbis were aware of and sensitive to women's vulnerability. But... A Jewish divorce requires a get, a document that a man freely gives to his wife and she must voluntarily accept. Without this document neither partner may remarry according to Jewish law. Today, this affects Conservative, Orthodox and all Israeli Jews. The Reform movement often relies on local civil divorce courts and the Conservative movement has empowered its central court to intervene and act unilaterally to effect a divorce when there are insurmountable problems.

But throughout Israel and in the Orthodox community outside of Israel, the pattern of insisting on the biblical directive has left too many women agunot. An agunah is a woman who cannot remarry because her husband is unable or unwilling to give her a get. The term literally means "anchored" or "tied down" and is first found in verb form in the biblical story of Ruth (1:13). The original talmudic use of the word was limited to cases in which the man had disappeared and literally could not act as a legal instrument in the Jewish divorce proceedings. Recently, popular usage has expanded the term to apply to all cases of women who are unable to remarry because their husbands will not acquiesce and give the divorce document.

The problems for women within this system are obvious. Procedurally dependent on her husband and on a rabbinic court, her future children also become pawns in this tug of war. If a woman without a get gives birth, her newborn children will be considered the product of an adulterous union and hence be categorized as mamzerim, Jews who are not allowed to marry other Jews. There is no remedy. To be sure, both a man and a woman can be found guilty of adultery, but the category depends on the marital status of the woman only. The applicable result is that the woman suffers the most from an incomplete divorce: not only from the possible consequences for future children, but in being chained to a marriage that has for all intents and purposes ended.

The irony is that if the Jewish process of divorce was established to set one free, even to encourage remarriage, the current reality is one in which the process itself has created a group of people who are not free. And the numbers and problems are increasing--but the numerical dimensions of this issue should not become the primary consideration. Our social activism should not become a matter of counting heads. Where there is injustice, we are commanded to pursue justice. I personally know many silenced women suffering the fate of an anchored life. Their stories, not their numbers, are our call to action.

For Jewish society today, for all of us, divorce constitutes a major moral problem. Not because of the increase in numbers or because of the guilt of either party, but because of the inequities of the process and the indifference of the larger community. People no longer married, no longer living together, are still tied to each other. Bound together and abandoned. The credibility, viability, and continuity of Judaism are on the line.

The proliferation of unsettled cases has convinced many individuals and organizations to come forward. There are solutions and vehicles for action. Social awareness and education are the first steps. In the necessarily incomplete list that follows, there are numerous groups and resources available. Some organizations have taken on the task of working with individual cases, others have promoted educational formats. Working within both the secular and Jewish systems, activists have initiated both civil and halakhic remedies.

Regarding the article below, Howard Justice and David Willis have said I misrepresented the writer. Read it carefully and judge.
Mike Willis, an ultra conservative preacher and long time editor of Truth Magazine (now Guardian of Truth), gave the following exegesis of Deut 24:1-4:

“A reading of this passage demonstrates that Moses was trying to legislate in such a way as to aid the woman because of the manner in which man was abusing her. According to what I can understand was happening in the days of Moses, a man would put away his wife without any concern for her future. She would not be free to go out and marry another man and yet she could not live with her husband. This left her in destitute circumstances quite frequently. Hence, what Moses was trying to legislate was something that would aid women who had been put away by their husbands.”

“The Mosaical legislation said that if a man was going to put away his wife, he had to give her a bill of divorcement that showed that she was free from him and had the opportunity to remarry. Hence, it was designed to protect the women from the harsh treatment husbands were giving to them."

Mike Willis Dayton, Ohio Truth Magazine XXIV: 14, pp. 227-230 April 3, 1980.

http://www.totalhealth.bz/divorce-and-remarriage-jewish-women-in-chains.htm

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I am an attorney, and a good chunk of my practice is divorce. I have been asked by other Christians how I can do this as a Christian. And, my answer is usually that divorce is sometimes a necessary evil, and it is better to have a compassionate lawyer, especially one who is a believer, helping divorcing couples through the process. I have had clients who have divorced for all sorts of reasons, ranging from mere boredom on one extreme to horrific abuse on the other. What I can say is that, in every case, for whatever reason, the marriage is not working. In some cases, it is my sincere desire for my client that he or she take steps to reconcile with their spouse. However, in other cases, I am convinced that staying married is the worst thing that a person can do, especially when the marriage is defined by abuse, addiction, and codependency.

The point is to make a blanket judgment of people who have been divorced is just wrong. Some people get divorced for very selfish reasons. Some people get divorced for very good reasons. Most people who get divorced have some mixture of motives that is neither all good nor all bad. But, like all of us, people who are divorced are sinners in need of a Savior and many people, despite knowing Jesus, nonetheless find themselves going through divorce. And, this fact alone is not an appropriate basis to judge them.

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am an attorney, and a good chunk of my practice is divorce. I have been asked by other Christians how I can do this as a Christian. And, my answer is usually that divorce is sometimes a necessary evil, and it is better to have a compassionate lawyer, especially one who is a believer, helping divorcing couples through the process. I have had clients who have divorced for all sorts of reasons, ranging from mere boredom on one extreme to horrific abuse on the other. What I can say is that, in every case, for whatever reason, the marriage is not working. In some cases, it is my sincere desire for my client that he or she take steps to reconcile with their spouse. However, in other cases, I am convinced that staying married is the worst thing that a person can do, especially when the marriage is defined by abuse, addiction, and codependency.

The point is to make a blanket judgment of people who have been divorced is just wrong. Some people get divorced for very selfish reasons. Some people get divorced for very good reasons. Most people who get divorced have some mixture of motives that is neither all good nor all bad. But, like all of us, people who are divorced are sinners in need of a Savior and many people, despite knowing Jesus, nonetheless find themselves going through divorce. And, this fact alone is not an appropriate basis to judge them.

Agreed, and hoping my situation does not have to end in divorce. Still holding out hope for reconciliation. gg

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
This is the toughest trial I've been through yet. After much prayer before and after I realize it was Gods grace that saved me during this time. God knows our hearts sometimes he allows us to be set free. It added years to my life but I couldn't just say its Gods will for everyone. We all will stand before him one day. Sometimes when people say I can't it really means they won't. Only through talking to him in prayer and waiting for your answer can someone truly understand his will for the rest of our lives. God bless you all I will keep you in my prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Without a doubt the most common sense answer.

From my reading and study, as long you PROVIDE a bill of divorcement it is enough- the jews had a habit of slinging the partner out without one - hence causing adultery. This makes more sense to me.

If the scripture really mean't all divorce was sin - we might as well, take our medicine - repent and move on.

No big deal.

Who wants to remain in a marriage that is clearly going nowhere. Life is too short to be a martyr.

Besides, if the get out clause is commit FORNICATION, that looks like an even bigger step to me.

No I am starting to believe when you read that passage that Jesus is saying, "whoever divorces his wife(without providing documentation to the contrary) - THEN blah blah blah.

Any thoughts...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think God is definitely and solidly on the side of marriages staying together but there is that pesky little thing called "free will". Also I would never support a marriage that involves abuse sexual or physical. The pattern of repentence and reoffense are all too prevalent in these cases and at a point enough is enough.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I read 1st Corinthians chapter 7 versus 12 through 16 2nd Corinthians chapter 6 verse 14. I really believe that if two people who know christ and his love and are living in his will for their life wouldn't seek a divorce. There are small foxes that get between couples. There are many ways to be unfaithful to both God and your spouse. Infidelity can occur in none sexual ways. Your spouse can commit financial infidelity, emotional incest, and many more things that I consider fornication. Or simply as Paul stated your spouse may be a non believer living a lie to save face. These little foxes soon turn into raging wolves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
True so are you saying that they should stay together because they are believers. I believe this myself as only sexual infindelity is mentioned in the bible as a valid reason. Like I say I also add abuse issues to it as well. My husband a Christian has chosen to leave, I believe he is in need of spiritual rejuvenation but so am I he is just the one less willing to turn to God for help. I am holding out hope for a reconcilliation but as I said there is the pesky thing called 'free will'.

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My case is similar - my wife has decided to put the shutters up for whatever reason and then claims to have been "neglected" or "abandoned" - you can't have it both ways - if you are not willing to sit down, talk, seek counselling sensibly, their is not much the other party can do.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I believe there are so many circumstances involved. One thing I look at is our lord said what god has joined together let no man put asunder. What if the marriage wasn't ordained by god but of our own choice? Its impossible to apply our own experience with divorce to someone else. I know a young man who I thought should give up to me his wife was beyond help in the drug world. Well God didn't give up their family has been restored. She told me she realized that God kept her from dying until she went into major rehabilitation. A lump was in my throat when she told me she was taking 50 oxycodone a day she was 88 pounds at that time. No one should be alive from that but God wasn't giving up. On the other hand after we separated my ex wife brought to bare her true person. I pray she seeks christ.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Our faith in these matters must be unwavering. As well as spiritual discernment. The young husband for mentioned is a Christian. He had his first encounter with the holy spirit during this time. Also he received a question from god. The lord asked him I forgave you why can't you forgive her. I believe when someone is going through a huge callenge like divorce, there is no room for legalism. Only our walk with christ will see us through. My self I could careless what the legal people think. It our lord I seek to glorify.

Upvote 0